COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

Two or three conference format?

Drahow ein EnteDrahow ein Ente twitter.com/htdee PExer
Since we've experienced both formats, anong mas OK?
Two-conference format: A long drawn-out battle where the better teams ultimately deserve the high seed but there are many non-bearing games?
Three-conference format: A quick sprint to the finish where every game counts but can cause fluke-y runs?

Comments

• Jess24Jess24 1225 PEx Expert 🎖️
    in a 3 conference format, we can still have 1 or 2 long conferences, meaning teams play double round elims and a long playoff schedule.

i actually like the sprint to the finish format because each team will have to bring 'it' every game. yun nga lang an injury here or a lemon import there hastens your elimination.
  • Drahow ein EnteDrahow ein Ente twitter.com/htdee PExer
    I'd classify a conference as "long" if the elims is double round robin. in the PH Cup, intra-inter yung format. parang 1.5-round robin. so it's neither "short" nor "long". the COM and GOV cups will all use single round robin.

of course the playoff format matters too. like how many rounds are there, if there are byes, what format (best-of-x or another round robin), etc.
  • LOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOL Weh, di nga? PEx Expert 🎖️
    two conference format. i like it better
  • angel_thegame11angel_thegame11 Alaska, Mclaren, Clippers PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Two conference format tapos 4 teams ang out after eliminations and unlimited height sa imports
  • fernando_hierrofernando_hierro Member PEx Expert 🎖️
    the best is really is 2 long conference format
    clear kasi dito ang difference, 1 is all pinoy and 1 is with import
    sa 3 conference format, we have 1 long all pinoy and 2 minis, with imports
    yung 2 minis, nagiging less prestigious ang championship kasi madalian
    ang rason lang naman sa 3 conference eh magkaroon ng grand slam, yun lang
  • Jay P. MercadoJay P. Mercado Moderator PEx Moderator
    I wasn't a fan of the rule before when only one or two teams were eliminated, the top two teams automatically make it to the semis, the 3rd and 4th placed teams are in the quarters and the 5th to 8th placed teams are in the wildcards with the 5th and 6th having a one game edge in a best of three series. I feel that this is overly extensive and was designed to reward even the non-worthy.

What I like about this conference format is that you have 4 teams getting eliminated right away in a single round robin. It keeps every team on their toes, they make immediate decisions as well like changing imports, trading players, etc. Winning every game is key and sister teams allegedly helping each other to prop their standings is discouraged.

The two-conference format is truly ideal since it features on All Filipino and one import-laced tournaments. The obvious plum, as described by LA Tenorio when he guested on AKTV last Wednesday, is the AFC crown. I have no problem seeing a long AFC tournament if only to prove who is truly the best ballclub in the land. An import-flavored tournament, on the other hand, will help attract more fans to the venue and can help the weaker teams have a shot at the title.

The remaining months should be devoted for the national team. Noli Eala had the right idea before when he drew this up in 2004-05, reserving the months of July to October for PBA players to join international meets.
  • James Ty IIIJames Ty III Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Two conference format is better for me. Any team cannot afford to relax and every game counts in such a format.
  • Jess24Jess24 1225 PEx Expert 🎖️
    Two conference format is better for me. Any team cannot afford to relax and every game counts in such a format.

thats contradictory IMO. a 2 conference format will mean a double round elim schedule and a longer Playoff structure. teams will tend to play more lackadaisical because they will preserve their players for the homestretch. thats the reason why we see a lot of boring and non-bearing matches in this schedule.
  • angel_thegame11angel_thegame11 Alaska, Mclaren, Clippers PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Jess24 wrote: »
    thats contradictory IMO. a 2 conference format will mean a double round elim schedule and a longer Playoff structure. teams will tend to play more lackadaisical because they will preserve their players for the homestretch. thats the reason why we see a lot of boring and non-bearing matches in this schedule.

kung parang ngayong conference na 4 ang maeliminated at the end of eliminations, di na magiging boring at non bearing ang mga laban.
  • SamboyLim9SamboyLim9 Best Player In the Game PExer
    Two Conference Format. All Filipino Conference and Unlimited Height Import Conference. Para naman meron chance na mag train yung mga players sa National team during the off season. Saka sana magkaroon ulit ng Manila Invitational Tournament.
  • 2 conferences, all pinoy and unlimited height import...

saka para meron naman time mag recover and rest mga players, grabe din ang season ng PBA when it still has 3 conferences halos buong year and season...kaya marami laging meron injuries eh...parang NBA dapat at least 3-4 months pahinga
  • YoonJay18YoonJay18 Thomasian PExer
    A more defined 2-conference format for me. Because IMO, 2 import-laden conference in 1 season is too much.

Longer Philippine Cup, shorter Reinforced Conference. Retain the format for both conferences and just devote the remaining months for the national team.
  • James Ty IIIJames Ty III Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Jess24 wrote: »

Sorry, I meant THREE conference format with TWO short conferences.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file