COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

agnostics- what makes you hesitate from being an atheist?

rickymrickym Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
agnostics- what makes you hesitate from being an atheist?

1. you believe in spirituality although can't seem to believe in a god and you believe that if there is spirituality there is a god.
2. you feel this interconnectedness with all things which you feel science can not explain. your intuition tells you that this interconnectedness is god.
3. you don't believe in an omnipotent god, but are open to other gods.
4. other. please state.
«134

Comments

  • FenixFenix Member PExer
    Yup I believe there is a 'god', but not the ridiculous mainstream ones. I always think that that 'god' is just way beyond human comprehension.
    Science won't ever be enough to explain everything there is and religions and their gods are just ridiculous.
  • i was an agnostic early on. thinking - i surely don't know and i'm not going to pretend to know and no one can tell me for sure they know.
    what made me an atheist was the way theists tried (and i mean TRIED) to explain the existence of an invisible super being who watched over us for. be it allah or yaweh, the monkey god or the christian-pagan-burned-out-infant baby-jesus-whatnot. basically, they couldn't convince me. the more i read the bible, the more i thought it was pure bunk.
    i've read and heard all arguments about moral guidance and that we need some kind of guide and i think that's all jack... i don't need it and i don't rape, pillage or loot. most of the people i know won't either and i'm pretty sure they don't need pie-in-the-sky promises to accomplish that.
  • tontontonton Let's stop and talk awhile. PExer
    rickym wrote: »
    agnostics- what makes you hesitate from being an atheist?

    1. you believe in spirituality although can't seem to believe in a god and you believe that if there is spirituality there is a god.
    2. you feel this interconnectedness with all things which you feel science can not explain. your intuition tells you that this interconnectedness is god.
    3. you don't believe in an omnipotent god, but are open to other gods.
    4. other. please state.

    Because there is an unmistakable pattern in the macro and micro universe. But definitely not because of the idiotic god that regret creating mankind and gets paranoid of tall buildings.
  • rickymrickym Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    tonton wrote: »
    Because there is an unmistakable pattern in the macro and micro universe. But definitely not because of the idiotic god that regret creating mankind and gets paranoid of tall buildings.

    there is a pattern, i agree. the pattern is such that it was even written in a book 'tao of physics' the funny thing is that pattern such as opposites in everything etc. while validated by science is also hinted on by spirituality.

    but if god is omnipotent, then wouldn't he be able to function with no pattern at all. a pattern to me would show a constraint in the laws of physics. if the universe is bound by physics,then wouldn't that prove the more that god does not exist?


    reason i'm asking these things is that i noticed that while we know how atheists and theists debate and think, we hardly (at least me) get to here agnostics share their views. i'm just curious how agnostics think.
  • sophionsophion Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    rickym wrote: »
    agnostics- what makes you hesitate from being an atheist?

    1. you believe in spirituality although can't seem to believe in a god and you believe that if there is spirituality there is a god.
    2. you feel this interconnectedness with all things which you feel science can not explain. your intuition tells you that this interconnectedness is god.
    3. you don't believe in an omnipotent god, but are open to other gods.
    4. other. please state.

    i think its equally wrong in just dismissing the possibility that a supremely powerful divine being exists out there.
  • mistervontriermistervontrier The Antichrist PExer
    i was an agnostic early on. thinking - i surely don't know and i'm not going to pretend to know and no one can tell me for sure they know.
    what made me an atheist was the way theists tried (and i mean TRIED) to explain the existence of an invisible super being who watched over us for. be it allah or yaweh, the monkey god or the christian-pagan-burned-out-infant baby-jesus-whatnot. basically, they couldn't convince me. the more i read the bible, the more i thought it was pure bunk.
    i've read and heard all arguments about moral guidance and that we need some kind of guide and i think that's all jack... i don't need it and i don't rape, pillage or loot. most of the people i know won't either and i'm pretty sure they don't need pie-in-the-sky promises to accomplish that.

    if you are a girl, i love you. in a purely-appreciative-no-malice-way.

    if you are a dude, i love you too. in a manly way, of course. :bungi:

    same experience here. the more i started asking questions and read and studied about different religions and their histories, the more i was convinced that religion is nothing but a means to control other people for their personal gains.
  • mistervontriermistervontrier The Antichrist PExer
    sophion wrote: »
    i think its equally wrong in just dismissing the possibility that a supremely powerful divine being exists out there.

    but then again, extraordinary claims require extraordinary proofs.

    so far, nobody has ever proven, without a shade of doubt, that there is indeed a supremely powerful divine being that exists out there.
  • cretinous00cretinous00 The sea! The sea! PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    i am an atheist by choice. that already answers the OP. telling people about yourself and your useless life isn't all that entertaining.
  • krams2krams2 Banned by Admin PExer
    ganito kasi yan, yung ayaw niyo sa Diyos ng bible, gawa kayo ng libro niyo, o hanapin niyo ang diyos na trip niyo, tapos after niyo mahanap, pakisabi dito kung ano ang pinagkaiba nito sa diyos ng bible
  • sophionsophion Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    but then again, extraordinary claims require extraordinary proofs.

    so far, nobody has ever proven, without a shade of doubt, that there is indeed a supremely powerful divine being that exists out there.

    thats why i'd rather sit in the middle. :D
  • if you are a girl, i love you. in a purely-appreciative-no-malice-way.

    if you are a dude, i love you too. in a manly way, of course. :bungi:
    ....

    aw shucks. happy valentine's!
  • farquhardfarquhard Member PExer
    i am an atheist by choice. that already answers the OP. telling people about yourself and your useless life isn't all that entertaining.

    I agree. You are one boring person.
  • mistervontriermistervontrier The Antichrist PExer
    sophion wrote: »
    thats why i'd rather sit in the middle. :D


    oh come on now.. don't play it safe.. do you really think that if there's a god, it will reward you with whatever godly gifts by just sitting in the middle of entropy? :bungi:

    you're an atheist. you just don't know it. ;)
  • chummykinschummykins Exoplanet PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    If there is a god, it's definitely NOT the Abrahamic god. That god, IF there is such one or two or more, whether male, female, hermaphrodite, would be, I guess, incomprehensible. That's my humble position. :D
  • FenixFenix Member PExer
    ^ What is your point?
  • FenixFenix Member PExer
    ^ Do you have to be a genius to not believe in a god?
  • MustaineMustaine Member PExer
    Normal lang magduda sa paniniwala ng mga Atheist na walang creator.

    Parating napapalunok ng madiin ang poster boy ng mga atheist si Dawkins sa vid na ito. hahaha

    George Coyne: "There is a lot of ignorance, because Churchmen do not always express themselves clearly. [...] The reason that intelligent design appeals to religious people is because what I have said before, they look to God as a God of explanation and to have a God who designed all of this is clearly something they would want because if God did not design it, who did? And the answer scientifically is of course, nobody."

    George Coyne: "Religious thinkers always want to have God in the picture, and God doesn't want to be in the picture."

    Father Coyne seems to sound like a rational guy.
  • mistervontriermistervontrier The Antichrist PExer
    ^^

    but then again, if a god does not want to be in the picture, why have that god's word printed on paper? :))
  • yuel0022yuel0022 Wandering Boy PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    I believe that there is god. I just don't know if there really is.

    I don't hesitate from becoming an atheist, I just can't find a reason to be an atheist.

    I consider myself an agnostic theist. I don't sit in the middle just because I am an indecisive douche. I sit in the middle to watch what you guys are doing, to listen to what you guys are talking about. And also because I am too lazy to stand up. It's kinda comfy here :love:
  • tontontonton Let's stop and talk awhile. PExer
    rickym wrote: »
    there is a pattern, i agree. the pattern is such that it was even written in a book 'tao of physics' the funny thing is that pattern such as opposites in everything etc. while validated by science is also hinted on by spirituality.

    but if god is omnipotent, then wouldn't he be able to function with no pattern at all. a pattern to me would show a constraint in the laws of physics. if the universe is bound by physics,then wouldn't that prove the more that god does not exist?


    reason i'm asking these things is that i noticed that while we know how atheists and theists debate and think, we hardly (at least me) get to here agnostics share their views. i'm just curious how agnostics think.

    Why are you looking for no pattern, if patterns are there? What makes those patterns intact?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file