Home PEx Sports NBA
Tip: Here's an Emoji Cheatsheet for your reference.

Would the Lakers be a better team with Marc Gasol?

mullah_omarmullah_omar PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
Could the Lakers have won those 2 championships if they didn't trade Marc for Pau? Would they be a better team now if they didn't do the Gasol brothers trade? Knowing what we know now, would you have pulled the trigger on the trade 4 years ago?

Comments

• rationalrational PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I am really truly amazed by the short memory of some fans.

The 2008-2010 back-to-back was less than two years ago.
  • mullah_omarmullah_omar PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    ^ I wasn't necessarily just talking about 2008-2010.
    Marc provides a more physical presence in the middle. He makes less money than his brother, specially 2 years ago. They could have signed another player and have Marc at the same time. This year, Marc is having a breakout season, while Pau isn't the player he used to be 2 years back.
  • iTcAnTbEdOnEiTcAnTbEdOnE PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    why would you say no to a trade when you know that it will give you 2 rings? no matter how good marc is today and how good he will be in the future, it's still not enough to trump the fact that pau helped the lakers to two championships.
    would it have been impossible to win those 2 rings with marc and sign another free agent using the cap space being used by pau?
  • We will never know what would have happend if Marc Gasol stayed, but 2 rings trumps that.
  • JobyBryant24JobyBryant24 PEx Rookie ⭐
    Sa lineup ng Lakers ngayon: YES. But shempre iba pa din si Pau Gasol, he was one of the reasons why Kobe got his 4th and 5th rings. IF Ariza and Bynum were healthy during Pau's arrival eh baka nakuha pa nila yung champonship that year eh. :glee:
    ^ I wasn't necessarily just talking about 2008-2010.

I'll just quote what ItCan'tBeDone wrote. It captures my thoughts.
    why would you say no to a trade when you know that it will give you 2 rings? no matter how good marc is today and how good he will be in the future, it's still not enough to trump the fact that pau helped the lakers to two championships.

Baka naman ang kasunod na tanong diyan e should the Lakers have acquired Kobe? Hindi nag-champion last year e.
  • PExMan_00PExMan_00 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Yes!

(Para maiba lang :lol:)
    rational wrote: »
    I'll just quote what ItCan'tBeDone wrote. It captures my thoughts.

Baka naman ang kasunod na tanong diyan e should the Lakers have acquired Kobe? Hindi nag-champion last year e.

huh? Anong should have acquired Kobe? Ang akin lang, di kaya higit pa sa 2 championships mapanalunan ng Lakers kung nagtiyaga sila kay Marc at kumuha pa ng ibang free agent? Unang una wala naman nag akala na maging ganito kalabasan nung trade na yun dahil nung nangyari yung trade lahat nagsabi lopsided, kasama na ako doon. Alam naman siguro natin lahat na yung 2 rings ng Lakers maximum na yun.

Considering yung mga nakalaban ng Lakers nung nag champion sila, at yung mga nakalaban nila sa playoffs, kung si Marc yun at hindi si Pau, tapos may pera pa sila para kumuha ng free agent, di kaya pwede maachieve ang same result, at moving forward, mas may pag-asa pa manalo ng 3rd ring?
  • Can't deny that Marc is playing great so far this season, but I don't think he would be a better fit than his brother Pau.

tulad nga ng sabi nila dito 2 rings > Marc Gasol. :lol:
  • nope.....masyado siya mabagal para sa lakers.....

but it would have been great if the lakers used bynum to acquire pau instead of his brother.......
  • 2 Rings. Those were great seasons with Pau.

Wag na mag what ifs.
  • Another thing to ponder about is Marc Gasol's development if ever he played with Kobe from his rookie year onwards.

Marc Gasol development can also be attributed to the fact that the Grizzlies didn't have a solid franchise player ala Kobe. Thus, players were given more opportunities to shine and excel.

:winky:
  • buddywbuddyw PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Yes & no. :lol:
    Pagkaalam ko 5 on 5 ang laro
    huh? Anong should have acquired Kobe? Ang akin lang, di kaya higit pa sa 2 championships mapanalunan ng Lakers kung nagtiyaga sila kay Marc at kumuha pa ng ibang free agent? Unang una wala naman nag akala na maging ganito kalabasan nung trade na yun dahil nung nangyari yung trade lahat nagsabi lopsided, kasama na ako doon. Alam naman siguro natin lahat na yung 2 rings ng Lakers maximum na yun.

Considering yung mga nakalaban ng Lakers nung nag champion sila, at yung mga nakalaban nila sa playoffs, kung si Marc yun at hindi si Pau, tapos may pera pa sila para kumuha ng free agent, di kaya pwede maachieve ang same result, at moving forward, mas may pag-asa pa manalo ng 3rd ring?

Too much second-guessing. As they say, hindsight is 20-20. E what if that hypothetical free agent was, let's say, Richard Jefferson (who everyone thought was a great acquisition by the Spurs). E di sisihan na ngayon kung bakit hindi kinuha si Pau.

Ang tawag diyan, greed. A lot of other teams would give their first-born children for the back-to-back that Pau gave them. This is something that the other great team of the 2000's (Spurs) never got. Count your blessings.
  • Jess24Jess24 PEx Expert 🎖️
    Marc provides a more physical presence in the middle. He makes less money than his brother, specially 2 years ago. They could have signed another player and have Marc at the same time. This year, Marc is having a breakout season, while Pau isn't the player he used to be 2 years back.

Remember that when the Lakers traded for Pau, Marc wasnt even around in the league yet, so you were basically trading for a proven talent in exchange of an unknown. And aside from the 2 rings, Pau's arrival immediately powered the Lakers to the Finals vs Boston.

So 3 finals appearances with 2 rings isnt so bad of a deal. :naughty:
  • JobyBryant24JobyBryant24 PEx Rookie ⭐
    Jess24 wrote: »
    Remember that when the Lakers traded for Pau, Marc wasnt even around in the league yet, so you were basically trading for a proven talent in exchange of an unknown. And aside from the 2 rings, Pau's arrival immediately powered the Lakers to the Finals vs Boston.

So 3 finals appearances with 2 rings isnt so bad of a deal. :naughty:
    Oo nga. I am pretty sure during those times hindi pa ganun ka-polished ang laro ni Marc to win against the likes of powerhouse teams of BOSTON and MAGIC.
  • dudelebowskidudelebowski PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Pau was a key part in the back-to-back. Besides, I doubt Marc would have gotten the same minutes to develop. Memphis is where he grew. No
  • chaitotekchaitotek PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Pau is a perfect fit for the Triangle offense.

Kayo naman, Di lang nananalo last year gusto nyo na alisin yung credit na ginawa nung tao.

Pau is a legitimate all star caliber player, Memphis' franchise player during the trade. Fiba MVP,EuroBasketball MVP, NBA rookie of the Year and so on.

does Marc even have something to show? NONE YET UNTIL NOW!