FEATURE ADJUSTMENT: The Flag button is temporarily unavailable for members. We are doing certain system adjustments as of the moment to prevent some users from abusing this feature. For reports, please message the moderators or email us at [email protected]
PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at [email protected] Thank you!

BS Medical Technology as a second course

Hi! Plan ko po mag-aral ulit this school year to take up BS Med Tech. Ask ko lang sana ano-ano pong universities ang tumatanggap ng second coursers?? Mga gaano katagal po kaya bago ako maka-graduate?? ma-credit po kaya yung minor subjects ko or back to first year ulit??

ito po yung mga choices ko na schools: FEU-Manila, CEU-Manila, CEU-Makati,

Nag-inquire and nagpa-evaluate na po ako sa Our Lady of Fatima Valenzuela, and mukhang ok naman dun,.na-credit yung ibang subjects ko, and kung magfu-full load ako every sem, in 2.5 years pwede daw ako maka-graduate..I'm a BS Biology grad nga pala..kaso ang prob ko sa OLFU is malayo sya sa amin and sa work ko..

I need advice/suggestions..thanks po sa mga sasagot :)

Comments

• anthraceanthrace Member PExer
    ^ Have you considered taking up a MS Degree major in Microbiology? Sayang ang time kung babalik ka pa ulit ng bachelors degree
  • anthrace wrote: »
    ^ Have you considered taking up a MS Degree major in Microbiology? Sayang ang time kung babalik ka pa ulit ng bachelors degree

yup, dati po I was torn between taking up a MS Degree and BS MedTech,.pero naisip ko po kasi, mas gusto ko magwork sa lab kaysa magturo, and my sister wants me to take up BS MedTech, sya po kasi magpapaaral sakin e hehe..She's now in US working as a PT, at first gusto nya ko mag-PT pero baka daw po di ko kayanin, so MedTech nalang, may opportunities din naman daw po doon ang Medtech..so ayun :)
  • nikkilovenikkilove Member ✭✭✭
    Med tech may not be as in demand as PT in the states, but it still consistently appears as one of the professions offered of working visas.

Staffing isnt much of a big thing for med techs since a hospital in the states would just need a limited number of med techs,

so most employers go for direct hiring and would not be required by the POEA to hire an agency for staffing and man power pooling.

thats why it seems their demand is scarce, but in reality, Med Techs have working visas.

and since youre sister is here. she would be able to find you an employer who would sponsor you. hospitals are more meticulous cos theyre the ones to pay for your processing, so better make good grades and experiences.

so go ahead, youd be done in 3 years. both schools are good. FEU has a strong alumni presence here in the states, including Med Technologist grads, in fact they have their own alumni association here. Im sure CEU also has their own, Im not just as familiar.
  • hi ate nikkilove, thanks po sa reply :)

yup sabi din nga ng ate ako mas in demand talaga ang PT kaysa MT sa US. At kung gusto ko daw talaga magwork dun as MT, kelangan ko galingan, as in dapat daw mag-top ako sa board lols..kanina lang kausap ko sya and sabi nya nga po mag-PT nalang ako kasi kahit daw less than a year lang ang experience sa PT, pwede na sa US, and mas malaki daw ang salary ng PT than MT..kaya lang mas gusto ko talaga magwork sa lab..naguguluhan na naman tuloy ako hahaha..iniisip ko din kasi yung years na gugugulin ko sa pag-aaral..parang mas matatagalan ako maka-graduate pag PT hays..
  • anthraceanthrace Member PExer
    yup, dati po I was torn between taking up a MS Degree and BS MedTech,.pero naisip ko po kasi, mas gusto ko magwork sa lab kaysa magturo, and my sister wants me to take up BS MedTech, sya po kasi magpapaaral sakin e hehe..She's now in US working as a PT, at first gusto nya ko mag-PT pero baka daw po di ko kayanin, so MedTech nalang, may opportunities din naman daw po doon ang Medtech..so ayun :)

kumuha ka ng MS and then try working on R&D institutions, more on laboratory pa rin naman ang ganoon.
  • Doc_DwardDoc_Dward Member PExer
    FEU, SLU, Velez College and UST are the consistent top performing schools in the Medical Technology Licensure Exams. Based on the choices that you have mentioned, I suggest na mag FEU ka.
    hi ate nikkilove, thanks po sa reply :)

yup sabi din nga ng ate ako mas in demand talaga ang PT kaysa MT sa US. At kung gusto ko daw talaga magwork dun as MT, kelangan ko galingan, as in dapat daw mag-top ako sa board lols..kanina lang kausap ko sya and sabi nya nga po mag-PT nalang ako kasi kahit daw less than a year lang ang experience sa PT, pwede na sa US, and mas malaki daw ang salary ng PT than MT..kaya lang mas gusto ko talaga magwork sa lab..naguguluhan na naman tuloy ako hahaha..iniisip ko din kasi yung years na gugugulin ko sa pag-aaral..parang mas matatagalan ako maka-graduate pag PT hays..

Hi PLMayer_xxvi.

Technically, H1B requires 2 years work experience in the Philippines. Some kasi would start applying after 1 year of experience, but since it takes almost a year, to get to the final step of the application, almost a year, by the time you need to submit your papers to be evaluated for visa processing, parang naka two years ka na, so I suggest for you not to resign yet from your work, til you really get the notice of action from the employer.

Between the two, PT pose more advantages, "as to application to the states per visa availability". This is due to several factors, first is the workplace setting.

There are several workplace settings which are approved to apply for working visas for foreigners.

There are nursing homes, sports clinics, industrial therapy setting, pediatric settings, out patients, hospices and hospitals.

ang alam ko kasi MT, hospitals lang. Local laboratories and small clinics/hospitals, are not approved for these. Kelangan kasi nila magpakita ng income nila as a company(not the the Med Techs) that they can afford to sponsor foreign workers.

so competition for application among Med Techs is really fierce. So kelangan talaga, your records should be impressive. Not because of visa requirements per se. But since hospitals would be directly hiring you, and would need to pay for your expenses, they would select the most likely candidate who they know can surely pass the US boards for Med Tech.

and since ilang med techs lang ang needed sa hospital, screening is really meticulous.
    PT is regulated in another way. the boards for PT are the most restrictive, in fact, many Phil board passers could not pass their US licensure exams. this is one way by which the US PT Organizations and the PT board, maintain the quality of the profession in the US.

Since may influx ng foreign therapists, independent bodies made the step to insure only the most qualified, be admitted.

Actually, kelan lang to, US boards, 2005 below, were said to be very easy. Even easier than the Phil boards. Kaya meron mga middle aged dito na PTs na nagtataka kami, parang wala namang alam, pero nakapasa.

But since the opening of visas for PT around 2006, the level of difficulty of the exams were said to have tripled. Thus the high casualty of applicants

Im not saying you cant pass PT, what im trying to say, each has their own obstacles for their applicants to hurdle. So if pipili ka ng course na alam mong may mas mataas ka ng chance to pass, by the virtue of your own skills and performance, dun ka.

kasi kung wala yung puso mo sa profession na pipiliin mo, lalamunin ka ng mga ka competition mo na may passion sa profession na yun.

Im laying the cards on the table for both professions, so you can choose decisively, knowing what lies ahead. Good luck. :)
  • deal_breakerdeal_breaker so handsome, it hurts PExer
    I'm not trying to say I'm better than you, what I'm trying to say is I'm better than ALL OF YOU.
    a smart person, would not take my post differently, from how its really meant. :)
  • Here a link to statistis of PT Licensing Exams in the U.S.

https://www.fsbpt.org/forcandidatesandlicensees/npte/passrates/index.asp
  • deal_breakerdeal_breaker so handsome, it hurts PExer
    yes, yes, understanding, I get it

"please understand my post"

"please don't take my post differently from what it really means"

"the world revolves around me and the United States"
    :glee:

Eh Pagpunta sa US ang tanong ng TS. Yun ang topic.

Sorry ka na lang. :hiya:
  • Doc_Dward wrote: »
    FEU, SLU, Velez College and UST are the consistent top performing schools in the Medical Technology Licensure Exams. Based on the choices that you have mentioned, I suggest na mag FEU ka.

hi Doc, thanks po sa reply. yup, first choice ko po talaga FEU. sana lang makapasa sa admission test nila at ma-credit ang minor subjects ko :)
  • Thanks po sa replies Nikkilove! Napaka-informative! :)

"kasi kung wala yung puso mo sa profession na pipiliin mo, lalamunin ka ng mga ka competition mo na may passion sa profession na yun."

- agree ako dito, that's why I'm choosing BSMT over BSPT na. Yes, mas in demand ang PT and they get higher salary, but di ko po kasi talaga makita sarili ko sa pagiging PT..so ayun, goodluck nalang sakin! hehe :)
  • viridansviridans Member PExer
    go for FEU manila. hehe. my former professors ay dun na nagtuturo. and my former classmate and schoolmate professor na din dun. magagaling talaga sila and they were all board topnotchers kaya di na ako magtataka na nangunguna ngayon ang feu manila sa MT boards. :)
  • boypalaboyboypalaboy Member ✭✭
    Both CEU Manila and FEU Manila are good MT schools. You can never go wrong with any of them. Pretty decent passing rates, and diligent students.
  • Nathalieone14Nathalieone14 Member PExer
    nkapag plano ka na if san ka magmedtech??:rotflmao:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file