Home PEx Business and Careers Banking and Finance

CC | On Pre-approved Credit Cards

qazwsxedcrfvtgbqazwsxedcrfvtgb Member PEx Expert 🎖️
edited March 2019 in Banking and Finance
Hi! I currently have only one credit card with BPI and all of my savings, time deposits in PHP and USD are deposited in BPI as well. I do have a payroll account with UCPB though.

I've read in other forums that some people get pre-approved credit cards, while some bigla na lang tatawagan informing them na they have pre-approved credit cards, yung iba naman is bigla nalang pinapadalhan ng credit cards without them applying for one.

So here's my question. What normally is their basis in granting one a pre-approved credit card? Is it possible that these banks share like a common database so they can track whether one is in good credit standing and eventually consider giving them a pre-approved card? TIA!

Comments

• KuyaDannyKuyaDanny Moderator PEx Moderator
    Yes, credit card companies share (some) cardholder information with each other, and your experience with one card issuer may be a basis for another bank issuing you a pre-approved card. It has been the case for me. In my case, one card had an error in the billing address (wrong zip code) which was carried over to the second card issuer's record. ;)

Your experience with one card issuer may also be a basis for durect marketing, so don't be surprised if you get mail, text messages, and phone calls inviting you to apply for personal loans, or informing you that you have been "prequalified" for some prize that you have to claim at some obscure office at an inconvenient location.
  • marlowe1701marlowe1701 PEx Rookie ⭐
    KuyaDanny wrote: »
    Yes, credit card companies share (some) cardholder information with each other, and your experience with one card issuer may be a basis for another bank issuing you a pre-approved card. It has been the case for me. In my case, one card had an error in the billing address (wrong zip code) which was carried over to the second card issuer's record. ;)

Your experience with one card issuer may also be a basis for durect marketing, so don't be surprised if you get mail, text messages, and phone calls inviting you to apply for personal loans, or informing you that you have been "prequalified" for some prize that you have to claim at some obscure office at an inconvenient location.

@kuya danny, is phil prudential one of them???kasi may nareceive akong text message, they knew my name and may pina pa claim sa akin sa office nila sa Ortigas...
  • TastyXtinaTastyXtina PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    i have a deposit relationship with bdo and hsbc.. bdo being my savings bank and hsbc being my payroll. Bdo sent me credit card sa bahay ko.. tapos after1.5 years EWB txted me that they'll be sending me my card which is weird coz i never applied for one. i never had an application.. no verbal approval.. no documents submitted.. no deposit relationship. never had a friendwho works for them. i called their cust serv yesterday that indeed a card was mailed to my office which hindi naman tatanggapin yun sa office. ang nakakaloka pa. iba ang nagrereflect sa kanila na employer ko..
  • qazwsxedcrfvtgbqazwsxedcrfvtgb Member PEx Expert 🎖️
    TastyXtina wrote: »
    i have a deposit relationship with bdo and hsbc.. bdo being my savings bank and hsbc being my payroll. Bdo sent me credit card sa bahay ko.. tapos after1.5 years EWB txted me that they'll be sending me my card which is weird coz i never applied for one. i never had an application.. no verbal approval.. no documents submitted.. no deposit relationship. never had a friendwho works for them. i called their cust serv yesterday that indeed a card was mailed to my office which hindi naman tatanggapin yun sa office. ang nakakaloka pa. iba ang nagrereflect sa kanila na employer ko..

Hi. Does this mean that you're in good credit standing and had never been a revolver?
    KuyaDanny wrote: »

Ok, thanks Kuya Danny. I did receive a number of invitations for personal loans, but its from BPI though. hehe
  • iceejay22iceejay22 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    @kuya danny, is phil prudential one of them???kasi may nareceive akong text message, they knew my name and may pina pa claim sa akin sa office nila sa Ortigas...

Insurance lang yun. Same thing happened to my dad. Pinapunta kesyo daw my reward icclaim sayang naman daw tapos pagdating don pinipilit syang kumuha ng insurance.
  • TastyXtinaTastyXtina PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Hi. Does this mean that you're in good credit standing and had never been a revolver?

never. always been transactor:D
  • Hi! I currently have only one credit card with BPI and all of my savings, time deposits in PHP and USD are deposited in BPI as well. I do have a payroll account with UCPB though.

I've read in other forums that some people get pre-approved credit cards, while some bigla na lang tatawagan informing them na they have pre-approved credit cards, yung iba naman is bigla nalang pinapadalhan ng credit cards without them applying for one.

So here's my question. What normally is their basis in granting one a pre-approved credit card? Is it possible that these banks share like a common database so they can track whether one is in good credit standing and eventually consider giving them a pre-approved card? TIA!

Hi,

Based on my experience if you maintain a savings/checking account with an ADB of 50k and above for about a year or two they will give a pre approved card this is regardless if your name is in CMAP, CIBI etc., maybe they generate this on their system and shortlist those depositors that they think will qualify. Just my opinion, hope this helps.
  • hindi rin. ako nga 5 taon na ako may account sa BDO eh hindi naman ako napapadalhan ng CC. at hindi naman maliit ang deposito ko sa kanila ha. :(
  • hindi rin. ako nga 5 taon na ako may account sa BDO eh hindi naman ako napapadalhan ng CC. at hindi naman maliit ang deposito ko sa kanila ha. :(

Hi marilynmangubat,

Would you mind if I ask magkano ADB mo mo s BDO or at least a ball park figure, kasi halos lahat ng kakilala ko, including my self na may bad record n napadlahan ng BDO, basta may account k s kanila around 50k ADB. Try mo mag maintain ng account s Eastwest bank, nagpadala din s akin pero I canceled n kasi ok n s kin yun isa lang n Visa, dito yun most of my emergency funds ko n ka deposit after 2 years they sent me a card without even applying, hope this helps.
  • 6 figures. :) bahala sila kung ayaw nila magpadala, pakialam ko ba sa bdo na yan, may cc naman na ako sa ibang bangko.
  • actually nagtakaka din ako, im not sure why pero my gf got her pre-approved cc from metrobank after just a year, then im working for 4 years na, wala pa rin... :(

makes me a credit card virgin... *peace*
    wow it's been a year since i first created this thread. Kahit na di ako nakakuha ng pre-approved card from other banks, my BPI credit card somehow helped me in my application with other banks. last month, i got approved with Citibank and this month with HSBC. :)
  • resisusresisus PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Hi! I currently have only one credit card with BPI and all of my savings, time deposits in PHP and USD are deposited in BPI as well. I do have a payroll account with UCPB though.

Di pala nag-iissue ang BPI ng pre-approved credit cards kahit na may savings and time deposit ka na sa kanila.

Buti pa sa metrobank, nag-iissue sila.
  • resisus wrote: »
    Di pala nag-iissue ang BPI ng pre-approved credit cards kahit na may savings and time deposit ka na sa kanila.

Buti pa sa metrobank, nag-iissue sila.

Nag-iisue sila. I got my first cc dahil tinawagan nila ako na pre-approved daw. I have a savings account with them.
  • resisusresisus PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    flipflops8 wrote: »
    Nag-iisue sila. I got my first cc dahil tinawagan nila ako na pre-approved daw. I have a savings account with them.

Yup, lately lang sila nagkaroon ng ganyan.
    Sayang nga eh, di nila ako ma-offeran. Hahaha!

Swerte niyong mga natawagan. *okay*
  • Le_DauphinLe_Dauphin PEx Rookie ⭐
    From what I understand pre-approved credit cards were banned by BSP around early 2011. Pre-approved meaning, magugulat ka na lang, merong courier na nasa pintuan ng bahay/opisina mo giving you a card.

Banks seem to have found a work around it, they simply ask you or call you if gusto mo ba ng credit card and if you say yes, they have one made and delivered to you. That's the newest form of Pre-Approved cards in the Philippines.
  • With regards sa Pre-Approved credit cards, most banks sa pilipinas, gumagawa nyan, lalo na sa mga depositor nila na malaki ang laman ng account, heheh, parang taktika nila na, "Ay ang daming pera nito, kaysa ibang bank ang makinabang, e pakinabangan ko na" hahaha, prang ganun, usually, magugulat na lang ang client na nasa doorsteps na naila ang credit card, sometimes, ang highest credit limit pa ang ibinibigay nila.. w/c sometimes comes with a high annual fee too. anyways, for those on the go, like business owner, it will help them a lot, but for a simple employee, nakakainis, lalo na kung malaki ang annual fee, heheh, I have heard of an incident pa nag sa 1 of my cleint na, bigla na lang may dumating na credit card sa kanya from eastwest bank, and she said she did not apply for 1, then she remembers an agent called her via office phone, then ask for her informations, like name, address.. etc. but wala naman daw syang pinasang docs, anyways, somehow she's thankful about it, but at first syempre embarrasing lalo na kung hindi yun ang first card mo. sa mga 1st timer medyo okay e, pero kapag pang 3 o mahigit pa na cc ang meron ka, nakaka bwisit na..

Anyways, I am a credit card agent. kaya I know that.
  • i also got a pre approved credit card. yung una from bdo eh 5k lang deposit ko sa kanila. pero di ko pina activate, one reason is kailangan ng TIN which is wala ako dahil sa ibang country ako nagwowork. 2nd pre approved eh metrobank. tagal ko ng may account sa kanila, pero usually wala naman laman yun, more on remittance purposes lang. now ginagamit ko yung credit card na bigay ng metrobank. sana may mag send ulit sakin ng pre approved, gusto ko kasi magkaron ng 2nd cc
  • KuyaDannyKuyaDanny Moderator PEx Moderator
    Pre-approved credit cards were banned in 2010.
    BSP deputy governor Dr. Johnny Ravalo said the BSP is trying to keep track of banks who are still sending pre-approved credit cards despite a ban implemented in 2010.

“If you do get those cards in the mail, please call the Financial Consumer Affairs Group of the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas. We would like to not only monitor all of these things, but the reason why the regulation was put in play was because we believe there is a policy issue involved where the financial consumer is ultimately bearing the burden of something that could have been avoided from the started,” Ravalo said on ANC’s “On The Money.”

The BSP issued Circular 702 on December 15, 2010, which prohibits banks, quasi-banks and their subsidiary or affiliate credit card companies from issuing pre-approved cards.

Why you shouldn't throw away pre-approved credit cards