Home PEx Sports Sports Zone

Billiards Greats

batang uliranbatang uliran PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
As I post this, Efren "Bata" Reyes and Francisco "Django" Bustamante - two of the best billiards players in the world, are still alive in the World 9-ball tournament in Wales. They are among 8 surviving players and the consensus is that Reyes, also known as "the Magician" will eventually win it all. This is a very prestigious tournament participated in by over 150 of the best billiards players in the world. This is a clear example of how we can be among the best in the world in the right sport. Let's root for our boys and in 48 hours, we will know if they make it straight to the top. Win or lose, they have done us proud!

Comments

• batang uliranbatang uliran PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Hot off the presses - Bata Reyes and Django Bustamante are facing each other in the semis- they are 2 of 4 remaining players. They got there differently - whereas Django demolished his rival, Efren played poorly and had to rely on some breakes to get there. The winner in the match between the two advances to the finals whcih will be played 2am Monday Manila time. As soon as I find out who wins, I will post it here!
    Efren "Bata" Reyes pulled off what was described as "far and away the most amazing display of run-out 9-ball witnessed during the World Professional Pool Championship" as he rattled off nine straight flawless racks to beat countryman Francisco Bustamante in the semis. He is now going to play in the finals for the top prize of $60,000. I will post here if he wins or loses but let us all hope he does it!

[This message has been edited by batang uliran (edited 07-25-1999).]
    Well it is all over and EFREN "BATA" REYES has taken his place as the best billiards player in the world when he handily beat Taiwanese Mr. Hoa Ping Chang to capture the top prize of $60,000 in the World Pool Championship in Cardiff, Wales. Bata was clearly the class of the field and he handily beat Chang 17-8 in the best of 25 games final. Incidentally, the 60k top prize is the riches in the history of the sport.
    MABUHAY EFREN at MABUHAY ANG PINOY!
    :-) :-) :-)
  • eboyeboy PExer
    Yup! That was a great tournament. Sayang lang 'coz not very many Filipinos saw it. 'COz it was only shown on cable T.V. and it was shown live around 2:30am. But the good news is that, it will be shown on local tv starting next week.

Additional news: The CRV that Bata said he was buying for his wife was already sponsored by Mayor Fred Lim and he was also given an additional .5million pesos by Erap.
  • I read in the papers that the PSC who stated a policy of giving 1M pesos to athletes who garner international gold medals is not giving it to "Bata" because he already won P2M worth in prize money and that he is considered a professional.

The PSC should have a clause stating that they will only give out the money if the gold is not prestigious enough to have big prize money and does not exceed the P1M they are offering.

Congratulations to Efren Reyes! Another Filipino making his country proud.

Peace.
    I heard about the PSC thing also. To make up for that, Erap gave him P1M when he called on him in Malacanang and it was reported also that former Manila Mayor Alfredo Lim shouldered the cost of a Honda CRV which Bata had purchased for his wife. SO there you have it - if you do your country proud, there are many who will shower you with rewards and in this case, justifiably so.
  • Pinoys Are The Best!!!

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. .....
    Some updates on the billiards front:

1. Efren Reyes has been named the 29th best billiards player of the century by Billiards Digest and they said that he is probably the best 9 ball player in the world today and that some may argue that he is the best 9 ball player ever. This came before his recent wins so if the list was tabulated later, he may even have ended up higher!

2. Amang Parica recently won the Western Open 9 ball championship in California beating countryman Django Bustamante in the final. Billiards Digest noted that 3 of the last 4 major pro billiards tournaments have been won by pinoys - Bata Reyes winning 2 of these - the just concluded World Pool Championship in Cardiff Wales and Reno XXIX.
  • django lost yesterday to a dutch :(, i hope today bata will win. Pray for him!!! :)

[This message has been edited by jack (edited 08-22-1999).]
    Jack:

Unfortunately, Bata lost to the same Dutchman - Alex Lely - who defeated Django. That was in the finals and en route, Bata thrashed Johnny Archer 9-1. Sayang. Well, that's still a second place finish in a top tournament - the 9 ball Masters tournament and he took home 4,000 pounds.
  • "you cant win it all" ani nga ni BatA. Still, I can say that he's the hottest pool shark in the world at right now.
  • Batang Uliran:
    Just heard news that former Mayor Fred Lim did NOT shoulder the CRV for "Bata". Puyat, the bowling/billiards company owner who sponsors Efren bought him a CRV as part of the sponsorship.

According to the Honda exec, Mayor Lim even tried to hold the CRV until the gift was credited to him since he publicly announced that Honda should shoulder the cost of the CRV as a goodwill gesture to the country. Of course Honda refused since it was Puyat who should get credit for giving the car. In any case, everyone still thinks it was Fred Lim who gave it. Philippine Politics.

Peace.
  • *casts resurrection spell*

Ronato "The Volcano" Alcano
  • efren reyes
    django bustamante

ronnie alcano-wala ata siyang hinihinging partida ke bata sa rotation. for money game.

*mga me future sa bilyar.
    -jeff de luna
    -lee van corteza
    -gandy valle