COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

Rest in peace, Mr. Butch Maniego

_Bahay_Kubo__Bahay_Kubo_ Banned by Admin PExer
my condolences to the family and friends of veteran sports broadcaster Butch Maniego.

rveq20.jpg

rest in peace, Sir Butch.

Comments

• KiyancarmeloKiyancarmelo Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    aw.. sorry to hear that..
  • Ahura MazdaAhura Mazda Member PEx Expert 🎖️
    Nagkataon pa talaga na sa PBA opening. Parang last week lang noong nagsulat siya sa Spin. :(

RIP, Sir Butch.
  • Larry LegendLarry Legend Member PEx Icon 🎖️🎖️🎖️
    RIP Butch Maniego, he's one of the sportscasters I grew up watching. I also read his regular column in People's Journal back in the day.
  • RIP Sir Butch
  • Jay P. MercadoJay P. Mercado Moderator PEx Moderator
    Butch Maniego is also a co-member of PEX, using his monicker Road Warrior. He didn't write as frequently as in the early 2000's but he was a valuable member to the PEX community. I had my share of correspondences with him on PM chatting about our favorite things - sports and music.

You will be missed Butch! Au revoir! Our condolences to his family.
  • letran_jletran_j Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    RIP Sir Butch "The Brain" Maniego.... One of my favorite Filipino sportscaster. Thought and prayers to his family.
  • roundtablepizzaroundtablepizza Member PEx Expert 🎖️
    Condolences to his family. Ano pala cause of death?
  • NoctizsNoctizs ThE StaLkeR PExer
    wow.. big loss, not just for his family but also for the sports media, an icon of consistency when it comes to his articles.. goodbye and best of luck where ever you are. you'll be sorely missed.
  • torchie82torchie82 Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Sad to hear his passing, one of the great sports columnist and basketball enthusiast. RIP
  • count_robbycount_robby Revenge is Mine!!! PExer
    Sad day in Philippine sports... RIP Butch Maniego
  • air_presto2air_presto2 SB ng San Agustin PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    RIP Butch 'Roadwarrior' Maniego... one of the best in the business.
  • letran_jletran_j Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Condolences to his family. Ano pala cause of death?

http://www.rappler.com/sports/13344-sportscaster-butch-maniego-dies
  • renaissance11renaissance11 for the better PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    parang may nabasa lang ako recently na article niya, habang binabasa ko asa isip ko magaling na kaya siya?

RIP
  • pareng Butch!!!!
    we will miss you!
  • drei221drei221 Headbang PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    RIP Road Warrior. A couple of months ago I heard him as
    a guest to King DJ Logan's DisEnchanted Kingdom show.
    I also thought that he's recovered already.
    A nice trivia on Butch...

Did you know that he was the very first grand champion of the MASTERMINDS sports quiz tournament shown on RPN 9 back in the late 80's? MASTERMINDS was part of a sports talk show hosted by Joe Cantada shown around 10PM once a week (I think it was a Monday but my memory's very hazy). In that program (which I forget as well), Cantada guested various sports personalities, particularly in the PBA, to talk about various sports talk. A 15-minute segment in that one-hour show was the quiz competitions that featured the young sportswriters of that era.

Butch won his round in the eliminations and eventually made it to the Grand Finals. I believe there were like 8 grand finalists. 10 questions were fielded, and if I recall it correctly, Butch topped the finals by answering 9 correctly. The succeeding competition saw the late Raffy Japa winning in the grand finals.

The very first time I read Butch's work was when he became part of Champ Magazine back in the 80's. He was still a very young sports scribe at that time, but you know he had a great future in sportswriting simply because his articles were extremely entertaining to read. He had the flair in using seldom-read words in his writings but made it easy to understand. He also wrote like he he was just conversing with you, making his work very reader-friendly.

We also shared the same passion for music. He once PM'd me about how good 105.9 UR (Underground) Radio sounded like or how we share music files via PM. I lent him a couple of Ray-An Fuentes tracks (OPM) while he shared to me the track Minimum Love. The common love for sports and music allowed us to somehow "bond" together. It was made easy along the way after the discovery of having several common friends.
  • MakaveliLivesMakaveliLives Brooklyn PExer
    ^I saw someone on Twitter refer to him as "The Brain". Is that why he's called as such?
    Yes, Butch is known for his phenomenal mind when it comes to a lot of trivia matters. His knowledge is pretty encylopedic and is highly-regarded even by his peers for such.
  • PandaemonaeonPandaemonaeon Moderator PEx Moderator
    Aw akala ko pa naman pagaling na siya :(

Rest in peace, Sir Butch.
  • RIP Sir Butch

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file