Questions on Planet of the Apes (Spoiler Warning)

bughawbughaw Senior Member PExer
I watched Planet of the Apes last weekend...

I thought it was a better movie than expected (since I didn't really expect much from monkeys...), but there are a few lingering questions in my mind...

1) What was the deal with the ending? I have no problem with it... I actually thought it was wickedly cool... but what was the logic to it? If the Apes in the planet of the apes evolved but were limited... how come the Earth apes were up there technology-wise? Of course there is always the backdoor escape saying that with the complexities of time travel, anything is possible... but just in case anyone has a crisply distinct answer, I'm all ears.

2) Where did the horses come from? I understand that the two main species in the planet evolved and propagated from the crew of the starship that crashed... but the horses? Were there horses in the ship too? Did the horses evolve from bacteria? If so, why weren't there any dogs or other animals?

3) If humans outnumbered apes 4 to 1... how come the knowledge that humans once ruled apes was never passed on through humans, while it was through apes?

4) Why did the apes worship Semos (Leo's monkey, who really wasn't Semos)... when the aid of Ari clearly said that monkeys were lower than apes? He said monkeys were "just above humans".

5) [a simpler question] How did the thousands of humans hear of Leo Davidson, the one who defies the apes? Okay... maybe news spread through rumors... but how did they know where they were heading?

These are the things I'm wondering about. I still think it's a good movie. I thought the "Calima" thing was cool! :)

Comments

• YoshiYoshi Member PExer
    Very good questions. Also very good examples of how bad the storyline was written.

My answers, as I understood the movie.

1. Yup, it has something to do with parallel unverses and stuff like that. If you watched Sliders (the TV show with Jerry O'Connell), you'd learn that when you travel through a wormhole, a lot of parallel universes exist and the one you may enter will most probably be not where you intend to go.

2. The horse is probably native to the planet. :D This is a loophole I let pass.

3. This is one of the biggest loopholes of the story. As I understood it, the whole crew dies. I don't know if they propagated, but if they did before they died, then probably the babies/children took to the forest to grow up there, jungle style.

4. Another big loophole. Maybe because the legend stated that Semos would come from the sky. I mean, think of the Bible in ape terms. Apes were created in the likeness of Semos, and since it was a monkey who fell from the sky, it's probably Semos. If God were to come down here right now, would we really know how He looked like?

5. Because the apes knew where they were going, and since the apes had humans in their employ, they probably spread the word? Or maybe because there were sentries all around the forest who followed the group to Calima? I don't know.
  • yakultyakult ok ka ba tiyan? PExer
    My brother and I discussed the movie while we were watching it and surmised that the Semos that the apes were worshipping was the son of Pericles(the ape that was in the pod that was lost in space). If you remember, before Pericles was launched on his mission into the Electromagnetic Storm, his wife was in the cage and was carrying his child. So we figured that she gave birth when they crashed into the Planet of the Apes and the son was Semos, the ape who showed superior intellect (according to the crew's log) and who eventually became the predecessor of the Apes on that planet. Thus when Pericles cam back at the end of the film, he probably looked a lot like his son, thus the Apes figured that it was Semos, since he was supposed to have a 'second coming'.

:socool:
  • bughawbughaw Senior Member PExer
    Originally posted by yakult
    My brother and I discussed the movie while we were watching it and surmised that the Semos that the apes were worshipping was the son of Pericles(the ape that was in the pod that was lost in space). If you remember, before Pericles was launched on his mission into the Electromagnetic Storm, his wife was in the cage and was carrying his child. So we figured that she gave birth when they crashed into the Planet of the Apes and the son was Semos, the ape who showed superior intellect (according to the crew's log) and who eventually became the predecessor of the Apes on that planet. Thus when Pericles cam back at the end of the film, he probably looked a lot like his son, thus the Apes figured that it was Semos, since he was supposed to have a 'second coming'.

:socool:

Thanks for your insights... that thing about Pericles being the dad of Semos didn't really register to me during the movie... However, I don't think bloodlines had to do with how the apes worshipped "Semos" or Pericles as you have put it... I think Yoshi's point comes closest... the mere fact that he came from the sky was such a big thing for them... and given that all monkeys (at least in their primal stage) basically looked alike, it was easy to mistake him as Semos...

However, still... my point remains, in a somewhat different form... if the apes had a basic idea of Semos... (and monkey-like as the pictures in their altars show...) then why look down on apes at the first place?

Yoshi: I think I may be over-analyzing... but if the crew died before they could teach their children about the truth... how come the humans still all spoke English? Well... it could be that the apes (who acquired English from the crew) taught them... but then would the apes actually do that?

I'm slowly realizing that movie-making isn't that easy... especially when you're a little high-risk and complicated. I think a lot of these loopholes were simply mistakes... and all explanations (even from the producers) would be rationalizing... they really didn't foresee it.

Peace.

P.S.
    I actually thought the ending could have made a lot of sense if Leo's ship didn't actually show the year (going back in time). Instead he could have gone into the future. It could have resulted to an ending much like the old one's... that the Earth was the planet of the Apes he left... Maybe Thade was able to get out of the ship some way... plus, he had a gun... he could have killed Attar... the humans could have easily been wiped out... and given a lot of years into the future... the Apes could have evolved even more and had a greater grasp of technology.

Nah...
  • pinkmoonpinkmoon parker poser PExer
    There were obviously a lot of loopholes Burton and crew let slide because they knew everyone was going to be focused on the effects, set design and action sequences and concentrated their efforts thusly. After seeing it I began to raise a lot of questions but my husband said it was kind of pointless debating all the vague points so we just let it be.

Bear in mind that they shot about 5 different endings for the movie and supposedly slapped that one on at the last minute. I realize that it is a common practice to film a few ending variations and attach the most appropriate one as the post-filming process of editing helps the director and producers fully realize the storyline. This practice however, as applied to Planet of the Apes (and many blockbuster type movies out there) tends to suggest, at least to me, a haphazard and lazy attitude towards the realization of the work as a whole. Perhaps they were looking for the ending that would solicit the most controversy, and conveniently leave room for a sequel, and in that respect they have succeeded. As for selecting an ending that would round out the story nicely and allow the work to stand on its own, well, I'd have to say Burton sorely failed at that.

The one thing that bugged me the most about the ending was the neat and tidy way Leo's space capsule landed at the foot of the memorial and the way he popped out so quick and neatly. From my vantage point, he went from rocketing off the first planet, shooting through the wormhole and crash landing neatly and squarely onto the second planet and pop out of the capsule, all in the span of about 40 seconds. I know my senses are more than used to the fast-paced music-video style editing applied to most movies today but I thought, what was the deal with that???
  • *keyah**keyah* On My Side Still PExer
    Yup - I watched it last night with my dormmates. And there were a lot of loopholes nga that left us wondering.

:confused:
  • grimlockgrimlock girl magnet PExer
    hey guys! i kinda missed out on what the text says above the "supposed" abraham lincoln statue? and who was the statue supposed to be anyway? missed that one. i didn't know the name of the apes eh. could you please give light. also, who was who(the apes)? ex. what is the name of the ape helena bonham carter play, etc.? thanks! :)

my thoughts:
    1) i felt this was really a creepy ending. as pinkmoon said, that gave way for a sequel, hehe. but for me, the idea is this.

what the apes only have against humans are their strength. they don't have the science. man has the capability to learn, increase in knowledge and become more dangerous (as shown by the possession of the gun by capt. davidson). now put it this way: what if the apes got our technology? and be able to think on their own. they would be very hard to beat. for me, that was what the ending was all about!!! :cool:

anyway, i think tim burton's depiction of "planet of the apes" was really cool. follows the footsteps of edward scissorhands and legend of sleepy hollow. there are loopholes on the story and a little kinda predictable (i knew from the start the Pericles would come back alive), but the whole cinematography was great. rocks dude! ;)
  • ProkorpyoProkorpyo Member ✭✭✭
    There were indeed liberties taken in making the movie. The way I see it, the only real survivors from the spaceship were Davidson’s wards, the chimpanzees. So it’s from them where both the apes and the humans evolved (thus the basis of the philosophy of the equality between the two), although it is very unlikely that any major evolutionary step can occur in a few hundred (thousand ?) of years Davidson jumped time.

Davidson might have arrived during the point in evolution when humans just branched out and when because of their superior strength the apes are the dominant specie. Pericles (Leo’s “monkey”) is a chimp and chimpanzees are not monkeys but apes (just like humans). It is Leo who is having trouble with definition. The apes recognize that Pericles is an ape and the fact that he came from heaven made his arrival as the second coming of Semos. :D
  • Bhodi LiBhodi Li Drunken Little Lecher! PExer
    I have just seen the movie and i thought the ending sucked! It was obvious that they were just going for an ending similar to the first movie in the process they made mincemeat out of the well thought out explanation for the planet's apes.
    First of all, they had already established that the planet wasn't earth (as in the first movie) why did Leo's earth have highly evolved apes too? Don't give that crap about parallel universes because they had already established a plausible time travel explanation for the existence of intelligent apes. They messed it all up to give us a statue at the end.
    Regarding the horses i think it was more of a logistical problem. They already have a bunch of stuntmen in ape makeup, adding an unknown quadruped which could be ridden would have escalated the movie's cost.
    I have a question though: If the space station carried a bunch of chimps, how come the planet had a wide variety of apes , from gorillas to orangutans?
  • druggydruggy LAH PExer
    the ending, imho, was just a convenient sent-up for a sequel. i mean if the original spawned four of them who's to say tim burton isnt going for at least one.

what i find amusing is the fact that leo davidson (wahlberg) is apparently unable to land a spaceship properly. i mean, even pericles eventually does it much better than he does and with much less effort. no wonder his captain didn't let him fly out in the pod at the start of the movie - he was a totally inept pilot ^_^
    Just read earlier that Burton has vehemently denied any plans for a sequel.

By the way have you all seen the comic book image that director Kevin Smith is accusing Tim Burton of basing the ending on? They're currrently bickering childishly over the whole matter, hehehe.
  • Rascha_DRascha_D Citizen of Sanctuary PExer
    1. Leo was just DREAMING that he landed on Washington DC.

2. Horses are natives of the planet EARTH. The Planet of the Apes actually is EARTH.

3. Humans became savages and all records were lost about humans being the first to rule. Apes passed the information selectively down through generations to prevent the humans from ruling the planet again.

4. The original Semos was considered as a Messiah for the apes. The ape who is considered as Leo's ape is actually Perciles. The apes thought that he was the second coming of the ape messiah.

5. Remember, they just heard about him through rumors, so maybe they just followed what the rumor said where he would go.

Actually, all my answers here are based on a timeline I read from the Internet which inter-connects all the Planet of the Apes movies, series, etc. I couldn't attach the file kasi PDF sya at ayaw tanggapin ng Pex. :)
  • NoisyCricketNoisyCricket Filipino! PExer
    Ok. Even assuming The Planet of the Apes is Earth, how the HELL do CHIMPS (not having evolved yet into the apes), manage to take over the whole damn planet filled with humans????
  • cool_jlcool_jl Member ✭✭
    sino sa inyo nakakaalam kung saan makakarent ng planet of the apes(the original one)? i've seen tim burton's pero, many people who've seen the first one is saying that Tim burton's version has totally lost the point/essence of the film, at mas maganda din daw yung ending nung first?
  • grimlockgrimlock girl magnet PExer
    i still maintain that i loved the ending! i loved it because of the idea presented that comes into this equation:

ape's strength + technology

=domination of apes

about the ending, it's really about some relativity physics that you have to consider about the electromagnetic storm that leo's pod has to pass to (very much on fantasy side at that :D). there's some little space-time distortion that you have to consider for the plot (a little tricky, pure imaginary stuff that you call loophole. hehe. :p but it is really hard to buy, you know!!!) so the ending could be really considered to be credible.

about the wide variety of apes, i could explain to you a lot of evolution theories, but all in all, let's just say that it some creativity that is hard to explain for the writers. :)
  • Rascha_DRascha_D Citizen of Sanctuary PExer
    Originally posted by Noisy Cricket
    Ok. Even assuming The Planet of the Apes is Earth, how the HELL do CHIMPS (not having evolved yet into the apes), manage to take over the whole damn planet filled with humans????

This is based on the earlier movies and tv series for Planet of the Apes.

What happened was that sometime during the late 20th century, Earth was sending space probes into this electromagnetic field. During that time, a spaceship crashed on the earth containing a poisonous chemical that eventually killed of all pets (cats, dogs, etc). The government started to tell people to use monkeys, chimps, etc as pets and as household slaves. What people did not notice was that during that time, chimps started to grow as large as humansa nd began to think for themselves. Now the Earth started a nuclear war wherein most of the human population was killed. :)

If you want, I could send you a file wherein you can see the whole timeline of the Planet of the Apes including the old movies, tv series, etc. :)
  • kingking WWW.EUREKA.PH PExer
    isa lang talaga tanong ko, kung gusto nila tumakas e bakit pa sila dumadaan sa rooms ng bawat major character sa movie? weirdo! ang ingay pa nila!

i want to say TIM ROTH did a very fine job as THADE! he looks wimpy in person, but damn ang galing niya!

most of all, the foreplay between the two apes were by far the grossessssssss thing ive ever seen in a movie!
  • NoisyCricketNoisyCricket Filipino! PExer
    Originally posted by Rascha_D
    If you want, I could send you a file wherein you can see the whole timeline of the Planet of the Apes including the old movies, tv series, etc. :)
    Thanks, it's okay :)

For those of you who don't like the ending:

Imagine nalang that it ended happily, and Marky Mark made it back to the real earth safe and sound.. CORNY di ba?

Parang Crouching Tiger na nagkatuluyan sina Chow Yun Fat at Michelle Yeoh... (well... actually sayang talaga yon!) :lol:
  • blogratblograt dyunkie PExer
    Originally posted by bughaw
    1) What was the deal with the ending?

Last night I was watching Leno & Kevin Smith was there. They talked about his "feud" with Tim Burton (director of APES). The feud started when he pointed out that the "Abe Lincoln" ending was the same interestingly similar to a comic book he wrote. We don't know if it was a rip-off, but I thought you'd be interested.

FYI, I'm a Kevin Smith (aka Silent Bob) fan
    Originally posted by blograt

Last night I was watching Leno & Kevin Smith was there. They talked about his "feud" with Tim Burton (director of APES). The feud started when he pointed out that the "Abe Lincoln" ending was the same interestingly similar to a comic book he wrote. We don't know if it was a rip-off, but I thought you'd be interested.

FYI, I'm a Kevin Smith (aka Silent Bob) fan

Yes, I mentioned that in an earlier post. I mentioned that Burton claims to not know of it....hrmmm....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file