Home PEx Lifestyle Home and Garden
Join our PEx Olympics Quiz Night and win GCash prizes! 🏅

what do you think of Glass room dividers?

have u seen of any flat actually using this?

one of its uses is if your flat is kinda too small to have 1 room.

Comments

• ok lang ba ang tempered glass as partition? di ba nakakatakot baka mabiyak?
  • xctrekkerxctrekker PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    todjikid wrote: »
    ok lang ba ang tempered glass as partition? di ba nakakatakot baka mabiyak?

To prevent the glass from completely disintegrating into bits and shards when it breaks, cover it with protective safety film (looks like car window tint but thicker). Can't recall the exact name, but one brand is Armor Guard(?). There should be other brands in the local market.
  • stepehenyan@12[email protected] PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    meron ako napanood sa tv meron sa abroad na experiment na glass na pag nag break di magiging shards.
  • cyberfunkcyberfunk PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    have u seen of any flat actually using this?

one of its uses is if your flat is kinda too small to have 1 room.

You mean like a shoji style space/room dividers?
  • Ako naisip ko cyberfunk tipong sliding glass doors ala shower enclosure nyahaha. Parang ang corny kung ganoon yung trip niya, mukhang bathroom yung flat.
  • cyberfunkcyberfunk PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Ah ok. Floor to ceiling partition pala. I hope you have a very spacious flat. Obstruction lang yan kung di naman kalakihan ang space mo. Maapektuhan yung feel ng volume. Confining, maapektuhan din the way you'll move the furniture around incase you get tired of the present set up. Kung movable privacy divider pwede pa.
  • bluewinklebluewinkle PEx Rookie ⭐
    I've read an old Real Living magazine issue that featured a studio apartment (in Manila) where the interior designer had a glass partition made to separate the sleeping area. It's not often but I think I've seen it a couple of times. You might want to check Filbars for old issues if you want to get more ideas.
  • rendakurendaku PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Kung floor to ceiling na tempered glass (it MUST be tempered glass, or you would be inviting disaster) of standard thickness, if you are renting, it might cost you 1 year rent.

So, think about getting a 1 bedroom flat instead. You can have a real room and wont have to force the illusion that a space is bigger than it really is. :D
  • Hello! I plan to have an alternative divider that looks like this:

dividerql.jpg

With the following changes:
    -Two panels of glass or any cheaper material with movable wheels instead of the three panels with imbedded sliding rollers;
    -Small book shelves will face the living room, while the wardrobe cabinets will face the bedrooms.

Since tempered glass is expensive, are there other types of glass or any material that can create that frost look? I'm thinking of using a frosted sticker/film instead (but not sure what material of divider should go well with stickers).

Will post a layout once I'm done with the planning. Ang hirap talaga pag maliit space (30 sqm lang kasi).
  • rendakurendaku PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    TheOffice wrote: »
    Hello! I plan to have an alternative divider that looks like this:

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/710/dividerql.jpg

With the following changes:
    -Two panels of glass or any cheaper material with movable wheels instead of the three panels with imbedded sliding rollers;
    -Small book shelves will face the living room, while the wardrobe cabinets will face the bedrooms.

Since tempered glass is expensive, are there other types of glass or any material that can create that frost look? I'm thinking of using a frosted sticker/film instead (but not sure what material of divider should go well with stickers).

Will post a layout once I'm done with the planning. Ang hirap talaga pag maliit space (30 sqm lang kasi).

Nice idea! The horizontal frame of the sliding panel makes it look industrial. Neat all-vertical slim frames for that slider can make a huge difference.

Plain clear polycarbonate roofing panels would do well with frost-like transluscent look and sticker application.
  • rendaku wrote: »
    Nice idea! The horizontal frame of the sliding panel makes it look industrial. Neat all-vertical slim frames for that slider can make a huge difference.

Plain clear polycarbonate roofing panels would do well with frost-like transluscent look and sticker application.

Thanks for the tip rendaku! I'll create a separate thread for my proposed condo layout. Will meet with a carpenter this week na! :)
  • AnneleiaAnneleia PEx Veteran ⭐⭐

Any glass na ganito kataas should be tempered. Try patterned glass for other designs like slendervue slendervue.jpg
    patterned-glass-801.jpg

Tinted sandblasted glass Dark-Blue-Tinted-Frosted-Glass-for-Bathroom-With-CE-and-ISO9001.jpg

glass coated
  • bmdbmd PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    For a 30 sqm area, so much glass will make you deaf if you have home theater. Vertical fabric blinds have better acoustic properties. They also collapse against walls.

Alternatively, perhaps a smart arrangement of furniture can be done so that only the bed/dressing area is partially obscured. Have seen solihiya panels adapted as extended headboards do this job well. That way, there's still some visual continuity to the space.