Home PEx Family and Society Realm of Thought
COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

Violence Against Women in Western "Culture"?

mani94mani94 ex-Catholic PExer
Violence Against Women in Western "Culture" (US):

U.S. STATISTICS

In 2005, 1,181 women were murdered by an intimate partner. That's an average of three women every day. Of all the women murdered in the U.S., about one-third were killed by an intimate partner.

14o29np.jpg
Shannon Lawrence - Killed by the father of her two children.

[VIDEO]

232,960 women in the U.S. were raped or sexually assaulted in 2006. That's more than 600 women every day.

einozk.jpg

Young women, low-income women and some minorities are disproportionately victims of domestic violence and rape. Women ages 20-24 are at greatest risk of nonfatal domestic violence, and women age 24 and under suffer from the highest rates of rape.

jkan7p.jpg

Fact #1:
17.6 % of women in the United States have survived a completed or attempted rape. Of these, 21.6% were younger than age 12 when they were first raped, and 32.4% were between the ages of 12 and 17.

Fact #2:
64% of women who reported being raped, physically assaulted, and/or stalked since age 18 were victimized by a current or former husband, cohabiting partner, boyfriend, or date.

Fact #3:
Only about half of domestic violence incidents are reported to police.

Funeral of Brenda Roberts-Mitchell, 48-years-old. Stabbed in the chest by her live-in boyfriend.
15p4uiq.jpg

Fact #4:
The FBI estimates that only 37% of all rapes are reported to the police.

Fact #5:
More than 300,000 intimate partner rapes occur each year against women 18 and older.

Fact #6:
Between 1 in 4 and 1 in 5 college women experience completed or attempted rape during their college years

Funerals for Amy Lake and her two children Monica, 12, and Coty, 13 (domestic violence victims).
xppkqu.jpg

Fact #7:
Every two minutes, somewhere in America, someone is sexually assaulted.

Fact #8:
One out of every six American women have been the victims of an attempted or completed rape in their lifetime.

Fact #9:
One out of twenty - of rapists will ever spend a day in jail. 19 out of 20 will walk free.

[VIDEO]
"Power and Control: Domestic Violence in America" is a new documentary film about domestic abuse. The film offers a probing and intimate exploration of the troubling persistence of violence against women in America.

[VIDEO]

Sources:

np0ymg.jpg

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/183781.pdf
http://www.ovw.usdoj.gov/
http://www.now.org/issues/violence/stats.html
http://www.feminist.com/antiviolence/facts.html#statistics

Comments

• mani94mani94 ex-Catholic PExer
    Violence Against Women in Western "Culture" (Canada):

Number of violent crimes by sex of victim and relationship to accused, reported to a subset of police services, 2007
    2ypdsa9.jpg

Homicides:

On average, 178 females were killed every year between 1994 and 2008.

45 — The number of female victims of spousal homicide in 2008. Of these, 22 women were killed by their legally married husband, 10 by a common-law partner and 13 by a separated or divorced husband or common-law partner.

Spousal violence (includes common-law couples)

36% — The percentage of female victims of spousal violence who report abuse to police.

More than 8 of every 10 victims of spousal violence are female.

Shelters for abused women:

61,690 — The number of women admitted to one of 569 shelters across Canada between April 1, 2007 and March 31, 2008.

3 out of 4 — The proportion of all women who sought refuge in a shelter on April 16, 2008 who were escaping abuse. The majority of these women were fleeing psychological or emotional abuse. As for other types of abuse, 55% of all women in shelters reported physical abuse, 39% threats, 36% financial abuse, 28% harassment and 24% sexual abuse.

1 out of 4 — The proportion of women residing in shelters to escape abuse on April 16, 2008 who had stayed at the shelter previously. Of these women, 32% had been there once in the previous year, 23% had been there two to four times and 13% had been there five times or more in the last year.

1 out of 4 — The proportion of women residing in shelters to escape abuse on April 16, 2008 who had reported the most recent incident to police.

Canada's missing women:
    wbt1tl.jpg

The United Nations Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW) is looking into the unsolved murders and disappearances of more than 700 women.

Sources:

xbiq1j.jpg

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/85-224-x/2009000/t010-eng.htm
    http://www42.statcan.ca/smr08/2009/smr08_136_2009-eng.htm
    Reverts/Converts to Islam

Judge Marlyn Moringten (UK District Judge) - Specialized in Crime Against Women, Violence Against Women/Child Abuse for 10-12 Years in the UK. She is a British Judge in charge of examining cases of violence against women in immigrant, particularly Muslim women. After examining the faith, she herself reverts/converts to Islam {September 2008}.

judgemarlynmoringtenukd.jpg

Click and watch her videos here: Judge Marlyn Moringten Reverts

Marilyn Mornington is District Judge as well as a lecturer and writer on Family Law and in particular, domestic violence and elder abuse. Both nationally and internationally, she has worked on multiple publications in these areas.

She has been involved in various advisory and consultative capacities with the BBC, the Foreign Office, the Pakistani Government and Police force, the British Council and the Home Office, among many others.

In the last year alone she has contributed to an NSPCC report on abuse in UK Asian Communities, acted as patron to Karma Nirvana, an Asian men and women's project, contributed to a Home Affairs Select Committee on Domestic Violence and Forced Marriage and worked on an International Foreign Office exhibition and publication on the subject of integration. She also lectured on International Law and Human Rights at LSE, the Commonwealth Institute, Sheffield University and Punjab Law School in 2007 and 2008.

Behold! the angels said: "O Mary! God giveth thee glad tidings of a Word from Him: his name will be Christ Jesus, the son of Mary, held in honour in this world and the Hereafter and of (the company of) those nearest to God;

"He shall speak to the people in childhood and in maturity. And he shall be (of the company) of the righteous."

She said: "O my Lord! How shall I have a son when no man hath touched me?" He said: "Even so: God createth what He willeth: When He hath decreed a plan, He but saith to it, 'Be,' and it is!

"And God will teach him the Book and Wisdom, the Law and the Gospel,

"And (appoint him) an apostle to the Children of Israel, (with this message): "'I have come to you, with a Sign from your Lord, in that I make for you out of clay, as it were, the figure of a bird, and breathe into it, and it becomes a bird by God's leave: And I heal those born blind, and the lepers, and I quicken the dead, by God's leave; and I declare to you what ye eat, and what ye store in your houses. Surely therein is a Sign for you if ye did believe;

"'(I have come to you), to attest the Law which was before me. And to make lawful to you part of what was (Before) forbidden to you; I have come to you with a Sign from your Lord. So fear God, and obey me.

(Noble Quran 3:45-50)
    Behold! the angels said: "O Mary! God hath chosen thee and purified thee- chosen thee above the women of all nations.
    {Noble Quran 3:42}

New Reverts!

RCC to Islam (19 yrs old, reverted March 29 2008, Quebec Canada)
    [video]

If it had been thy Lord's will, they would all have believed,- all who are on earth! wilt thou then compel mankind, against their will, to believe!
    {Noble Quran 10:99}

Let there be no compulsion in religion: Truth stands out clear from Error: whoever rejects evil and believes in God hath grasped the most trustworthy hand- hold, that never breaks. And God heareth and knoweth all things.
    {Noble Quran 2:256}

Say, "The truth is from your Lord": Let him who will believe, and let him who will, reject (it): for the wrong-doers We have prepared a Fire whose (smoke and flames), like the walls and roof of a tent, will hem them in: if they implore relief they will be granted water like melted brass, that will scald their faces, how dreadful the drink! How uncomfortable a couch to recline on!
    {Noble Quran 18:29}

[video]http://www.youtube.com/v/z6s-Pe7TrUs&feature=related[/video]
  • naku!! magagalit nanaman ang mga kampon ni Ben y Dἰck nian
    Women Rights Compared: Bible vs Quran {Part 1 of 3}

1. Eve’s fault?
    In the Bible: The serpent seduced Eve to eat from it and Eve, in turn, seduced Adam to eat with her. When God rebuked Adam for what he did, he put all the blame on Eve, “The woman you put here with me --she gave me some fruit from the tree and I ate it.” Consequently, God said to Eve: “I will greatly increase your pains in childbearing; with pain you will give birth to children. Your desire will be for your husband and he will rule over you.”

Eve in the Quran is no temptress, no seducer, and no deceiver. Moreover, Eve is not to be blamed for the pains of childbearing. God, according to the Quran, punishes no one for another’s faults. Both Adam and Eve committed a sin and then asked God for forgiveness and He forgave them both.

2. Eve’s legacy
    “No wickedness comes anywhere near the wickedness of a woman.....Sin began with a woman and thanks to her we all must die” {Ecclesiasticus 25:19,24}

“A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I don’t permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner” {I Timothy 2:11-14}

“I find more bitter than death the woman who is a snare, whose heart is a trap and whose hands are chains. The man who pleases God will escape her, but the sinner she will ensnare....while I was still searching but not finding, I found one upright man among a thousand but not one upright woman among them all” {Ecclesiastes 7:26-28}

Check: {Noble Quran 33:35 / 9:71 / 3:195 / 40:40 / 16:97}. It is clear that the Quranic view of women is no different than that of men. They, both, are God’s creatures whose sublime goal on earth is to worship their Lord, do righteous deeds, and avoid evil and they, both, will be assessed accordingly. The Quran never mentions that the woman is the devil’s gateway or that she is a deceiver by nature.

3. Shameful daughters?
    The Bible states that the period of the mother’s ritual impurity is twice as long if a girl is born than if a boy is (Lev. 12:2-5). The Catholic Bible states explicitly that: “The birth of a daughter is a loss” (Ecclesiasticus 22:3).

“Your daughter is headstrong? Keep a sharp look-out that she does not make you the laughing stock of your enemies, the talk of the town, the object of common gossip, and put you to public shame” (Ecclesiasticus 42:11).

“Keep a headstrong daughter under firm control, or she will abuse any indulgence she receives. Keep a strict watch on her shameless eye, do not be surprised if she disgraces you” (Ecclesiasticus 26:10-11).

Prophet Muhammad (p):
    “He who is involved in bringing up daughters, and accords benevolent treatment towards them, they will be protection for him against Hell-Fire” (Bukhari and Muslim).
    “Whoever maintains two girls till they attain maturity, he and I will come on the Resurrection Day like this; and he joined his fingers” (Muslim).

4. Female education
    “As in all the congregations of the saints, women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission as the law says. If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.” (I Corinthians 14:34-35)

Check: {Noble Quran 58:1}. A woman in the Quranic conception has the right to argue even with the Prophet of Islam himself. No one has the right to instruct her to be silent. She is under no obligation to consider her husband the one and only reference in matters of law and religion.

5. Unclean, impure women?

“When a woman has her regular flow of blood, the impurity of her monthly period will last seven days, and anyone who touches her will be unclean till evening. Anything she lies on during her period will be unclean, and anything she sits on will be unclean. Whoever touches her bed must wash his clothes and bathe with water, and he will be unclean till evening. Whoever touches anything she sits on must wash his clothes and bathe with water, and he will be unclean till evening. Whether it is the bed or anything she was sitting on, when anyone touches it, he will be unclean till evening” (Lev. 15:19-23).

Islam does not consider a menstruating woman to possess any kind of “contagious uncleanness”. She is neither “untouchable” nor “cursed.”

to be continued...

Source: Women Rights Compared: Bible vs Quran
  • sophionsophion Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    mani94 wrote: »
    einozk.jpg

WOW SHE'S STILL HOT HA? compared to these 2 poor muslimahs:

http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atlas_shrugs/2010/04/islamic-justice-.html

ISLAMIC JUSTICE: HUSBAND CUTS OFF WIFE’S NOSE IN TURKISH VILLAGE – THEN SHE GETS BEATEN BY POLICE

example-of-muslim-woman-with-nose-cut-off.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1319804/Afghan-girl-Bibi-Aisha-nose-ears-hacked-Taliban-rule-gets-new-face.html

Afghan teenager whose mutilated face shocked the world

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1319804/Afghan-girl-Bibi-Aisha-nose-ears-hacked-Taliban-rule-gets-new-face.html#ixzz1l6X4KdxA

article-1319804-0B952C7B000005DC-294_306x327.jpg

yuck kadiri! :eek:
    kakilabot kayo! :yuck:
    ^ bro read the stats.... violence against women is a Worldwide problem, still... mas marami pa sa mga supposedly "civilized" culture like the US and Canada.

Eto nalang:

U.S. STATISTICS

232,960 women in the U.S. were raped or sexually assaulted in 2006. That's more than 600 women every day.

In 2005, 1,181 women were murdered by an intimate partner. That's an average of three women every day. Of all the women murdered in the U.S., about one-third were killed by an intimate partner.

232,960 women! in a year! :(
  • at US Based ang mga ***** sites.
    Behold! the angels said: "O Mary! God hath chosen thee and purified thee- chosen thee above the women of all nations. {Noble Quran 3:42}

Christian, Jewish, Muslim Clothing Side by Side

These women (Orthodox Jews, Catholic nuns, Orthodox Christian nuns, and Muslims) cover their hair and bodies in obedience to God’s commands to do so:
    drawntogetherbymodesty.jpg

I know there are exceptions to this statement (i.e., some religious women cover their hair and bodies for other reasons), but I’m not talking about the exceptions.

Insight
    Just because Jewish and Muslim women have husbands, if they so choose, doesn’t mean that their husbands force them to cover their hair. They cover their hair for the same reason Christian nuns do—to obey God. The choice to wear a head covering is between a woman and God. Indeed, some Jewish and Muslim husbands don’t even like their wife to be covering her hair. How would a head covering woman end up being married to a husband who doesn’t agree with her decision to cover? Because people change. Many, many women didn’t cover when they were first married, but through study of God’s word, they have either become aware of God’s command to cover or they knew of the command already and finally had the courage of conviction to obey it. There are also non-monastic, head covering Christian women who cover their hair and dress modestly in obedience to God’s command too. Source: Drawn Together by Modesty

In Judaism and Christianity the concept of covering the head was associated with propriety and can be witnessed in all depictions of Mary the mother of Christ, and was a common practice with Church-going women until the 1960s. A number of very traditional churches do retain the custom even to this day.

The reality is that the modest dress of a observant Muslim woman, covering her feminine beauty, is liberation from the sex slavery that many modern women have fallen into. We say slavery because they have fallen into the degradation of their dignity and humanity by exposing their nakedness publicly, by subjugating themselves to the crass exploitation and commercialization of their precious bodies, by making themselves an object of unlawful desire by their manners and their dress, by and submitting themselves to the propaganda calling to extramarital sexual relationships. All of this slavery is an attack upon morality and the preservation of the purity of family life. Extramarital sexual relationships are seen by Islam, Judaism and Christianity, in unanimity, as immoral, unlawful, and sinful, deserving of punishment in this life and the Hereafter. Source: Why do Muslim Men have beards and Muslim Women wear head and face coverings.
    O Prophet of God, who is most deserving of my good treatment? He replied: “Your mother, then your mother, then your mother, then your father, then your nearest (relatives).” (Al-Bukhari)

Thy Lord hath decreed that ye worship none but Him, and that ye be kind to parents. Whether one or both of them attain old age in thy life, say not to them a word of contempt, nor repel them, but address them in terms of honour.

And, out of kindness, lower to them the wing of humility, and say: "My Lord! bestow on them thy Mercy even as they cherished me in childhood."

[Noble Quran 017:023-24]
  • FenixFenix Member PExer
    I guess this is a pre-emptive thread response to why that afghan man killed his wife for giving birth to a girl.
  • sugargamesugargame Member PExer
    Let's forget about all the statistics at the moment and ask ourselves which society/culture/government actually institutionalizes violence against women.

One answer: ISLAM!

All other societies/cultures/governments prohibit violence against women regardless of the actual statistics of domestic violence. What is the exception?

One answer: ISLAM!
  • AteoAteo Non est Deus. Fac cum eo. PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Ang layo ng inabot ninyo. Afghanistan at Canada. Start with the Philippines. Unang una, wala tayong stats. Ngek!
  • sophionsophion Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    mani94 wrote: »
    ^ bro read the stats.... violence against women is a Worldwide problem, still... mas marami pa sa mga supposedly "civilized" culture like the US and Canada.
    mas maraming nagrereport. because women here have the power and the freedom to report even the SLIGHTEST abuse.

In muslim countries maririnig mo lang kapag sirang sira na iyung mukha ng babae.

mas malupit talaga mga muslim. everyone knows mas kawawa kababihan sa inyo.

what are the best muslim countries? its secularized ones. the more islamic the more brutal.
  • tontontonton Let's stop and talk awhile. PExer
    sophion wrote: »
    mas maraming nagrereport. because women here have the power and the freedom to report even the SLIGHTEST abuse.

In muslim countries maririnig mo lang kapag sirang sira na iyung mukha ng babae.

mas malupit talaga mga muslim. everyone knows mas kawawa kababihan sa inyo.

what are the best muslim countries? its secularized ones. the more islamic the more brutal.

Dito nga humawak ka lang ng manipis na abakang tsinelas at iamba mo sa babae puwede ka nang kasuhan ng assault. I personally know a family involved in such a case.
  • tontontonton Let's stop and talk awhile. PExer
    Saang bansa ba yun pag nirape ka ikaw pa ang masama?
    The media classifies Muslims as "terrorists," "highjackers" and "kidnappers." So why would anyone even look at Islam? Why are so many priests and preachers going to Islam? To know more click: Priests And Preachers Enter ISLAM.

Former Southern Baptist and Feminist reverts to Islam

aminah_big.jpg
    Aminah Assilmi was born as a Southern Baptist and was a feminist working for women's rights. She had her education in recreation and broadcast journalism. Although she was initially opposed by her entire family for accepting Islam in 1977, subsequently most of her family membes accepted Islam. She is currently the President of the International Union of Muslim Women.

"I am so very glad that I am a Muslim. Islam is my life. Islam is the beat of my heart. Islam is the blood that courses through my veins. Islam is my strength. Islam is my life so wonderful and beautiful. Without Islam I am nothing, and should Allah ever turn His magnificent face from me, I could not survive."

For more info click me.

Why women turn back to Islam?

iman1.jpg
    Iman (Monica) Aparicio Christianity to Islam
    *Recommended Viewing* Beautiful Story. This sister became Muslim after her daughter started questioning her about various beliefs such as the trinity and she asked why she had to pray to the cross. So Monica started on her path to find the truth, and alhamdulilah she found Islam. This is a really amazing story about how someone found guidance in Islam. She also talks about her own experience in Arab countries with what she sees as problem, with their lack of understanding about Islam.

spanish_muslim.jpg
    Spanish Muslim Woman Talks about Islam and Women's Rights.
    Bismillah, Assalamu alaykum, this is a Spanish Muslim sister, she talks about Women's rights in Islam. This sister's name is Fatimah Milla - Rumayor. She is educated and bought up in Spain, she works as a linguist and is from Spain.

She points out some useful information about Islam and she addresses the misconceptions that many people have about Islam and the role of women in it.

5a6f950d733b980b2dc883d1e40299d6.new.jpg
    Click here to download "Islam the misunderstood Religion"

This book is a comparison of Islam, Socialism, Communism and Capitalism from a social, economic and moral point of view. For a more spiritually-minded person it might seem a bit dry, if you are politically oriented this is right for you.

Contents:
    1. Preface
    2. Is Religion Antiquated?
    3. Islam and Slavery
    4. Islam and Feudalism
    5. Islam and Capitalism
    6. Islam and Private Ownership
    7. Islam and The Class System
    8. Islam and Alms
    9. Islam and Woman
    10. Islam and The Concept of Punishment
    11. Islam and Civilization
    12. Islam and Reactionarism
    13. Islam and Sexual Repression
    14. Islam and Freedom of Thought
    15. Religion: The Opium of the People?
    16. Islam and Non-Muslim! Communities
    17. Islam and Idealism
    18. Islam and Communism
    19. What Next?
    "I must remind the Christians that unless they believe in the absolute unity of God, and renounce the belief in the three persons, they are certainly unbelievers in the true God ... The Old Testament and the Qur'an condemn the doctrine of three persons in God; the New Testament does not expressly hold or defend it, but even if it contains hints and traces concerning the Trinity, it is no authority at all, because it was neither seen nor written by Christ himself, nor in the language he spoke, nor did it exist in its present form and contents for - at least - the first two centuries after him."
    - Rev. David Benjamin Keldani

d_keldani.gif
    Former Bishop Rev. David Benjamin Keldani

Before he became a Muslim and changed his name to Abdul-Ahad Dawud, Rev. David Benjamin Keldani, B.D. was a Roman Catholic priest of the Uniate-Chaldean sect. He was on the teaching staff of the Archbishop of Canterbury’s Mission to the Assyrian (Nestorian) Christians at Urmia. He was sent by Cardinal Vaughan to Rome, where he underwent a course of philosophical and theological studies at the Propaganda Fide College, and was ordained Priest. Professor Dawud contributed a series of articles to The Tablet on “Assyria, Rome and Canterbury”; and also to the Irish Record on the “Authenticity of the Pentateuch.” He has several translations of the Ave Maria in different languages, published in the Illustrated Catholic Missions. While in Constantinople on his way to Persia, he contributed a long series of articles in English and French to the daily paper, published there under the name of The Levant Herald, on “Eastern Churches.” He joined the French Lazarist Mission at Urmia, and published for the first time in the history of that Mission a periodical in the vernacular Syriac called Qala-La-Shara, i.e. “The Voice of Truth.” He was delegated by two Uniate-Chaldean Arch*bishops of Urmia and of Salinas to represent the Eastern Catholics at the Eucharistic Congress held at Paray-le-Monial in France under the presidency of Cardinal Perraud. This was, of course, an official invitation. The paper read at the Congress by “Father Benjamin” was published in the Annals of the Eucharistic Congress, called “Le Pellerin” of that year. In this paper, the Chaldean Arch-Priest (that being his official title) deplored the Catholic system of education among the Nestorians, and foretold the imminent appearance of the Russian priests in Urmia.

For more information (detailed): Former Bishop Accepted Islam
    Islam Doesn't oppress Women - Abdur Raheem Green

[VIDEO]

Abdur-Raheem Green talks about an important question that is in the minds and in the tongues of many people. It is a claim, an accusation, in fact it is a slander that is made against the religion of Islam. That Islam oppresses women. Abdur-Raheem demonstrates that this is not only a lie and a slander, but also shows which people, nation and ideology is really responsible for oppressing women. He also looks and defines what the word "oppression" means and what Islam says about it. An educational video about the slander that some tend to promote, "Islam oppresses women." Listen in as you learn about the meaning of "oppression" and rights that are presented by Islam to women.

Introduction [start time 00:00]
    A Slander against our religion [start time 03:30]
    Oppression & Islam [start time 05:10]
    Definition of oppression [start time 06:35]
    What are Rights ands there connection with oppression [start time 07:20]
    Back to: Does Islam oppress women? [start time 10:15]
    What are the rights of Women? [start time 11:00]
    Western World has been experimenting with the World [start time 13:40]
    No difference between men/women
    An experiment that was conducted in occupied Palestine!
    Conclusion on the fact that Boys/Girls are different [start time 19:00]
    Women Economy [start time 22:40]
    WW1/WW2
    Nature of Women and the West [start time 27:00]
    Honoring the Womb [start time 35:40]
    Islam Doesn't oppress Women. [start time 38:40]

Abdurraheem Green embraced Islam over 20 years ago and since that time has been active in the field of da'wah. Abdurraheem was educated in a Christian monastic school and although held strong Christian principles dabbled with other religions. This continual quest to find meaning to life eventually led him to Islam.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file