Home PEx Relationships The Singles Scene

Curiousity Question - How are western men/local women percieved?

So, apologies in advance for using only english and not being able to understand Tagalog. Sorry :)

Hello!

My name is Sebastian, i'm 26 years old and i'm Swedish/German and i'm a young entrepreneur. Due to future business ventures and expansion, i intend to move to Manila in the beginning of 2013 (and visit this summer to finalize things). Let me be quick to say that i don't intend to go to the Phillies to find love, sex or a relationship - i'm going there to work and advance my company (been working in import/export ventures for the past 3 years) :). Now, i'm a bit curious as to how i will be percieved by locals and more importantly - if i do find someone whom i want to date/be with while i am there, how that will be percieved by others.

First of all, there's no question about how much i will stand out as foreign. I'm white, i'm 196 cm tall and i'm shaved bald. As far as looks go, i'll stand out like a police siren :lol: .

My question - quick and dirty - is how you, as a local would percieve someone like me dating a filipina. Would it make you think it was a MOB-relationship? A relationship about money and nothing else? Would you be fine with it? Is Manila a multicultural city where sights like these are common or is it still a big deal? Would i be subject to scrutiny, amusement and staring? Well, you know the drill ;)

Thank you in advance for all answers :).

Comments

• anthraxgalanthraxgal PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    well it depends on which part of manila you will go...in areas where shopping centers and business establishments are, and people who go there are "decently" dressed up..they don't mind seeing a foreign guy and a local girl together. but if you go to other areas, there are people who will put an eye on you.

but, i think you would agree with me that it also happens in other parts of the world. there are people who would really sensitive about two different nationalities dating. but in the modern times, you should nbot be bothered at it.

my piece of advice bro, just be careful of picking the girl to date with. you can still find nice girls here and would not go for your money.
  • freshbabefreshbabe PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    anthraxgal wrote: »
    well it depends on which part of manila you will go...in areas where shopping centers and business establishments are, and people who go there are "decently" dressed up..they don't mind seeing a foreign guy and a local girl together. but if you go to other areas, there are people who will put an eye on you.

but, i think you would agree with me that it also happens in other parts of the world. there are people who would really sensitive about two different nationalities dating. but in the modern times, you should nbot be bothered at it.

my piece of advice bro, just be careful of picking the girl to date with. you can still find nice girls here and would not go for your money.

^^correct. I advice you to go to Greenbelt 5-Makati Area, Ayala Triangle-Makati. Serendra-The Fort/ Boni High Street. It's where "decently" dressed -foreign guy and a local girl together always hang out.

-For odd stares- I might conclude that if you are a BLACK person. And you're dating a pretty pinay. Really pretty-like asian sexy-chinese appeal features-really fair-skinned-sexy pretty pinay. That's how I see other people stare at them. Blankly. Blacks really have a good taste in women. But they are mostly discriminated unlike if you're WHITE. :lol:

-Resorts World MANILA is a nice place. But it's a place where girls usually look for "rich foreigners to milk" -sorry for the term, but this is how my foreigner cousin(w/ strong caucasian features)-half pinoy(thanks to my tita). describes his experience-when he had his night out in REPUBLIQ. (located in RESORTS WORLD):naughty::lol:
  • K.I.L.L.K.I.L.L. PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    There is a huge expatriate community in Manila and the community also has its own regular newsletter. To make it easy on you, I suggest you try and join them. The younger generation of expatriates have a tight clique but they are welcoming of other expatriates. You'll find all sorts of nationalities as Manila is quite multicultural but the automatic perception of any white guy is that they're from the US.

As far as perception goes when you're out and about with a Pinay, well... That would depend on where you are and what the Pinay is like. In any country except for a few cities I can think of, people tend to take notice of mixed race relationships. In the CBD of Makati and Taguig, you don't have to worry as much but if you go to other areas, people might stare. Don't let this put you off though as most people are just curious. I guess it also boils down to how your date is dressed.

Good luck with moving to Manila and thank you for choosing to invest in the Philippines. ;) I wish you the best in your endeavour and I hope you generate a lot of employment.
  • purpleheadd07purpleheadd07 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    it greatly depends on kind of women you'd wanna hang out with. :)
  • Damoozack123Damoozack123 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    nothing to worry about. you'll get a few stares here and there but most of it, as stated by the poster above me, would only be done out of curiosity. Its common to see western, arabs and even korean guys dating local women. The public's peception of you being with a local girl shouldn't matter, whether its for sex, love, money or anything else, they have nothing to do with it. And besides people will believe what they choose to believe.
  • supernansupernan PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    it depends of what kind of family the women has...