Should Tertiary education be free?

razzer_risingrazzer_rising Please do not use prohibited words in your user title to avoid sanctions. ✭✭✭
Of course you know the inspiration behind this thread. Anyways, I think most pinoys believe college education is something na right of every citizen. I know in other countries it is not but given the views of many pinoys and the really low paying jobs that high school graduates get, should the government give free tertiary education just like in Elementary and High School?

Comments

• _Esther_Liu__Esther_Liu_ Banned by Admin PExer
    yes because most of the students don't have money to pay their tuition fees
  • KolmogorovKolmogorov Tzar PExer
    Of course gusto ko yan BUT:

1. Stringent academic requirements must be enforced, similar to maintaining an external scholarship grant. If a student wants something for free, he/she must do his/her part. This should be enough incentive for a student na magseryoso sa pag-aaral.

2. Of course, there will be students na mamomoblema sa acads so an appeal system must be in process pero kung ganun pa rin, the free tuition will be in danger.

3. Similar to DOST scholarship rules, those who opt not to pay for tuition must work in the Philippines for a certain number of years. Sa Singapore, ganito ang patakaran nila for students who want to avail of government scholarships. COntrary to popular belief, HINDI LIBRE ANG COLLEGE sa Singapore even among its citizens (mas mababa lang yung tuition nila compared to Permanent residents and international students)

4. Yung mga ayaw ng ganitong hassle must opt to pay for tuition instead.
  • Question : should the government give free tertiary education just like in Elementary and High School?

Answer :
    should - Yes.
    could - No.
    would - I do not know.
  • BeerhandBopBeerhandBop I Am WHIP ✭✭✭
    No it's not should be free. However it should not be a requirement to get a job. which is where k to 12 education comes in, just like in the states, most jobs only require a high school diploma.
  • djaynitordjaynitor Cheap Executive Orderly PExer
    FREE TERTIARY EDUCATION does not exist. In countries, where it appears to be free - Scandinavia and Germany - TAXES ARE SKY HIGH.

My take: tertiary education is a privilege not a right. User pays works the best. If you can't afford it, then work to be able to afford it.

--sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4
  • gotta lick itgotta lick it Member ✭✭✭
    edi .... mawawala nga blue collar job sa pinas.

whose going to plant rice, pick up the garbage, open the hotel door, fix the car engine, man the cannery, catch tuna, dig your grave, etc etc?

okay okay .... let give everybody a fair shake and make all of those jobs into a college course like BA in Cemetery Management, BS in Fishery, BA in Tin Can Management, BS in Car Maintenance, BA in Buttling, BS in Waste Management, BS in Rice Research, and etc etc.

ano everybody happy?
  • F-A SoldierF-A Soldier Your Personal Jesus
    LOL, contradicting statements on your first paragraph. :lol: It does not exist but you said that there are countries wherein free tertiary eduction exists.

Anyway, I agree that it is a privilege and not a right.

He said it 'appears' free, because you don't pay actual fees to the school.

Where you do you pay is taxes to the government which in turn pays/run the schools.

Tax system should be based on consumption, not income.

Why should people who do well be penalized, and not those who take most out of the taxes?

If you make a lot of babies, and you expect them to go get some free public education, you should pay more and not less.

It doesn't make sense that people who dip more gets to pay less,

Ron Paul 2016
  • WAHEEHEEWAHEEHEE www.waheehee.blogspot.com PExer
    Itong bang thread ay epekto ng pag-suicide ni Tejada sa UP? Yung freshman na hindi nakabayad ng tuition.
    LOL, contradicting statements on your first paragraph. :lol: It does not exist but you said that there are countries wherein free tertiary eduction exists.

In those countries where tertiary education APPEARS TO BE FREE - in actual fact EVERY TAXPAYER pays for tertiary education.

Is it fair for everyone to pay for someone else's education? I do not believe so. Not only is it unfair for those who pay taxes, but when services APPEAR TO BE FREE, it is wasted.

I believe that it is fairer for the individual to pay for his/her education. If s/he can't afford it, the s/he should get a loan.

Do you understand the term APPEARS TO BE FREE?

Rubbish! Then you can say that primary and secondary education here in the Philippines are not also free but "appears to be free" since people pay taxes and those taxes are the ones used by the government to send those children to schools. :rolleyes:

Come to think of it, TAXES is the "main" source for any government to subsidize the needs of its people.

So make up your mind. Is it free or not? We're not talking about the circumstances just yet (sky high taxes, people paying for your tertiary education, etc). Such a simple question?

Now do you get it? Or should I explain it again to you?

Bottomline: there is no such thing as a FREE LUNCH.

FREE EDUCATION really means 100% TAX-FUNDED EDUCATION.

• nikkilovenikkilove Member ✭✭✭
    tertiary education should not be free nor subsidized, but students should be assisted through student loans, without interest. that's non restrictive enough.

para walang talo ang gobyerno. minsan lang maglalabas ang gobyerno mga unang makikinabang nito, at ipapasa na sa mga susunod na magaaral yung bayad ng mga nakatapos.
  • nikkilovenikkilove Member ✭✭✭
    I take it back, that's the ideal.

pero I remember, were talking about the Phil, where maybe as high as 40% of our funds are corrupted,

ok lang palang subsidized ang edukasyon, why? cos its one of the few benefits which the poor can access directly,

with all the corruption and social injustices happening, its one of the few perks of the poor, keep it that way, til we rid the other govt agencies of corruption.
    nikkilove wrote: »
    tertiary education should not be free nor subsidized, but students should be assisted through student loans, without interest. that's non restrictive enough.

para walang talo ang gobyerno. minsan lang maglalabas ang gobyerno mga unang makikinabang nito, at ipapasa na sa mga susunod na magaaral yung bayad ng mga nakatapos.

Sino ang magbibigay ng student loan?

• sqloudanesqloudane Member ✭✭✭
    wala na bang study now pay later programs sa school?
  • It should not be free, on the condition that a K-12 program is implemented. Ang problema kasi sa atin, 16 years old gmgraduate ang students. Alanganin pa maghanap ng trabaho. Pag 18 sila gmgraduate tsaka natin masasabing college education is a privilege.
  • feifeikoklandfeifeikokland Member PExer
    Most European country free and college education nila for its citizen. Naaliw nga ako sa mga na meet ko na German and Swiss sa kanila daw free ang college wala dapat bayaran. Aliw yun ganun nohhh so halos lahat ng citizen nila college educated
  • popskypopsky Itatawid, ihahatid kita.. ✭✭✭
    djaynitor wrote: »
    FREE TERTIARY EDUCATION does not exist. In countries, where it appears to be free - Scandinavia and Germany - TAXES ARE SKY HIGH.

My take: tertiary education is a privilege not a right. User pays works the best. If you can't afford it, then work to be able to afford it.

Parang iba ang sinasabi ng konsti.
    Work? Yung mga tapos nga ng pag-aaral hindi makahanap ng work.

Paano uunlad ang bayan kung ang may kakayahan lang magbayad ng matrikula ang makakapag-aral? Hindi pwedeng pabalik ang logic ng pag-unlad.
    popsky wrote: »
    Parang iba ang sinasabi ng konsti.
    Work? Yung mga tapos nga ng pag-aaral hindi makahanap ng work.

Paano uunlad ang bayan kung ang may kakayahan lang magbayad ng matrikula ang makakapag-aral? Hindi pwedeng pabalik ang logic ng pag-unlad.

Ayon sa Saligang Batas ng 1987:
    ARTICLE XIV EDUCATION, SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, ARTS, CULTURE AND SPORTS

EDUCATION

Section 2. The State shall:

(2) Establish and maintain, a system of free public education in the elementary and high school levels. Without limiting the natural rights of parents to rear their children, elementary education is compulsory for all children of school age;

Link: http://www.chanrobles.com/article14.htm#.UUo42hzI0_g

Walang sinasaad na LIBRE dapat ang college/university level education.

Maraming trabaho na 'di kailangan ng college degree: taxi driver, automotive mechanic, electrician, call centre agent, etc.

Kung gusto mo libre rin ang college/university, kailangang itaas ang tax rate mula 32% hanggang 50% pataas tulad ng tax rate sa mga bansang Sweden, Norway at Germany. Eto ngang 32% nagrereklamo na ang mga tao, sa 50% pa kaya?

Bottomline: you don't get something for nothing!

• popskypopsky Itatawid, ihahatid kita.. ✭✭✭
    djaynitor wrote: »
    Ayon sa Saligang Batas ng 1987:
    ARTICLE XIV EDUCATION, SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, ARTS, CULTURE AND SPORTS

EDUCATION

Section 2. The State shall:

(2) Establish and maintain, a system of free public education in the elementary and high school levels. Without limiting the natural rights of parents to rear their children, elementary education is compulsory for all children of school age;

Link: http://www.chanrobles.com/article14.htm#.UUo42hzI0_g

Walang sinasaad na LIBRE dapat ang college/university level education.

Maraming trabaho na 'di kailangan ng college degree: taxi driver, automotive mechanic, electrician, call centre agent, etc.

Kung gusto mo libre rin ang college/university, kailangang itaas ang tax rate mula 32% hanggang 50% pataas tulad ng tax rate sa mga bansang Sweden, Norway at Germany. Eto ngang 32% nagrereklamo na ang mga tao, sa 50% pa kaya?

Bottomline: you don't get something for nothing!

Saan diyan nakalagay na pribelihiyo at hindi karapatan?
    Saan ka nakakita ng taxi driver na menor de edad?
    Most European country free and college education nila for its citizen. Naaliw nga ako sa mga na meet ko na German and Swiss sa kanila daw free ang college wala dapat bayaran. Aliw yun ganun nohhh so halos lahat ng citizen nila college educated

First of all, there are ten (10) European countries which offer FREE post-secondary education:
    1. Denmark
    2. Finland
    3. France
    4. Germany
    5. Greece
    6. Italy
    7. Norway
    8. Scotland
    9. Spain
    10. Turkey
    Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_education

That is 10 out of 47 countries which does not qualify as MOST.

In addition, tertiary education in Switzerland is NOT FREE. In fact, the average tuition fee for tertiary education in Switzerland is US$23,284:

Link: http://www.oecd.org/edu/skills-beyond-school/48631028.pdf

Therefore you are WRONG on both counts.

Secondly, these countries which offer free post-secondary education have HIGH INCOME TAX RATES way beyond the 32% maximum tax rate in PI. Right now, people are already complaining that they are paying too much taxes, what more if the tax rates are hiked!!!

Finally, if you are up to date with current affairs, you will realise that many European countries are GOING BANKRUPT because the level of social welfare they provide WHICH INCLUDES FREE EDUCATION is simply unaffordable and unsustainable!

Bottomline: AIN'T NO SUCH THING AS FREE EDUCATION, someone's gotta pay.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file