COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

The Hunger Games MOVIE REVIEWS

CaRaMBaCaRaMBa Administrator PEx Moderator
Since the main thread is very busy with premiere updates, movie guides, teasers, etc., we started this thread for the reviews alone. Please post your reviews, thoughts, reactions on the movie here.

Thanks!

Comments

• PEx_MoviesPEx_Movies Administrator PEx Admin
  • dSwiftyy13dSwiftyy13 sweeter than fiction ☆ PExer
    Excited to watch this movie tomorrow!
  • CaRaMBaCaRaMBa Administrator PEx Moderator
    BLOODY. EFFING. BRILLIANT.

Awesome.

Details later, need to get over the epicness of it all.
  • CruzeCruze Member PExer
    The Movie was great. It was really worth watching, magaling yung direktor, cant wait for the next one. my rating , 9/10 =)
  • Mitch_A16Mitch_A16 Member PExer
    awesome movie!!

11/10
  • stebBiestebBie Member PExer
    10/10 *okay*

as a fan of the book, i'd say na im very satisfied with the outcome :)
    although there were some changes sa movie may mga nadagdag may nawala, mapa-lines or scenes man, in the end maganda pa din ang kinalabasan. and id say that the film captured the essence of the book.
    yung mga main and important parts were shown naman. next time na ako magpost ng additional details, i need time to absorb it all..:lol:
    As a fan of the series, especially the first book which for me is the best of the three, I was absolutely happy with the movie. It was (almost) perfect. I am absolutely amazed that they were able to come up with a QUALITY movie, one that you can really be proud of. It feels like this will easily be a classic.

I LOVE the treatment of the scene with the bread. It was BRILLIANT. That's all I'm going to say about that.

The score (music) was PERFECT. It really helped in making you feel more - excited, sad, touched, happy...

The actors were PERFECT. All of them. And although I was worried about Peeta, in the end, Josh Hutcherson turned out to be a really good Peeta. I would have wanted someone taller, someone more awkward and lovable, because that was how I pictured him while reading the book, but Josh did well. Liam Hemsworth is the perfect Gale. He had a few scenes, not surprisingly, but he was very effective. Cinna, Haymitch, Seneca Crane, President Snow - all great. The tributes were all perfect tributes, especially Rue. She was PERFECT. Primrose, the mother, yes. If I had to choose the weakest of them all, it would be Elizabeth Banks as Effie Trinket - but I don't think it's her fault. I think it was how Effie was written.
    You really only feel her presence during the Reaping, and that's about it.

The cinematography was so good! There is an indie feel to it, especially the scenes in the district. They felt so real. The violence was treated with much respect - though it was there, they held back, but in such a way that it was still gritty and it still affects you. I think that's pretty hard to do. I wasn't too fond of the camera shake, which makes it more 'real' - I really am just not a fan of the technique.

My second complaint, aside from the camera shake,
    is that the love story between Peeta and Katniss felt rushed. I think the feeling will probably be stronger if I didn't read the book. I wish they had longer or more scenes in the cave. Their story is important in the book, and I thought they were not able to translate it to the big screen as well as I hoped. But don't get me wrong, it was great seeing them together on screen. And surprisingly, it worked. Honestly, I thought the Gale+Katniss chemistry was better than Peeta+Katniss at first, but, the latter grew on me. And I have only high hopes for the second and third movie.

The movie was long, but you will not feel it. In fact, I wanted more! The latter part of the movie felt a bit rushed, when I looked back. I didn't feel it that much while watching, but afterwards, I really wanted more.

All in all, even with those small complaints, I thought the movie was AWESOME. I give it a 9/10.

Ladies, bring tissue. That scene, yes, THAT scene will GUT YOU. Ugly cry I tell ya!
  • pexer26pexer26 Member PExer
    My views: (Major spoiler alert. you have been warned)

[CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]

WEAK POINTS

The movie was made for the people who read the book. If you didn't read the book, you will be effin' clueless.

or

The director is effin' stupeeed who got lost on how awesome the book is, he forgot to explain it to the fresh viewers.

The movie is awesome but those who had no fcking clue about the hunger games itself will be lost to the point that they will no longer care about watching. (I heard somebody from the toilet that he didn't understand the whole movie.) It's the director's fault here definitely.

The Hunger Games explanation on the first part of the movie --- WEAK. Just some text hovering on the screen. ARE YOU FCKING KIDDING ME? Eh di sana nagbasa na lang ako sa sinehan.

Just what I expected, I didn't get any KILIG moments with JLaw and JHutch. I mean, they're like siblings. Incest. eugh. I got more kilig moments with Cinna and Katniss. I swear.

The death scenes - it was a disappointment. I expected blood and gore but it was toned down that It wasn't exciting anymore to see. Glimmer's death in the book is her corpse bloated with Tracker Jacker stings while in the movie, her corpse looked like she died of ODing in Coccaine. Didn't see Cato's corpse. too dark.

And Rue's death scene! Why didn't you made it more dramatic? It was like the sky is turning pink and violet when she died, but it wasn't like that in the movie. I didn't feel anything when she was speared. It's like... okay. and the flowers... it just haven't got the same amount of emotions that there is in the book. The Mockingjays should've repeated what Katniss sung while Rue is dying.

The overall feel in the Arena. It's just bland. There is a point right there in the movie where I felt like it was a joke. The careers are like a bunch of stupeeed high school teenagers who picks on Katniss. Like anubeh! papatayin niyo ba si Katniss or aasarin niyo lang? Just the overall feel in the arena. Kulang pa yung fight scene --- WEAK talaga.

Some memorable dialogues in the book are not included. I mean... those lines why?!!!

STRONG POINTS

The world of Panem especially the Capitol. It was just balls-deep amazing. I don't have a word to describe it. Everyone was like Lady Gaga and their lifestyle, the buildings, the luxury stuffs that they had, it was aweeesooommmee!!!

Tributes parade: OMG. I cried on how awesome the fire on D12 Tributes are. Upon seeing Cato and the others for the first time too. I love eeeeet!!! Fire Chariots of D12 FTW!!!

Breath-taking fight scene of Clove and Katniss. I mean, The Orphan girl is my favorite. Knife is more badass than Bow and Arrow.

The game maker's iTable (or whatever that is called LOL). It's so amazing how the game makers are manipulating things in the Arena.

The mutts scene is breath taking too.

Effie. I fcking love Effie Trinket. "It's Mahogany!" :rotflmao:

I'd give it a 7/10

but because I'm a fan and I wanted everybody to see it, i'd give it a final rating of 8/10.*okay*

Team Clove! :grrr:

[/CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]
  • Narnian_KingNarnian_King Member PExer
    10/10 perfection *okay*

More more more!!! please
  • PrinsesaHailiePrinsesaHailie Member PExer
    I give it a 9/10

And oh, please drop by my full review on my blog. :)

The Hunger Games: A Movie Review
  • pinkpowerrangerpinkpowerranger Team PEETA PExer
    Well, the movie had me at “Welcome, welcome, welcome.” Hahaha. I just don’t even know what to start, well I guess the I’ll just go with whatever my mind gives me, so here it is:

I got dizzy on some parts of the movie especially when Katniss was running away from the fire. It felt like I was watching Blair Witch project. What else? I read the other reviews but I think I understand why there isn’t too much blood and gore in the killings in the arena. Maybe because it’s a PG 13 and kids would watch it, well just maybe.

I had kilig Pee-Niss (LOL) moments but I expected more but its fine with me. I just hope there will be more in Catching Fire.

I think the casting was great. Every part was played right on! (Except for Josh’s height) JLaw was always great in her movies, she really is a good actress. I often read about their reservation on Josh playing Peeta but I never had a doubt on that boys acting prowess. I have seen him since he was only 10 and I know he can act. And I proved myself right, he is a good Peeta. Sweet, adorable and charming. Gale? Well Liam is hot I couldn’t agree more  There’s nothing much to review about him because he had a short part in the film. Haymitch! I loved him. Annoying but I can see his concern for Katniss. Thumbs up to Woody Harrelson. Effie was so cute, made me laugh a couple of time in the movie. To cut this short, everyone was perfect Cinna, Prim, President Snow and Ceasar. They were awesome. I didn’t feel Katniss’ three stylist though :(

The tributes although having short parts were good especially Clove, Cato, Tresh, Foxface and Rue. I just think they should have elaborated on Cato more in the battle in Cornucopia, I didn’t understand some of the words he said.

I expected more when they were in the train. I swear I would’ve loved it if they had shown the Katniss and Peeta moments there. Oh well.

Over all, I give a 9/10. And I can’t wait for Catching Fire in 2013! *okay*
  • strandedstrangerstrandedstranger Gab Scardragon PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Lemme tell you this, even if you are a book purist, you'll still come to love this adaptation.

9/10 - I'll post my review later. The wait was worth it.
  • KopiteKopite last.fm/user/bruno_borat PExer
    pexer26 wrote: »
    My views: (Major spoiler alert. you have been warned)
    [CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]

WEAK POINTS

The movie was made for the people who read the book. If you didn't read the book, you will be effin' clueless.
    [/CROUCHING-TIGER-DISAPPEARING-SPOILER]
    Amen!:)

10/10
    bitin!
  • 7deadlyjeans7deadlyjeans Member PExer
    This movie is incredible! I haven't actually read any of the books, but based on what I've seen from the advanced screening at MOA last night, this movie is EPIC!

Katniss is such a strong female lead, something that you don't see much in movies nowadays (:vomit: Bella Swan :vomit:). Gale is just so hawt! For someone who supposedly grew up in the poorest district of all, why does he look so clean and fierce all the time? :lol:

Costumes were amazing! All those quirky hats shamed the Royal Wedding...the movie will not wow you with visual effects, but the story telling and the sheer character building will.

Fave scene:
    Rue's death
    . Effin' destroyed me. :mecry:

Can't wait for the next one!
  • icolicol Neophyte's serendipity PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I enjoyed it a lot! Not perfect, but no dull moments actually. Solved na solved! :)

All in all, this was an effective visual version of an action packed literary piece. It might seem too fast-paced especially for those who have read the book; nevertheless, it was successful in capturing what the novel was about. For that alone, I give this two thumbs up, as it molds another craze that is here to stay. The Hunger Games have officially begun, and we’re now witnesses as how it will transcend in the long run.

Grade: A-

Longer review here
  • lulu_bellalulu_bella Member PExer
    We all know how movie adaptation of books ends up. Most of the times it disappoints you and some times it just makes you happy and The Hunger Games movie is one of the adaptation that really made me happy and cry (as in ugly cry)! There maybe some strong points from the book that's missing but don't worry, the actors and the scenes really covered this! Here are what I love about the movie:
    1) How they portrayed District 12
    2) How the actors played their parts. Pres. Snow did terrify me.
    3) How they were able to put fragments of the back stories of the lead characters.
    4) That scene that made me cry...as in sobbing in the movie house!

It's almost how I imagine the book while I was reading it :)
    I give it a 9/10

And oh, please drop by my full review on my blog. :)

The Hunger Games: A Movie Review

Why did you give it a 9/10? Hope you can post snippets of your review here as well. We're here for discussions, not blog promotion. :)
  • icolicol Neophyte's serendipity PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Lemme tell you this, even if you are a book purist, you'll still come to love this adaptation.

9/10 - I'll post my review later. The wait was worth it.

Agree ako dito. The movie was faithful to the book in the sense na despite may mga nabago, hindi naman nya niligaw yung actual direction nung movie. Inadjust nya lang for visual purposes.

I really enjoyed this one, and feeling ko manonood ulit ako next week. hehe. *okay*
  • rej_miller18rej_miller18 Ants in my pants! PExer
    The camera work had too much movement for me and I didn't find the chemistry of Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson quite believable. Other than these, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

It's a 9/10 for me.
  • tripkoyantripkoyan Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    icol wrote: »
    Agree ako dito. The movie was faithful to the book in the sense na despite may mga nabago, hindi naman nya niligaw yung actual direction nung movie. Inadjust nya lang for visual purposes.

I really enjoyed this one, and feeling ko manonood ulit ako next week. hehe. *okay*

Mahirap naman kasi talaga gawing movie yung book version as is because the book is based on the narrative of Katniss. The reason I'm excited to watch the movie was to see the Hunger Games outside of Katniss' mind.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file