Home PEx Hobbies Books and Literature

Where to start in Philippine Literature?

What books should I start with in Philippine (Filipino) Literature? I am fluent in Filipino and I want to start reading the best books in Filipino, I just don't know where to start.

Comments

• don_pedro wrote: »
    What books should I start with in Philippine (Filipino) Literature? I am fluent in Filipino and I want to start reading the best books in Filipino, I just don't know where to start.

well, you can start with Ibong Adarna or Florante at Laura:)
  • silverwhizsilverwhiz 10th PEx Oscar Pool Winner
    kramporter wrote: »

This.

You may also begin with short story compilations of prized authors like Matute, Arceo, Pascual, Sicat, to name a few.
  • or, if you are constrained by time; you can check out our local comics scene. it's also literature. :)

we have the Trese series, Elmer, Zsazsa Zaturnnah, etc. :)
  • Check out the bookstores?
    You'd be surprised. ;)

Or better yet, check out the Ateneo or UP publishing houses.

Might be fun for you if you try revisiting your high school literature. Arent's stories/books supposed to be read more than once?

It's a different perspective everytime.
  • nikkilovenikkilove PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    kramporter wrote: »

Its a good thing we have those mandatory readings in Filipino, Ibong Adarna, Florante and Laura, Noli me Tangere, and El Fili.

I like Noli though as the best.

There was also the GEMS Phil Literature Reading in English for FIrst year. BUt I guess that was it. Bi-ag ni Lam Ang, is another that I remember.
  • Madami na ring lumabas na mga bagong akda sa Filipino. Mahirap lang hanapin kung minsan. Pero kasama na rin yun sa challenge. ;)
    Pwede ka magsimula kina Jun Cruz Reyes, Rolando Tolentino, at Luna Sicat-Cleto. Hanapin mo din sina Edgar C. Samar, Eros Atalia, German Gervacio, at T.S. Sungkit Jr.
  • boran_zohn wrote: »
    Madami na ring lumabas na mga bagong akda sa Filipino. Mahirap lang hanapin kung minsan. Pero kasama na rin yun sa challenge. ;)
    Pwede ka magsimula kina Jun Cruz Reyes, Rolando Tolentino, at Luna Sicat-Cleto. Hanapin mo din sina Edgar C. Samar, Eros Atalia, German Gervacio, at T.S. Sungkit Jr.

Thumbs up! For Phil lit specifically in English, better start with "classics" like Nick Joaquin, Butch Dalisay, etc.
  • nozmailnozmail PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    f. sionil jose, nick joaquin, cirilo bautista and virgilio almario among many others.

i also like smaller and smaller circles by f h batacan. *okay*
  • mannersmannersmannersmanners PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    don_pedro wrote: »

I suggest that you must start with short stories like Biag ni Lam-ang, Alamat ng Mt. Makiling and many more.
  • pantone #000pantone #000 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    For relevant issues in daily Pinoy life, Jessica Hagedorn's (works).
  • ^^ Short story na pala ang Biag ni Lam-ang? Hehe.

'Wag kalimutan si Tony Perez. Kung nahihirapang maghanap sa mga bookstore, may visitor's pass sa mga university library (kung hindi ka estudyante). Sa Filipiniana section ng UP Main Lib, andun sila lahat.
  • Subukan mo ring dumaan sa UP Press!
  • Begin somewhere between colonial and postcolonial literature. Rizal is a good place to start, of course, then Sionil and Virgilio Amarillio. Then again Rizal showed more virtuosity in writing Spanish while others wrote not in Tagalog but in English, so it's difficult to conglomerate a definitive literature.

Jessica Hagedorn is good but a little flippant.

Other contemporary novelists I know are Miguel Syjuco, Dean Francis Alfar, Ian Casocot, and Gina Apostol.

Syjuco writes in frank english and has a literary cast of mind.

Ah, once in a while we get writers who are products of western-style education like Dean Francis Alfar and Ian Casocot. I don't like the prevailing sensibility in their books, very Palanca-Award style of writing. Ray Bradbury-ish to a certain extent, sterile syntax that's clearly journalism, especially Alfar; whereas Casocot likes to inundate his readers with verbs, lots of it, "mere movie scripts without the saving grace of images as Cortazar puts it."

I find Gina Apostol's novel rather pretentious in the way she framed her story against the Marcos regime. (Her recent piece of criticism published at LARB came under fire, and it's embarrassing). But she's at least worth taking seriously. There's a sense that her style is drawn from much translated fiction, which I actually like.

On a very positive note, I should say literature is very much alive in Bob Ong's work. If you're looking for tagalog fiction that's closer to the ground, and in a truly contemporary mode, it's him.
  • 3 books I planned for 2013.

And still pending :rotfl:

Dream Eden- Linda Ty-Casper
    Mass for the Death of an Enemy- Renato Madrid
    Salamaca- Dean Alfar

===================================
    So many recent good ones it's hard to choose.

Start with the classics like Sionil Jose or NVM Gonzales or Nick Joaquin.

ESPECIALLY NICK JOAQUIN. Nick is more a prose stylist than Sionil Jose.

Sionil Jose is more polemic and political.

NVM Gonzales is pure storytelling, although too "literary" sometimes.

For poetry check out Jose Villa Garcia.

My last one was back in 2011 pa called Naermyth by Karen Francisco, a YA book sort of like the Hunger Games. Overall I enjoyed it.