A Pinoy in the Americas

ЅUX2B?ЅUX2B? El Verdadero Guayabero PExer
I'm creating this thread as an offshoot of mariadams' A Pinay in Europe.

I'll be sharing my travel stories and adventures in North, Central and South America and the Caribbean.

I hope you can also share yours and let's make this thread a compendium of our travel experiences in one of the world's most colorful and amazing regions.

:)

Comments

• ЅUX2B?ЅUX2B? El Verdadero Guayabero PExer
    I'll start off with Costa Rica, my country of residence for more than 10 years now. (I often jokingly call Costa Rica as my 'madrastang bayan' because Pinas is, of course, my 'inang bayan'). :laugh:

125px-Flag_of_Costa_Rica.svg.png

Cerro Chirrip?\, Costa Rica

I usually bowl the minds of my friends over whenever I unanticipatedly decide to be gone surreptitiously for a week --- be it from work, school or a date --- just to climb mountains.

The beauty seen in the following picture is one of the reasons why I have decided to stay in Costa Rica and will prove that mountains are more poetic than oceans, for me at least. The photo below was taken by my friend while we were heading to Cerro Chirrip?'s summit (3819 meters or 12602 feet), the highest peak I've climbed so far, beating my 2001 record in Machu Picchu at 2500m (8000 feet).

P6060249a.jpg

Where is Cerro Chirrip?\, Costa Rica? Click here for the interactive map.

• jeune_fillejeune_fille i roared and i rampaged PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Yehey, I'll be waiting for South America :)
    125px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png

San Andr?s, Colombia

The interplay of impressive crystal turquoise and blue waters, unsullied cays, and creamy white beaches makes this somewhat isolated UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve as a very important and popular tourist destination in the Caribbean Sea.

(I got a great deal in 2005 for only US$150, all inclusive--RT tickets CR-SA, accommodation, meals, transfers, et cetera).

waters.jpg

waters2.jpg

road.jpg

fish.jpg

Where is San Andr?s, Colombia? Click here for the interactive map.

125px-Flag_of_Mexico.svg.png

Lungsod ng Mehiko, Distritong Federal, Mehiko

Ito ang Catedral Metropolitana (o kilala rin bilang Archdiocese ng syudad ng Mexico at isang parangal sa pag-akyat sa langit ng Birheng Mar?a) na matatagpuan sa Z?calo (impormal na tawag sa pamosong Plaza ng Konstitusyon). Ang katedral na ito, na simulang ginawa noong 1571 at natapos ng mga unang dekada ng 1800, ay isang halimbawa ng Spanish baroque na arkitektura. Sa gilid naman ng katedral na ito ay may isang kapilya na ang tawag ay Sagrario Metropolitano na ginawa sa kalagitnaan naman ng 1700. Ang kapilyang ito naman ay isang halimbawa ng istilong baroque na tinatawag namang Churrigueresque:

mexico11.jpg

Sa loob ng katedral ay matatagpuan ang napaka-grandiyosong "Altar ng Pagpapatawad o Pagsisisi" na ginawa naman noong mga 1730. Istilong Churrigueresque din ang tawag sa napaka-detalyadong obra na ito:

mexico15.jpg

Ito naman ang Nave Central na matatagpuan din sa loob ng katedral, na sa dulo naman nito ay makikita ang "Altar ng mga Hari":

mexico12.jpg

Saan ang Mexico City, Federal Disctrict? I-klik ito para sa mapang interaktibo.

240px-Mexico_map%2C_MX-DIF.svg.png

• mariadamsmariadams www.mariadams.com PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Congrats for this new thread!
    The Americas have been my dream continents to visit so I am looking forward to getting to know the countries in ka Sux's eyes...not Lonely Planet's...not Frommers'...Bravo!!!
  • superparadise_Xsuperparadise_X shaken n stirred :-) PExer
    hahhahahha....Congrats SUX2BU-the TS:)!!!

I can vividly remember walking along those hanging bridges in the dense forest of Costa Rica..not good for someone who is afraid of heights-like me, lolz!

I was just reading your post about San Andres too as I have so many friends from that beautiful island of Colombia... never been there but someday maybe!

it would be a privilege and honor to share some travel stories too on this thread:)

Pasame la botella.. Voy a beber en nombre de ella!!! (Cheers to the new thread!)
  • siriusdansiriusdan lurker no more PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    i love the americas. i got a glimpse of it while working in a cruise ship for at least 4 years. i quit more than a year ago (i still don't know why). i have got plenty of videos and pics to show you guys (i was a photgrapher/videographer onboard). im trying to organize them so i could post it here.

of all the americas my favorite would be south america. gorgeous people!!! amazing sceneries and the food!!! oh my god. south america is a haven for meat lovers like me.
  • siriusdansiriusdan lurker no more PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    ЅUX2B? wrote: »
    I'll start off with Costa Rica, my country of residence for more than 10 years now. (I often jokingly call Costa Rica as my 'madrastang bayan' because Pinas is, of course, my 'inang bayan'). :laugh:

how does one live in another country? i always wanted to live abroad. i love the philippines but i think i owe it to myself to live somewhere new.

pura vida!!!
  • wanderer9020wanderer9020 Not all who wander are lost PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Excelente! gracias por la creacion de este!

Latin Americas, the place to be!

Tickets booked this coming December to Mexico and Guatemala.

Sharing few pics from a recent trip last February to beautiful Peru.

Palacio Nacional, en historico capital, Lima, Peru . Too bad, no blue sky, but the city is awesome...
    DSC01562.jpg

Plaza de Armas en La Cusco, Peru, the jumping point to magnificient Machu Piccu. At 3400 meters above sea level, mild symptoms of altitude sickness is one of the problem here, but almost everyone is fine including me except from breathing problems, when we try ( I travelled alone, meet few Europeans to hike some higher part of the town). Its a colonial heritage town, love it very much but its too touristy. I once hired a taxi and says, Plaza de Armas por favor, and he said , tres soles si? ( i know its just 10 mins or less ride).Tres solis is like 1 USD, I never take a taxi in my life for 1 USD. I just said, areglado amigo! Vamos!. I tip him and gave him 10 soles, He cannot believe his luck , hahaha.

DSC01528.jpg

The train which will take me to what Im looking for.... Dang, its about to rain. But , I travelled thousand of kilometers away, even jumping two continents just to reach here, so rain won't stop me, hehehe.

DSC01475-1.jpg

And behold, in heavy rain, the magnificent Machu Piccu built by the Incas. On how they do it is beyond my imagination. In traveling, a weather should not ruin your journey, its part of the experience, especially if you travelled that far. I bought a 6 soles kapote (2 USD), and its enough and ur not the only one doing it, the place is still full of tourist, hehehe, but my camera is not rainproof so pictures are limited. I suggest to come to the summer season. I went on February 6 to be exact.

DSC01524.jpg

More.........
    DSC01488.jpg
  • purpleheadd07purpleheadd07 Babae po ako PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    i like, like, like! *okay*
    mariadams wrote: »
    Congrats for this new thread!
    The Americas have been my dream continents to visit so I am looking forward to getting to know the countries in ka Sux's eyes...not Lonely Planet's...not Frommers'...Bravo!!!

Thanks a mil, mariadams! I know I should have created the thread a long time ago.

I'll make sure you and the other PExers learn a lot about the Americas through this thread.

hahhahahha....Congrats SUX2BU-the TS:)!!!

I can vividly remember walking along those hanging bridges in the dense forest of Costa Rica..not good for someone who is afraid of heights-like me, lolz!

I was just reading your post about San Andres too as I have so many friends from that beautiful island of Colombia... never been there but someday maybe!

it would be a privilege and honor to share some travel stories too on this thread:)

Pasame la botella.. Voy a beber en nombre de ella!!! (Cheers to the new thread!)

Thank you, superparadise_X!

Are you talking about the Selvatura hanging bridges in Monteverde?

125px-Flag_of_Costa_Rica.svg.png

Monteverde, Costa Rica

Hanging bridges and skywalks spanning for more or less a kilometer and about 50 meters above the ground are very common in Costa Rica's cloud forests:

Monteverde-Sky-Walk.jpg

Puente+largo-+Selvatura.jpg

Puente+varillas-+Selvatura.jpg
    Sloth Backpackers Photos

Monteverde is one of my favorite places in the entire Central America.

map.jpg

• nikkilovenikkilove Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    wow ang ganda,

kaya pala were losing American tourists to these countries.

sa work nga lagi ko naririnig yung mga kano na mag ba Brazil sila, mag ca Caribbean sila, punta sila Peru.

How are the transportation and safety Sux, di ba mahirap to get around for non Spanish speakers?
    Hi, nikkilove! Welcome to the thread!

Hindi naman mahirap ang transpo at tulad ng lahat ng bansa ay may mga parte talagang medyo dapat mag-alangan ang isang turista. Pero sa kabuuan naman ay walang dapat ikabahala.

Pinaka-delikadong napuntahan ko ay 'yung sa palibot at border ng Panam? at Colombia (Dari?n Gap na tinatawag). Marami na ang sasaway sa 'yo kung magtatangka kang tawirin 'yun.

Sa Guatemala at Honduras din ay may mga parteng medyo delikado at dapat iwasan.

Sa ibang parte naman ng South America (Per?, Bolivia, Ecuador, Chile, Argentina, atbp.) ay hindi naman delikado at madali lang umikot.

At medyo mahirap lang talaga kung hindi ka nagsasalita ng Espanyol lalo kung sa mga lugar na madalang ang mga nagsasalita ng Inggles. Pero sa mga lugar na sangkaterba ang mga turista ay madalas may nakakaintindi at nagsasalita naman ng Inggles.

siriusdan wrote: »
    how does one live in another country? i always wanted to live abroad. i love the philippines but i think i owe it to myself to live somewhere new.

pura vida!!!

Absolute eagerness and lots of guts.

Brazil and Peru ang points of interest ko because I'll be going there on 2014 or if not baka 2016 na haha.(tagal pa hehehe). sana marami kayong ma-share about those. Basically in Peru, Macchu Picchu and the capital Lima lang ang type ko. Sana yung about cityscapes and the usual tourist attractions ang mas ma-highlight. yoko ng mga outdoorsy sports activities.demanding ahehe.

Naku, baka hingalin ka sa Machu Picchu. Kung gusto mo ng cityscape sa Perú, tumambay ka na lang sa Miraflores.

:laugh:
    125px-Flag_of_the_United_States_%28Pantone%29.svg.png

Chicago, Illinois, USA

They say Chicago is "the home of the blues and the truth of jazz", but it's definitely more than that as it can rival NYC's art vibe, architecture and iconic structures, beautiful waterfront, culinary scene and multicultural personality.

It was winter of 2010 when I first visited Chicago (not the best time I know), but it was a now-or-never scenario for me. I joined my younger brother, who was also vacationing there that time. With the reliable CTA buses ($20+ for a week), we were able to get around downtown.

We thoroughly enjoyed taking a promenade along the lakefront overlooking the Windy City's skyline and skyscrapers. The astronomy show at the Adler Planetarium made me remember that "projected universe" at the planetarium in Luneta during a school field trip. It was like coming full circle and, once again, my brother and I were marveling at galaxies, constellations, comets and other cosmic objects we loved to discuss when we were still kids.

To be continued...

• ihcahiehihcahieh Polyglot ▪ Skater ▪ Alien PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    SUX2BU, muma-Maria Adams ka na ngayon! Hahaha. Pero wow ha, salamat naman sa thread na ito, lalo pa marami sa amin di pa nakakapag South America.

Post pa! :)

PS: Maitanong ko nga pala... Aside from Mexico, what countries in Central America would let you in if you already have a US Visa?
    ihcahieh wrote: »
    SUX2BU, muma-Maria Adams ka na ngayon! Hahaha. Pero wow ha, salamat naman sa thread na ito, lalo pa marami sa amin di pa nakakapag South America.

Post pa! :)

PS: Maitanong ko nga pala... Aside from Mexico, what countries in Central America would let you in if you already have a US Visa?

"Muma-Maria Adams" talaga eh, 'no? :lol:

Hindi sila dumedepende sa US visa eh. Hehe. Pero pabagu-bago ang visa requirements. Tulad sa Nicaragua, halimbawa. Dati ay kailangan ng visa bago ka pumunta run, pero ngayon puwede na lang sa PoE.

No visa required:
    Costa Rica

Visa or tourist card on arrival (US$30-50)
    El Salvador
    Guatemala
    Nicaragua
    Honduras

Visa required
    Belize
    Panam?\

125px-Flag_of_Nicaragua.svg.png

Ometepe, Nicaragua

postcard_ometepe_0327.jpg
    Time

It was a strange but necessary day for yeses or noes, nods and shaking of heads because there was a stillness between the absence of sounds and the presence of thoughts. Nobody, no, nothing, had talked much since the ferry took us away from Rivas to Isla de Ometepe in Nicaragua.

Even before the boat trip, and the alternating jabs of silence and careful words on the Rivas bus that we took for Ometepe, certain thoughts had already been swirling in my mind: getting back to Costa Rica in the morning of Easter Sunday, writing a poem while the sun toasts at some Nicaraguan shores, gallo pinto, books to read, observing other travelers, boring places, strange places, determining routes, my impulses and complacencies, silence and strangers.

But anything, or anybody, whose careless prying interferes with civility or indifference, as the case may be, will always understand that this accidental marriage of absence and presence is necessary, and unavoidable, because there are compromises to be made and persistent thoughts to be subdued.

But if everything is silence that always pulls towards us the shapes of things needed to be understood --- like the strangeness of circumstances or thoughts that are difficult to be expressed --- where will we go while we observe things as they silently move closer to us without comprehensible reasons?

--An excerpt from "Some Bearable Strangeness", my Holy Week journey to Isla de Ometepe, Nicaragua in 2005.

Where is Ometepe?

220px-Ometepemap.png250px-NIC_orthographic.svg.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file