FEATURE ADJUSTMENT: The Flag button is temporarily unavailable for members. We are doing certain system adjustments as of the moment to prevent some users from abusing this feature. For reports, please message the moderators or email us at [email protected]
PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at [email protected] Thank you!

UPD USC Elections 2012

It's that time of the year again. Student council elections in Diliman have always been colorful (literally and figuratively).

On Stand UP:
Will it maintain its hold on the top 2 posts? They always come out strong with their standard bearers and councilors, but it seems that they're losing their grip on the college reps. They lost Educ and Fine Arts to Alyansa and Social Work to Kaisa last year.

On Alyansa:
Will they continue to hold the most number of seats in the council? They came out successful in traditionally red Educ and Fine Arts last year. And if Heart Di?o wins, will she be the first transsexual woman to hold the highest post in the USC?

On Kaisa:
Will they make a successful comeback this year? It seems that they're on a slide after Titus Tan and company's historic feat 3 years ago. If I remember right, they even won more seats than Alyansa that year.

Comments

• gs09gs09 Member ✭✭✭
    Losing Educ AND Fine Arts to Alyansa? Wow. Signs of changing student demographics, perhaps?
  • sibyerbillsibyerbill kamown PExer
    ^ Maybe. But results last year show these two colleges still vote Stand UP for the chair, vice chair, and councilor positions.
  • seeders21seeders21 PureBlood Vampire PExer
    Apparently, OSA has already released the official list of the candidates for this year's elections

http://www.tinigngplaridel.net/news/2012/01/30/osa-reveals-usc-candidates/
    From Factcheck Diliman (it's baaack!):

Tinig ng Plaridel: OSA Reveals USC Candidates- Alyansa has 10 Councilors and 10 Reps, Kaisa has 12 Councilors and 10 Reps, StandUP has 9 Councilors and 14 Reps

Interesting to note: mahina lagi ang Kaisa sa councilors race, they have 12 candidates this year. Humina na rin ang Stand UP sa college reps race, they have 14 candidates this year.
    sibyerbill wrote: »

Tinig ng Plaridel: OSA Reveals USC Candidates- Alyansa has 10 Councilors and 10 Reps, Kaisa has 12 Councilors and 10 Reps, StandUP has 9 Councilors and 14 Reps

Interesting to note: mahina lagi ang Kaisa sa councilors race, they have 12 candidates this year. Humina na rin ang Stand UP sa college reps race, they have 14 candidates this year.

Okay lemme rephrase that. Ang Kaisa na mahina lagi sa councilors race, may 12 candidates this year. Ang Stand UP na humina na rin sa college reps race, may 14 candidates this year.
  • seeders21seeders21 PureBlood Vampire PExer
    sibyerbill wrote: »

Akala ko lahat ng parties buo ang slate for councilors di rin pala.

Anyway, I think it's a close fight for Chair and Vice Chair. Don't you think?

EDIT:

Alyansa has a full slate for councilors. May di daw nasama.
  • flipperooflipperoo Nerdfighter PExer
    I think may edge for Chair/VC ang Blue. Relative unknowns ang bets ng yellow, tapos interesting na Econ ang pambato ng red. tapos dati pang red ang independent candidate for chair. :))
    seeders21 wrote: »
    Akala ko lahat ng parties buo ang slate for councilors di rin pala.

Anyway, I think it's a close fight for Chair and Vice Chair. Don't you think?

EDIT:

Alyansa has a full slate for councilors. May di daw nasama.
    flipperoo wrote: »
    I think may edge for Chair/VC ang Blue. Relative unknowns ang bets ng yellow, tapos interesting na Econ ang pambato ng red. tapos dati pang red ang independent candidate for chair. :))

I think just like last year, the race really is just between Alyansa and Stand UP this year. I'd give the Alyansa standard bearers a slim edge, basing from their performance in last year's councilors race. Although di rin talaga siya reliable as a basis, given what happened to Gem, Tin, and Chorva last year. Baka ma-Chorva din si Heart this year (I just realized how funny that sounds lol).

As for Kaisa, masyado silang nagrerely from their base colleges. This is the second straight year that they got someone from AIT to run for the top post. Although AIT is probably the yellowest college right now, the problem is, it has a relatively small population.

Bat kaya humiwalay yung independent candidate from Stand UP? I wonder what happened.

So complete din pala ang slate ng Alyansa. I still find it weird that Kaisa has more councilor candidates than Stand UP though. Hehehe.
  • gs09gs09 Member ✭✭✭
    Bakit pala may na-reject? Academic delinquency?
  • nVIInVII Member
    ^ ayon sa Philippine Collegian, hindi na nagcomment ang mga partido patungkol sa nareject na mga candidates.

Yung sabi ng USEB, kasama sa requirements ng pagtakbo ang good academic standing.. at malamang tingin ko nga ito yung dahil kung bakit may nareject na 4 candidates.
  • Kikiyo_MoriKikiyo_Mori Uber Sexyluscious Faghag PExer
    There are many interesting personalities in this year's USC elecion but the thing is I don't vote based on personalities. I vote based on principles at doon na ako sa party na all year-round ang presence in promoting students' rights and the school welfare in the national level at hindi parang mushrooms lang na lumilitaw tuwing second sem. :D
    89833288-star-cinemas.jpg

In theaters February 15 :love:
  • flipmartzflipmartz Lurker ✭✭
    Anyare Na? March 1 na ang elections. Mainit-init ang mga issues ngayong taon relative sa mga previous years. :D
  • neinsagerneinsager Member ✭✭✭
    ang tindi pala ng mudslinging sa USC elections no? sa isip ko lang, bat naman? it's not as if ang laki laki ng stakes. eh napaka-thankless job kaya ng positions sa mga student councils tapos ang tindi ng siraan.
  • judge_ojojudge_ojo Member PExer
    ^^at matindi din ang mga nagaganap sa loob ng malcolm hall. oh em gee...
  • curiousercuriouser 8 Secs Left in Overtime PExer
    Talaga? Nung time ko, wala akong maalala masyadong mudslinging. Siguro dahil sobrang magkaibang-magkaiba ang platform ng parties involved kaya doon ang laban. Or sadyang makakalimutin na ako. :hiya:
  • KirkegaardKirkegaard Member PExer
    Anyare? :hiya:
  • neinsagerneinsager Member ✭✭✭
    Kirkegaard wrote: »
    Anyare? :hiya:

haha! taga-law ka naman. so malalaman mo rin yun just by scanning your facebook news feed. :lol:
  • gs09gs09 Member ✭✭✭
    May narinig ako about 'yung sa "Ibalik ang Gender Office sa tunay na babae" daw. Ang dumi lang nilang manira. Tsk tsk.
  • flipmartzflipmartz Lurker ✭✭
    gs09 wrote: »
    May narinig ako about 'yung sa "Ibalik ang Gender Office sa tunay na babae" daw. Ang dumi lang nilang manira. Tsk tsk.

Parang 'narinig' daw ito sa dorm tour, tapos naglabas ng statement ang LGBT, tapos categorically dineny nung candidate in question na sinigaw niya yon.

If you wanna know the latest sa ating USC Elections (Diliman), add niyo si FactCheck Diliman sa Facebook. Debates and Discussions are here na, since wala na (ata) si Peyups.org, hay, miss the old online debacle
  • Kikiyo_MoriKikiyo_Mori Uber Sexyluscious Faghag PExer
    Gash inferness kay Shaina (iyung chairperson candidate ng Kaisa) she apologized na for saying na siya lang ang tunay na babae running for chairperson.

At mga Ateh, tigilan si Ateng Nikki. Wala siyang sinabing "Ibalik sa tunay na babae ang gender committee" chuva. Gash.

From UP Babaylan facebook doon sa comments

Hi! Here is a post from Mikas Matsuzawa: I had correspondence with a resident member of Gabriela UPD who said that Nikki did not say anything homophobic during the Sampaguita dorm tour. And Nikki herself said that her tag line was

"Mapagpalayang kasarian at batayang karapatan ating ipaglaban, isko ng bayan tumindig para tunay na pagbabagong lipunan!"

I do not see anything discriminatory in this statement of her. I know Nikki and her commitment in advancing gender rights even beyond the University. And as part of Gabriela I can attest that never in the history of our organization did we advance homophobia. If anything we are part in the struggle of our fellows in the LGBT community in smashing a feudal-patriarchal society.

To those who forwarded such accusations, if you stand by your claim please provide any proof and contextualize what happened so we can have a clearer picture. Thanks!

P.S.

Even Sampaguita dormers we asked said that Nikki did not say such a thing.

My emphasis on the bolded part. Until now, wala pa ring proof na inilalabas na sinabi nga ni Ateng Nikki iyong ibalik chuva.
    Eto naman yung from Nikki herself...
    Here's Nikki Salazar's reply:
    https://www.facebook.com/nixs2/posts/2693258611459

Una, nais ko pong maglinaw sa isyung ibinabato at ibinabatikos sa akin. Tulad po kasi ng nabanggit ni Ms. Matsuzawa, ang eksaktong mga katagang sinabi ko sa dorm tour ay: "Mapagpalayang kasarian at mga batayang karapatan, ating ipaglaban! Iskolar ng bayan, tumindig para sa tunay na pagbabagong panlipunan!". Ngayon po, paki-linaw lang po sana kung saan po sa mga katagang yan maaaring hugutin ang diumano'y pahayag ko na "ibalik ang gender committee sa isang tunay na babae".

Ikalawa, nais ko lamang pong ipaunawa na NEVER pong inihiwalay, or worse, iniangat ng GABRIELA YOUTH (GY) ang pakikibaka ng kababaihan sa pakikibaka ng LGBT at maging ng kalalakihan. Katunayan po ay naniniwala kami sa GY na regardless sa piniling kasarian, lahat ng masang Pilipino ay dumaranas ng pagsasamantala; na ang ugat ng pagsasamantala ay hindi lamang tunggalian ng kasarian kundi tunggalian ng mga uri.

NEVER nanawagan ang GY na mga kababaihan lang ang may kakayahang pumawi ng diskriminasyon at pagsasamantala. Lagi't lagi pong binabalikan ng GY ang prinsipyo ng sama-samang pagkilos, at isinasabuhay po namin ito sa pamamagitan ng tuloy-tuloy na pagmumulat sa lahat ng kasarian, babae man, LGBT, o lalaki (sa pamamagitan ng pagdi-discuss sa mga klase, paglulunsad ng Educational discussions, fora, exhibits, cultural presentations, at online campaigns, pagdaraos ng mga kilos protesta, atbp.).

Sa huli, sana lamang po ay maging mas mapanuri tayo sa mga bagay-bagay. Wag po sana tayong mag-generalize at mag-akusa ng wala naman po tayong konkretong batayan. At sana rin po, maging malinaw na ang usapin po ng tunggalian dito ay hindi kababaihan vs LGBT vs kalalakihan. Bagkus, ito po ay usapin ng pakikitunggali ng LAHAT ng KASARIAN LABAN SA BULOK NA SISTEMANG PANLIPUNAN. STP!

In fernes, wagi ang pagkonek ng mga taga-STAND-UP ng economic inequality sa LGBT discrimination. Gash ang saya ng warlahan ng mga parties sa social media. KalerQUI lang.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file