COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

Import Selection Process Discussion Thread

commonercommoner Honorary Member PEx Expert 🎖️
Let's talk about the selection process made by teams in choosing their imports.

Napansin ko lang, majority of the imports are somewhat old and almost all are journeymen. Wala bang matinong big man na nasa NBA D-League? Or salary yung problema? How much is the maximum an import can get? Per game basis ba ang payment? Imports get cut after 2-3 games; pano ang salary nila?

Why is Barako fond of NBA draft busts? White and Johnson parehas galing Denver; parehas bust sa NBA.

Hanggang ngayon wala pa ring big man import from Europe. Why is that? Euro big men can change the game with their outside shooting.

Despite the impact of Sam Ekwe, wala pa ring African import sa PBA in the mold of a DJ Mbenga, Serge Ibaka or Desagana Diop. African players are big, strong and great shotblockers.

Comments

• Jess24Jess24 1225 PEx Expert 🎖️
    i think with the no restriction on the import height, mahirap talaga kumuha ng top caliber big man. even in a league like the NBA where the best basketball players supposedly play, you can count by your fingers kung sino ang magagaling ng center/PF. so the pool is really limited. kung mga guard or forward siguro, marami.

about the european and african guys, i also have the same thought, though im speculating na kaya siguro walang imports from these countries ay dahil a) walang masyadong scouting. b)there's probably little interest to play overseas and c) baka mas mahal (in reference to European players).
  • kiraoftheskieskiraoftheskies Two-Time Rookie of the Year PExer
    Lack of quality in the big man pool is the main reason, as what Jess24 implied. Many bigs from the collegiate ranks lack the attributes needed to last in a NBA-caliber game.

Most African players (adding Bobcats' Bismack Biyombo to your list) only have raw physical talent and are very unpolished/unproven. I think it's one reason why teams do not prefer to gamble on such players.

Even though Petron's Nick Fazekas hasn't played Euro hoops, his game is reminiscent of a prototypical Euro big man. It may spark an interest in getting similar players in the future.
  • color_s_Kaboinkcolor_s_Kaboink panda is going to eat you PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    di ba si julius nwosu african import?
  • ninkupogininkupogi Member PExer
    Hi po,comment *** ako **. Interms of salary my Cap p rin for imports and if I remember it right it is still $20k per month plus perks nila per game. Kaya di msyado impressive mga imports nanakukuha ng mga team because of this.pero still to win a championship, a team needs to shell out more money to encourage the imports to play here. As for the Euro players I believe sabay ng conerence natin kaya konti *** imports na nakukuha.
  • myas110myas110 2012 NBA Champs-Miami Heat PExer
    yung salary din kasi ang factor. unless kung ikaw ay si MVP or taga SMC ay magbabayad ng "extra" aside from the basic salary.

african imports? tama si kiraoftheskies, mukhang raw ang talent ng africans unlike american or european imports.

unless talagang maglalabas ka talaga ng milyones sa isang, let's say a bench player sa isang NBA team or even a star player.
  • swaggerboxswaggerbox Member PExer
    you need to buy out players in the Dleague (buyout amount ranges from $35,000 to $45,000) that is why teams are searching for imports that are currently "free agent".

http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/nba-vets-to-reinforce-rain-or-shine-meralco-in-commissioners-cup

Salaries are I think limited to $14,000 per mo.

http://www.newsflash.org/2003/01/sp/sp002484.htm
  • commonercommoner Honorary Member PEx Expert 🎖️
    Kahit raw talent lang mga Africans, their sheer heft and athleticism should be enough to be dominant in the PBA where "big" men are not really big. Diba?

Hindi rin problem ang language kasi maraming English-speaking countries sa Africa.

Alam ko hirap na hirap ang dating Team Pilipinas sa NT ng Angola.
  • myas110myas110 2012 NBA Champs-Miami Heat PExer
    commoner wrote: »
    Kahit raw talent lang mga Africans, their sheer heft and athleticism should be enough to be dominant in the PBA where "big" men are not really big. Diba?

Hindi rin problem ang language kasi maraming English-speaking countries sa Africa.

Alam ko hirap na hirap ang dating Team Pilipinas sa NT ng Angola.

Angola yata ang dominant NT ng Africa, I guess.
  • jsonmilesjsonmiles Member PEx Guru 🎖️🎖️
    Speaking of Africa tunisia dethrones Angola as African champs last year their best big man can be a solid import for PBA teams. Panot nga lang iyon:D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file