Home PEx Sports The NCAA Tourney

The uaap new residency requirement..will it be adverse to the NCAA?

tupangusatupangusa PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
we all heard the news about the other league's new residency requirement...what do you think will be its direct or indirect effect on the NCAA....will it benefit this league or will it be prejudicial to it! please post your comments!

Comments

• I think it will affect the NCAA.

1. The UAAP teams will just raid the high school ranks of the NCAA. I believe HS players from the NCAA can play agad. Saka let's face it, we have better HS players and they've been raiding our HS ranks for years. Mas lalo lang sila mag-fo-focus ngayon sa HS players natin.
    2. Binago din nila fil-for rule nila. Before, 2 years bago makalaro sa kanila. Ngayon, one year na lang. Parang sa NCAA na din. We just lost that advantage when it comes to hiring fil-fors.
    3. Pwedeng ang gawin ng mga UAAP HS students eh maglaro ng one year for an NCAA school, tapos transfer sa UAAP school of their choice tapos one year residency. Two years pa din hintayin nila para makalaro sa UAAP, pero at least may one year sila exposure sa NCAA. Although I don't think a school like San Beda Taytay with its strong basketball program will agree to this set-up, unless of course San Beda feels that they have a chance of making the boy stay.
  • summit012summit012 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    ncaa teams will now recruit from uaap hs teams.
  • I think it will affect the NCAA.

1. The UAAP teams will just raid the high school ranks of the NCAA. I believe HS players from the NCAA can play agad. Saka let's face it, we have better HS players and they've been raiding our HS ranks for years. Mas lalo lang sila mag-fo-focus ngayon sa HS players natin.
    2. Binago din nila fil-for rule nila. Before, 2 years bago makalaro sa kanila. Ngayon, one year na lang. Parang sa NCAA na din. We just lost that advantage when it comes to hiring fil-fors.
    3. Pwedeng ang gawin ng mga UAAP HS students eh maglaro ng one year for an NCAA school, tapos transfer sa UAAP school of their choice tapos one year residency. Two years pa din hintayin nila para makalaro sa UAAP, pero at least may one year sila exposure sa NCAA. Although I don't think a school like San Beda Taytay with its strong basketball program will agree to this set-up, unless of course San Beda feels that they have a chance of making the boy stay.

Bedan brother,

i'm sure you meant "hiring filfors" in a different way. baka sabihin we "hire" them talaga hehe!

moving on, I agree with you that UAAP schools would be looking further more into recruiting HS players from us. But they have been doing this eversince so it will be no surprise to us.

Affected din sa new UAAP rule and mga foreign recruits, who will have to serve 2 years residency if they were recruited from another school. Nadale si Mbala dito. So, if there are other foreign recruits being kept under wraps by any UAAP school, this might tick them off if they are to sit it our for another 2 years before they can actually play. Mas malala if their ages are already in the early 20's. magmamadali lalo maglaro ang mga yan.

Not sure about the rules here in the NCAA, pero pwede ba lumipat sa isa'ng NCAA school ang isang UAAP foreign recruit?
  • summit012 wrote: »
    ncaa teams will now recruit from uaap hs teams.

Meh. Ever wonder how a 5'7" player became UAAP Juniors MVP two years in a row? Is he really that dominant, a phenom, if you may, or is it more likely due to the fact that the caliber of players in his league was not much to begin with?

Slim pickings in this league, as they say.
  • This is a knee jerk reaction on the part of FEU' Anton Montinola whose prized hs standout is set to play for another school. Ang nakakapagtaka ay may mga school members na sumanayon!

Di niya siguro maatim na yung kanilang tinanim na punla ( Jerie Pinggoy) ay iba ang makikinabang. Anyway, whats the big fuzz about this kid thoug?. Its all about teamwork...you may be the best hs player now but if you cant jell with your new team, wala din. And another thing...Uaap has been raiding hs standouts from our league as far as i can remember but not all of these young turks delivered and turned out to be duds.

Recruitment war is fair game. Ilabas ang 'war chest' kung kinakailangan. Calling all loaded Alumni and boosters. Who knows this Jerie might just be another bust or a flash in the pan. Yung mga uaap hs na apektado, lipat na sa NCAA, yan lang ang nakikita kong pakinabang ng liga naten.
  • AltarBoy^_^AltarBoy^_^ PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Montinola is truly moving heaven and earth to preserve his grassroots program. And the arrest of Hargrove due to possession of marijuana just rubs more salt to the school's previous wounds from other schools raiding their stand-outs to game-fixing issues and an attempted murder. It's all tragic and ironic as far as the quest for basketball supremacy is concerned in the other side of the fence.
  • motuphils wrote: »
    Bedan brother,

i'm sure you meant "hiring filfors" in a different way. baka sabihin we "hire" them talaga hehe!

moving on, I agree with you that UAAP schools would be looking further more into recruiting HS players from us. But they have been doing this eversince so it will be no surprise to us.

Affected din sa new UAAP rule and mga foreign recruits, who will have to serve 2 years residency if they were recruited from another school. Nadale si Mbala dito. So, if there are other foreign recruits being kept under wraps by any UAAP school, this might tick them off if they are to sit it our for another 2 years before they can actually play. Mas malala if their ages are already in the early 20's. magmamadali lalo maglaro ang mga yan.

Not sure about the rules here in the NCAA, pero pwede ba lumipat sa isa'ng NCAA school ang isang UAAP foreign recruit?

Hehe. Yup, I meant recruit.
  • LSGH will largely benefit from this rule. Players will transfer to NCAA high schools to keep their options open, LSGH being pretty much the juniors team of the Green Archers as well. I don't think we'll see players transfering to the NCAA Seniors division but definitely we'll see a stronger LSGH and SBC HS team.
  • LSGH will largely benefit from this rule. Players will transfer to NCAA high schools to keep their options open, LSGH being pretty much the juniors team of the Green Archers as well. I don't think we'll see players transfering to the NCAA Seniors division but definitely we'll see a stronger LSGH and SBC HS team.

Pag basketball ang paguusapan, agree ako dyan, dahil bihira lang naman kasi ang magagaling na players galing sa UAAP jrs, unlike sa NCAA juniors, every year my blue chip at marami ka pwedeng pagpilian. Ang makikinabang siguro LSGH, dahil ang SBC-HS every year malakas naman talaga. AFAIK, minsan umaabot hangang Team-d juniors nila, kumbaga sila talaga destinasyon ng mga highschool players.
    And that "double-barrel" program just went up in smoke for CSB! But who knows, maybe we can still get scraps! :glee:
  • ylle45ylle45 Member PEx Icon 🎖️🎖️🎖️
    huwag sana gayahin, utang na loob hindi lang basketball ang NCAA or UAAP.

minsan kasi sa sobrang kasakiman sa talents sa basketball nakakalimutan paano naman sa ibang sports:glee:
    I think it's inevitable that some schools will do what they can to protect their student-athlete programs, under existing league rules of course. You either conform to new rules or you find a way to keep them.

And unlike in the US where they limit the boosters program, here we have a free-for-all when it comes to offering the "best" for student-athletes. And since it's "limitless" as far as Philippine Collegiate Sports is concerned, you can't help but wonder where they will nip this in the bud when sports supremacy becomes a pay-for-play scheme like in the pros. You either level the playing field through those who offer more than the rest or you violate a person's right to choose where to finish his/her diploma.

In the end, this new rule just proves that money makes the world go round. You just need to circumvent them in any way that you can when a new rule pops up. :smokin:
  • ylle45 wrote: »
    huwag sana gayahin, utang na loob hindi lang basketball ang NCAA or UAAP.

minsan kasi sa sobrang kasakiman sa talents sa basketball nakakalimutan paano naman sa ibang sports:glee:

yung sports maliban sa basketball ang pinaka apektado dito.
  • ylle45ylle45 Member PEx Icon 🎖️🎖️🎖️
    ^^kaya dapat mapigilan ang rule na yan.

paano kung HS nila ay all boys?:glee:

paano sila sasali sa women's sports lalo na sa women's volleyball na humihigpit na lalo sa recruitments.

stupid rule.
  • It's not like the DLSZ program will be killed as well. Remember that La Salle has LSGH. DLSZ players can play until third year, and if they don't feel like they'll make it to DLSU Team A they can just opt to transfer to LSGH, where their skills can be used as well. Having LSGH is a luxury Ateneo or FEU doesn't have.

Theoretically one can move to another non-UAAP school upon finishing third year, but I guess the schools won't make it that easy right? :naughty:
  • kingofmendiolakingofmendiola PEx Rookie ⭐
    ^^ De La Salle will really benefit this new Uaap rule. Having two highschool programs will be an advantage to its recruitment!
  • i'd like to look at the bright side.. didn't it occur to a lot of you that they may instead transfer to the NCAA and build their careers here? yes i'd probably agree that the cream of the crop are recruited in the UAAP but there are still a lot of players who i believe deserve a slot instead of serving residency or playing for the team b..
    ^^ De La Salle will really benefit this new Uaap rule. Having two highschool programs will be an advantage to its recruitment!

Matagal nang nakikinabang ang DLSU sa LSGH at DLSZ. Kahit nung wala pa ang rule na yan ni Count Tinola!

At hindi sila kilalang mahigpit sa mga homegrown talents na gustong lumipat ng either ADMU, UST, UP, or NU! :smokin:
  • Some of these standouts might opt to transfer to NCAA juniors but that is a bad thing. Magiging tool lang ang liga naten for them to make it sa roster ng any UAAP team that they're eyeing.

Isn't that the NCAA even in the juniors ranks require a residency for transferrees?
  • spongklong wrote: »
    i'd like to look at the bright side.. didn't it occur to a lot of you that they may instead transfer to the NCAA and build their careers here? yes i'd probably agree that the cream of the crop are recruited in the UAAP but there are still a lot of players who i believe deserve a slot instead of serving residency or playing for the team b..

Ang mahirap diyan, madami magiging "one and done" sa liga natin.

Let's take Pinggoy for example. He can transfer to an NCAA school next year and play right away. Right after the season, he can go back to his preferred school (ADMU). Since he's a transferee from the NCAA, one year residency nalang niya.

So he waited 2 years to play for ADMU, but then again, he was able to play for the NCAA for a year. He'll get better and more mature, and he'll get exposure. He won't get these things playing for ADMU team B.

Ang pwede mag-benefit dito eh yung mga weaker NCAA high schools. THey can serve as a bridge. By their 3rd year, pwede na sila ilipat from their UAAP HS to an NCAA HS where they can play 2 years. Hindi naman ganun ka-importante ang continuity sa HS unlike sa college na teams are looking for players that can play at least 3 years for continuity purposes. After graduation, they can then play right away sa UAAP.

Hindi mag-be-benefit ang SBC Taytay diyan. Eh hanggang Team D nga ang Taytay eh tapos malalakas lahat.