Home PEx Sports Sports Zone

Italian Serie A 2001-2002

Serie A kickstarted with heavyweights Juventus and Inter posting remarkable wins over Venezia and Perugia respectively. Zidane & Pippo Inzaghi's departure was huge but Juve acquired goalscoring machine Marcelo Salas and talented Czech midfielder Pavel Nedved from Lazio.

Inter is still waiting for Ronaldo but his replacement, Mohammed Kallon more than made up as a substitute. Christian Vieri is back in his devastating form and Nicola Ventola, while just on-loan from Atalanta is a decent acquisition.

The other heavyweights, defending champion AS Roma, Lazio and AC Milan salvaged boring draws with Verona, Piacenza and Brescia respectively.

Results

Juventus - Venezia 4-0
Inter - Perugia 4-1
Bologna - Atalanta 1-0
Chievo Verono - Fiorentina 2-0
Lazio - Piacenza 1-1
AS Roma - Verona 1-1
AC Milan - Brescia 2-2
Lecce - Parma 1-1
Torino - Udinese 2-2

Comments

• And dont forget Juve's latest acquisition Argentinian attacker Juan Sebastian Veron!

Watch out though, for my favorite team Torino. They are led by veteran striker Marco Ferrante and their newest star, Brazilian sensation Pinga. Also, watch out for wingers Vincenzo Sommese and Alessio Scarchili.
  • drizzt are u sure that Veron's in Juve? last i remeber, he was playing for Man U. not too sure though, coz i havent been following player trades and acquisitions.

anyway, it's nice to see Juve winning. I've practically adapted that team and it was pretty sad to see Zidane leave. Pippo they can do without but Zizou? looks like it's going to be a struggle this season, what with powerhouses Roma and Inter looking in top form. i expect Christian Vieri and Andriy Shevchenko to duke it out for the top goal scorer for this season, though i wouldn't mind if Alex del Piero finally metamorphoses into the Alex of old and stomps his superior class over the Seria A defence.
  • Round 2

Sunday, September 9
    Atalanta vs Juventus
    Chievo vs Bologna
    AC Milan vs Fiorentina
    Parma vs Inter
    Perugia vs Lazio
    Piacenza vs Lecce
    AS Roma vs Udinese
    Torino vs Brescia
    Venezia vs Verona

Juan Veron now plays for Man Utd. He has been disappointing so far, but it's still early. Teddy Sheringham's departure from the Red Devils is major but Veron and Nistlerooy are hoping to fill in that void.
  • Sorry, sorry, I was thinking about my Championship Manager game, hahaha...this is where gaming imitates life.... I must be playing too much....Tama kayo Juan Veron moved to Man U for 23.5M Pounds. Haha...pati si Sommese wala na rin ata sa Torino...Anyways, at least they drew their first game... Central Defender Fabio Galante with a header, and Yksel Osmanovski scored to open the scoring 2-0...kaya lang nahabol ng Udinese...
  • I doubt that Torino will threaten the 6 perennial top teams in Serie A. but it will keeep them in the middle of the table.

I think Ronaldo will play in Inter's game against Parma. I got this from CNN's World Sport.

boy oh boy, is Fiorentina going to the dumps? a loss to the newly promoted team seems unacceptable for the Florence fans.
  • Fiorentina has sucked after Batistuta left them. Now that Rui Costa's gone, they'll suck even further :lol:
  • Round 2 Results

Perugia 0 Lazio 0
    Roma 1 Udinese 1
    Juventus 2 Atalanta 0
    Chievo 2 Bologna 0
    Parma 2 Inter 2
    Lecce 2 Piacenza 1
    Brescia 3 Torino 1
    Verona 1 Venezia 0
    Milan 5 Fiorentina 2

Standings W D L PTS

Juventus 2 0 0 6
    Chievo 2 0 0 6
    Milan 1 1 0 4
    Inter 1 1 0 4
    Brescia 1 1 0 4
    Lecce 1 1 0 4
    Verona 1 1 0 4
    Bologna 1 0 1 3
    Parma 0 2 0 2
    Udinese 0 2 0 2
    Roma 0 2 0 2
    Lazio 0 2 0 2
    Torino 0 1 1 1
    Piacenza 0 1 1 1
    Perugia 0 1 1 1
    Atalanta 0 0 2 0
    Venezia 0 0 2 0
    Fiorentina 0 0 2 0 0

Top Goalscorers

TARE Brescia 4
    DEL PIERO Juventus 3
    SHEVCHENKO Milan 3
    TREZEGUET Juventus 3
    CHIESA Fiorentina 2
    GIACOMAZZI Lecce 2
    KALLON Inter 2
    VIERI Inter 2
    MUZZI Udinese 2
  • del Piero #2 scorer. the man is back
  • Originally posted by drizzt do'urden
    Sorry, sorry, I was thinking about my Championship Manager game, hahaha...this is where gaming imitates life.... I must be playing too much....

off topic
    Finally, someone who plays Championship manager! Akala ko ako lang ang naglalaro nito. And I also have the same problem. CM is just way too realistic.
  • Zidane out of Juve? Salas and Nedved gone from Lazio? Ala na si Rui Costa sa Fiorentina? Grabe...di na ako up to date sa Serie A.

You guys mind doing me a favor and listing down all the major transfer during the offseason? :D
  • Some of the major transfers:

Rui Costa (from Fiorentina to AC Milan)
    Toldo (from Fiorentina to Inter)
    Pirlo (from Inter to AC Milan)
    F Inzaghi (from Juventus to AC Milan)
    Zidane (from Juventus to Real Madrid)
    Van der Sar (from Juventus to Fulham)
    Kovacevic (from Juventus to Lazio)
    Veron (from Lazio to Manchester Utd)
    Nedved (from Lazio to Juventus)
    Salas (from Lazio to Juventus)
    Leonardo (from AC Milan to Sao Paolo)
    Helveg (from AC Milan to Inter)
    Domoraud (from AC Milan to Monaco)
    Thuram (from Parma to Juventus)
    Buffon (from Parma to Juventus)
    Conceicao (from Parma to Inter)
    Cannavaro (from from Parma to Verona)
    Nakata (AS Roma to Parma)
    Poggi (AS Roma to Parma)
  • Moka_java thanks for the updates man!

It'l be interesting to see how these transfers play out....
  • moka, i think u forgot about the THE major signing of the season (2nd only to the zidane deal), Mendieta to Lazio. Lazio is such a force, with Claudio Lopez and Jaap Stam. Freaky lineup.
  • Round 3 Results

Juventus 3 Chievo 2
    Bologna 1 Parma 0
    Brescia 1 Lecce 1
    Fiorentina 3 Atalanta 1
    Inter 2 Venezia 1
    Lazio 0 Torino 0
    Piacenza 2 Roma 0
    Verona 1 Perugia 1
    AC Milan 2 Udinese 1

Standings W D L PTS

Juventus 3 0 0 9
    AC Milan 2 1 0 7
    Inter 2 1 0 7
    Chievo 2 0 1 6
    Bologna 2 0 1 6
    Brescia 1 2 0 5
    Lecce 1 2 0 5
    Verona 1 2 0 5
    Piacenza 1 1 1 4
    Lazio 0 3 0 3
    Fiorentina 1 0 2 3
    Udinese 0 2 1 2
    Parma 0 2 1 2
    Torino 0 2 1 2
    Roma 0 2 1 2
    Perugia 0 2 1 2
    Atalanta 0 0 3 0
    Venezia 0 0 3 0

Top Goalscorers

Tare (Brescia) 4
    Shevchenko (AC Milan) 4
    Chiesa (Fiorentina) 4
    Del Piero (Juventus) 3
    Kallon (Inter) 3
    Marazzina (Chievo) 3
    Muzzi (Udinese) 3
    Trezeguet (Juventus) 3
    R Baggio (Brescia) 2
    Chevanton (Lecce) 2
    Giacomazzi (Lecce) 2
    F Inzaghi (AC Milan) 2
    Vieri (Inter) 2
  • Lazio sacks Zoff
    Sportal

Lazio have sacked coach Dino Zoff after its disastrous start in the Champions League and Serie A.

Officials at the Rome club confirmed his departure and have announced that former AC Milan boss Alberto Zaccheroni would take over.

The writing had been on the wall for Zoff after Lazio slumped to its second consecutive Champions League defeat on Wednesday, beaten 3-1 by Nantes at the Olympic Stadium.

That loss followed a 1-0 away defeat to Galatasaray in its opening match, leaving the Italians propping up Group D.

Zoff had also been under pressure on the home front, with Lazio still searching for its first win of the season after three matches in Serie A.

Zoff, Italy's 1982 World Cup winning skipper and goalkeeper, had been brought back for his second stint as Lazio coach last year following the departure of Sven-Goran Eriksson as England manager.

That had followed a successful spell as coach of the Italian national team where he led the Azzurri to the final of Euro 2000.

Lazio had been hoping to emulate the league title won with Eriksson in the 1999/2000 season last year but instead was forced to watch bitter city rivals AS Roma take the crown.

A mass sell-off of Lazio's top players in the off-season - Juan Sebastian Veron to Manchester United and Pavel Nedved and Marcelo Salas to Juventus - left Lazio struggling to rediscover its winning formula.

The much-touted arrival of Spanish international midfielder Gaizka Mendieta has failed to spark Lazio.

Mendieta was substituted on Wednesday after a lacklustre performance.
    Ronaldo's safe return
    - AAP

It took 22 months, two knee operations and a long rehabilitation, but Brazilian superstar Ronaldo finally returned to competitive soccer in a UEFA Cup match Thursday, showing he's on his way back to his past splendors.

Fielded in Inter's lineup in the last 28 minutes of play of a first-leg first-round match against Brasov, the Brazilian striker was wildly cheered by nearly 7,000 fans as he led some quick actions and went close to scoring twice.

Ronaldo, who had previously played three friendly matches for a total of 144 minutes and five goals, was somewhat cautious in the initial minutes, after replacing fellow-Brazilian Adriano in the 67th minute.

The Brazilian star, a two-time FIFA player of the year, then took momentum, made some classy moves and nearly scored Inter's fourth goal.

His right-footed diagonal shot in the 69th minute was deflected by Brasov goalkeeper Ibrahim Dossey with the tip of his shoe.

Dossey stopped another right shot by Ronaldo in the 84th.

Inter eventually defeated the Romanian team 3-0 on first-half goals by Stephane Dalmat, Mohammed Kallon and Luigi Di Biagio.

"I'm tired out right now," Ronaldo said as he left the field.

"The pace of friendly matches is much different from competitive games. Inter's win was more important than my return. However it's a great thing for me to have returned to action, to have rejoined this team."

Inter's newly-signed Argentine coach Hector Cuper patted Ronaldo on his shoulder and whispered to him "remember that you are a champion" as the player prepared to enter the field as substitute.

Ronaldo agreed that his form was not yet perfect, but suggested he was ready to play a portion of the next Serie A match.

Ronaldo did not play the three first matches of the Italian league but could be sitting on the substitute bench Sunday when Inter plays Torino on the road.

"We all are happy for Ronnie's return. We had long expected this moment, and it has finally come," said Inter captain Javier Zanetti, the Argentine midfielder.

Ronaldo, who will turn 25 on Saturday, had last played a full official match in November 1999.

A torn right knee tendon and surgery sidelined him until April 2000. He hurt the same knee seven minutes into his first game back to action, requiring a second operation.

Cuper said he enjoyed Ronaldo's return and his performance.

About the possible use of Ronaldo in Sunday's league match, Cuper was cautious, as usual.

"We'll see in the next hours ... nothing has been planned at the moment," he said.

Ronaldo's return to official action was expected to offer the Brazilian national team an additional weapon for clinching a World Cup berth for the 2002 finals in South Korea and Japan.

It may also make up for the long absence of Italian striker Christian Vieri, who will be sidelined with an inflamed tendon for more than one

• Round 4 Results

Lecce 0 Juventus 0
    Atalanta 1 Verona 0
    Chievo 4 Piacenza 2
    Parma 1 Brescia 0
    Udinese 2 Perugia 1
    Roma 2 Fiorentina 1
    Inter 1 Torino 0
    Bologna 1 Venezia 0
    Milan 2 Lazio 0

Standings W D L Pts

Juventus 3 1 0 10
    Milan 3 1 0 10
    Inter 3 1 0 10
    Chievo 3 0 1 9
    Bologna 3 0 1 9
    Lecce 1 3 0 6
    Brescia 1 2 1 5
    Verona 1 2 1 5
    Udinese 1 2 1 5
    Parma 1 2 1 5
    Roma 1 2 1 5
    Piacenza 1 1 2 4
    Lazio 0 3 1 3
    Fiorentina 1 0 3 3
    Atalanta 1 0 3 3
    Torino 0 2 2 2
    Perugia 0 2 2 2
    Venezia 0 0 0 4

Top Goalscorers

CHIESA Fiorentina 4
    KALLON Inter 4
    SHEVCHENKO Milan 4
    TARE Brescia 4
    DEL PIERO Juventus 3
    HUBNER Piacenza 3
    INZAGHI Milan 3
    MARAZZINA Chievo 3
    MUZZI Udinese 3
    TREZEGUET Juventus 3
    BAGGIO Brescia 2
    CHEVANTON Lecce 2
    CORINI Chievo 2
    GIACOMAZZI Lecce 2
    LAURSEN Milan 2
    PERROTTA Chievo 2
    VIERI Inter 2
    VRYZAS Perugia 2
  • Round 5 Results

Roma 2 Juventus 0
    Brescia 3 Atalanta 3
    Fiorentina 3 Venezia 1
    Inter 1 Bologna 0
    Lazio 0 Parma 0
    Perugia 3 Milan 1
    Piacenza 3 Torino 1
    Chievo 2 Udinese 1
    Verona 2 Lecce 1

Standings W D L Pts

Inter 4 1 0 13
    Chievo 4 0 1 12
    Juventus 3 1 1 10
    Milan 3 1 1 10
    Bologna 3 0 2 9
    Verona 2 2 1 8
    Roma 2 2 1 8
    Piacenza 2 1 2 7
    Lecce 1 3 1 6
    Brescia 1 3 1 6
    Parma 1 3 1 6
    Fiorentina 2 0 3 6
    Udinese 1 2 2 5
    Perugia 1 2 2 5
    Lazio 0 4 1 4
    Atalanta 1 1 3 4
    Torino 0 2 3 2
    Venezia 0 0 5 0

Top Goalscorers

BAGGIO Brescia 5
    CHIESA Fiorentina 5
    HUBNER Piacenza 5
    KALLON Inter 4
    SHEVCHENKO Milan 4
    TARE Brescia 4
    DEL PIERO Juventus 3
    INZAGHI Milan 3
    MARAZZINA Chievo 3
    MUZZI Udinese 3
    NUNO GOMES Fiorentina 3
    PERROTTA Chievo 3
    TREZEGUET Juventus 3
    VRYZAS Perugia 3

Nice to see Italian soccer's golden boy, Roberto Baggio top the goalscoring ladder. The Azzuri jersey beckons and it would be a fitting finale to a glorious career if he can play for Italy in the 2002 World Cup.
  • ZIDANE has just been named SERIE A MVP for last season
    while TOTTI is best Italian player

what a loss for SERIE A with ZIZOU now playing in SPAIN

2 years ago SPAIN overtook ITALY in the UEFA Country Co-Efficient Ranking mening the Spanish league is now better than the Italian league...after the champions league finals was played, the new rankings was released and Spain has extended its lead...
    LAZIOs performance in Europe might see Italy lose 2nd place to surging ENGLAND

whats happening
  • Round 6 (postponed)

Round 7 Results

Udinese 1 Inter 1
    Bologna 1 Verona 0
    Parma 2 Piacenza 2
    Lecce 4 Fiorentina 1
    Juventus 3 Torino 3
    Brescia 2 Chievo 2
    AC Milan 1 Venezia 1
    Roma 0 Perugia 0
    Lazio 2 Atalanta 0

Standings W D L Pts

Inter 4 2 0 14
    Chievo 4 1 1 13
    Bologna 4 0 2 12
    Juventus 3 2 1 11
    AC Milan 3 2 1 11
    Roma 2 3 1 9
    Lecce 2 3 1 9
    Verona 2 2 2 8
    Piacenza 2 2 2 8
    Brescia 1 4 1 7
    Parma 1 4 1 7
    Lazio 1 4 1 7
    Fiorentina 2 0 4 6
    Udinese 1 3 2 6
    Perugia 1 3 2 6
    Atalanta 1 1 4 4
    Torino 0 3 3 3
    Venezia 0 1 5 1

Top Goalscorers

HUBNER Piacenza 7
    BAGGIO Brescia 6
    CHIESA Fiorentina 5
    DEL PIERO Juventus 5
    SHEVCHENKO Milan 5
    KALLON Inter 4
    MARAZZINA Chievo 4
    TARE Brescia 4
    CHEVANTON Lecce 3
    GIACOMAZZI Lecce 3
    INZAGHI Milan 3
    LUCARELLI Torino 3
    MANIERO Venezia 3
    MUZZI Udinese 3
    NUNO GOMES Fiorentina 3
    PERROTTA Chievo 3
    TREZEGUET Juventus 3
    VRYZAS Perugia 3
    VUGRINEC Lecce 3
  • Whatever happened to Ronaldo? They always say he's gonna comeback blahblah and he does but he doesn't play the same game anymore. I remember World Cup'98 and all these ppl were saying he's the best thing since sliced bread. It seems sad. I almost think Nike ruined him by forcing him to play the finals.