can you suggest movies with themes on homosexuality (lesbians/gays/bisexuals)...

i've only really seen quite a few.. can anybody list other films tackling these themes..?

Comments

• solacesolace stargirl PExer
    My top 3 favorite gay/lesbian movies:
    When Night is Falling is beautiful. Suuuuuper ganda.
    If These Walls Could Talk 1 & 2...I highly recommend this one. I've only seen the 2nd one, and nakakaiyak siya sobra. :mecry: I've been trying to get hold of the 1st one for the longest time. Think it captures the troubles of lesbian couples the best. The 2nd one is three short-films on lesbian relationships of three different eras, in three different phases of relationships, all set in the same house (hence the title). Anne Heche directed it. Set in the early 60's: Vanessa Redgrave plays a closeted Lesbian who must deal with the woes of losing her mate and also losing all they owned together. Set in the 70's: An active feminist on campus falls for a woman who wears ties and rides a Harley; the story deals with issues of heterosexual feminists rejecting Lesbian feminists in the woman's movement as well as the diversity of Lesbians. Set in the 90's: Ellen Degeneres plays opposite Sharon Stone in an amusing story about a couple trying to have a baby. The movie touches on so many issues and aspects of Lesbian life--very ambitious for a 90-minute flick. But they pulled it off beautifully.
    In and Out is really funny. Lalo na yun dance sequence ni Kevin Kline. Beauuuuuuutiful!:lol:

Those that I have not seen but I've heard are beautiful:
    Gods and Monsters (gay)
    Before Night Falls (gay)
    Total Eclipse (gay)
    High Art (lesbian)

Check this out: Gay Station. Hope this helps. *okay*
  • balage24balage24 Member PExer
    here are someive seen:
    1.jeffrey - steven webber/michael t. wise ( the pretender) webber is tired of dating until he met wise who's hiv+ .
    2.the wedding banquet - an american and american chinese couple unexpectedly had a little trouble when a chinese girl entered their lives for the sake of a greencard.
    3.where's the party - eric roberts has aids and has to face its bitter reality with lover gregory harrison.
    4.my own private idaho - river phoenix is narcoleptic and a call boy he meets and make a deep friendship with keanu reeves. there's a three way scene here but shot in static stills
    5.the broken hearts club - a funny look at gay friends and their ever evolving discovery about each other and themselves - dean cain is butch here as well as andrew keagan.

try these too but i havent seen them just their review:
    1.edward 2 - about the modern version of christopher marlowe's story of a gay monarch
    2.the journey of jared price
    3.sunday bloody sunday - a bisexual angle including peter finch
    4.the boys in the band
    5.torch song trilogy - with matthew broderick

ive also seen this one stonewall - more of a friendship of a transvestite and a gay hustler who meets a crusader. there's a good shower scene here.
    also midnight in the garden of good and evil - kevin spacey is a rich gay philantrophist who killed jude law - his lover and assistant.
  • A couple of titles, in case you haven't seen them:

Boys Don't Cry (1999) starring Hilary Swank. She won, righteously, the Oscar best-actress award for this.

Midnight Cowboy (1969) starring Dustin Hoffman & John Voight. It's more on male prostitution, but an inspiring movie, nonetheless.

But I'm a Cheerleader (1999) recently screened at brashyoungcinema. A light comedy exploring lesbian tendencies.

Yun lang mga maiisip ko ngayon. Tip: try the power search on IMDb.
  • Hey_haydenHey_hayden Member PExer
    But I'm a cheerleader is my favorite!!!!!!!!!!!!!

also Chasing Amy I have both on DVD
  • popscenesterpopscenester miss modular PExer
    hmmm.. hey thanks! i was thinking of gorging in my own gay/lesbian film fez at home cause im really in between sexualities right now.. heehe

solace: hey any idea where i could find that "if these walls could talk" flick? looks pretty interesting! anyway yeah got to see in and out and it's really funny. as for total eclipse that was pretty amazing homosexuality with class! :)

balage24 : thanks for the list i'm gonna check out those flicks then. that sunday bloody sunday was also highly recommended by someone i know, gotta see that then..

raven23: too bad i missed that screening at the brash young cinema, i had work that night but really wanted to see it. have you been going to alot of their screenings? i havent been to any yet, but they sure have nice flicks there.

now im off to go ransacking wherever i could find your recommendations!
    yeah chasing amy is really cool.. !

hmm well anybody seen Splendour, All Over Me, The Incredible Adventures of Two Girls In Love, love and other catastrophes, totally f***ed up..?
  • Originally posted by popscenester
    hmmm.. hey thanks! i was thinking of gorging in my own gay/lesbian film fez at home cause im really in between
    sexualities right now.. heehe
    So, are you gay? :)
    raven23: too bad i missed that screening at the brash young cinema, i had work that night but really wanted to see it. have you been going to alot of their screenings? i havent been to any yet, but they sure have nice flicks there.
    The irony of it is I work perhaps 3 buildings away up the block. I know one of the guys involved with BYC (Lionel Valdellon -- the guy who does their Web site). I've wanted to watch a lot of their films -- but, I guess 'coz I couldn't find anyone to watch it with -- I haven't seen any one of their screenings. :rolleyes:
  • homeBuddyhomeBuddy Member PExer
    Originally posted by solace
    If These Walls Could Talk 1 & 2...I highly recommend this one. I've only seen the 2nd one, and nakakaiyak siya sobra. :mecry: I've been trying to get hold of the 1st one for the longest time. Think it captures the troubles of lesbian couples the best. The 2nd one is three short-films on lesbian relationships of three different eras, in three different phases of relationships, all set in the same house (hence the title). Anne Heche directed it. Set in the early 60's: Vanessa Redgrave plays a closeted Lesbian who must deal with the woes of losing her mate and also losing all they owned together. Set in the 70's: An active feminist on campus falls for a woman who wears ties and rides a Harley; the story deals with issues of heterosexual feminists rejecting Lesbian feminists in the woman's movement as well as the diversity of Lesbians. Set in the 90's: Ellen Degeneres plays opposite Sharon Stone in an amusing story about a couple trying to have a baby. The movie touches on so many issues and aspects of Lesbian life--very ambitious for a 90-minute flick. But they pulled it off beautifully.

i saw 2 on HBO last year...the second one starred Michelle Williams (of Dawson's Creek) and Chloe Sevigny (of BoyS dONT cRY)... k lang! abll about lesbians...

the first one however, is about ABORTION ata e...basta it's also a woman empowerment movie ata, but i doublt if it had to do with lesbians...
    Originally posted by raven23
    So, are you gay? :)

i swing both ways yeah... i like both boys and girls. its good to keep your options open right? hehehe

about the BYC i'm kinda hesitating if i should go watch there or what since baka Clique-ish yung tao and nakaka out of place ata..
  • serbsserbs Member PExer
    hi popscenester!
    sup? so your having an identitiy crisis eh? well, before i continue i would like to wish you the best of luck in finding your true self. it isn't easy, but it's something you (& everyone for that matter) should do.
    i don't really know much movies with this theme, and it seems that there have been an ample number of suggestions naman na eh.:p
    so, it seems to me that at the moment you feel as if you are bi. it's really an interesting feeling. i had the same feeling once, pero as it turns out i'm not. i'm straight. this topic is really a loaded and heavy one and as much as i would want to say about it, there simply isn't enough time or space right now. but just remember, however it is you find yourself to be - be the best gay or straight or bi you can be. live your life to its fullest and don't make any dumb decisions.
    take care.;)
  • bugsbunnybugsbunny ONE BIG FIGHT! PExer
    Kiss Me Guido is a funny movie although may parts na kinda boring. pero its a good movie.
  • I Like Pretty BoysI Like Pretty Boys Beauty Destroyer PExer
    how about "the incredibly true adventures of two girls in love" and "heavenly creatures" ?

the first one is about two girls who meet, become friends, fall in love, and run away. it looks indie/amateurish but i enjoyed it a lot! the good thing about it is that it makes the transition from friendship to romance seem so natural. not weird at all.

the second one is about two girls who share an intimately close friendship, mentally, emotionally, and eventually physically. they become obsessed with each other. their parents become disturbed by this so they keep them away from each other. the two girls do everything they can to be together....
    Originally posted by popscenester
    solace: hey any idea where i could find that "if these walls could talk" flick? looks pretty interesting!

I was able to rent one from Lasertech. :) DVD. Check it out.
  • shadowboxershadowboxer manic-depressive bunny PExer
    ehehehe, keep `em coming!

:elk:
    Originally posted by I Like Pretty Boys
    how about "the incredibly true adventures of two girls in love" and "heavenly creatures" ?

The Incredibly True Adventures of Two Girls in Love...I don't remember the movie that well, but I think I've seen it. It's a fun movie!
  • melrosegirlmelrosegirl Grey's Addict PExer
    I recently saw a very touching gay movie...can't remember if it was on HBO or cinemax though.

"Love! Valour! Compassion!" ...its a story of 8 gay men spending their summer together in one house... nakakaiyak...

I also liked the storyline involving Justin Kirk aka "Barto" in Jack n Jill.
  • Brash Young Cinema?
  • Others I can think of....
    -Threesome (Stephen Baldwin(?), Josh Charles...and hmm... Lara Flynn Boyle yata)
    -Chasing Amy
    -The Crying Game
    -M. Butterfly
    -Election (may subplot dito involving Chris Klein's character's lesbian sister)
    -To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar
    -Priscilla, Queen of the Desert

Heavenly Creatures is a pretty good movie, breakout role ni Kate winslet.
  • tEaMooNtEaMooN Pjamhead PExer
    :rolleyes: ummmm...some of the most "disturbing" and depressing (as i may say it) yet penetrating films with such themes i've "felt" so far were BOYS DON'T CRY (starred Hillary Swank) and THE PRIEST (starred Linus Roache).. both films were delicately treated with human emotions. you could almost feel an insurmountable love and passion towards somebody (the kind of feelings i dont actually feel sa mga pa-tweetums na mga films)...try nyo lang...you'd surely cry! just be prepared to be touched =)
    yeah i the incredibly true adventures of two girls in love is funny.. i think the same person who made All over me ata yun..

and heavenly creatures is ..GREAT! love it!..

serbs: nice.. thanks for the support! i like what you said.. couldn't agree more! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file