pagbabangko | Fraud and Safety Issues; Online Usage & Card Security Code

Comments

• bangkeroboy21bangkeroboy21 Member PEx Rookie ⭐
    migrating eh? hmm, don't know about that, but that's a game changer no doubt, pero bro keep in mind, international bank yang ulupong na yan.
  • LasdilLasdil Busy as Hell PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    share ko lang, nangyari na rin kasi yan sa mom ko dati,
    and it came to a point na narealize niya, it's really her fault losing the card. kaya binayaran nalang niya.
    in what way mo nawala yung card. dapat kasi alerto tayo sa mga kagamitan natin.
    just imagine na malutong na cash yung nawala mo(let's say the same amount as the thief charged in your card), parang ganun na din yun.

kaya there is no reason na sisihin mo yung bank. merchant siguro pwede pang sisihin. peace! *peace*
  • bankerIIbankerII Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    migrating eh? hmm, don't know about that, but that's a game changer no doubt, pero bro keep in mind, international bank yang ulupong na yan.

"wala kaming pakialam na taga Citibank New York sa problem
    ninyo dyang taga Citibank Makati!"

:D
  • bangkeroboy21bangkeroboy21 Member PEx Rookie ⭐
    HAHAHA, palibhasa, kung yung mga local banks dito, minsan wala ring pakialaman sa kabilang branch eh.
  • BingoWingoBingoWingo Architect and RN PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐

to the one who commented this, wala nga kinalaman ang citibank america sa utang mo sa citibank pinas, or citibank australia. Different entities yun eh. Citibank america does not have ties with citibank philippines...

I just came back to the country so I'll be following up my status tomorrow.
  • LolitaLolita Member PExer
    Bingowingo, may I know the status of your case with Citibank?

Same thing happened to me in 2009. 3 of my credit cards were stolen (Citi, HSBC, Bankard) and umabout to almost P200k ang fraud transactions within 3 hours lang.

Until now Citibank is still demanding that I pay for the transactions. Nagmamatigas ako na di ko talaga babayaran. I reply to their demand letters religiously and even to their collection agencies. Nakakapagod nga lang and nakaka-stress.

Hope you can inform me of your next step and if Citibank will be charging back the fraud txns. Thanks.
    This is with regards to a credit card which was swiped thru this merchant.

My moms card was stolen a few months ago and I found out that they use the card thru this merchant. This merchant does not check id, so they are only concerned of the sale. I was able to talk to the owners of this establishment and they are washing off everything with regards to the charging, that they did not check the id, and that they allowed my moms card to be used there, and it was their fault that they didnt check the id and the one using it was a guy. They even had the nerve to tell me good thing that your card was stolen and not reported asap. The owner, Mr Alvarez made a mockery of me so I am warning to people here not to shop at that merchant.

Their shop is located at Cash and Carry Makati. Beware of this merchant!
  • glenchuyglenchuy metrosexual shopaholic PExer
    ^^ shouldn't you have reported the lost card incident ASAP (stolen months ago is a seriously long time)? your bank would have either a.) declined the transaction or b.) refunded the transaction

the merchant really should have checked the ID, but there are a lot of establishments which don't. (supermarkets, restaurants, retail). i'm not saying that there's no fault in the merchant, but it feels like you're washing your hands off from the situation as well.
  • KuyaDannyKuyaDanny Moderator PEx Moderator
    I went there once. Their prices were not the cheapest in the mall.
  • I actually agree with glenchuy. It's actually protocol for a user to report the loss ASAP to the concerned bank to avoid any unauthorized transactions. Although we can argue that the establishment could be held liable for "permitting" such transaction (i.e. not asking for a valid ID), but at the end of the day it is also the consumer's responsibility to safeguard his credit line(s) at all times. I did this when my card got lost only to realize after that I left it in the machine where I paid my bill. ;)

On the other hand, it was quite rude and unprofessional of the store owner to make such remarks. What was your response to his statement though?
    glenchuy wrote: »
    ^^ shouldn't you have reported the lost card incident ASAP (stolen months ago is a seriously long time)? your bank would have either a.) declined the transaction or b.) refunded the transaction

the merchant really should have checked the ID, but there are a lot of establishments which don't. (supermarkets, restaurants, retail). i'm not saying that there's no fault in the merchant, but it feels like you're washing your hands off from the situation as well.

this was reported since day 1 but I only found out the establishment location just recently. I have done everything in my power to trace this merchant since day 1, only just now was I able to find this merchant.
    glenchuy wrote: »

Actually its the other way around. Citibank is washing their hands off this merchant, and they told me because it was not their terminal that was swiped, that they cant do anything about it. They did not even send someone to investigate this matter, as I talked to the dispute officer. Kaya tuloy ang raming fraudulent uses tayo sa Pinas eh. They dont want to decline the transaction, after repeatedly reported it on day 1 as well.
    I actually agree with glenchuy. It's actually protocol for a user to report the loss ASAP to the concerned bank to avoid any unauthorized transactions. Although we can argue that the establishment could be held liable for "permitting" such transaction (i.e. not asking for a valid ID), but at the end of the day it is also the consumer's responsibility to safeguard his credit line(s) at all times. I did this when my card got lost only to realize after that I left it in the machine where I paid my bill. ;)

On the other hand, it was quite rude and unprofessional of the store owner to make such remarks. What was your response to his statement though?

I told him that I would post his unscrupulous statement here at pex and report it to my card company. My card company(Citibank) is washing its hands off this merchant, claiming that it was not their terminal that it was swiped, so they cant do anything about it.
    Lolita wrote: »
    Bingowingo, may I know the status of your case with Citibank?

Same thing happened to me in 2009. 3 of my credit cards were stolen (Citi, HSBC, Bankard) and umabout to almost P200k ang fraud transactions within 3 hours lang.

Until now Citibank is still demanding that I pay for the transactions. Nagmamatigas ako na di ko talaga babayaran. I reply to their demand letters religiously and even to their collection agencies. Nakakapagod nga lang and nakaka-stress.

Hope you can inform me of your next step and if Citibank will be charging back the fraud txns. Thanks.

Lolita,

sent you a private pm. sorry ngayon ko lang nabasa msg mo. Inaayos pa restructuring now.
  • BingoWingo wrote: »
    I told him that I would post his unscrupulous statement here at pex and report it to my card company. My card company(Citibank) is washing its hands off this merchant, claiming that it was not their terminal that it was swiped, so they cant do anything about it.

im somewhat concerned about citibank's response....that it was not their terminal that was swiped? dapat pala sa mismong bank terminal ng cc ang pag-swipe? eh di andami kayang shelves siguro sa cashier counter para ilagay lahat ng cc terminals per bank?:confused: so useless lang pala mag report ng stolen card, kasi pag hindi sa terminal ng bank na-swipe they cannot detect the card flagged as stolen?
    im somewhat concerned about citibank's response....that it was not their terminal that was swiped? dapat pala sa mismong bank terminal ng cc ang pag-swipe? eh di andami kayang shelves siguro sa cashier counter para ilagay lahat ng cc terminals per bank?:confused: so useless lang pala mag report ng stolen card, kasi pag hindi sa terminal ng bank na-swipe they cannot detect the card flagged as stolen?

ganon na nga. ang pwede lang raw nilang gawin is to issue a memo at the other bank whose terminal was swiped. So useless magreport ng lost card. Kaya credit card fraud is a big business in the Philippines. The bank washes off its problems, forwards the charges to the cardholder, the cardholder does not pay, so its a circle of life. Sabihin ba naman sa akin ng citibank na wala sila magawa at d nila terminal un.
  • glenchuyglenchuy metrosexual shopaholic PExer
    BingoWingo wrote: »
    Actually its the other way around. Citibank is washing their hands off this merchant, and they told me because it was not their terminal that was swiped, that they cant do anything about it. They did not even send someone to investigate this matter, as I talked to the dispute officer. Kaya tuloy ang raming fraudulent uses tayo sa Pinas eh. They dont want to decline the transaction, after repeatedly reported it on day 1 as well.

^^ :eek: ?? you reported that it was lost, and they didn't deactivate the card? if they will confirm that you did call them to report that your card was lost, pwede mong ilaban yan.
  • ZXTZXT Blogger PExer
    Oo nga, if you reported it on the day it was lost then yung transaction was after that then they should have deactivated the card already. If not then fault ng Citibank.
    Updating to my case as of December 2010.

True to the word of Kuya Danny, Citibank is notorious with regards to fraudulent usages. They are asking me to pay right now at least 50% of the charges made on my card, I told them I do not have the money, and offered me a 1 yr payment on my card. The thing that irked me the most is that they do not correspond to me, I have to bring this matter every single week to their dispute unit, to which I get an answering machine(your call has been forwarded to ****, and no calls from them)...seems they are ignoring me. Actually to get it over with, I told them I would pay some amount but not 50 percent so that I would end this nightmare, and have this card reconstituted. Its the principle of the thing, but true to peoples opinion from here... the bank always win. I rarely use my card with them now, and yet I am a good client with them paying in full every single due date, and yet they do not want to talk with me. I am planning to close this account if they do not agree on the amount I want to pay(I know some people would say this is stupid on my part, but I want to end this chapter in my life now). They are very arrogant that they want you to talk with them, not the other way around.

Actually they gave their final feedback. I also gave them my final feedback that I would only pay this much, even though it pains me to pay the amount, lesson learned the hard way.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file