Home PEx News and Tech Local and Foreign Issues
Speak your mind, but mind what you post. Let's not spread disinformation and/or misinformation.

ITS the ECONOMY, Student! An essay by Gloria Macapagal Arroyo

MANILA, Philippines -- Former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo on Thursday said the administration of her successor and former student, President Benigno Aquino III, has been marked by an “increasing vacuum of leadership, vision, energy and execution" in managing the country’s affairs.

"The momentum inherited by President Aquino from my administration is slowing down, and despite his initial brief honeymoon period, he has simply not replaced my legacy with new ideas and actions of his own," Arroyo said in a paper entitled, “It’s the Economy, Student!” presented at the Manila Hotel.

Source

Click here for the full essay

This is not a A.B. Noy bashing thread.

I invite my fellow pexers to read the essay and comment whether or not her views are correct.

Comments

• I also hated GMA towards the end of her term, as i only got info from the mainstream Philippine media. But taking a step back and getting of the hate bandwagon, I realized what GMA has done for the Philippine economy.

Now if only more people would get off the hate bandwagon and realize what the yellow king is up to.
  • joeyd wrote: »
    I also hated GMA towards the end of her term, as i only got info from the mainstream Philippine media. But taking a step back and getting of the hate bandwagon, I realized what GMA has done for the Philippine economy.

Now if only more people would get off the hate bandwagon and realize what the yellow king is up to.

We also have to get off the hate PNoy band wagon. I can be faulted for hating this President for what he did with the Judiciary.

However, for me economic news is different. It must be placed in the proper context.

I am still reading the essay. I agree with some of her point and disagree with the others.

Pero natawa ako sa banat nya sa slogan ni PNoy: Kung walang corrupt, walang mahirap. Eh madaming mahirap sa Pinas pa din so corrupt si PNoy. :lol:

Tama nga naman. Corruption is a part of the problem of poverty but eliminating corruption does not mean we will no longer have poverty.

Anyways, I will be checking my old notes with regards to her claim about the BPO industry para lang ma-fact check.
  • Re: Rice self-sufficiency

Mababa nga yield ng rice production natin per hectare.

So far ito palang nakita kong source na maayos. Yung iba sa wikipedia na kasi medyo ingat ako dun.

www.fao.org/docrep/003/x6905e/x6905e04.htm

I went to the IRRI website mababa nga talaga rice yield natin.

http://ricestat.irri.org:8080/wrs/

Punta kayo dyan. Use the chart program para malaman nyo kung anong yield natin vis a vis other countries.
  • ^ mababa ang rice yield natin because of certain factors such as smaller land area planted to rice (na nababawasan pa due to land conversion to non-agricultural purposes); and inefficient farming, harvesting and post-harvesting techniques. incomparable ang Pilipinas when it comes to well-known rice-planting and -exporting countries like Vietnam and Thailand. the Philippines, since time immemorial, has been more of a rice importer than of an exporter, although the amount of rice being imported from the likes of Thailand and Vietnam has grown through the years.
  • ^ mababa ang rice yield natin because of certain factors such as smaller land area planted to rice (na nababawasan pa due to land conversion to non-agricultural purposes); and inefficient farming, harvesting and post-harvesting techniques. incomparable ang Pilipinas when it comes to well-known rice-planting and -exporting countries like Vietnam and Thailand. the Philippines, since time immemorial, has been more of a rice importer than of an exporter, although the amount of rice being imported from the likes of Thailand and Vietnam has grown through the years.

I see.

So given the factors you stated, aree you saying the zero export of rice is practically impossible?
  • b_9904 wrote: »
    I see.

So given the factors you stated, aree you saying the zero export of rice is practically impossible?

yes, suntok sa buwan na matatapos ang pagiging rice importer natin. all of those you hear from those in power are nothing but, yes, words because they themselves know that the Philippines, even during the time of Spanish colonization, has been mostly an importer of rice. the amount of rice being imported by the Philippines can be decreased through measures such as efficient and effective rice farming methods but, still, we have to import rice to sustain the rising demand for it.
  • blue_tracerblue_tracer PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    PH unlikely to achieve rice self-sufficiency by 2013

Posted at 11/28/2012 2:01 PM| Updated as of 11/28/2012 2:03 PM

MANILA, Philippines - The Philippines' goal of rice self-sufficiency by 2013 is impractical and not feasible, according to a study by the Philippine Institute for Development Studies (PIDS).

In a study, PIDS senior research fellow Roehlano Briones said the country is not likely to achieve rice self-sufficiency, whether in 2013 or even through 2020.

President Aquino has boasted that the Philippines will not only become rice self-sufficient by 2013, but also become a net rice exporter. The Aquino administration has crafted the Food Staples Sufficiency Program (FSSP) aimed at rice self-sufficiency or zero imports by 2013.

Briones said the Department of Agriculture's efforts to improve rice production, such as improving irrigation and developing new crop varities, are not enough.

He noted the FSSP targets are based on highly ambitious and unrealistic projections palay yield , from 3.78 tons/ha to 4.53 tons/ha, and production from 17 to 22.7 million tons, over the period 2011 to 2016, corresponding to annual growth rates of 3.8 and 6.3%, respectively.

"These growth projections are clearly unattainable considering that historically, yield and production grew by a meager 1.5 and 3.2 percent, respectively, from 1994 to 2010," he said.

Raising rice production alone would not eliminate importation, Briones added. The only way to achieve rice self-sufficiency is to increase import barriers, but this would make rice more expensive.

"The supply-demand analysis furthermore shows that simply raising productivity growth even higher would still fail to eliminate imports. The only way to make self-sufficiency feasible is to raise barriers to rice imports. However, this makes rice substantially more expensive — an outcome that is inimical to food security," he said.

Briones further said the government should not equate "self-sufficiency" with zero imports.

"For one, policy should target nutritional norms for rice consumption, rather than accommodation of consumer choices... Moreover, self-sufficiency should be qualified by affordability; a country should not be seen as 'self-sufficient' in rice, if its price prevents poor households from achieving nutritional norms in food intake," he said.

Briones added, "Investments for rice (particularly irrigation) should not be dictated by simplistic production/consumption imperatives. Rather, traditional measures of project worth, such as internal rate of return, should be reinstated as part of the budget allocation process. This way the government can avoid cost escalation and restore fiscal sustainability in the self-sufficiency program."

The PIDS senior fellow urged the government to rethink its goal of rice self-sufficiency.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/business/11/28/12/ph-unlikely-become-self-sufficient-rice-2013
  • blue_tracerblue_tracer PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    re: ph to become rice exporter by 2013

that is based on their projection.

pero bakit ka naman magugulat kung ang bagay nga na promised na mismo hindi pa nangyayari (FOI bill) 29 months itinatakbo na ano pa kaya sa isang projection lang?
  • ^ they know the truth. alam naman nila not everyone in this country knows the truth kaya kung sabihin nila na kesyo ang projection nila ay magiging self-sufficient sa production at exporter ng rice ang Pilipinas by 2013, papaniwalaan ng karamihan. still, suntok sa buwan ang gusto nilang mangyari because of the reasons that i already mentioned earlier.
  • imanh0rnimanh0rn PEx Rookie ⭐
    b_9904 wrote: »
    We also have to get off the hate PNoy band wagon. I can be faulted for hating this President for what he did with the Judiciary.

However, for me economic news is different. It must be placed in the proper context.

I am still reading the essay. I agree with some of her point and disagree with the others.

Pero natawa ako sa banat nya sa slogan ni PNoy: Kung walang corrupt, walang mahirap. Eh madaming mahirap sa Pinas pa din so corrupt si PNoy. :lol:

Tama nga naman. Corruption is a part of the problem of poverty but eliminating corruption does not mean we will no longer have poverty.

Anyways, I will be checking my old notes with regards to her claim about the BPO industry para lang ma-fact check.

am hating him cause he lies a lot and to international community at that.

especially yang rice self sufficiency, poverty and job rates
  • yes, suntok sa buwan na matatapos ang pagiging rice importer natin. all of those you hear from those in power are nothing but, yes, words because they themselves know that the Philippines, even during the time of Spanish colonization, has been mostly an importer of rice. the amount of rice being imported by the Philippines can be decreased through measures such as efficient and effective rice farming methods but, still, we have to import rice to sustain the rising demand for it.

I see. So tama din pala and ADB sa sinabi nila.

Its seeems PNoy will be better of promoting an alternative staple then.
  • Rice self-sufficiency costly, ADB warns

Contrary to popular notion, the goal of the Philippines to produce sufficient volume of rice to end its dependency on imports by 2013 is actually imprudent.

This was the opinion of the Asian Development Bank, which cited the high cost of investments required to achieve self-sufficiency in rice and the surpluses of the vital commodity in neighboring countries.

Lourdes Adriano of the ADB’s rural development and regional sustainability department said in a press briefing on Thursday that the Philippines and other Southeast Asian countries would benefit if they would enhance rice-trade cooperation.
  • imanh0rnimanh0rn PEx Rookie ⭐
    However, just because it will be costly to have rice self sufficiency ASAP doesn't mean we can't do it.

Siguro dahan dahan with effective planning. Una dyan ang proper zoning laws so fertile agricultural lands are tilled with ample road system to handle traffic.

Improved water system para mura for agricultural lands

Banning of Monsanto and other GMO companies. they intentionally contaminate fields and farms so that the farmers are forced to buy suicide seeds from them.

Rice Tariff/Matrix price control, NFA is doing a bad job of this one. I don't think they're even researching prices of commodities versus importation price and/or local production price

I guess those points are doable. Kaya lang sa first point pa lang, agricultural zoning laws sablay na nga ang CAR/P a quarter of a century old na ang batas na yan.....
  • markfroilanmarkfroilan 🐯 Tiger Squad🥈
    di bale ng hindi maging self sufficient sa rice, basta di ka amoy ulam - kris
  • imanh0rn wrote: »
    However, just because it will be costly to have rice self sufficiency ASAP doesn't mean we can't do it.

Siguro dahan dahan with effective planning. Una dyan ang proper zoning laws so fertile agricultural lands are tilled with ample road system to handle traffic.

Improved water system para mura for agricultural lands

Banning of Monsanto and other GMO companies. they intentionally contaminate fields and farms so that the farmers are forced to buy suicide seeds from them.

Rice Tariff/Matrix price control, NFA is doing a bad job of this one. I don't think they're even researching prices of commodities versus importation price and/or local production price

I guess those points are doable. Kaya lang sa first point pa lang, agricultural zoning laws sablay na nga ang CAR/P a quarter of a century old na ang batas na yan.....

My issue with "self-sufficiency" in rice is the opportunity costs of doing so.

The money, land, infrastructures, time, energy, effort, and so on. I mean, is this the best way to use whatever limited resources we have?

Sabi ko nga sa parents ko nung naging mainit na issue ang land reform sometime in 2000 to 2003: "We are not an agricultural country because we have limited land to use."

I said that because I know we have less land for agriculture as against other countries with huge tracts of arable land or land masses.

Thailand

Vietnam

Philippines

Of course, sample lang ang mga yan. Hindi pa kasama dyan ang US.

Mayhap, sa yamang dagat pwede pa tayong lumaban kaso inaalagaan ba natin yun? :(

Tsaka, hindi ba tayo nadadamay sa over fishing ng ibang bansa? :(
  • stepehenyan@12[email protected] PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    dapat kasi maipasa national land use act para di basta ma iconvert yung mga agricultural lands for residential purposes. nangyari yan noong pinatupad yung carp noong panahon ni cory. pumalag mga hacindero na nagmamayari ng sakahan kasi babaratin lang sila ng gobyerno pag binili lupa nila. kaya pag nadaan ka sa nlex o yung dating tawag na north diversion road wala na yung mga sakahan puro mga subdivision kasi mas malaki ibabayad ng mga real estate developers.
    I see. So tama din pala and ADB sa sinabi nila.

Its seeems PNoy will be better of promoting an alternative staple then.
    lol, be realistic. alternative to rice? :lol:

honestly, I agree, what's the big deal with being a rice importer? it's not necessarily a bad thing.

low yields however, are an issue.

as for the article - took me 5 minutes to read it, not a good sign, GMA. more about the economy, less about vouching for your administration. :lol:
  • LOOL. Alternative staple. Are you suggesting that Filipinos eat their steak and KFC with potatoes and corn instead of rice? :lol:
  • lol, be realistic. alternative to rice? :lol:

honestly, I agree, what's the big deal with being a rice importer? it's not necessarily a bad thing.

low yields however, are an issue.

as for the article - took me 5 minutes to read it, not a good sign, GMA. more about the economy, less about vouching for your administrator. :lol:

I agree with less GMA and more about economics. :lol:

Though may point pa din siya sa ibang bagay, though admittedly medyo minor points yung iba.

Ang isa sa mga magandang point na nabasa ko is yung part about HOW to develop an industry (forget about yung mga self vouching and mga patsutada kay Noy). Infrastructure + government support (in terms of policy and incentives) = developed industry. Sana she expounded on how she helped, if at all, the BPO industry. It would have been a good read.

Kaso I do not agree with her comment about the bigger the pie the better for the poor.

Re: Alternative staple

Well.. one can hope? :lol:

Sa province namin mas partial ang mga tao sa milled corn. Mas mura daw ata. *shrug*

Re: low yield

Well... mahirap mag palaki ng yield if walang capital ang mga magsasaka mo. This is one of the reasons I want large scale farming sa Pinas.
    I agree with less GMA and more about economics. :lol:

Though may point pa din siya sa ibang bagay, though admittedly medyo minor points yung iba.

Ang isa sa mga magandang point na nabasa ko is yung part about HOW to develop an industry (forget about yung mga self vouching and mga patsutada kay Noy). Infrastructure + government support (in terms of policy and incentives) = developed industry. Sana she expounded on how she helped, if at all, the BPO industry. It would have been a good read.

Kaso I do not agree with her comment about the bigger the pie the better for the poor...
    well, my comment in here is really the same thing as the comments on the other thread - there's really not a lot of thought and research that went into the article. it's not even at any level that I could take seriously.

how industries are developed, the accomplishments of her administration, she may have the right opinion, but it doesn't matter if she doesn't have the facts and the analysis to back it up.

it's like she was given a math homework and she just gave an answer, without writing out the solution. anyway, it's an opinion piece, so doesn't really matter.