Home PEx Business and Careers Banking and Finance

Financial Journal..?

I've been meaning to start a financial journal this year, pero I was thinking twice whether to post it online or make it private. I opted for online na lang para atleast may interaction. mas masaya na, mas madami pa kong suggestions/reactions/advice na makukuha. hehehe :)

OK here goes;
I'm 28 years old. working in a private school as a teacher. earning 5,500 a month ( I know it's small compensation but better than none :)) ) I've applied for public school this coming school year, hinihintay ko na lang ang result if I'm in or out.

1. my monthly budget is:
2000 - savings/emergency fund
1400 - my share in the house
650 - internet
300 - dog food
150 - monthly phone credits
200 - church contributions
800 - pocket allowance

2. matatapos na ang contract ko sa march. I was thinking of getting an instructor job para hindi ako mabakante and of course, I need money. I'm not sure if I'll get a public school post, or when it will start. so habang wala pang tawag, I have to think of ways to earn money.

3. nagtitipid na din ako, to prepare myself of being unemployed (kahit tumawag pa ang work around May, I will still be out of job for a couple of months). I was thinking of going back to working in a call center, but I have to enroll to Graduate School sa summer so that thought was dropped. hehe
para makapagtipid, I started:

- taking food, drinks, snacks to work
- using up whatever I got at home instead of being tamad and just buying stuff even if I know I still have some (school supplies, clothes, shoes, etc)
- instead of buying books, I download ebooks online. also started downloading my own apps instead of getting them installed. minamaximize ko na ang internet usage ko (tutal it's unlimited naman)
- I let coworkers borrow my internet at work (may mga laptop sila but no internet) then in return, they pay me whatever amount for what they use (sabi nila it's the same kung magrerent din sila sa internet cafes. hindi pa sila mamamasahe. hehehe)
- sending clothes off to a laundry shop. this is actually a heaven sent for me. one thing I hate doing is the laundry. also, with work and college and whatever else going on in my life, I dont have much time to do it. I found a laundry shop na 20pesos lang per kilo. free delivery and pickup din. so natipid ako sa power(washing machine and ironing. maayos sila magfold ng damit kaya hindi na ko nagpaplantsa), water, laundry soap, and transportation.
- asking my brother to pick me up from the trike terminal instead of paying a trike to drive me to my mum's house
- freezing leftovers instead of throwing it away

so far yan ang mga ginagawa ko sa life.
I wanted to up my income para pandagdag sa savings/pocket allowance ko. it's pretty tight at the moment but I'm doing the best I can :)
so, I need to know po if you guys know any other means for me to have a part-time/freelance job na kaya kong i-fit sa schedule ko. pano po ba yung mga online jobs? hindi ko alam kung papano nagwowork un eh. I know surveys, but do those stuff work? any ideas of good online jobs I can have?

thanks guys :) welcome po any advice, suggestions, positive criticism and reactions ;)

Comments

• KuyaDannyKuyaDanny Moderator PEx Moderator
    The money you earn is yours to spend as you wish, obviously. So no one here has any business telling you what to do with it. But since you asked for advice, suggestions, criticism, etc, here's my comment:

The only expense item I find unreasonable in your list is the dog food. Will it be easy to find a new home for your pet? Maybe this is a luxury you can defer for some other more fortunate stage in your life.
  • sorry po but I'm not asking for people to tell me where to spend my money. as you said it's no one's business where I spend it. I'm asking for ways on how I can ADD to my income so that I got a bit more extra for whatever else I need, and also for when my contract ended.
    regarding my dog, sorry po ulit but I don't consider her a "luxury pet". she's a family member po and I love and treat her like one. of course it would be easier to just chuck her away to some other home, but I cant just give my family away to strangers. that's not how it works for me.

anyways, thanks for the criticism/suggestion :)
  • kimerrankimerran PEx Rookie ⭐
    @BlueDiamond_0440 : congrats! iilan lang ang kilala ko na kahit maliit ang sahod ay motivated na mag-save. at take note, malaki ang % na sini-save mo na part ng income mo.

basta be consistent lang sa ginagawa mo at iwasan ang debts as much as possible at magugulat ka na lang sa resulta nito. :)

pero tama ka na kailangan mo mag-hanap ng additional income kasi sa ngayon mukhang ok pa sya sayo eh what if nagka-family ka na?
  • Get into stock market, but buy only blue chips stocks for safety purposes.
  • KuyaDannyKuyaDanny Moderator PEx Moderator
    I'm asking for ways on how I can ADD to my income so that I got a bit more extra for whatever else I need, and also for when my contract ended.

Have you considered tutoring? I haven't seen any mention of this in your posts. Many teachers I know do this on the side, and continue even after they have left the profession.

The nice thing about this is that the fees are "negotiable", you have room to adjust them depending on how much time you have or how "difficult" the child is.
  • Election 2013 is coming maybe you can benefit from it.
  • freelancer_babefreelancer_babe PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    do freelance work - online or offline.

earn from blogging.

well, yan ang ginagawa ko full time, in particular the online freelance work. but both can be done part time.
  • Apply for a consultancy jobs.
  • wow! thanks po for all the advice :) another proof that more heads are better than one hehehe ;)

honestly na - motivate po akong mag - ipon when my husband and I separated. I guess I became too comfortable with the financial stability that I didn't bother to save nor secure my future. ngayong ako na lang mag - isa, I'm determined to start on my own. sariling sikap hehe :)

I made it a goal na 2,000/month ang savings/emergency fund because I knew from the start I'll end my contract sa March. so on March, I'll have 20,000 to fall back on ;)

may mga questions lang po ako;
    1. pano po ba ang stock market? and what are blue chips stocks? meron po bang thread dito about dun?
    2. what freelance work po ba ang pwedeng gawin offline?
    3. any good websites for freelance work/blogging? I'm particularly interested in these stuff kasi pwede ko syang gawin during breaks and vacant periods ko sa school
    4. ano po yung consultancy jobs?

sorry po maraming tanong hehe. but I will look into these ideas thanks :)
    I'm actually a bit scared to venture to unfamiliar waters so if you could help me with these I would really appreciate it :)

regarding tutoring, I'm looking into this actually. I'm thinking of posting a sign outside my gate na nag - aaccept ako ng tutors. I'm just thinking January na ngayon, meron pa kayang magpapatutor? but then again won't hurt to try naman siguro ;)
    another option is applying in a tutorial center for the summer months.

I'm also thinking of posting a sign na nag - aaccept ako ng typing job, CD burning, scanning, printing, lamination. I'm thinking of maximizing the use of my laptop and printer :)
    actually naisip ko lang to this morning when someone at work needed to go to an internet shop para magpaprint ng devices nya. sabi ko sa sarili ko I could probably earn money from that :)
    today I was able to earn 120pesos from selling polvoron to friends; 30pesos from someone who
    borrowed my broadband; 50pesos from mp3 downloads. so all in all I had 200pesos today :))
    but then again, parang offset lang yon sa nagastos ko last Sunday. we dropped my dad off to the airport, and to treat my mum, my brother and his wife, I bought a box of donuts for 270pesos. I know it's a bit much, but they loved it and it made my mum happy which I think is priceless :)

pocket allowance: 53pesos (not including the 200) buti na lang sweldo na bukas. hahaha :D
  • BlueDiamond_0440, here's a list of stock market website to get you started.

Finance Manila
    http://financemanila.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=8

Stock Market Pilipinas
    http://www.stockmarketpilipinas.com/

AB Capital Securities You can open an account for only PhP50K.

https://www.abcapitalsecurities.com.ph/

2TradeAsia
    http://www.2tradeasia.com/stocktrade/DefaultHandler
  • TS sobrang bilib ako sa iyo :)
    2. what freelance work po ba ang pwedeng gawin offline?

Tutorials, as already mentioned.

Maybe part teaching job in a university/college - beyond 6PM? If you have masteral or doctorate degree.

If you're in IT, programming/web design jobs outsourced by local companies (if there are).

3. any good websites for freelance work/blogging? I'm particularly interested in these stuff kasi pwede ko syang gawin during breaks and vacant periods ko sa school

Start with the blogger platform to create your own blog: blogger.com

Choose a topic/niche for your blog.

Learn how to promote your blog - read about SEO and social network marketing/promotion.

Note: a very good chosen niche will seriously give you very nice income from your blog.
  • go for those part-time jobs na alam mong gawin, like tutorials or a night-class teacher. pwde ka rin magturo ng english sa mga korean/chinese. stocks is an investment, sa rule ng investment, invest your extra money, so hindi ka muna para dito. blogging is for social media enthusiasts, tipong palagi kang nag facebook, twitter, tumbler, etc. kung hindi naman, blogging is not right for you.
  • Apply for a consultancy jobs.

consultancy in what grounds? hindi ko magets..
    noob_asero wrote: »
    blogging is for social media enthusiasts, tipong palagi kang nag facebook, twitter, tumbler, etc. kung hindi naman, blogging is not right for you.

actually those who are seriously earning well from blog use social media to promote their blogs. pwedeng hindi sila mahilig mag-facebook, twitter, tumblr, etc. these set of bloggers won't really waste so much time on social networks - actually yung ibang bloggers na huge earners they hire people to do all the social media promotions for their blog.

it's not actually the other way around - na dapat mahilig ka sa social media to be able to blog.
  • You should not go into investments until you have saved at least 6 months worth of living expenses tucked away in a savings account or other "safe" accounts. One year of living expenses, however, is better. Investments require timing so that you do not want to cash in when it is the wrong time to. Savings is the foundation of all investments and any endeavor. Savings is number one in the process to financial independence.

I would like to add something that is not in the world's mindset of financial planning. I was a financial planner and stockbroker in my past life and know that this information is away from what we think is logical. Yet this is a secret weapon powerful enough to open opportunities that you are not even aware of yet. I was presented with this when I was spending MORE than my current expenses and being introduced to this was a shock.

That truth is titihing. It is giving 10% of all your gross income to God. I would pray which church you will do this to as there are a plethora of churches masquerading as God's church... the first horseman of the apocalypse or spiritual deception. The promise is that if you do this, God will open up the windows of heaven that you will not have room enough to receive it meaning... you will have more than enough by living on 90% instead of 100%. Yes i know, it doesn't seem to make sense bu here is my story:

I decided to pay my tithes by borrowing from my credit cards. ha-ha So in order for me to get out of my past financial bind, I have to live on less and also add to my debts! I was looking for a miracle! There was nothing in my financial training that says this will work. But the Good Book says God is asking us to prove it to ourselves. To make the leap in faith!

I have to bring down my expenses and also had to quit my job because of another truth: Sabbath; but this is another story. Anyway, I sold my primary home and moved to my vacation home to save expenses. This was 2004. I was in the USA and the housing bubble gave me a nice cushion for my trading business which I still do today full-time. The housing bubble started to collapse around 2006. Of course, I was saved from it! I was able to pay off debts and launched a trading business which was my passion. In following God in faith, I wiped out debts, saved myself from the housing collapse, got capital for my business and provided a lifestyle away from the drudgery of a job. I would call it a miracle. A miracle that is available to all if they so desire.

You look disciplined enough to get your goals in many ways. I will add prayers for God's will (not our own will) and live a life of faith, hope and love. The promises that God gives is not without a price. It is very hard to do in this age of vanity, greed and lust. But the promises are real. It doesn't compute with the wisdom of this world but a miracle that makes 1 plus 1 equals 4 is there for the taking.

Wish you the best in whatever way you find to reach your goals. I believe in miracles. I believe in magic! Because God says it is so.
  • thanks po for all the compliments and help :):):)

I'll check out po the websites you mentioned after I finished this post ;)
    it was payday nung 15th (yehey!) kaya I segregated my paycheck according to where it's supposed to go and went straight to the market to buy provisions for my fridge. I got meat, vegetables, eggs, tofu that would last me until the weekend. all in all I spent P300 kasama na dito bfast, packed lunch and dinner so not bad :)
    what I usually do is I cook dishes na maraming vegetables para mukhang marami kahit konti lang meat. still got lots of rice from my mum's house. may nagregalo sakanya ng isang kabang bigas nung xmas binigyan nya ko.
    my dad's parcel arrived yesterday, so I got me some more stuff :)
    OK na ko for one month sa shampoo, shower gel, lotion, fabric softener, nutella, olive oil, bin bags, lady shaver, toothpaste, toothbrush. he also sent me 2 pairs of decent shoes that I could use for church and 2 pairs of sneakers for work, college etc. ;)
    today binigyan ako ng coworker ko ng biscuits, so I saved it up for my merienda before I went to college this evening. usually kasi bumibili pa ko sa grocery before I go from work to college. I was thinking of buying a tin of crackers/biscuits for my baon. mas lalabas bang mas mura yun kesa sa individually packed?
    I go to college every tuesdays and thursdays from 4pm to 8pm and fridays from 3pm to 6pm. I'll check if there are any part-time vacancies sa college tomorrow :)
  • @knightrader

yes you're right, I'm not planning to go into investments as I also think it won't be a good idea if all I have in the bank is enough to keep me going while I dont have a job yet. at the moment, all my money is in my BDO account that I opened eversince I moved back here in the Philippines.
    I'm guessing you mentioned tithing in your post to acknowledge my budget for my church donation (my apologies if I'm wrong). actually, my church doesn't require 10% of my gross income to be given to them. that amount that I set aside every month for church is the amount that I think I can afford for my share of the expenses.
    I NEVER pay my tithes/donations using my credit cards. I never even use debit cards or cheques. Even when I was living abroad, I made it a point that whatever I earn, I will set aside a portion of it for my congregation box. if money is tight or I don't have enough, I try to contribute in other ways (helping my churchmates clean the church and grounds, helping out whenever there are visitors, etc.) I believe that money is not the only donation I can contribute to the church :)
    thank you for the compliment though :) I appreciate the fact that you shared your story to me and gave me advice that will be useful for me to continue my financial journal ;)
  • actually those who are seriously earning well from blog use social media to promote their blogs. pwedeng hindi sila mahilig mag-facebook, twitter, tumblr, etc. these set of bloggers won't really waste so much time on social networks - actually yung ibang bloggers na huge earners they hire people to do all the social media promotions for their blog.

it's not actually the other way around - na dapat mahilig ka sa social media to be able to blog.

Yes, that's correct.

Consider also taking care of our eyes.
  • it's nice that you really budget your money. patuloy lang mgsumikap and always thank God. Everything happens for a reason. Always pray. Read ka din ng mga inspiring books that will help you uplift your spirit :) If you want, I can send you ng e-books q :)