Home PEx News and Tech Local and Foreign Issues
COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

Blast from the past... The Scrapped FVR National ID Scheme in 1997

"Like the Big Brother figure in George Orwell’s novel 1984, the government will use the ID system to monitor the actions and trace the whereabouts of common people as well as perceived dissenters and those branded as enemies..."

- The Public Interest Law Center (PILC)

---

"...Why is it that the proposal for a national ID system was being pushed mainly by military and para-military agencies in the government, including the National Security Council?"

- (former?) KMU general secretary Manuel Sarmiento

================

"The ID will record information about the bearer such as date of birth, occupation, residential address, tax and voter’s ID numbers, blood type, allergies, as well as Government Service Insurance System and Social Security System numbers if the bearer is a member."

---

"Eight national government agencies will take part: the Department of Health, the Govern-ment Service Insurance System, Social Security System, Department of Interior & Local Governments, Presidential Management Staff, the National Economic Development Authority, National Statistics Office, and the National Computer System. Money for the project will come from the budgets of these eight agencies."

---

The KMU said the ID system could lead to repression of labour and cause-oriented groups. KMU general secretary Manuel Sarmiento called AO 308 a "prelude to the establishment of a virtual police state."

"With such an ID system, labor organizers and human rights advocates will find it almost impossible to organize in communities where local officials connive with owners of establishments in keeping workers unorganized and therefore, cheap," he said.

Although President Ramos has assured the ID system shall not in any way invade the privacy of the people, leaders of each group contested this claim and said the scheme is a direct attack on the people’s rights.

"This is an outright lie, otherwise, why is it that the proposal for a national ID system was being pushed mainly by military and para-military agencies in the government, including the National Security Council?" Sarmiento said.

"What the Marcos dictatorship could not do, the Ramos regime has now done. We oppose the national ID system and will resolutely fight its implementation," he concluded.

---

Atty Capulong said Mr Ramos, with one stroke of the pen, violated at least four constitutional rights: the non-impairment clause of the right to travel and liberty of abode; the right to privacy and to be let alone; the right against self-incrimination; the right to dissent; and possibly the right against unreasonable searches without probable cause.

"We call on the people to show that they are aware of their rights and will vigilantly guard these rights by not participating in the national ID system," said a PILC statement signed by Capulong, Marie Yuvienco, Edre Olalia, Marichu Lambino and Juname de Leon.

--

source: http://www.cpcabrisbane.org/Kasama/V11N1/Ramos.htm

Comments

• Human Rights advocates in the Philippines have predicted a civil disobedience campaign against the Philippine Government’s adoption of a national identification system. On January 8 this year President Ramos issued Administrative Order 308 after the Cabinet unanimously endorsed the scheme.

Politicians as well have commented that AO 308 was issued under dubious circumstances.

Senator Orlando Mercado, the Chairman of the Senate Committee on National Defense and Security, said, "The order was signed on December 12, 1996. It was supposed to take effect immediately. Why was it issued only now? Are they hiding this from scrutiny?"

Mercado issued a statement saying, "The administrative order creating an inter-agency committee to draft the implementing rules and regulations must be expanded. Representatives from the private sector and Congress must be included to ensure the system would not encroach on basic human rights. Congress must thoroughly study this proposal to determine if a law is necessary to implement this."

Makati Representative Joker Aroyo said AO 308 is unconstitutional since it bypassed Congress. Arroyo plans to raise the issue before the Supreme Court. He said the order has the effect of a law but is being "deceptively passed off" as a mere executive issuance. He pointed out that there is a "whale of a difference" between the law-making powers of the legislature and the rule-making authority of the President. Thus, President Ramos usurped the powers of Congress when he issued the order on the ID system.

He also said, "Four months ago, the Liga na mga Barangay was pushing for both the people’s initiative and the ID system. Now you find PIRMA promoting the same initiative and ID system. Same banana." [See article about PIRMA, Signing Up For ’98 on this page.]

Senator Edgardo Angara commented, "It is ironic that despite the accolades we have been reaping as the only democratic country in Asia to rebound from an economic slump, the administration seems bent on pushing back that positive trend."

Senator Angara also believes that the full-on campaign of pro-administration groups in support of a national ID system and lifting the constitutional ban on a second presidential term betrays Ramos’ intent to cling to power beyond 1998.

Sen. Miriam Defensor-Santiago said, "Implementing the national ID plan would be like creating another National Intelligence Coordinating Agency, that obscure and ominous body whose unsavory task includes filing and compiling dossiers on perceived threats to the administration."

source: http://www.cpcabrisbane.org/Kasama/V11N1/Ramos.htm
  • i hope we and the arroyo people can learn something from the experience we had with the scrapped ramos national id scheme...

nakakatakot talaga kapag naipatupad itong national id scheme na ito... yung epekto nito sa civil liberties ng ating mamamayan.
  • it is not the civil liberties that we should be worried about . it should be the security and safety of decent people.
  • I'm worried about my civil liberty also but I'm also dead worried about the upsurge of the crime incidents in the country, the epidemic of the highly fashionable money launderers, the fastest market-niching business of KFR and Drugs!

I believe that if we are really concerned about our civil liberty, then should start thinking about our social welfare and safety as well. These criminal elements will not do us good either... so I think implementing this law would somehow help curb these crimes committed against CIVIL-LIBERTY-LOVING people!
  • it is not the civil liberties that we should be worried about.

HAH HAH!

[/quote]it should be the security and safety of decent people.[/quote]

i'm worried about my safety too, but not at the expense of giving up my privacy and my cherished liberties. i'm not ready yet to give corpuz, PNP's reynaldo berroya and other military people those extraordinary powers they seek. i don't want to make it easy for the military/police/kidnappers to harass polical opponents and extort money from innocent civilians.

i just dont trust perez, wycoco, berroya, corpuz, and mendoza enough eh...
  • I'm worried about my civil liberty also but I'm also dead worried about the upsurge of the crime incidents in the country, the epidemic of the highly fashionable money launderers, the fastest market-niching business of KFR and Drugs!

you address the problem not by overreacting, and not going for the "quick fix" solution. the upsurge in KFR and bank robberies was the result of putting kidnappers and ramos boys like berroya, corpuz, and larry mendoza in high ranking PNP positions. we need the national id like we need a hole in the head. we need a total revamp of the pnp. sack berroya, mendoza, and corpuz first, then i might consider this national id thing.

i really miss the old days, when KFRs were down and kotong incidents were down, and bank robberies were down... and the police look clean and physically fit and not like potbellied hoodlums that we see today. pati inquirer, they dont report most kidnapping cases anymore, i guess to give the illusion that all is well in our society. pero kung babasahin mo yung mga ibang dyaryo, may kidnappins pa rin, sometimes umaabot ng 3 kidnappings per week. pero hindi mo mababasa ito sa PDI. they're protecting GMA, i understand.

booming industry na naman ulit ang Kidnap-for-ransom ngayon. i blame FVR's boys in PNP leadership positions for this.
  • Originally posted by krove

you address the problem not by overreacting, and not going for the "quick fix" solution. the upsurge in KFR and bank robberies was the result of putting kidnappers and ramos boys like berroya, corpuz, and larry mendoza in high ranking PNP positions. we need the national id like we need a hole in the head. we need a total revamp of the pnp. sack berroya, mendoza, and corpuz first, then i might consider this national id thing.

i really miss the old days, when KFRs were down and kotong incidents were down, and bank robberies were down... and the police look clean and physically fit and not like potbellied hoodlums that we see today. pati inquirer, they dont report most kidnapping cases anymore, i guess to give the illusion that all is well in our society. pero kung babasahin mo yung mga ibang dyaryo, may kidnappins pa rin, sometimes umaabot ng 3 kidnappings per week. pero hindi mo mababasa ito sa PDI. they're protecting GMA, i understand.

booming industry na naman ulit ang Kidnap-for-ransom ngayon. i blame FVR's boys in PNP leadership positions for this.

:lol::lol::lol: tama ka talaga . Ang galing mo! *okay*
  • krove, unjustly harrasing political opponents and other immoral acts against innocent people is a safety and security concern, not just a mere civil liberty. civil liberties should be curtailed to protect good decent people. not to commit immoral acts against good decent people. between civil liberties and safety & security, safety & security is alwasy more important. ( but if by curtailing civil liberties you also threaten the security and safety of good decent people , then such activities must not be allowed)
  • EgozumEgozum PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    AFTER 50 Years....

PSA targets 4th quarter as start of free registration for national ID

Published August 7, 2018 4:57pm 

The Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) on Tuesday said it is aiming to start the public free registration for the national ID before the end of 2018.

"Gusto po namin ma-launch ang registration, fourth quarter of this year," PSA spokesperson Lady Tuble said in a Super Radyo dzBB interview.

"Wala pong bayad sa initial registration. Lahat po ng magre-register ay for free except 'yung resident alien. Hindi pa po namin nadi-discuss kung magkano bayad ng renewal," she added.

Tuble said the PSA, which is the implementing agency of the national identification system, is about to draft the laws, rules and regulations for the national ID.

The new national ID aims to unify all other existing government-issued IDs, including PhilHealth, GSIS, Pag-ibig, SSS, NBI, TIN, postal ID, barangay, and voter's ID, according to Tuble.

It excludes the driver's license, issued by the Land Transportation Office, and the passport.

"Hindi pa po magme-merge ang mga ID na 'yan nang basta-basta. Sisimulan po namin ang registration bago po tayo mag-move on sa merging ng mga systems. Ayaw naman nating gulatin ang mga citizens so paplanuhin namin ito," she said.

Registration centers will be set up by the PSA and other government agencies, including the Commission on Elections, the Department of the Interior and Local Government, local government units, and select government-owned and -controlled corporations.

Tuble said all age groups could be issued a national ID, but the PSA has yet to discuss registration for those below 18 years old.

Acquiring the national ID will not be mandatory. It will include details such as the citizen's full name, birthday, marital status, blood type, citizenship, address, mobile number and email address, with the last two being optional.

"Du'n po sa ID na i-i-issue, marami tayong ilalagay na security features para mahirapan ang mga gustong mameke ng ID. Du'n naman po sa side ng system, marami rin pong security measures na ilalagay para as much as possible ma-secure ang information ng citizens," Tuble said.

She said the registration process should not exceed an hour.

President Rodrigo Duterte signed the Philippine Identification System (PhilSys) Act into law on Monday.

An initial funding of P2 billion has been earmarked for its implementation. —

• joerizjoeriz PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    "The ID will record information about the bearer such as date of birth, occupation, residential address, tax and voter’s ID numbers, blood type, allergies, as well as Government Service Insurance System and Social Security System numbers if the bearer is a member."

To be added, to take current technology advances into consideration... cell phone numbers and membership username in Facebook, Instagram, Tinder, etc.

• neinsagerneinsager PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Ano naman kaya ang requirements nito? Baka mamaya mag-require sila ng government issued IDs eh di malaking kaput*anginahan yan.
  • gotta lick itgotta lick it PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    dapat umpisahan nila sa Mindanao. the crime rate is very high and most are not reported. pasok labas pa sa Indonesia at Malaysia.
  • elBartoloelBartolo PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Political Will. Hindi kaya gawin ng previous admin, pero sisiw lang kay Duterte.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file