Home PEx Lifestyle Travel and Leisure

Russia Never Sleeps

Comments

• babylandbabyland PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    about the places naman that you visited, alin yung sulit and worth it puntahan?  there are places in your itinerary 
    that i wasn't able to go to in Moscow.  
  • devin_soodevin_soo PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    babyland said:
    hahaha.   i did warn u malamig ang russian winter! lolz   did u still go to the parks? sobrang lamig siguro dun hahahaha  bilib nga ako sa iyo, nagtravel ka ng winter season :D 
    @" yun tsar palace lang open. if given chance uulitin ko pa rin winter in russia. na impress aku sa pasensha ng mga russo sa lamig hehe

babyland said:
    where and what did you eat?  what food did you like?  Did you eat at the top floor foodcourt in mall beside Novotel? 
    yes natry ko foodcourt dun sa taas ng mall. nagtry aku nun parang japanese/chinese fastfood then subway and gelato. other meals dun lng sa tapat ng novotel KFC. hirap mag comunicate kasi. and i am looking din sa merong pork na sineserve.

hindi aku makain sa gabi nagpapakabusog kasi aku sa breakfast buffet ng hotel-isa sa mga nagustuhan ko na breakfast buffet ng accor. 

natry ko yun tepemok na russian fastfood. yun tour guide ko umorder ng mga food. 2 kinds and 2 kinds din ng drinks. tapos yun tinatinapay sa sergiev posad. miracle water sa sergiev posad-pinicturan ko lang. yun russian chocolates! masarap!! isa na dun yun may baby pic sa packaging "annika" ata yun basa ko dun hehe
  • devin_soodevin_soo PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    babyland said:
    hahaha.   i did warn u malamig ang russian winter! lolz   did u still go to the parks? sobrang lamig siguro dun hahahaha  bilib nga ako sa iyo, nagtravel ka ng winter season :D 
    naputol message ko. yes nakapag kolomenskoye park aku. dulo to dulo nilakad  ko kasi wala yun bus ng park hindi nag operate. hinanap ko yun picturan ng naka russian traditional clothes kaso sarado din. yun tsar palace lang open. so useless nilakad ko. picture lang sa paligid ng park nagawa ko :)
  • Maverick 168Maverick 168 PEx Rookie ⭐

Hi folks,

I’m currently planning my trip to this intriguing country later this year.

I have also read that this is the cheapest country to see Ms. Aurora at Murmansk, so I also included it to my itinerary, tick it out of my bucket list and put the Scandinavian countries on my least priority list to visit due to the cost.

I searched the net for the cheapest fare and flying through Hong Kong would come out on top via Aeroflot.

Which of these routing is better?

St. Petersburg --> Murmansk --> Moscow

or

Moscow --> Murmansk --> St. Petersburg

Fares on both routing are the same.

We're not into museums, so we would just take pictures of the architecture, then move forward.

Kindly comment also on the planned duration on each city if it’s feasible:

St. Petersburg – 3 full days

Murmansk – 2 days

Moscow – 4 days (including a day trip to Vladimir & Suzdal)

Thank you.

• NalaGidaNalaGida PEx Rookie ⭐
    wow, interesting thread. thanks for sharing your experiences and insights. wish I could also visit Russia in my lifetime, I’ve always wanted to go there. 
    edited January 2019
    @Maverick

I haven't been to Murmansk, Vladimir/Suzdal, so no comment.   But I suggest Petersburg 4 days and Moscow 3 days.  There are more things to see in Petersburg.   Yung days mo ba includes departure date na or are these full days?  If you will not go inside Museums, kaya ang Moscow in 1 day lang.  Then another day for Vladimir/Suzdal.  

If you can spare time and DIY ka lang naman, i suggest you stay longer so you don't have to rush. Mura lang naman ang food and accomodations sa Russia.  Parang pilipinas lang.   

I did do Moscow --> Petersburg.  Maybe its ideal kasi Petersburg is better for shopping, so after shopping, uwi ka na sa Pilipinas.

What month are you visiting? 
    @devin_soo,  

yeah! Sarap nung "Alenkha" (yun naman ang basa ko) Russian chocolates hahaha! Yung may baby!  I wished I bought more.   May russian borsch soup (tomato soup) ba ang breakfast mo sa Novotel?   hehe

Were you able to buy your FIFA souveneir?  

babyland said:
    @Maverick

I haven't been to Murmansk, Vladimir/Suzdal, so no comment.   But I suggest Petersburg 4 days and Moscow 3 days.  There are more things to see in Petersburg.   Yung days mo ba includes departure date na or are these full days?  If you will not go inside Museums, kaya ang Moscow in 1 day lang.  Then another day for Vladimir/Suzdal.  

If you can spare time and DIY ka lang naman, i suggest you stay longer so you don't have to rush. Mura lang naman ang food and accomodations sa Russia.  Parang pilipinas lang.   

I did do Moscow --> Petersburg.  Maybe its ideal kasi Petersburg is better for shopping, so after shopping, uwi ka na sa Pilipinas.

What month are you visiting? 
    Thank you for your reply babyland.

I plan to visit during the winter months between September to March, coz it's the period when the northern lights are visible.

My planned 3 full days in St Petersburg exclude the arrival & departure days already, then the fountains of Peterhof Palace during winter season are not turned on, so might skip it na. Do you think 3 days are not enough? Ano pala ang mga mabibili sa St Pete? Meron ba sila parang Izmailovo Market ng Moscow? I think cheaper ang mga mabibili doon in general due to the lower cost of living compared to Moscow.

I'm also into serious photography, that's why I allocated a day more in Moscow because I want to take landscape photography of the colorful Red Square in different times of the day (before sunrise, day time, sunset & night). I hope tripod is allowed there as I read different opinions all over the net. The different metro stations are worth visiting too.
    edited January 2019
    @Maverick,

Ah.  If that excludes arrival and departure, ok na 3 days in Petersburg.  But i suggested that kasi feeling ko, matagal ang 4 whole days in Moscow (excluding Arrival and departure),  especially if hindi ka pupunta ng museums.  So I moved the extra day to Petersburg.  Mas madali kasi mag-kill ng extra time sa Petersburg (you can go shopping, watch Ballet, watch a culture show, or you may decide to visit Peterhoff Palace after all)  Or if you want, you can move the extra day to Murmansk (to see the Northern lights perhaps?)  

Di ba chambahan din ang pag-appear ng Northern lights? So the longer you stay, the better your chances.

On second thought, if you are a serious photographer,  4 days in Moscow will give you more time to relax and take your perfect shot.  I didn't take that into consideration earlier, sorry.  

May mga nakasabay kaming class of Architecture students from UST in Petersburg.  If it matters, I think they pretty much skipped Moscow and stayed longer in Petersburg and other cities.  I don't know their itinerary though.   
    edited January 2019
    Everything you see in Moscow you can buy in St. Petersburg.  Same price or mas mura pa.  

If winter ka pupunta, I don't know if madami vendors na open sa Izmailovo market sa Moscow kasi hindi siya tourist season.  While St. Petersburg, sigurado open yan kasi tourist area yan whole year round.  

Mura mag shopping sa Russia.  Try their Russian Chocolates (buy it in Supermarkets/Groceries), its 70% cheaper compared to airport.  About half the price of Hersheys bars sa Pilipinas pero equally good!  I bought a Russian winter hat and military hat, some Mathrushka doll for my kid, and a russian musical instrument.  

^
    @babyland,

Thank you ulit sa mga suggestions. Will do more research for this trip. I hope @devin_soo can also share more details regarding his trip too.

Marami kasi akong nabasang blog about Moscow, but I guess some of the spots they suggested are not worth visiting, pwede ko bawasan ng 1 day.

Regarding Murmansk naman, it's true, we need luck & an expert guide to see Ms. Aurora. But if we stay too long there, wala kasing magawa during the day except the nuclear icebreaker ship, a monument & dog/reindeer sledding. Gagawa na lang kami ng maraming snowman to kill time  =)=)=)
    edited January 2019
    hahaha puwede ka gumawa ng Mrs. Snowman.  

Ang daming shopping area sa St. Petersburg dun sa area around Kazan Cathedral.  Almost every corner, may mga souveneir shops.  And then, mayrun din mga tiangge along the streets.  
    ^
    Which hotel did you stay in St Pete & Moscow?

Gusto ko malapit lang sa Kazan Cathedral & Church of the Savior on the Spilled Blood sa St Pete and Kievskaya area in Moscow, Accor hotel group have 3 properties there - ibis, novotel & aparthotel adagio. Any other suggestions?
    edited January 2019
    Sa Moscow, I stayed in Adagio / Novotel.  Very happy ako dun and value for money.  Location wise (near subway and mall), breakfast buffet, and room quality.  Mas affordable ang hotels in Moscow compared to St. Petersburg. 

I wouldn't recommend my hotel in St. Pete.  Kinalimutan ko na siya, I couldn't even remember the name! haha

I needed to take a subway ride from my hotel to Kazan Cathedral.  Mas mahal ang hotels in the Kazan area. 
    ^
    That's why I'm considering staying in Kievskaya area because aside from the nice accommodation & the mall nearby, the subway has 3 lines, so it's easier to move to other places. Is the Moscow International Business Center nearby worth a visit too?

Does the 3 Accor hotels (ibis, Novotel & Adagio) share the same breakfast restaurant? Or kanya kanya din sila?
    edited January 2019
    I wasn't able to visit the Moscow International Business Center.  

Different ang breakfast / restaurant nila but they share the same building entrance door.  Magkatabi lang ang lobby nila and you can walk and stay in either one.  I stayed in Adagio.   Room has small  kitchen, yun ang difference from Novotel.  If you don't plan to cook, i prefer Novotel although am happy with Adagio.  
    Did you visit Pushkin in St Pete?
    Yes I visited Catherine Palace in Pushkin.  Lovely palace and garden.  Highlight is the amber room.  If I had to choose though, i liked Peterhoff better. 
    The kitchen in the Adagio eats up some space.  Novotel rooms look more spacious kasi walang small kitchen.  
    ^
    I think I'll visit Peterhof too, since I have added another day to St Petersburg. Did you try riding the hydrofoil to go there?

Regarding the hotels, I'll just compare the rates of the 3 hotels as soon as I have booked our plane tickets already. But pwede na ang ibis sa amin kung malaki ang price difference to Novotel. Size ng room lang naman ang difference nila.