COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

Tagalogue

caporegimecaporegime ilpadrino lite™ PExer
I may have already asked this before but again, who among our colonizers affixed or influenced the word 'log' (to be suffixed) in Tagalog?

Obviously, its fits the usage however the origin seems to be non-native:

"-logue: a combining form used in the names of kinds of discourse, spoken or written: analogue; monologue; travelogue."

I don't buy the crap Wikipedia provides btw. *ʞıɥ*

Comments

• ElCidElCid Roman Catholic PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    caporegime wrote: »
    I may have already asked this before but again, who among our colonizers affixed or influenced the word 'log' (to be suffixed) in Tagalog?

Obviously, its fits the usage however the origin seems to be non-native:

"-logue: a combining form used in the names of kinds of discourse, spoken or written: analogue; monologue; travelogue."

I don't buy the crap Wikipedia provides btw. *ʞıɥ*

Tagalog is two words actually: Taga Ilog or River people if I remember my Philippine History correctly. It refers to the people who lived by the Pasig River when the Spaniards came. The two words later became contracted and the result was Tagalog. Same thing happened to the word Malaca?an - May Lacan Diyan.
  • AteoAteo Non est Deus. Fac cum eo. PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Possibly just legends. Malacanang was built as a summer resort of a Spanish gentleman not a native lakan. So, it should have been called May Puti Dyan.

As for the Tagalogs, the competing legend said that they were a tribe who liked to party so much, so their disturbed neighboring tribe called them as mga Tagal-Tulog.
  • marcus_huntmarcus_hunt Member PExer
    Tagalog - "taga itlog" how other tribes called those in northern part of the country, referring to how they were easily subdued by the Spaniards.

Malacanan was from "malaki iyan" - the Spanish gentleman named Rocha was known as "malaki iyan" referring to his big er being big.
    Tagalog - "taga itlog" how other tribes called those in northern part of the country, referring to how they were easily subdued by the Spaniards.

Malacanan was from "malaki iyan" - the Spanish gentleman named Rocha was known as "malaki iyan" referring to his big er being big.

I think this is a better explanation even better than Ateo's or mine lols
  • AteoAteo Non est Deus. Fac cum eo. PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I agree. Marcus' explanation is what most likely happened unless there are better legends out there.
  • iskrotumiskrotum Ako si King Kong! PExer
    Malaki ang vetlogue ko.
    iskrotum wrote: »
    Malaki ang vetlogue ko.

Thou shalt not carry a load that is more than you can carry.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file