Home PEx Campus College of Saint Benilde

Questions about BSIT-GDD . . .

I'm a fourth year HS student and I'm considering to study BSIT-GDD in CSB. I already have a good idea what I will study in GDD. What I want to know is if it will get me a decent job after I graduate. When I say "decent", I actually mean a job that earns 20k and above. Also how many game companies are there in PH. Could I also get a decent job that's not related to game development? For example, web development? I already see myself in the game industry. I love staring in front of a computer typing meaning less codes for hours. I don't see programming as hard work, I see it as fun, even if I have to write hundreds of lines of codes. I just want to make sure that I have a decent future when I graduate. :)

PS: I'm sorry if this post is unrelated to DLS-College of Saint Benilde. I just wanted to hear answers from students and alumni of CSB.

Comments

• j5bataj5bata PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    ace_atty wrote: »
    I'm a fourth year HS student and I'm considering to study BSIT-GDD in CSB. I already have a good idea what I will study in GDD. What I want to know is if it will get me a decent job after I graduate. When I say "decent", I actually mean a job that earns 20k and above. Also how many game companies are there in PH. Could I also get a decent job that's not related to game development? For example, web development? I already see myself in the game industry. I love staring in front of a computer typing meaning less codes for hours. I don't see programming as hard work, I see it as fun, even if I have to write hundreds of lines of codes. I just want to make sure that I have a decent future when I graduate. :)

PS: I'm sorry if this post is unrelated to DLS-College of Saint Benilde. I just wanted to hear answers from students and alumni of CSB.

Some of your questions may have been answered by GamerProf in another thread but let's see I could give you some of my insights:

1. If you have the skills and the passion towards your work, you will definitely get a job. 20k might be a little too much for someone starting out in your particular industry but the kind of salary you get should be according to the qualifications you manage to meet in a certain job position you are after.

Although I finished with a degree in MMA, my first job was in the public sector so my salary was not that great but not that either. When I managed to transfer to something that was more of my specialty, I was finally doing something that I love. Downside is the salary's a bit lower than my first but it's because I'm still on probation and I have to prove that I'm worthy of the job I was hired for if they were to keep me long-term. Bottom-line, we shouldn't expect to get high-paying careers right after graduation since we have to work for it first. And that applies to all professions.

2. You probably may be able to find jobs that aren't related strictly to game development since it is after an an IT-course. You can apply for a job in Google-affiliated companies here like Wide Out or offer IT support in many other companies in the country. Even in the public sector, there's a large demand for IT professionals which is definitely good thing so there's nothing for you to worry about.

3. CSB always hosts these job fairs and career orientation programs inside the campus so that it wouldn't be difficult for students to head out for the ones outdoors. The school would not let us be on our own withour some guidance in establishing our careers and footholds in our respective industry.

GamerProf, who is a professor under SMIT, would help clear things up for your better than me. Hopefully some of my points helped you in a way. :D
  • Hi Ace_Atty. I answered your PM. :)