pagbabangko | Fraud and Safety Issues; Online Usage & Card Security Code

Comments

• Ice BurnIce Burn Conflicting Karma PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    All my credit cards have the words "SEE ID" on them. But certain people in the Philippines are still too stupid to ask for ID that I even have to remind them to check the ID instead.
  • butchoiybutchoiy Member PExer
    thank you KuyaDanny i appreciate your advise. but i guess, the lady should have asked for another right?

again, thank you.
  • KuyaDannyKuyaDanny Moderator PEx Moderator
    Yes, she should have - if she wanted to make the sale. Maybe she asked you to see the manager because she thought the manager could approve your bro's school ID. I don't know.
  • kathy bluekathy blue Member PExer
    Everyone read this who has a credit card.This is no joke scam!

A reminder. 'Tis the season when scammers are busy. Take
    care. http://www.viennadomain.com

================================
    We all receive emails all the time regarding one scam
    or another; but
    last week I REALLY DID get scammed! Both VISA and
    MasterCard told me that
    this scam is currently being worked throughout the
    Midwest, with some
    > >variance as to the product or amount, and if you are
    called, just hang up.
    > >
    > > My husband was called on Wednesday from "VISA" and I
    was called in
    > >Thursday from "MasterCard". It worked like this: Person
    calling says,
    > >"This is Carl Patterson (any name) and I'm calling from
    the Security and
    > >Fraud department at VISA. My Badge number is 12460. Your
    card has been
    > >flagged for an unusual purchase pattern, and I'm calling
    to verify. This
    > >would be on your VISA card issued by 5/3 bank. Did you
    purchase an
    > >Anti-Telemarketing Device for $497.99 from a marketing
    company based in
    > >Arizona?"
    > >
    > > When you say "No". The caller continues with, "Then we
    will be issuing a
    > >credit to your account. This is a company we have been
    watching and the
    > >charges range from $297 to $497, just under the $500
    purchase pattern that
    > >flags most cards. Before your next statement, the credit
    will be sent to
    > >(gives you your address), is that correct?"
    > >
    > > You say, "Yes". The caller continues..."I will be
    starting a fraud
    > >investigation. If you have any questions, you should call
    the 800 number
    > >listed on your card 1-800-VISA and ask for Security. you
    will need to refer
    > >to this Control #". Then gives you a 6 digit number. "Do
    you need me to
    > >read it again?" Caller then says he "needs to verify you
    are in possession
    > >of your card. Turn the card over. There are 7 numbers;
    first 4 are
    > >1234(whatever) the next 3 are the security numbers that
    verify you are in
    > >possession of the card. These are the numbers you use to
    make internet
    > >purchases to prove you have the card.
    > > Read me the 3 numbers." Then he says "That is correct.
    I just needed to
    > >verify that the card has not been lost or stolen, and that
    you still have
    > >your card. Do you have any other questions? Don't hesitate
    to call back if
    > >you do."
    > >
    > > You actually say very little, and they never ask for or
    tell you the
    > >card number. But after we were called on Wednesday, we
    called back within
    > >20 minutes to ask a question. Are we glad we did! The REAL
    VISA security
    > >dept. told us it was a scam and in the last 15 minutes a
    new purchase of
    > >$497.99 WAS put on our card.
    > >
    > > Long story made short...we made a real fraud report and
    closed the VISA
    > >card and they are reissuing as a new number. What the scam
    wants is the 3
    > >digit number! and that once the charge goes through, they
    keep charging
    > >every few days. By the time you get your statement, you
    think the credit is
    > >coming, and then its harder to actually file a fraud
    report.
    > > The real VISA reinforced that they will never ask for
    anything on the
    > >card (they already know).
    > >
    > > What makes this more remarkable is that on Thursday, I
    got a call from
    > >"Jason Richardson of MasterCard" with a word for word
    repeat of the VISA
    > >Scam. This time I didn't let him finish. I hung up.
    > >
    > > We filed a police report (as instructed by VISA), and
    they said they are
    > >taking several of these reports daily and to tell friends,
    relatives and
    > >coworkers.
  • mark_markmark_mark MAXICARE APPLYT 09178046275 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    this is so scary....
  • joyejoye Member PExer
    I had been using cards for quite sometime now. And unfortunately, I'm more aware of the protection US card users have from their issuing card companies.

So, how are the card using Filipinos safe from fraud here in the Philippines? Whats our protection when it comes to unauthorized transactions?

a. Lost/Stolen card
    b. Phone/Internet fraud

Thanks.
  • odiefieldodiefield Member PExer
    read thru citibanks policy, mukhang protection is only on transactions made AFTER a card is reported lost/stolen, which to me seems stupid. Na block na nga yung card e di syempre wala ng papasok na transactions dun.
  • tidus1203tidus1203 star of the abes! PExer
    precisely. Kasi kung before anyone can easily commit fraud.... Thats why you need to treat credit cards like cash don't flaunt it around.
  • joyejoye Member PExer
    Right, thats what I've read on their Terms of Service, most if not all card companies. Not a real good protection, if you ask me. Will our card companies work with us to correct all unauthorized transactions in your accounts?

ID theft is prevalent, in no time, ung mga criminal minds dito sa Pilipinas e hahabol na rin.

Hindi lang nakaw na cards ang problema, pano ung mga counterfeits? Internet fraud? Lalo na, may PayPal na dito sa Pilipinas.
  • rationalrational Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Hello all. My first post in this forum.

The recent arrest of a guy who was cloning credit cards has me worried. If you credit card gets cloned, who is liable for the fraudulent charges? Do you still need to pay for them?
  • beingvanebeingvane Member PExer
    this issue made me change my mind yo avail of a credit card . . .

hehehe :D
  • metropolitanmetropolitan the truth hurts, does it? PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    rational wrote: »
    Hello all. My first post in this forum.

The recent arrest of a guy who was cloning credit cards has me worried. If you credit card gets cloned, who is liable for the fraudulent charges? Do you still need to pay for them?

it depends on your credit card company's policies on fraud. check with your card company first.
  • rationalrational Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Hmmm... So, it's not uniform? Have not been to the US in a while but I seem to recall that there was a maximum of $50 liability for fraudulent use. Walang ganyan sa atin?
  • BingoWingoBingoWingo Architect and RN PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Hello I have a dilemna now.

My supplementary card was stolen last night by someone and my mom didnt notice the loss until this afternoon. (Mercury Citi Card). We use all the purchases sa Mercury lang, nareport ko sya this am. Problem nagamit ng magnanakaw. Paano ko madidispute ito kung sakali?
    You could contest the questionable charges but there is no guarantee the card company won't go after you. Sometimes the victims are lucky because the thieves do stupid things in haste, such as using bad signatures. However, there are transactions which go through without needing signatures at all.

Could be a long process involving investigations and similar actions. Find out what the procedure is and start it right away.
    KuyaDanny wrote: »
    You could contest the questionable charges but there is no guarantee the card company won't go after you. Sometimes the victims are lucky because the thieves do stupid things in haste, such as using bad signatures. However, there are transactions which go through without needing signatures at all.

Could be a long process involving investigations and similar actions. Find out what the procedure is and start it right away.

thank you Kuya Danny for the response.

Actually I got a hold of 2 merchants na chinarge nya un card ko last night and this afternoon. I went to the store and got the merchant copy---it was a different signature. I even reprimanded one merchant, why they accepted the card when in fact the one claiming was a guy, babae un nakalagay sa credit card. Pumayag raw sila kasi di raw 3,000 ang transaction..sheesh! Ang sabi ko eh kung may pumasok palang katulong dyan at napulot ang card, papayagan nila icharge..

Right now I am disputing the charges and am doing the necessary documents. Ang bilis nya magcharge, buti naagapan yun isang charge na 9,000+ that he was planning to charge this afternoon.
  • jay372011jay372011 Member PExer
    Actually the next phase is the more difficult one, who pays the bills rite? It's really a no win situation for the you, because of all the hassel of proving your rites etc.

With my boss case which is similar to yours , it was gross negligence of the merchants really because they did not ask for identification even though the thief was buying a really expensive stuff like cameras and expensive shirts ( on 2 stores), and that the thief was in a hurry. They ignored the signs just to make the sale, you know, the thief might be pissed off. But its weird that my boss had to pay for those transactions not in full, but she did .

In my dealings with card nowadays with the purchase of P3,000 in a computer store, they asked for identification, and the supervisor even called my card company.
    ang question eh, what if I opt not to pay. ang alam ko mabloblock name ko sa seamap, un centralized nila na bank.

I already have disputed the charges and have forwarded documents to them that I have already talked to the merchants. Wala ba tayo consumer law that protects us consumers from fraudulent transactions? So assuming si Inday pala ninakaw un card ni kuya at d nalaman ni kuya, liable si kuya magbayad?

Ibang iba ang signature, I saw the bank slip already from 2 merchants, and they did not bother to check na who was the one signing for it. Napansin nila babae ang nakapangalan sa cardholder, pero lalaki ang nagsign. do I have a case?
    You might have a case, but as I said before, it could be a long process. If you opt not to pay, you should consider your credit card unusable until all of these matters are settled.
  • bankerIIbankerII Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Fill up a Dispute Form available with Card companies.
    The CC will then "charge-back" to the merchant any disputed transaction under their Merchants Agreement.

HTH
    ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file