NBA, PBA Legends Face Off

sakitsabangssakitsabangs All You Need Is PExer
By ANJO PEREZ and WAYLON GALVEZ

July 17, 2012, 8:03pm

MANILA, Philippines — Twelve former players in the National Basketball Association (NBA) arrived in the country on Tueday for an exhibition match with Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) stars at the newly constructed Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay City.

Former NBA greats and hall-of-famers Scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman headed the star-studded pack that arrived onboard a Malaysian Airlines flight from Kuala Lumpur, where they posted a rousing victory in their exhibition game against the Westports Malaysia Dragons last Monday.

Basketball fans at Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) were mesmerized by the towering visitors that also included Horace Grant, Jason Wiliiams, Mitch Richmond, Clifford Robinson, Jeffery Trepagnier, Charoy Bentley, Alexis Foyl, Chris Campbell, Victor Hoe Alexander and head coach Oscar Robertson.

Preparing to battle the visiting NBA stars of yesteryears are PBA’s finest retired players – Jojo Lastimosa, Kenneth Duremdez, Marlou Aquino, Nelson Asaytono, Bong Hawkins, Bal David, EJ Feihl, Noli Locsin, Jerry Codinera, and Vince Hizon.

Pippen and company from the U.S. Professional Basketball Alumni Association (US PBAA) hope to put on another show against the PBA Legends in their game today at 7 p.m. dubbed the “All-Star Basketball Challenge.”

The 6-foot-8 Pippen, who won six championships with the Chicago Bulls (1991-93 and 1996-98) and played for the Houston Rockets and the Portland Trailblazers, collected 12 points in a 96-81 victory of the US PBAA, a group of former NBA players.

Pippen, now 46 and has been retired in the NBA after playing his final season when he returned to the Bulls in 2003-04, arrived yesterday morning with some of his teammates.

Besides Pippen, Rodman is also expected to see action. This will be the second time for Rodman, also known as the “Worm,” to visit the Philippines.

Like Pippen, Rodman is also a multiple NBA champion having won two championships with the Detroit Pistons (1989 and 1990) and three with the Bulls (1996-98). He was inducted into the US Basketball Hall of Fame last year while Pippen was enshrined in 2010. Tickets to the exhibition game are priced between P310 and P5,075.

http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/366384/nba-pba-legends-face-off-today

All-Star-PBA-vs-NBA-Challenge.jpg

Venue: Mall of Asia Arena
Date: July 18, 2012
Time: 7pm

PBA All-Star Challenge Players:

Jojo Lastimosa
Kenneth Duremdez
Marlou Aquino
Nelson Asaytono
Bong Hawkins
Bal David
EJ Feihl
Noli Locsin
Jerry Codinera
Vince Hizon

NBA All-Star Challenge Players:

Scottie Pippen
Dennis Rodman
Horace Grant
Mitch Richmond
Jason Williams
Bryon Russell
Cliff Robinson
Charoy Bentley
Jeff Trepagnier
Chris Campbell
Alexis Foyle
Oscar ‘The Big O’ Robertson

Ticket Prices:

Php 5,075
Php 5,075
Php 2,540
Php 2,030
Php 1,020
Php 500
Php 310

Comments

• nash_bedistanash_bedista Member ✭✭✭✭
    sabi nila miakka lim at boyet sison sa twitter, ayaw daw mag pa autograph nila scottie pippen?
  • sakitsabangssakitsabangs All You Need Is PExer
    Baka marumi yung pentel pen. :glee:

Anong ginagawa ni Vince hizon sa lineup? Seryoso? Marami pa namang mas magagaling na players.
  • renaissance11renaissance11 for the better ✭✭✭
    ej feihl :D

this is worth watching
  • Max_BuwayaMax_Buwaya Member ✭✭✭
    kung bakit naman nila itinaon kasabay ng pwestuhan sa semis mamaya...
  • oyen_invaderoyen_invader Animo ✭✭✭
    With EJ Feihl and Marlou Aquino in the lineup, worth-watching nga.:glee:
  • Jay P. MercadoJay P. Mercado Moderator PEx Moderator
    Much appreciation to my Executive Producer in The Greatest Games shown on Pinoy Extreme cable and I'll be able to watch the game tonight at the MOA Arena.

Nothing really much to watch but it would be pure entertainment for the Chicago Bull fan in me. Pip, Horace and Rodman were players I cheered for in the 90's and it would be a treat to see them live.

It's unfortunate that in the process, I will miss the crucial PBA games twinbill but then, you don't get to see these guys playing that often so I had to make a choice. I'll catch up with the PBA results online in the venue while enjoying the game.
  • cotton_oncotton_on strive for greatness ✭✭✭
    sabi daw ni toquinits, sa lunes ipapalabas yung NBA legends v. PBA legends sa AKTV, after ng NCAA games.
  • bgkingsbgkings Member ✭✭✭
    Ano na balita dito?
  • pristonpikerpristonpiker Agent10♠J♠Q♠K♠A♠ ✭✭
    cotton_on wrote: »
    sabi daw ni toquinits, sa lunes ipapalabas yung NBA legends v. PBA legends sa AKTV, after ng NCAA games.

mga 7:30pm onwards naman siguro ano? may class kasi ako 6:30pm :mecry:
    112-93, US All Stars win against PBA legends.
  • bgkingsbgkings Member ✭✭✭
    ^hmm madami kayang nanuod? mukhang nasa araneta lahat kanina eh haha
  • cotton_oncotton_on strive for greatness ✭✭✭
    ^as per twitter ni Patricia Hizon:

AyFZajvCMAARi5G.jpg:large

di masyadong kita yung Gen Ad, pero mukhang bakante base sa picture
    No, the rafters weren't filled. I estimate around 4k to 5k fans trooping at the SM MOA Arena last night to watch the games. I didn't even get to finish the game, opting to leave at halftime with the hope of catching the BGK-TNT game. Instead, I was able to monitor the last 5 minutes of the game on PBA Radio courtesy of Rizza Diaz and Barry Pascua.

Just wondering what happened to the other PBA Legends? With only 10 players, these guys won't last, especially since the NBA All Stars paraded some relatively young players themselves to relieve the superstars. It would have been nicer to see at least 5 more PBA legends or if not, 5 present PBA players who're not involved in the playoffs. I'd understand why the likes of Alvin Patrimonio, Jeffrey Cariaso, Johnny Abarrientos of B-Meg, Allan Caidic and Samboy Lim of BGK, and Bong Ravena of TNT didn't get to suit up. But Ato Agustin and Hector Calma of Petron and Ronnie Magsanoc of Meralco could have suited up. But then, I realized that since this was purely a SM endeavor, perhaps there was no tie-up made with the PBA. So perhaps, other PBA legends like Vergel Meneses, Benjie Paras, Dennis Espino, Dindo Pumaren, among others could've suited up. You know the budget isn't exactly huge when you have Jerry Codi?era acting out a dual role as playing coach though.
  • durden_tylerdurden_tyler Member PExer
    The American All (Old) Stars won... big over the Philippines All (Very Old) stars by... a wide margin.

Obviously i don't care much about the score. What i do care about though is JWill's stat line. From the top of my head (thus, all rough estimates):
    26 points
    on 8 of 14 FG shooting
    with at least 4 three pointers
    FG's made/attempts were pull-up three pointers off a fastbreak (made at least 3)
    - one attempt was from way beyond the arc
    - one attempt was from wayyy beyond the arc (near half court)
    ... both of which were mises
    - lay-up over EJ Feihl
    - a couple of lay-ups after steals
    6 to 8 assists (should have been more if his old-er teammates converted, but they did not because of old age)
    - at least three were lookaways
    - at least four were behind the back attempts; at least two found the target/was converted
    - one behind the back was after dribbling between the legs (right to left) and dribble behind the back
    - an alley oop attempt targetting Pippen (did not convert due to old age)
    - an alley oop OFF THE SHOT CLOCK attempt targetting Pippen (again, not converted because of old age)
    - an alley oop off the back board (SUCCESS as Pippen found his legs for a simple slam)
    3-4 steals
    2 rebounds

So yeah, i think i did enjoy this evening (all the while waiting for the PBA scores updates via text message; MOA Wifi sucks) and yeah, i think i am a little bit of a Jwill fan :D
  • netsnets Member PExer
    No, the rafters weren't filled. I estimate around 4k to 5k fans trooping at the SM MOA Arena last night to watch the games. I didn't even get to finish the game, opting to leave at halftime with the hope of catching the BGK-TNT game. Instead, I was able to monitor the last 5 minutes of the game on PBA Radio courtesy of Rizza Diaz and Barry Pascua.

Just wondering what happened to the other PBA Legends? With only 10 players, these guys won't last, especially since the NBA All Stars paraded some relatively young players themselves to relieve the superstars. It would have been nicer to see at least 5 more PBA legends or if not, 5 present PBA players who're not involved in the playoffs. I'd understand why the likes of Alvin Patrimonio, Jeffrey Cariaso, Johnny Abarrientos of B-Meg, Allan Caidic and Samboy Lim of BGK, and Bong Ravena of TNT didn't get to suit up. But Ato Agustin and Hector Calma of Petron and Ronnie Magsanoc of Meralco could have suited up. But then, I realized that since this was purely a SM endeavor, perhaps there was no tie-up made with the PBA. So perhaps, other PBA legends like Vergel Meneses, Benjie Paras, Dennis Espino, Dindo Pumaren, among others could've suited up. You know the budget isn't exactly huge when you have Jerry Codi?era acting out a dual role as playing coach though.

what do you expect...mukhang si Vince hizon ang in charge sa pag aayos ng line up..then result.. OLD NBA LEGENDS vs OLD BARANGAY GINEBRA with some additions..
  • baludoybaludoy Nag me-meron ✭✭✭
    sabi nila miakka lim at boyet sison sa twitter, ayaw daw mag pa autograph nila scottie pippen?

siguro kasi sa states binibenta sa ebay iyong mga signatured items ng mga "fans". hindi daw sila kumikita dun kaya ayaw nila mag-sign hehe
  • carshowcarshow The Generator PExer
    So Rodman finally acknowledged his father.
  • sakitsabangssakitsabangs All You Need Is PExer
    The visiting NBA alumni defeated their PBA counterparts, 112-93, in the PLDT All-Star Basketball Challenge on Wednesday, at the Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay City.

The American selection featured all-time greats Scottie Pippen, Dennis Rodman, Mitch Richmond, Jason Williams, Horace Grant and Cliff Robinson, as well as younger journeymen Victor Alexander, Chris Campbell, Charoy Bentley and Jeff Trepagnier. The team was coached by NBA Hall of Famer Oscar Robertson.

The Philippines was represented by their own legendary players, including Jojo Lastimosa, Kenneth Duremdes, Marlou Aquino, Bong Hawkins, Vince Hizon, EJ Feihl, Bal David, Nelson Asaytono and Jerry Codinera.

Williams, who won a championship as point guard of the Miami Heat, led all scorers with 26 points. He displayed his shooting prowess with five three-point baskets, and his arsenal of ball-handling skills that earned him the nickname, "White Chocolate."

Before the game began, the University of the Philippines Pep Squad kicked off the event with a cheerleading performance. After the respective player introductions, the teams were handed individual plaques of appreciation by representatives from the SM group.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/265901/sports/basketball/nba-all-stars-trip-pba-all-stars-in-exhibition-game

SLIDESHOW: NBA, PBA stars entertain Pinoy hoops fans

nba-09.jpg

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/07/19/12/nba-pba-stars-entertain-pinoy-hoops-fans
  • Ahura MazdaAhura Mazda Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sir JPM, kamusta ang laro ni Bal David?
  • pulangpulapulangpula Member PExer
    ang lupit pa rin ni White Chocolate maglaro, pero the best assist niya of the night is iyung hagis niya ng autographed ball to a kid in one of the VIP suites, eksakto!

other highlights:

- duh, saw scottie pippen signing autographs last night.

- iyung anak ni bong hawkins naka jersey pa sa bench nung PBA old stars eh, akala ko ipapasok.

- iyung campbell ng USA All Stars, ex Harlem Globetrotter, ang ganda nung shoes, akala mo kamador, iyun pala... sumablay ang isang dunk tapos natapalan pa ni noli locsin.

- si EJ Feihl nag improve ang laro, may shooting na

- dennis rodman hit back to back long twos, tapos during the last 16 secs he acknowledged his father in the crowd, mukhang bati na sila.

- horace grant and mitch richmond were definitely out of shape, pero si richmond may shooting pa din. pippen, jwill, rodman and cliff robinson seemed to be in good shape. si pippen nakadakdak pa courtesy of an off the board pass by jwill.

- among the pba players, kenneth duremdes had the best game. meron stretch na naibaba iyung lamang to 7 courtesy of a string of duremdes threes.

- si noli locsin nakaisang siko kay cliff robinson, natawa lang si robinson

- vince hizon and bal david had the worst performance among the PBA players, namaga ring sa dami ng attempt ni hizon sa tres la namang pumapasok. pero pinakamaganda iyung shoes ni bal david, anta na kulay baby blue.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file