Home PEx Lifestyle Body and Fitness
Reminder: You never know what someone is going through, so be kind.

Weight Training For Athletes

"The number one purpose of complete conditioning – including the physical, technical, tactical, and psychological aspects of training – is to improve the player’s ability to make the big play. Strength training is a vital part of complete conditioning. The primary function of the body’s 600+ muscles is to contract (shorten in length) to move body parts. And remember that only muscle can cause movement. The stronger the muscles and the more forceful the contractions, the faster the athlete will run, higher he will jump, further he will throw/kick, and harder he will hit. It’s that simple!"

- Joe DeFranco, Strength and Athletics Coach

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/38-articles/55-why-is-strength-training-important-for-athletes.html

Weight training's not just for looking good, it can be applied to almost anything; general health, athletics, strength, explosiveness, endurance, posture correction, etc.

But a lot of athletes get it wrong and they work out the same muscle groups that they use during their practices and games, when they should be training for a well-balanced physique to avoid injuries and faulty recruitment patterns, and to get the explosiveness and strength that can carry over to their sport.

Any athletic strength coaches, please feel free to give your opinions, and any athletes, please ask your questions so that someone more informed can help you out!

Comments

• Joe DeFranco built like a BA :)
  • Make sure in whatever you do, avoid getting injured. Get a coach if you are new to training. If you can't, then be careful and start slowly. Injury can set you back for weeks.
  • blakedaddyblakedaddy Moderator PEx Expert 🎖️
    how about the value of the nervous system??
  • blakedaddy wrote: »
    how about the value of the nervous system??

What do you mean?
    How the brain processes data and send impulses to the muscles to perform an action.. We can talk about speed, strength, force output etc but we must also take into consideration the brain's role
    benjobb wrote: »
    What do you mean?
  • blakedaddy wrote: »
    How the brain processes data and send impulses to the muscles to perform an action.. We can talk about speed, strength, force output etc but we must also take into consideration the brain's role

Of course, pattern overload is very necessary to become better and stronger at something, but it can also be bad for the athletes because of the imbalances they get. I've seen a lot of swimmers with internal rotation of shoulders because of all the forward motion they do, yet their coaches make them do the same movements in the gym lol.

On the brain though, I remember reading an article in the NY Times, the US government is actually going to attempt to map out the brain, which might have some carryover into sports. So we can find out once and for all the things necessary for becoming a great athlete.
    Pattern overload or pattern recognition?
    benjobb wrote: »
    Of course, pattern overload is very necessary to become better and stronger at something, but it can also be bad for the athletes because of the imbalances they get. I've seen a lot of swimmers with internal rotation of shoulders because of all the forward motion they do, yet their coaches make them do the same movements in the gym lol.

On the brain though, I remember reading an article in the NY Times, the US government is actually going to attempt to map out the brain, which might have some carryover into sports. So we can find out once and for all the things necessary for becoming a great athlete.
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DSJXIPlqGs

Might want to watch this guys, especially ts.
  • vincexvincex PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    There is wear and tear. And there is conditioning. 2 separate subjects that may overlap. That is why low volume power training is my bet for athletes.
  • Meanie!!Meanie!! PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    I don't want to start another thread for athletes who need conditioning for sports, check out joel jamieson's website.

http://www.8weeksout.com/phpBB3/

Havent really browsed the forums but the articles are very informative.
    ^good stuff but more applicable to knowledgeable fitness enthusiasts or coaches.. I prefer Martin Rooney's Training for Warriors or Easy Strength