Home PEx News and Tech Local and Foreign Issues
COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

US backed Northern Alliance to crush Taliban

the us is making a big mistake by helping the northern alliance. the northern alliance is just like the taliban these people just like the taliban totured and skinned alive soviet soldiers they captured. these people are also muslim extremeist just like the taliban. the problem of the taliban is the fault of the us . the us should have let the soviets destroy the muslim rebels years ago instead of helping them, thse muslim extremist became morepowerful because of the aid and training the us gave them. and now the us has been bitten by the same monster that it made stonger.

Comments

• Originally posted by wolfkiller
    the us is making a big mistake by helping the northern alliance. the northern alliance is just like the taliban these people just like the taliban totured and skinned alive soviet soldiers they captured. these people are also muslim extremeist just like the taliban. the problem of the taliban is the fault of the us . the us should have let the soviets destroy the muslim rebels years ago instead of helping them, thse muslim extremist became morepowerful because of the aid and training the us gave them. and now the us has been bitten by the same monster that it made stonger.

you know that's what i was thinking re the US helping the N Alliance. how would we knw that if in the future the N Alliance will become the enemy? this kind of situation has happened before, with bin Laden's group in fact. now they are the enemy.
  • It is a right move for the United States to arm and support the Northern Alliance. After all it is still the legitimate government of Afghanistan still recognized by the international community, the impotent United Nations included.

In essence, the alliance will do the fighting for the Americans ON THE GROUND. The ground war then will be more effective to the US considering that the fighters of the Northern Alliance know the Afghan terrain much more than the Americans.
  • i disagree arcie, these muslims cannot be trusted , the only reason the us wants to support the northern alliance is because they do not want to use american ground troops. these muslims are no better than the taliban and the kla. they are all governed by warlords who are only interested in gaining more power for themselves( which is what the civil war in afghanistan is all about). if the us wants to stop terrorism it must be ready to accept american deaths in the "war against terrorism" , the americans should have learned from their mistakes in the balkans and the middle east and central and southern asia by now. but it seems that they have not. for if they have they would not even consider giving concessions to pakistan and/or aiding the northern alliance.
  • well said wolfkiller. im concerned that the american govt might make the same mistake again in arming the northern alliance. history has shown how arming the more secular iraq against iran resulted in the rise of saddam, etc, etc...
  • You have a point, wolfkiller, in your lack of trust of muslim fighters. But then the Northern Alliance would be used only to help destroy the Qaeda network, the capture or killing of bin Laden and the overthrow of the Taliban. I don't think the United States is interested in the ideology, religious or otherwise, of the next Afghan regime as long as it is not the Taliban.

Mhona, I'm afraid you misunderstood wolfkiller's mention of US mistakes in the ME , the Balkans and South/Central Asia. I hope I am reading his mind correctly-- that the United States should have finished off Sadam Hussein during the gulf war and the KLA during the Balkan war. Moreover the United States should have allowed the Russians to occupy Afghanistan.

Except for the last, I too would agree with him if that's what he means.
  • Even if the US will back the N.A. It'll take some time (and a lot of classified Spec Ops) to crush the Taliban....the N.A. occupies 10% of Aghanistan, mostly upnorth (duh!)
  • arcie, you are right in your interpretation of what i said. but mhona is also correct in her interpretation of what i said.
  • Originally posted by xyzseaman
    Even if the US will back the N.A. It'll take some time (and a lot of classified Spec Ops) to crush the Taliban....the N.A. occupies 10% of Aghanistan, mostly upnorth (duh!)
    I guess it may be correct to say that the Northern Alliance occupies 10% of Afghanistan, but does that mean the Taliban occupies the rest, about 90%? Not quite. There are only a few thousand hard core Taliban ... and they are in the Southern Afghanistan plains, where Osama bin Laden is believed to be.

Incidentally, the brutality of the Taliban against the non-Taliban population, will weaken themselves when faced with an opponent more proficient in fighting than the Russians and their cohorts. The US is going in without coalition nor guerilla forces. The principal objective will be the arrest of Osama bin Laden ... but most likely Osama will have killed himself ... really?
  • This is a real interesting discussion. I am just not accepting one of Kruger's original premise of "...a superpower that is after a (single) man for which they accused of a crime that they have no evidence of. "

The US, actually the whole UN, is not just after "a single man" (I don't mean unmarried), but after an entire network of terrorists' cells around the world. Bin Laden in Afghanistan is only the most talked about at this time.

The fight against Bin Laden and his followers is not going to be an easy one, especially in such geographical terrain. In that sense I agree with arcie when he says, "In essence, the alliance will do the fighting for the Americans ON THE GROUND. The ground war then will be more effective to the US considering that the fighters of the Northern Alliance know the Afghan terrain much more than the Americans."

Sometimes the US has to gamble in order to win, including employing the services of those who may eventually turn against them in the future. As in the case of the Taliban, the US was trying to fight the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan in the 80's so they armed and trained the opposition to defeat Russia. In a way, one can say that America won that war because it succeeded in getting the Russians out.

Therefore the US and UK have no choice but to use the NA to find and destroy Bin Laden and his followers. Notice I did not include ALL the Taliban people because a lot of them are now fleeing toward the refugee camps in droves.
  • Yeah and a lot of Afghans are getting pissed off with the Taliban...baka magkaroon ng internal revolt against those Taliban dudes...
  • Originally posted by Kruger

You may be right Gen-PEX, but I ask you this, Why is the US fighting back NOW? Is it because Americans were hurt? By who? by terrorists? By Bin Laden? Lets face it...they're fighting because their image was hurt. Their government even seem more concerned of their status in the hierachy of power rather than the people that died. Remember what the presidential spokesperson said a few hours after the WTC incedent..."The President is safe!"...duh. And like Rosanna said....they're really after Osama. I think that they would cool down once Osama is dispatched of

So you think we've only been fighting this war since the WTC massacre? Think again! If you think this is only about image, then peeps like you in QC aren't really that informed, are you? We've been fighting this war for years with our hands tied behind our back because we were afraid of stepping on other countries' toes. Now we have the justification to take the war to these terrorists and their organizations, not just Bin Laden. We can now enlist the aid of those nations who were either unwilling or indifferent, to help us.

The President is the CINC of the armed forces and the leader of the free world. It's only prudent that we take steps to protect the National Command Authority. That may not mean much to people like you in QC, but it does mean something to people in the US and the armed forces.

You think it's going to cool down once we get Bin Laden? Think again! We're prepared for a sustained conflict to eliminate terrorists organizations around the world. Not just to protect our citizens and interests, but to protect the democratic civilized world, including people like you!

If you think it's only about pride, then you just don't know what this war on terrorism is all about.
  • Originally posted by Kruger
    I did say Gen-PEX might be right. Dont get all wishy washy about anything I said:D You talk like WE her in QC are uninformed...sorry to dissapoint you...but WE are informed:cool:
    and you talk as if your an american?! are you? Just curious. I did not say that YOU are ONLY after Bin Laden. But that is the topic of this thread. America's pursuit against the perpetrators of the WTC "massacre". Although I'd cosider American soldiers guilty of killing a much bigger number of innocent people to protect the "National Command Authority". Well, that's my view, it may mean nothing to you, but it does to me. ;)

Nope. Just someone who graduated from Baguio Patriotic High School and a Louisian. That pinoy enough for you? And who constitutes the National Command Authority? Did you know that there are pinoys in the US Armed Forces? Bet you didn't know that. Ask xyzseaman.
    Originally posted by Kruger
    And yes I do know the war on terrorism, you may even consider me as a terrorist considering that I am not against communism. Sorry to say this but I think that you are the one that is not well informed. Peace man!:cool: All you hear is America's side.....Hell, maybe all I hear is the others side...of how many innocent people die by Americas hand...of how AMERICA instigates war to be able to sell arms...of how high and mighty america is....of how they shoot Filipino children in the fromer US bases with the reason..."WE though they were wild boars". I'm not saying that america is bad...but I am saying that SOME are...just like some Filipinos are bad. Wait...I'm out of topic here.

We're cool, don't worry about it. But I'll have you know I was stationed at Clark with the 1961st Communications Group and my brother also at the same time with the 3rd Security Police Group. I know what really went on there. We were there, were you?
    Originally posted by Kruger Anyway, just wanted you to know that WE Filipinos are not as naive as some Americans think.

I hope so, seeing as how you peeps get cable and are on the internet.
    Originally posted by Kruger
    Hope you dont take this the wrong way...this is a very healthy discussion. :D

And thanks for the input. I must say, I did not know some of the things you said....SOME.

Hey, if I seem abrasive, that's just the way I type (talk). Ain't nuttin but a thang.
  • i think the US would be walking a very thin line if they choose to arm the N. Alliance to crush the Taliban. as some of you have already mentioned, the N. Alliance may not be radically different from the Taliban's ideology anyway. nobody really knows for sure, i think. besides, i think there's more to the Taliban's success in Afghanistan than just an extreme view of Islam. i belive that it's more like a "tribal thing". Pashtuns (who make up the majority) dominate the Taliban and that's why it has considerable support. does the Northern Alliance have a Pashtun presence (i'm not sure whether they do have one or not)? it would always be disastrous to interfere in a virtual civil war. maybe by studying the reasons for how the Taliban came to power (secular government's corrupt ways, poverty, etc) and addressing those would be the wisest thing to do right now.

just get Bin Laden (isn't that the main thing anyway?) for the meantime and see if isolating the Taliban from the rest of the world works.
  • Like i said in another entry somewhere. Plant mushrooms in afghanistan and you can look at a nice period of peace and quiet. It'll be nice to see how many more morons would like to get martyred after that.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file