FEATURE ADJUSTMENT: The Flag button is temporarily unavailable for members. We are doing certain system adjustments as of the moment to prevent some users from abusing this feature. For reports, please message the moderators or email us at [email protected]
PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at [email protected] Thank you!

for classic movie lovers: Gene Kelly vs. Fred Astaire

Anyone out there who loves old movies as much as I do? Here's one of the biggest debates of all time: Compare Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire and who do you like more?

As for me, I can't decide. I loved the way Gene Kelly incorporated almost all the poular dance genres during his time. He also had a yummy a$$ hehehe. :D But I hear he was a perfectionist so leading ladies liked working with Fred Astaire a wee bit more...
Fred Astaire was fun to work with daw, but he wasn't as sexy as Gene kelly. My favourite Gene Kelly movies are Anchors Aweigh and it was so amazing to see him dance with Astaire in the Zeigfield (:rolleyes: tama ba spelling? ) Follies.

:)

Comments

• yakultyakult ok ka ba tiyan? PExer
    I absolutely loved Singin' in the Rain.*okay* of course, Donald O'Connor and Debbie Reynolds had a lot to do with me liking that movie, but it was Gene Kelly that made me love it!:beam:

Yoshi, maybe you could make this a poll?:D
  • myrtle_turtlemyrtle_turtle Angie's Turtle PExer
    Yoshi, yeah I think it's a good poll idea? ;)

BTW Yakult, I also love Singin' In the Rain. It was a really hilarious film!!! Like that part where they dubbed the "talking movie" scene wrong.. Jean Hagen going No no no in a deep voice (while nodding her head) LOL! :rotflmao:

But my favourite movie goddess is AUDREY HEPBURN. :)
  • The RockThe Rock Old school smackdown layer PExer
    Gene Kelly for The Rock. The man was such a virtuoso on the dance floor, having been trained in ballet. But he was no sissy, as you could always see a mix of power and grace in his movements. Also, The Rock aways found Fred Astaire looking a little funny. maybe it's because he was a little guy who had to dance with some taller partners or maybe it's because he resembled Stan Laurel of Laurel & Hardy.:lol:

The Rock's favorite dance partner for Gene Kelly will always be the long-legged dance goddess known as Cyd Charisse.:wow:
    :argue: The Rock, I don't think Gene Kelly looks like Stan of Laurel and Hardy. He was very cute! Especially when he wore those green tights in the movie "The Pirate". He had the most amazing body. :drool:
  • DarthScullyDarthScully StarWarsChick PExer
    oops!
  • DarthScullyDarthScully StarWarsChick PExer
    Gene Kelly is the best!!!

i've seen Fred Astaire dance with Ginger Roberts in films several times and even a short segment where he does a dance duo with Gene Kelly, and no doubt about it, Gene Kelly is the Man!!!

i loved ALL of Kelly's films. Unfortunately i don't remember all the titles, but Anchors Aweigh was the movie i liked him best so far. Singing in the Rain was pretty good too, as well as American in Paris, Three Musketeers and Take me out to the ball game, and so many other great films.
  • The RockThe Rock Old school smackdown layer PExer
    Originally posted by myrtle_turtle
    :argue: The Rock, I don't think Gene Kelly looks like Stan of Laurel and Hardy. He was very cute! Especially when he wore those green tights in the movie "The Pirate". He had the most amazing body. :drool:
    Re-read the post, The Rock said Fred Astaire looked like Stan Laurel.
  • Mark Renton96Mark Renton96 Choose life... PExer
    I'd go for Gene Kelly but since one of my favorite movies is "Funny Face" I have a soft spot for Fred Astaire
  • nussnuss GAU PR ✭✭
    boat?
    Re-read the post, The Rock said Fred Astaire looked like Stan Laurel. [/QUOTE]

Oopps! My bad... :bonkself: Actually, yeah Fred Astaire does look funny... especially dancing next to Ginger Roges... But if you watched Zeigfield Follies, you can actually see the difference between Astaire and Kelly... Astaire's moves are more flawless, fluid. Gene Kelly looks a bit stilted next to him. Oh and I still don't agree that Astaire looks like Stan Laurel... ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file