Home PEx Sports Sports Zone

NFL 2001 Week 1

Finally, the NFL has come back to Sports Center!*okay* Week 1 of the 2001-2002 Season saw defenses stealing the show as is normal at the start of the season. The defending SuperBowl Champion Baltimore Ravens again barely had any offense despite new starting QB Elvis Grbac, but had enough to beat the Chicago Bears,:bawling: 17-6. The Seattle Seahawks and Cleveland Browns scored no TDs, and the sehawks won the game on a 52-yard Rian Lindell field goal, 9-6. The Jacksonville Jaguars got Mark Brunell and Jimmy Smith to connect on two TDs as they whalloped division rivals the Pittsburgh Steelers, 21-3. Corey Dillon of the Cincinnati Bengals was his usual dominant self, now helped by Jon Kitna and Darnay Scott, as the Bengals won over the New England Patriots 23-17. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers didn't get much offense from new QB Brad Johnson, but they still had enough to slap the Dallas Cowboys around with a 10-6 win.

The post-Jerry Rice era began in San Francisco with a 16-13 OT win by the Niners over the Atlanta Falcons. As for Rice's new team, he was thrust head-on into one of the most heated rivalries in the NFL as Rice's Oakland Raiders escaped the Kansas City Chiefs and new coach D!ck Vermeil, 27-24. The newly revamped San Diego Chargers welcomed QB Doug Flutie and added to the miseries of the Washington Redskins:belat: with a rousing 30-3 shellacking. The defending NFC West champion New Orleans Saints are aching to prove that last year was no fluke, getting off to a good start behind Aaron Broks 209 passing yards in a 24-6 rout of the Buffalo Bills. The Indianapolis Colts tried out a hurry-up offense and this proved too intense for the New York Jets with stellar games from Peyton Manning and Edgerrin James. Colts win, 45-24.

The match-up of the day saw the high-powered St. Louis Rams offense against Donovan McNabb and the Philadelphia Eagles' defense. Like two heavyweight boxers, both teams were tied 17-all at the end of regulation, and Jeff Wilkins scored on a 26-yard field goal for the 20-17 Ram triumph. The upset of the day could be given to the Carolina Panthers. Behind rookie QB Chris Weinke of Florida State, the Panthers entered the Metrodome and ambushed the Minnesota Vikings for a 24-13 win.:whatthe: The Green Bay Packers may have found themselves a new hope with their running game as Ahman Green helped to take a load off QB Brett Favre in the Pack's 28-6 demolition of the Detroit Lions. On ESPN Sunday Night Football, the Miami Dolphins walked into Tennessee's Adelphia Coliseum and walked out as only the second team (other than the Ravens) to beat the Titans on their homefield.

Comments

• :hmm: Ano kaya nangyari kina Ryan Leaf at Akili Smith? If I'm not mistaken, those are the two biggest quarterback draft busts in recent history...

And what's up with Ricky Williams...he was highly touted three years ago when he joined the NFL, but he hasn't produced as expected...
  • week 1 was one hell of a start for another great NFL season!!

i think in this era defense is the key to winning games coz as we all saw almost all games in week one show tremendous defense from all teams the overtime win by the 49ers the comeback win by the Bucs.

i think another thing to watch this season will be the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Oakland Raiders!
  • talo titans sa dolphins.. argh.. haha
  • Originally posted by sullen boy
    :hmm: Ano kaya nangyari kina Ryan Leaf at Akili Smith? If I'm not mistaken, those are the two biggest quarterback draft busts in recent history...

And what's up with Ricky Williams...he was highly touted three years ago when he joined the NFL, but he hasn't produced as expected...

Ryan Leaf is now the 3rd string QB in Dallas behind Quincy Carter and Anthony Wright...yeah, who?? Akili lost the starting job to Jon Kitna in Cincy and Ricky is still starting in New Orleans (doing OK).

I'm surprised the Vikes sucked as much as they did, and that the Dolphins were as good as they were. The Dallas defense was also surprisingly good. Oh, and what happened to Washington and their "Super Bowl" payroll?? Oh well, as they say..."On any given Sunday..."
  • On Monday Night Football, the Denver Broncos christened their brand new Invesco Field at Mile High with a rousing 31-20 win over the defending NFC Champion New York Giants. Terrell Davis and Mike Anderson shared time in the Bronco backfield, but unfortunately, the Broncos lost WR Ed McCaffrey to a season ending knee injury.:bawling:
  • Ryan Leaf is now the 3rd string QB in Dallas behind Quincy Carter and Anthony Wright...yeah, who??

Didn't Ryan Leaf fail his physical for Dallas ?? :mconfused:
  • Originally posted by BaTa_2k1
    Didn't Ryan Leaf fail his physical for Dallas ?? :mconfused:
    Yup, right now he's in limbo. he desrves it after he's acted like such an idiot since the Chargers drafted him.:belat:
  • Quincy Carter who? Anthony Wright who? :lol: Either I'm so out of touch on the NFL these days, or Ryan Leaf is THAT bad. Last time I heard of him, San Diego was starting Moses Moreno (who? ulit) over him. Then Jim Harbaugh returned to his starting QB spot for the Chargers. That was last season...

Just think how bad the Indianapolis Colts would be had they decided to pick Leaf over Peyton Manning in the 1998 draft...
  • Originally posted by sullen boy
    Quincy Carter who? Anthony Wright who? :lol: Either I'm so out of touch on the NFL these days, or Ryan Leaf is THAT bad.
    He IS that bad :rotflmao:. Thanks for correcting me, Rock & BaTa, I didn't read that story. :o
  • I'm sorry to say but even with the new additions "Chicago Bears still S*#k!" :( :( :( :( :( :(
  • nakakainis... ang-ganda ganda na ng comeback ni donovan mcnabb...
    andami sayang... 1st possession, fumbled snap na agad... touchdown tuloy si faulk.... tapos bandang end of 4th qtr, sayang yung fumble.. nag-agawan pa kasi yung tatlo sa bola... ayun nakuha pa tuloy ng rams..... galing lang talaga ni kurt warner at ang receivers nya....

ohwell..... lets take it out on seattle... and dallas... and all the rest...