APPLYING FOR A 2ND DEGREE- UP Diliman

Hi Forumers! I'm planning to apply for a new degree in UP diliman this coming school year.(BA european Languages). but i have this doubt that I may not get through it cause of my less-competitive average (compare to other applicants).my GWA is just 1.78. summing all the grades from all my academic units.
I'm a degree holder of industrial and organizational psychology from PUP-manila, anyway.
just need your advises on this. thanks.

Comments

• kelunjikelunji Member ✭✭✭
    Why not just go for a Master's? More flexible times pa (I assume you are already working).
  • i had some plans like that before but i feel that there's no more of this "psychology" thing on me. mas gusto ko talagang kunin tong euro.lang. na'to ever since. madali lang ba makapasok?
    It doesn't have to be a master's in psychology. I mean instead of BA EL, why not take the "MA in EL"? I have friends who are taking MS in Civil Engg and they are not civil engineers, nor engineers to begin with. It will be more convenient and cheaper for you, since you don't have to take and pay for all the undergrad subjects and you don't have to spend all 4 years in school again. Plus classes will be either in the evening, or weekends.
  • chokeonmyswagchokeonmyswag Member PExer
    really? does UP offer that? but that wouldn't be so difficult in my part to adjust since i have no background or idea (even a single thing) about euro.languages?
    You'll probably be required to attend a few undergrad subjects for a semester or 2 to level-up, but its certainly better than having to study 4 years. May kaklase kasi ako noon, BA Geography graduate siya noong 1991, then she decided to take up BS Geology again in 1995, graduating in 1999. In retrospect she said that it would have been better, easier not to mention cheaper if she had just taken an MS in Geology.
  • chokeonmyswagchokeonmyswag Member PExer
    would the teaching and learning be the same? i mean, same thing that u'll get when you enrolled for a 4-year stay in undergrad.? baka kasi pag nag-MA ako, it'll take 20 years just to have that diploma. and a year in undergrad. isn't enough for u to learn the basics, i think. anyway, whats the required GWA limit po ba for european languages? kasi i heard that some colleges' departments in UP require higher average than 2.0.
  • Line_XLine_X Urban Guerilla PExer
    Can i still study Architecture in UP even if I already graduated Civil Engineering 9 yrs ago? :)
  • biyahengharayabiyahengharaya lost in translation PExer
    would the teaching and learning be the same? i mean, same thing that u'll get when you enrolled for a 4-year stay in undergrad.? baka kasi pag nag-MA ako, it'll take 20 years just to have that diploma. and a year in undergrad. isn't enough for u to learn the basics, i think. anyway, whats the required GWA limit po ba for european languages? kasi i heard that some colleges' departments in UP require higher average than 2.0.

i heard from my friend na nag-inquire about MA in EL na kelangan proficient ka na sa language you'll be taking masters in. so ang ginagawa niya is taking up extramural classes. as for BA EL, around 2.0 nga ata ang required GWA but not so sure. usually, 2nd degree applications (for 2 years running now) are from april 1-30.
  • jheyemjheyem Member PExer
    i heard from my friend na nag-inquire about MA in EL na kelangan proficient ka na sa language you'll be taking masters in. so ang ginagawa niya is taking up extramural classes. as for BA EL, around 2.0 nga ata ang required GWA but not so sure. usually, 2nd degree applications (for 2 years running now) are from april 1-30.

hello. i am a graduate of computer science but i was planning to get a second degree in UP. gusto ko magtake ng BA EL pero upon reading the thread, parang mas ok mag-masters. ok *** b yun **** supeeeeeeeeeeeeerr layo ng course ko sa gusto kong kunin n masters.
    TIA! :)
  • rinrin25rinrin25 Member PExer
    Kung mag-aapply for second degree, yung requirements na hihingin ay similar at process ay tulad ng sa shiftees and transferees, right?
    Tsaka kapag galing sa other UP units, credited na rin yung mga GE and PE subjects, 'di ba? Maliban na lang kung may kailangan dun sa 2nd course na required subjects na hindi mo pa na-take.
    Gusto ko kasi na mag-aral ng 2nd degree sa ibang campus eh.
  • RougePercerRougePercer VFR | IFR | WP8 | RIM PExer
    jheyem wrote: »
    hello. i am a graduate of computer science but i was planning to get a second degree in UP. gusto ko magtake ng BA EL pero upon reading the thread, parang mas ok mag-masters. ok *** b yun **** supeeeeeeeeeeeeerr layo ng course ko sa gusto kong kunin n masters.
    TIA! :)

Hey, pareho tayo. I'll be graduating next year, I.T naman. Gusto ko kumuha ng MBA sa UP since malapit lang sa bahay, kaso baka hindi payagan kasi ang layo ng undergrad sa gustong master's na kukunin? Aside from that, had several business courses in my BSIT program.
  • gs09gs09 Member ✭✭✭✭
    It's very likely that you will need work experience first before getting admitted to the MBA program.
    gs09 wrote: »
    It's very likely that you will need work experience first before getting admitted to the MBA program.

How long is this work experience we are talking here? Min of 3 years perhaps?
    Hey, pareho tayo. I'll be graduating next year, I.T naman. Gusto ko kumuha ng MBA sa UP since malapit lang sa bahay, kaso baka hindi payagan kasi ang layo ng undergrad sa gustong master's na kukunin? Aside from that, had several business courses in my BSIT program.

Try mo pa rin mag-apply. Wala naman mawawala.
  • gs09gs09 Member ✭✭✭✭

Try mo na lang din mag-inquire since open na ang application but a lot of business schools require/prefer applicants with at least 2 to 3 years of work experience.
    ^ kelunji and gs09, thanks. Sige mag-inquire ako.
  • IamjovanIamjovan Member PExer
    Kailangan ba mag-upcat pag kukuha ng 2nd degree?
  • gs09gs09 Member ✭✭✭✭
    You cannot take the UPCAT if you've already received college units.
  • Yosef818Yosef818 Member PExer
    Hi, anyone here who has taken and passed the up open u general admission test for masters in public management?
  • Wolf13Wolf13 Member PExer
    Hi, I'm a graduate of Computer Science and I'm planning to take Masters in Computer Science at UP. may required GWA po ba para mag take ng MS Computer Science sa UP? lets just say my GWA is 2.2 :-( or do i need to take diploma at 2nd degree to be able to apply for masters degree.??

Thanks

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file