PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at [email protected] Thank you!

Isidro Del Prado: Legacy of the Quarter Mile

pinoyathleticspinoyathletics ATFS Statistician ✭✭
This is an article i wrote on Isidro Del Prado Sr. Its interesting to note the Philippine Record still remains Unbroken at 45.57s after 28 years. Before Del Prado the Philippine Record was 48.41 before Del Prado lowered it significantly in the early 80s. Bring Pride and Glory to the country and establishing a legacy in the 400 meters.

http://pinoyathletics.com/2013/01/10/isidro-del-prado/

Comments

• Cool_EnzCool_Enz The Sports Guy PExer
    Nice article. Reminds us of the good old days where Filipino tracksters actually contend for medals not only in the SEA Games but also in the Asian Games. And these mostly Gintong Alay products are the last bunch of RP tracksters to actually advance beyond the first round of their respective events in the Olympics.

By the way, is Del Prado's record the longest standing at present? I remember that Nino Ramirez's RP record in long jump stood for 68 years before it was broken by Henry Dagmil in 2004. :socool:
  • pinoyathleticspinoyathletics ATFS Statistician ✭✭
    Cool_Enz wrote: »
    Nice article. Reminds us of the good old days where Filipino tracksters actually contend for medals not only in the SEA Games but also in the Asian Games. And these mostly Gintong Alay products are the last bunch of RP tracksters to actually advance beyond the first round of their respective events in the Olympics.

By the way, is Del Prado's record the longest standing at present? I remember that Nino Ramirez's RP record in long jump stood for 68 years before it was broken by Henry Dagmil in 2004. :socool:

The 45.57 is the only performance that is good enough to still make an olympic B Standard (45.70), besides Torres 6.71m in the Long Jump.
  • baklah_akobaklah_ako Account Suspended by Admin PExer
    Sila ang patunay na palaos na nang palaos ang Philippine Sports from the good old days.
    hahahahaha, salamat kay Tito Peping Cojuangco ang company
    baklah_ako wrote: »
    Sila ang patunay na palaos na nang palaos ang Philippine Sports from the good old days.
    hahahahaha, salamat kay Tito Peping Cojuangco ang company

http://pinoyathletics.com/2013/01/13/list-of-sea-games-qualifiers-as-of-31-dec-2012/

list of qualifiers for the sea games 2013 in track and field.
  • baklah_akobaklah_ako Account Suspended by Admin PExer
    Thailand will be sending more or less 100 athletes in the Athletics events of the SEA Games, targeting 12-18 gold medals.. Vietnam and indonesia will be sending 60-90, and will be targeting 7-10 gold medals.

Ang Pilipinas, masaya na ako na umabot ng 6 ang golds this time.

Pakonti na ng pakonti ang nagku-qualify sa mga sporting events, from SEA games to Olympics, paliit pa ng paliit ang chance namanalo dahil everyone is improving. A thing of the past na lang talaga ang sports sa Pilipinas.
    baklah_ako wrote: »
    Thailand will be sending more or less 100 athletes in the Athletics events of the SEA Games, targeting 12-18 gold medals.. Vietnam and indonesia will be sending 60-90, and will be targeting 7-10 gold medals.

Ang Pilipinas, masaya na ako na umabot ng 6 ang golds this time.

Pakonti na ng pakonti ang nagku-qualify sa mga sporting events, from SEA games to Olympics, paliit pa ng paliit ang chance namanalo dahil everyone is improving. A thing of the past na lang talaga ang sports sa Pilipinas.

Correct Baklah my guess is 5-7 gold medals for the Philippines. We also have Fil-Heritage athletes you or nobody else has ever heard of which will dramatically change the composition of the National Team and training pool after the PNG.
  • Jay P. MercadoJay P. Mercado Moderator PEx Moderator
    Correct Baklah my guess is 5-7 gold medals for the Philippines. We also have Fil-Heritage athletes you or nobody else has ever heard of which will dramatically change the composition of the National Team and training pool after the PNG.

Interesting development. This is not the first time we've done this though, but from how it sounds, there will be more Fil-Foreign athletes that will represent us.

I remember Edward Lasquette who's a Fil-For. I'm not sure if Emerson Obiena has already broken his long-standing record of 5.00m in the pole vault. Then, there's decathlete David Bunevacz who won a silver medal in the SEAG.
    Interesting development. This is not the first time we've done this though, but from how it sounds, there will be more Fil-Foreign athletes that will represent us.

I remember Edward Lasquette who's a Fil-For. I'm not sure if Emerson Obiena has already broken his long-standing record of 5.00m in the pole vault. Then, there's decathlete David Bunevacz who won a silver medal in the SEAG.

Jay are you engr. Paolo Mercado the husband of De Vega?

This is the all time ranking list for Pole Vault

1 5.03 Caleb Monticalvo 280789 1 Los Angeles CCAA T&F Champs 03.05.12
    2 5.00 Edward Lasquette 311271 Q Barcelona, Spain Olympic Games 05.08.92
    3 4.95 Emerson Obiena 41164 1 Manila National Open 01.05.99
    4 4.91 Julio Alorro 170790 1 Ewing, New Jersey NCAA Div 3 17.05.12
    5 4.64 Jerome Margallo 80 Manila Fil-Chinese Meet 2009
    6 4.60 Djundi Binas 170881 5 Palayan City National Games 23.06.06
    7 4.55 Dario de Rosas 80963 2 Singapore 17.08.86
    8 4.55 Edward Obiena 200166 Manila 1994
    9 4.50 Jose Isaias Utzurrun Manila 30.11.91
    10 4.50 Ernest John Obiena 17.11.95 1 Pasig UAAP 04.12.12

Numbers 1, 2, 4, and 9 are Fil-Heritage athletes
    *Fil-Heritage means all athletes who grew up overseas of Filipino Origin. Fil-am is not used now as there are Filipinos communities in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, England and several other countries some including myself who have never set foot in America.

Caleb Monticalvo has already surpassed the record of Lasquette, but he did not have a filipino passport. He is in the process of sorting this out and him and Alorro who have dual citizenship will be participating at the PNG in May. Monticalvo was ranked 2nd in SEA last year and Alorro 3rd so they are goers for silver and bronze. Kreetha of Thailand has already leapt 5.22m this year. Monticalvo will start his season this month in NCAA Div 2 States and Alorro has already leapt 4.55, 4.50 and 4.55.

you can read about them here and here

http://pinoyathletics.com/2012/10/07/gold-at-sea-games-pole-vault-possible-as-5-03m-fil-heritage-vaulter-emerges/

http://pinoyathletics.com/2012/08/16/fil-heritage-pole-vaulter-alorro-keeps-countries-medal-chances-alive-for-2013-sea-games/
    No, I'm not PA. Just like a lot here, I'm just a spectator, a sports fan who has followed the sport since the 70's. Yes, dating back to the days when Consuelo Lacusong was the discus throw queen and Erlinda Lavandia was the javelin throw star of Southeast Asia.
  • GunnarGunnar Member ✭✭✭
    Hindi ba na grant yun gold ni Bunevacz? I think the Thai winner was stripped because he used banned substance? Di ko lang sigurado
    Mukhang tama ka, Gunnar...I remember Bunevacz's rival having been stripped of the gold, although I'm not sure if this was given to Bunevacz after...
  • Cool_EnzCool_Enz The Sports Guy PExer
    If I remember correctly, the Thai athlete who beat David Bunevacz at the 1995 Chiang Mai SEAG was also a half-foreigner. :socool:
    He wasnt thai, he was competing for Malaysia and he was an athlete of mixed malaysian heritage.
  • oca1oca1 Member PExer
    http://www.philstar.com/sports/2016/...-lydia-and-del

Tragedy of Lydia and Del
    SPORTING CHANCE By Joaquin M. Henson (The Philippine Star) | Updated February 21, 2016

Keon says Benson and he believed that Del Prado’s best event was ultimately, the 800, not the 400. “Del was an injury-prone athlete coupled with the fact that his coach from the Philippine Constabulary was always interfering,” he notes. “Del never really ran the 800 competitively after the 1981 SEA Games which was a great pity. The former Olympic and world record holder Sebastian Coe of Great Britain who set a world record for 800 of 1 minute, 41.73 seconds in 1980 only had a best time for 400 of 46.87 seconds compared to Del’s time of 45.61.

“If Del had continued running the 800, he would also have gone beyond the Asian level to the world level. Del had strong endurance and enjoyed going for 10 to 15k runs around Baguio City and coupled with speed, he had a sub 21 second 200, it isn’t hard to imagine that from 1981, when he ran his personal best of 1:48:78 in winning the SEA Games 800 to 1986 or a span of 5 years, he could’ve lowered his time by some 4 to 5 seconds, giving him a time in the 1:43 to 1:44 range. You can see that Del possessed the potential to be an Olympic medalist, even a gold medalist. The Olympic winning times were in 1980, 1:45:40; 1984, 1:43; 1988, 1:43:45 and 1992, 1:43:66.
  • oca1oca1 Member PExer
    That time, during GA, may programa, may nakikialam, kahit papaano may naipapanalo. Ngayon, walang programa, may nakikialam pa rin, may nananalo pa ba?
    edited July 8
    Updated it a bit

We now have Trenten Beram going 46.01 in the 400m, the #2 all time after Del Prado and still at 22 years of age.

https://pinoyathletics.info/isidro-del-prado-legacy-the-quarter-mile/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file