UPD or UPLB for Civil Engineering?

yipicayehyipicayeh Member PExer
Which is better?

Comments

• arkheMarkheM Member PExer
    ramenx2 wrote: »
    ask ArkheM, madaming alam yun!!!:confused:

Well, since you've asked for it, I'd honestly and seriously say UP Diliman -- the richer, more maintained, more prestigious, more selective, or simply, better UP between the two.

There is no school - for CE - that we can honestly say that offers better education than UP Diliman does anywhere in this country. That is my honest-to-goodness answer the the OP's question. If you disagree, you're entitled to that, so feel free to rebut my assertion.
  • asargcasargc Member PExer
    *** san sa dalwa.. impt UP// but mas accessible ang UPD. ...may mdyo conducive for learning ang uplb... i mean, less distractions sa metro life... which case to case basis naman.. discipline etc = key sa success... god bless co-isko...
  • yipicayehyipicayeh Member PExer
    One last question, alin sa dalawa ang mas-focused sa Structural? Thanks in advance.
  • arkheMarkheM Member PExer
    yipicayeh wrote: »
    One last question, alin sa dalawa ang mas-focused sa Structural? Thanks in advance.

I can't really answer that, but when you say "focus" you're probably referring to postgrad studies. The general undergrad degree in civil engineering covers all fundamental subjects including structural.
  • yipicayeh wrote: »

If we are talking here about the undergraduate degree, I can say that UPDiliman's CE program has units dedicated to structural engineering, the number of which is enough for the student to appreciate its fundamental theories. The student is also given the choice to choose a field to major in for his thesis, and this includes the subject of interest - structural. As of now, UPD ICE is awaiting the completion of its new building, which will house its very own structural engineering lab equipped with wall testing facilities and a shaking table.

I have no idea about UPLB's CE program.

You may also visit their websites to compare their respective undergrad curriculum.

UPD: ice.upd.edu.ph
    UPLB: http://ceat.uplb.edu.ph/attachments/article/88/BSCE.pdf

If you talk about the graduate programs, UPDiliman offers MS and PhD CE major in Structural Engineering.
  • fernando_hierrofernando_hierro Member ✭✭✭✭
    do not compare the flagship campus with the other regular campuses
    when you say UP, it usually means Diliman...
  • pawnonapawnona maski pawno ✭✭
    do not compare the flagship campus with the other regular campuses
    when you say UP, it usually means Diliman...

Matagal ng sikat ang UP bago pa nagka Diliman campus. Post WW2 lang ang Diliman. :)
  • johnjoseph13johnjoseph13 Member ✭✭
    Kung undergraduate lang naman, walang problema kung alin sa dalawa. So kung ako sayo TS, ilagay mo as 1st choice yung Diliman campus at LB naman as 2nd choice. Kung papasa ka sa Diliman, eh di okay. Kung hindi, LB is also a good school.

In short, problemahin mo muna kung paano ka papasa ng UPCAT bago ka mamobrelama kung alin sa 2 ang may maayos na program.:bashful::bashful:
    pawnona wrote: »
    Matagal ng sikat ang UP bago pa nagka Diliman campus. Post WW2 lang ang Diliman. :)

eh ang UPLB?
    Actually, pasado na ako sa UPCAT kaya lang eh LB. So sa tingin nyo, should I still shift to Diliman next year or should I just stay in LB?
    stay 1 year in LB. cross reg during summer class and same time process your transfer to Diliman... big difference in the 2 campus...
  • johnjoseph13johnjoseph13 Member ✭✭
    Actually, pasado na ako sa UPCAT kaya lang eh LB. So sa tingin nyo, should I still shift to Diliman next year or should I just stay in LB?
    It's your choice! But like I said, UPLB is not a bad school for CE. Just look at it's board exam passing rate record...
  • pawnonapawnona maski pawno ✭✭
    eh ang UPLB?
    1909. College of Agriculture.

Afaik. The engineering in UPLB started with Agricultural Engineering, a joint program between the UP College of Engineering and the College of Agriculture. AgEng students then take all engineering subjects at CE and agriculture subjects from CA. This was until 1972. When the Institute of AgEng and Technology (now UPLB College of Engineering and Agri Technology) was established, all engineering subjects needed for an AgEng degree were then offered in LB. AgEng students no longer go to Diliman to take engineering subjects and CE stop offering Ag engineering course. I think it was only in the late '80s that the UP Board of Regents allowed LB to offer other engineering courses.
    edi pwede ka na dyan sa LB
    Do I have the right to choose my subjects in UPD CE? They offer numerous subjects kasi.
  • When it comes to General Education subjects, CE students are given a list of courses that are recommended by the Institute to take. You are free to choose from this wide array of courses, but be careful to take into consideration several Institute requirements such as 9 units of English communication subjects, 6 Philippine Studies units, etc. You will learn more of this during your Freshmen Orientation Days.

If it comes to the General Engineering and CE major subjects, students are required to take all of them. However, every semester, the Institute offers 2 elective subjects, the topics of which vary depending on the field, example coastal engineering or introduction to structural dynamics. Students enroll in the elective of their interest. You are required to have at least two electives.
  • PolyphasePolyphase Member PExer
    UPLB CE has 14 consecutive 100% sa board exams. Just saying. lol
  • iamyourfireiamyourfire Member PExer
    Go to UPD.
    :)
  • FissionFission Member PExer

Maraming gumagawa niyan: 1 year sa LB then transfer to Diliman. Pero ang kadalasang reason ng mga galing LB ay dahil sa Metro Manila na sila nakatira originally (so pwede silang mag-uwian which is still preferred by many kaysa magdorm) and not because they think UPD ICE's program is better than LB's.

You can find UPLB's curriculum from the link below. Kasama rin sa link yung description ng courses/subjects. Hanapin mo na lang. http://www.scribd.com/doc/20514921/All-You-Need-to-Know-About-UPLB-s-College-of-Engineering-and-Agro-Industrial-Technology

Feeling ko si water_resources member ng faculty ng ICE. :P
    Andami ngang ino-offer ng UPD na focused sa Structural. Makukuha ko ba lahat yun or do I have to choose some?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file