Home PEx Lifestyle Body and Fitness
Reminder: You never know what someone is going through, so be kind.

Sleeping late after workouts

I do my workouts at least 3 times a week, whats bothering me is that will it stunned my growth or make my workouts useless if im going to sleep everyday from 2am to 9am? (late but still 7hrs of sleep)

Comments

• blakedaddyblakedaddy Moderator PEx Expert 🎖️
    stun or stunt?? Ilang taon ka na ba??
  • is there a thread on sleep?

if you are an urbanite I guess more than 5 hours of sleep is a pipe dream for most people. hehe

I know there is much sense in quality than quantity but getting that REM for the first hours maybe difficult for some.
  • tigas_ulo_kotigas_ulo_ko PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    i sleep everyday 12am to 7:30 am. with or without workout. i tried to sleep 9 or 10 pm pero di talaga ako makatulog. effect na napapansin ko is humihina yung buhat ko. pero sa muscle wala naman..
  • blakedaddyblakedaddy Moderator PEx Expert 🎖️
    ^ what do you mean sa muscle wala naman??
  • tigas_ulo_kotigas_ulo_ko PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    i mean di naman sya lumiit or nabawasan, fit pa din sa sleeves ng damit ko. pero dapat talaga sabi nung coach sa gym 10 pm na yung pinaka late tulog, kasi between 10 to 12 am dun daw na dedevelop yung muscle. ewan ko lang kung totoo yun.
  • i mean di naman sya lumiit or nabawasan, fit pa din sa sleeves ng damit ko. pero dapat talaga sabi nung coach sa gym 10 pm na yung pinaka late tulog, kasi between 10 to 12 am dun daw na dedevelop yung muscle. ewan ko lang kung totoo yun.

Just get some sleep in, so the important muscle-building hormones can do their work. Your body prefers sleeping around midnight because of elevated melatonin levels.

Don't overcomplicate things. Eat for your goals, train hard, get some sleep and don't kill yourself during training. That's 95% at the least of the battle that you have 100% control over.
  • vincexvincex PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    i mean di naman sya lumiit or nabawasan, fit pa din sa sleeves ng damit ko. pero dapat talaga sabi nung coach sa gym 10 pm na yung pinaka late tulog, kasi between 10 to 12 am dun daw na dedevelop yung muscle. ewan ko lang kung totoo yun.

There is a certain truth to that sleeping period and sleeping at 11pm for 8 hours is still better than sleeping the same amount of time starting at 2am.

Regardless, having exercise and sleeping late is more important than no exercise and sleeping early.

TS: can you text your actual schedule?
  • wow big words.. there is mention of specific hormones again hehehe

Can we rein in things a bit.

So how many hours of quality sleep is agreed to be beneficial especially to those who want to pack on muscles?

and oh melatonin release they say is very dependent on your exposure to light, even artificial ones. I am curious as to where that number came from?
  • Well the amount of sleep has always been controversial and is been on a debate for a long time.. Some say quality is better than quantity, and some disagree..

Regarding melatonin release, yes exposure to light even when eyes are closed are detected by our skin which is the largest organ.. tahts why my adivse to people with irregular working hours is to mimic and fool your body that its night..

Really dark room, Sound of the AC or Fan, Same bedtime routines.. etc. etc.

The rule i go by is get as much as sleep as you can :) specially daytime naps they do wonders for your body.. :) in general 7-9 hours of sleep ill say its ok with 30 minutes-1 hour siesta :)

Depends on each individual.. Some people are ok with 5 hours some are not.. it really depends.. Because most of us are not really hardcore proffesional athletes and most have jobs, family, a social life to balance than as a general rule sleep when you can, and as much as you can :)
  • anima9anima9 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I sleep at 10pm and wake up at 4:30-4:50-ish. Then I work out. I normally get at least 6 hours and I've been doing this for almost a year now.

I once did my workout at night (7:45 PM to 8:20 PM) but then I had trouble getting a good night's sleep. I'd often wake up at around midnight then most would be at 2 am or 3. Sometimes I feared my alarm won't be able to wake me up that I just end up with eyes closed while waiting for time to pass by. And I normally have to get up at 5-520 everyday.

What am I trying to say here? Your sleeping pattern should not change frequently. Hit a mark on your clock and always lie down on your bed when you see the hands getting near it. It's all about conditioning. It'll take time but if you get used to it, you won't even need to think about it.
  • vincexvincex PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    ^ that's a decent sleeping time but it would be nice if you can wake up and train later. also you may consider training at night rather than the morning even if you feel you can't sleep. It will take getting used to.
  • blakedaddy wrote: »
    stun or stunt?? Ilang taon ka na ba??

Stunt* Im 28 years old. Anyway Ive heard that no matter what time you sleep as long as your sleep is uninterrupted everything will be fine right?:D
  • centerfoldcenterfold PEx Rookie ⭐
    I sleep at an average of 7 hrs a day, uninterrupted. Pero antok na antok pa din ako pag.gising haha. I work out after office hrs. Tapos pag sunday, di ako nagssiesta.
  • pheiaoenixpheiaoenix PEx Rookie ⭐
    I have the same dilemma, though I'm not concerned with regards to my physical growth, rather it's more on the struggle I have for waking up early in the morning. I managed to get home by 8:30pm from work, and then I eat my dinner 1 hour prior to workout. So mga 9:30pm or 10pm na ako nakakapagworkout. Most of the time, it took me 1-1 1/2 hour of workout kaya mga 11:30pm na ako natatapos sa workout ko. Tapos, maliligo pa ako after nun, so by 12mn na ako nakakatulog....

Dahil siguro sa sobrang pagod ko ng kagabihan, sobrang late na ako nagigising, minsan 7am or 8am na, and I need to get off from my bed by 6am para di ako malate sa work.

Anung ma-iaadvice nyo sakin? Okay ba na magworkout na lang ako ng umaga or should I take my dinner right after workout? O may better advice kayo para sakin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • your workout seems long. can't you shorten it?
    modus_pal wrote: »
    your workout seems long. can't you shorten it?

I'm currently doing p90x that's why I can't shorten it. I'm well aware that workouts should last only from 30 mins to 45 mins for efficiency and to prevent possible overtraining , but I want to follow this program to a tee, thus to better judge the program by its results.

Likewise, my stamina isn't capable yet of doing the program without breaks, which add up to the long workout... Maybe I should try doing it as fast as I could manage.

But is there any suggestion out there, without shortening my workout time to less than an hour.
  • From work go straight to gym.. then eat after you workout..
    Besides that you can always do some workout during lunch or during breaks where you do a few chins or pulls or pushups..
    tanjol wrote: »
    From work go straight to gym.. then eat after you workout..
    Besides that you can always do some workout during lunch or during breaks where you do a few chins or pulls or pushups..

I'll take the first advise, I should consider taking my dinner after workout na lang. Unfortunately, I can not workout during breaks because that would also take some time to accomplish, considering the time constraint of 1 hour break.