Home PEx Lifestyle Body and Fitness
Reminder: You never know what someone is going through, so be kind.

Post Work Out food

Hi ano best kainin/inumin after mag work out? Would soy milk be okay? how about eggs? or peanut butter? ano pwede? my gym does not sell protein shakes kasi. hehe

Comments

• fitness mags says there should be 2:1 ratio of carbs to protein. do this 30 mins immediately after your workout.

the carbs should be something easily digestible though

also some say you can have starchy carb sources on days you lift and on rest days your carbs should come from leafy vegetables only..

thats just a survey. But I think the concensus here is eat sensibly with "tracking" your macros and timing is not really that important
  • Thank you! :) Can you give me any suggested foods? Lugaw na may itlog? Carbs at protein yun? Hahahaha ! :)
  • Meal timing doesn't matter to an extent, just don't fast for like 8 hours post workout. Eat when you feel like it and eat a balanced diet with fats, protein, carbs, fiber and lots of micronutrients. Count your macronutrients and calories if you want max results.

Soy milk is okay, Mcdonald's is okay, eggs are okay, peanut butter is okay, sandwiches are okay, fried chicken is okay, etc. There's not much of a difference in the body's hormonal response to foods that are "healthy" vs "unhealthy" and home-cooked vs. processed fast food like protein powder.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/hormonal-responses-to-a-fast-food-meal-compared-with-nutritionally-comparable-meals-of-different-composition-research-review.html

In other words, it's not a big deal despite what your bros at the gym tell you, that's science from the 1980's. Concentrate on counting your macronutrients and training smart and hard.
  • benjobb wrote: »
    Soy milk is okay, Mcdonald's is okay, eggs are okay, peanut butter is okay, sandwiches are okay, fried chicken is okay, etc. There's not much of a difference in the body's hormonal response to foods that are "healthy" vs "unhealthy" and home-cooked vs. processed fast food like protein powder.

Are you serious about this? Are you drinking some IIFYM kool-aid? Are you telling us that a diet of steak and potatoes is the same as a diet of Big Macs and fries?
  • simonsky96 wrote: »
    Are you serious about this? Are you drinking some IIFYM kool-aid? Are you telling us that a diet of steak and potatoes is the same as a diet of Big Macs and fries?

i think benjobb's point is being sensible with your choices. you can eat whatever you want as long as its within your macros.

some people dont have the luxury to cook things nor have the space to store things.
  • blakedaddyblakedaddy Moderator PEx Expert 🎖️
    Its not just about macros, its also minimizing refined sugars and processed foods
  • you can eat whatever you want as long as its within your macros.

I don't believe that sorry. For fat loss and recomp, it could and would work to some extent. But him talking about hormones and stuff? Really? Call me a bro-sciencist but dat shi cray!
    some people dont have the luxury to cook things nor have the space to store things.

some people also are committed, dedicated, hardworking, persevering, resourceful, and allergic to making excuses...
    What is wrong with the hormonal perspective and food?
  • There's not much of a difference in the body's hormonal response to foods that are "healthy" vs "unhealthy" and home-cooked vs. processed fast food like protein powder.
    Ok let's look deeper.. What about the affect on pur liver? How about the effects on our nervous system?
    simonsky96 wrote: »
    There's not much of a difference in the body's hormonal response to foods that are "healthy" vs "unhealthy" and home-cooked vs. processed fast food like protein powder.
  • ^If that's directed at me, I just quoted what benjobb said. I'm not that crazy to believe that a diet of fastfood is the same as a diet of unprocessed food.
  • Well at processed foods i can concede to that.

I am just having a weird notion that kids today are freakishly tall because of all the food that had hormones given to cattle and pork and mixed with milk to yield more gains.

And with the proceed food having estrogen like hormones or agents will definitely scare most guys.

Im really ignorant about how insulin works. Still confused about that so i cannot comment on how the body will react to refined sugars.
  • Well at processed foods i can concede to that.

I am just having a weird notion that kids today are freakishly tall because of all the food that had hormones given to cattle and pork and mixed with milk to yield more gains.

And with the proceed food having estrogen like hormones or agents will definitely scare most guys.

Im really ignorant about how insulin works. Still confused about that so i cannot comment on how the body will react to refined sugars.

Kids are not tall because of that. Where'd you get that info?

Sick food = sick body.

Insulin does one thing = makes things grow whether muscle or fat.
  • Processed food is bad of course if you get too much, but it's all about dosage of certain ingredients.

And I meant that individual food choices don't matter as much as your nutrient intake over time, and eating foods that agree with you. I didn't mean that a diet with only Big Macs and french fries, IIFYM, would be good for you, it's just that some people think that there are magic foods to eat at certain times.

It's all about eating what and when works for you while hitting certain nutrient goals (vitamins, minerals, macros) and avoiding heavy metals and overdosing on any nutrient that could be harmful. I'd feel like crap if I ate all my macronutrients and 3500 calories from McDo and micros from a multivitamin before I slept every night, and my workouts would suffer. But some people can pull it off.

Refined sugars can be addicting and mess with energy, but it's really individual. And the only time sugar's been proven to be harmful compared to other carbohydrates is when people get over 50 grams of pure fructose a day consistently. So you have to get 100g of table sugar (sucrose) every day for a long time to get any of the bad effects.

Personally, I think moderation is key. Eat whole foods when you can but nothing wrong with some fast/processed food once in a while.
  • I am just having a weird notion that kids today are freakishly tall because of all the food that had hormones given to cattle and pork and mixed with milk to yield more gains.

Kids that are tall are, on average, getting more food than those that are not.

Over the past few decades food has actually gotten much cheaper due to efficiencies and new technologies in agriculture, food production, transportation, storage, etc.
  • brianpex wrote: »

Over the past few decades food has actually gotten much cheaper due to efficiencies and new technologies in agriculture, food production, transportation, storage, etc.

Especially during puberty, if you don't eat in a surplus, you won't reach your max height potential, more so than any vitamin would help lol.
  • brianpex wrote: »

Thats what i thought too so I am just reading too much conspiratorial theories. hahaha

yeah the kids nowadays are blessed with better food thus better constitution.

much like how life expectancy is now a record high compared to the olden days despite having much more scarier diseases now.

@benjob hypothetically what conditions would give you that high a sucrose and or fructose dosage? I would want a more tangible example if you may.
  • ^Fructose isn't dangerous health wise, it's in fruit ffs . Actually, i'm now more inclined tablesugar ain't too. I don't think one is less likely to get, for example diabetes, from white rice as with sugar. You could screw yourself eating either way.

However, on the muscle Building side of things, some believe fructose is much easily turned into fat than glucose (those found in "healthy" sh!t like rice and potatoes). So.. take your pick.
  • so......what are good post work out foods? @[email protected] suggest po kayo please:D
    for post workout food, I normally have steak and eggs or chicken..