Home PEx Sports Sports Zone

BASKETBALL 101: how to improve in basketball

may bodybuilding thread for beginners in weight lifting, may diet and supplements thread din para sa mga gusto iimprove health nila, meron din mga thread para sa schools and professional schools newbies and tips. now let's have a thread on how to improve in the game that the filipinos love so much!

Comments

• oo nga noh. hahaha.
  • saboteursaboteur PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    my 3x a week routine to improve my game in basketball, softball and flag football

weights:

upper body: dumbell side and front lifts, bench press, dumbell press, bicep curls, tricep extension, body bench dips, clapping push-ups, pull ups

midsection: declined sit ups, buttock lifts, side crunches, back lifts

lower body: squats, hamstring curls, leg lifts, leg press, calf raise

cardio:

treadmill: walk-jog-sprint, back pedalling on treadmill, side jogging and spreading

just do as many reps as you can. get ripped and fully develop before dribbling the ball

i take protein shake, vit E, fat burning capsule, fish oils, H2O, banana, coconut water, gatorade prime bar (and gatorade recover drink)

next post will be court drills
  • xtrmxtrm PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    sa Sulit ako bumili dati Basketball Instructional DVD, OK sya

ito link
    http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/classifieds+directory/q/basketball+dvd
  • Age and habits are factors. I find that it's futile to teach a 14-year-old kid the proper way of shooting (ball out of palm, non-shooting hand used only to as "guide, proper follow through and spin). Might as well just live with the habits and work with what you have. Reggie Miller didn't have the most fluid shot in the game. Ray Allen does. But this is because noone bothered to "correct" Reggie's stroke because it worked.

So work with what you have. Footwork can be improved, but shooting stroke is hard to alter.

And please. For the up and comers, learn how to dribble with either hand and pivot in either direction.
  • tigereconomisttigereconomist PEx Rookie ⭐
    how do you improve your strength (and bulk if you're a big man) without sacrificing one's agility? Perfect example of this rare type of specimen is dwight howard. he's big, strong and agile. how the hell did he do that? ha ha kasi if we look in phil basketball, the big man that comes to mind is asi taulava or erik menk or enrico villanueva. they are big and strong but their agility? doubtful. he he he so how do you think can we achieve the perfect balance?
  • no other way but to simply go out there and play.

you can hit the gym, do plyo, shoot jumpers all day, work on your dribbling skills.. all of those would definitely help, but that's just half of the story. you just need to get used to a full-court game.

if you suck, don't be afraid to go to your nearest court and join a pick-up game. play as much as you can. you don't need to force anything. let the game come to you. gagaling ka lang through experience. learn the game by playing it. then whatever you need to improve/work on will come after.

and once you're used to the game, i strongly suggest that you to get into plyometrics. it added at least 4 inches to my vertical and significantly improved my quickness/ explosiveness.

cheers.
  • ^
    and to add, the young guys in my village hit the gym and try to have the upper body of a lebron james. they've got mad dribbling skills. they can shoot the lights out when they're alone. pero hanggang dun lang. puro porma lang. pagdating sa 5on5, olats. low bball iq. nawawala sa court. pilit lahat ng shots, feeling kobe bryant lahat ng moves. lol.
  • I find that the way Filipinos play pick-up games are different to how it's done in the U.S. An example would be they don't help teammates in recognizing back picks. It's important because it not only helps your team, but it increases your awareness and improves your basketball I.Q.
    ^ Tama, 5on5 dito sa pinas ay predominantly 1on1. 1 is driblling and finding a way to shoot the ball while to other 4 are watching the dribller pass the ball to them
  • mmqb wrote: »
    I find that the way Filipinos play pick-up games are different to how it's done in the U.S. An example would be they don't help teammates in recognizing back picks. It's important because it not only helps your team, but it increases your awareness and improves your basketball I.Q.
    ^ Tama, 5on5 dito sa pinas ay predominantly 1on1. 1 is driblling and finding a way to shoot the ball while to other 4 are watching the dribller pass the ball to them

I guess it depends if you play clubhouse bball or baranggay bball, lol. But it's good to get used to both.
  • Rudy_FernandezRudy_Fernandez Baller PEx Icon 🎖️🎖️🎖️
    -Stay fit, exercise, improve stamina to stay longer and efficient on court
    -Experience..play and play and play
    -Get used to street basketball, 1-1 bball, teamplay bball
    -Practice to improve your weakness all the time
    -Don't be scared!
  • Consistet practice! Tried and tested na to.. Ive seen people with sub par basketball skills that improved on consistent practice. There was a tym during college that me and a friend of mine entered the varsity team. I later quit the team but my friend consistently attended every practices and boy.... the improvement was great! i can say naiwan talaga ko!
  • kokoBware23kokoBware23 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    mga kuya hingi lang po ako ng tips 5"7 po ako at payat at decent naman ako main strength ko i think is IQ b-ball at jumpshot. paano po ba mag improve sa finish in traffic or drive?
  • kokobBware23, improve your upperbody strength and learn how to dribble and finish with either hand.
    ^^ Like how much? Will pushups at home suffice in building upper body strength needed in finishing strong to the basket or do you need to break a leg in the weight gym? (but if guards like kokoBware23 is bulky, isn't it that he cannot finish strong because he will become slow?)
  • I'm not an advocate of substituting a 50 kilo sack of rice for gym equipment. And I wasn't suggesting that kokoBweare23 adds 25 pounds of muscle. You can add strength without bulking up. Having said that, I'm not sold that added muscle impedes speed. Added fat does. Kobe didn't sacrifice his explosiveness when he added muscle in the '02 off-season and I happen to believe Russell Westbrook with them guns is fast as heck.
  • saboteursaboteur PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    use plyometric exercises to boost speed:run at the long stairs back and forth, side step and back pedalling at the field

i have P90x in one of our programs so we use that

i balance aerobics and weights so i will get fast while gaining muscle
  • kokoBware23kokoBware23 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    mmqb wrote: »
    kokobBware23, improve your upperbody strength and learn how to dribble and finish with either hand.

sir like what specific exercise will add upper body strength to me?

my upper body routine look's like this sir

pushup 3x5
    tricep dips 3x5
    pike press 3x5

at lower body routine ko sir ay

supine hip
    bodyweight squat 3 x 5
    lunges 3x5

at conditioning exercise ko sir ay burpees
    at wall sit

tapos core exercises ko sir ay plank 1 x 15 seconds at side planks 1 x 10 seconds

is this enough for home workouts or not? or should i change it?
  • kokoBware23, that question is best answered by people who may know a thing or two about strength and conditioning. I'm more of an X's and O's guy.
  • ErwinSBathanErwinSBathan PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Watch Slamdunk!