Home PEx Business and Careers The Working Filipino

Resignation as salary increase leverage

Effective bang tool ang pagreresign para pampataas ng sweldo? Uhh, alam ko pangit pakinggan. Pero kasi may history ang company ko na kung kailan aalis yung empleyado eh tinatapatan ng job offer. Sinubukan ko nang makipag usap tungkol sa increase sa sweldo pero mukhang wala eh... Masyadong mataas yung hinihingi sa akin to merit an increase eh considering that madami na rin akong contributions sa company. In short, even at this point eh di worth yung sweldo, at gusto pa akong pigain to deserve a higher pay, which is unacceptable.

Dapat ko bang i-risk mag-mock resign? If so, ano ang dapat kong sabihin, na di na ako masaya at hindi worth yung nakukuha ko for the job I do?

Comments

• mint_teamint_tea PEx Rookie ⭐
    kung asset ka ng company bibigyan ka ng increase to win you back. Otherwise, sa mock mo matutuluyan ang resignation mo.
  • I see. So since mock siya, ano dapat ko sabihin para i-win back nila ako, dahil di ko naman pwede sabihin na may job offer ako kahit wala...
  • igzyigzy PEx Rookie ⭐
    galaxy wrote: »
    I see. So since mock siya, ano dapat ko sabihin para i-win back nila ako, dahil di ko naman pwede sabihin na may job offer ako kahit wala...

There is no need to say anything for them to win you back. Kung ganyan ang case, then, hindi ka pa talaga asset. Kasi di pa nila nakikita as an asset eh.
  • mint_teamint_tea PEx Rookie ⭐
    I see. So since mock siya, ano dapat ko sabihin para i-win back nila ako, dahil di ko naman pwede sabihin na may job offer ako kahit wala...

Tingin ko di mo na kontrolado to, the only thing you can control here is how you perform as well as your attitude at work. Pero kung idadaan mo lang sa sweettalk or threat of resigning, mag-iiba tingin sayo ng tao at may posibilidad na di mo makukuha yung gusto mong increase.

Kung sa tingin mo di ka binabayaran ng tama based sa efforts mo o di napapansin ang mga efforts mo. Find another company and then resign.
  • Apply ka muna sa company na sa tingin mo ok, then pag natanggap ka na , magresign ka.Malaki ang chance tataas sahod mo , either sa new company na maghihire sayo or sa present company mo kung gusto ka talaga nila. But then again , opinion ko lang ito. :naughty:
  • It's easy to say "resign ka na lang, tapos lipat ka sa ibang company for higher pay" but in truth, it's really hard to find a place where you can transfer and have a good chance of being contented there.

If you think your company is a very good place to work in and the only problem you are having is your pay, I'd suggest that you forgo the mock resignation plan and just to talk to your manager/manager's manager about it. Of course on the other hand, you better be really worth that increase.

Explain why you feel the need for a raise, and why you don't want to resign just to get a better pay. A bit of sincerity on your part goes a long way. Be honest, be civil, and be polite about your request and you'll get a professional response.

Companies that know how to take care of their people tend to have special channels for these sorts of requests. Smaller companies tend to accommodate these easier but even larger ones, as I later learned, are able to do so as well. Hindi sya suntok sa buwan.

I'm saying this from experience. I once told our OIC that I really loved the company and the work that I did but couldn't afford to keep my salary in the current level due to the number of competitive packages being offered elsewhere. I told her I was already working senior level tasks and felt that I should somehow be compensated for it. The OIC made a deal with me, raising my salary for an X amount if I stick around as long as I can. She kept her end of the deal and I did for many years more.

That way, I got to boost my salary to competitive without having a resume that looks like I job-hopped just to pump up my pricetag.

So there. Good luck.
  • Sun_SetSun_Set PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Be very careful in submitting resignation letter. Be ready to leave the company upon sending resignation letter. For all you know the company will welcome your resignation instead of offering a higher salary to keep you.

What can you do to increase your salary? Use the right route, performance. After performing and you still did not get the increase you want, then that's the time to decide if you will stay or not.

It is not true that the grass on the other side of the fence is always green. You may try applying around just to try the waters. With this, you can determine if you have a market outside and if you can demand for a higher salary.

Try to demand for your ideal salary and see if other company is willing to give in to your demand.
  • Sometimes companies honor the decision of the employee even if he is still an asset. Your mock resignation will probably become a real one.

I remember an uber performing colleague who had numerous achievements and commendations, a true asset indeed, submitted her golden letter (with no prior hint of leaving)

But only received the words "Okay, we can't do anything about that. It's your decision"

No counter offer. No other discussion. The manager immediately signed the paper.
  • lumang tactic na ito. kung gusto mo mataasan ng sweldo, lumipat ka ng company.
  • Newbie_101Newbie_101 🐯 Tiger Squad🥈
    What you need to do is have a back up plan, what if they don't call your bluff? I mean if your contributions are significant enough then you won't even have to tell them twice to increase your pay, to them you're disposable.
    It's easy to say "resign ka na lang, tapos lipat ka sa ibang company for higher pay" but in truth, it's really hard to find a place where you can transfer and have a good chance of being contented there.

If you think your company is a very good place to work in and the only problem you are having is your pay, I'd suggest that you forgo the mock resignation plan and just to talk to your manager/manager's manager about it. Of course on the other hand, you better be really worth that increase.

Explain why you feel the need for a raise, and why you don't want to resign just to get a better pay. A bit of sincerity on your part goes a long way. Be honest, be civil, and be polite about your request and you'll get a professional response.

Companies that know how to take care of their people tend to have special channels for these sorts of requests. Smaller companies tend to accommodate these easier but even larger ones, as I later learned, are able to do so as well. Hindi sya suntok sa buwan.

I'm saying this from experience. I once told our OIC that I really loved the company and the work that I did but couldn't afford to keep my salary in the current level due to the number of competitive packages being offered elsewhere. I told her I was already working senior level tasks and felt that I should somehow be compensated for it. The OIC made a deal with me, raising my salary for an X amount if I stick around as long as I can. She kept her end of the deal and I did for many years more.

That way, I got to boost my salary to competitive without having a resume that looks like I job-hopped just to pump up my pricetag.

So there. Good luck.

Best post in this thread
  • igzy wrote: »
    There is no need to say anything for them to win you back. Kung ganyan ang case, then, hindi ka pa talaga asset. Kasi di pa nila nakikita as an asset eh.

Ahh okay, naisip ko lang naman, since ang track record nila eh offers when employees plan on leaving.
  • z853889 wrote: »
    Apply ka muna sa company na sa tingin mo ok, then pag natanggap ka na , magresign ka.Malaki ang chance tataas sahod mo , either sa new company na maghihire sayo or sa present company mo kung gusto ka talaga nila. But then again , opinion ko lang ito. :naughty:

Naisip ko nga 'to, kaso walang tumatawag ngayon at kailangan ko na talaga ng umento. Hindi ko na alam :bop:
  • It's easy to say "resign ka na lang, tapos lipat ka sa ibang company for higher pay" but in truth, it's really hard to find a place where you can transfer and have a good chance of being contented there.

So there. Good luck.
    Wow, thanks! Pero paano yun, mabilis bang naproseso yung raise mo? Ikaw rin ba nagdictate ng gusto mong salary?
    Wow, thanks! Pero paano yun, mabilis bang naproseso yung raise mo? Ikaw rin ba nagdictate ng gusto mong salary?

If you take a look at kaning brown's example, he was a performer and at the same time he knows how much other companies pay for his skill set, try and do the same
  • ^I will, I guess pag this time na sinabi ko eh wala talaga, lipat na lang. Parang gusto ko na lang din magdemand tapos kung wala, alis na lang.
  • I really don't like this way of getting an increase.

Ito tanong ko sayo TS
    - Tingin mo ba ikaw lang ang performer ng team nyo?
    - Ano ang impact mo sa team, organization as a whole?
    - Regular ba ang promotion sa work niyo hindi lang sayo kundi sa mga kateam mo?
    - Ilang percent ang bingay mo na effort sa work mo?
    - Sweldo lang ba ang motivation mo to work?

In my own experience, madami kami performers sa team :) pero isa ako sa may malaking impact not only to the team but to the organization. Sa current company ko, bigayan *** promotion, pag prinomote ka ngayon, pagbigyan mo naman *** iba :) patience is always a virtue. Hindi ba ganun sa inyo? Binigay ko din yung best ko. Nagresign ako for personal reasons (family). The company didn't try to counter me kasi yung reasons ko personal and wala talaga ako balak magpacounter in the first place.

pag nagwowork ako, I make sure that I give my best para maging asset ng company, mararamdaman mo naman na mahalaga ka eh, yung sweldo susunod na yun :) Diba dapat ganun TS?

Sweldo lang ba ang dahilan bat gusto mo umalis?
  • - Sweldo lang ba ang motivation mo to work?

inde ba dapat? why work kung d kanaman well compensated?
    tama po ba ako? kaya tayo nag wowork dahil sa comepnsation. sorry pero na pplastican lang ako sa mga nagsasabi na "pera/sweldo lang ba ang motivation/dahilan mo para mag work?" kaya nyo ginagalingan ang trabho nyo para umangat ang position/level nyo sa company kaakibat nun pag angat ng sweldo/compnesation.
  • Hmmm ganito po kasi yan. I was asked back then by our manager to rate our motivation/priorities for working among the following.
    - Career Growth
    - Training
    - Compensation and Benefits
    - Work Life Balance.
    - Family (I added this option)

Now, personally, pinili ko ang family bilang una..career growth as the next, 3rd *** trainings, 4th *** salary tpos 5th *** work-life Balance.

Plastic na kung plastic ang tingin mo, pero at my age, least priority ko ang pera as I am gathering skills for the future :) Long term kasi ako mag-isip.

Susunod naman yang monetary value pag nakita ka nilang deserving talaga :)

kaya nga sabi sa 3 Idiots, Pursue Excellence and Success will follow