Home PEx Lifestyle Home and Garden
Join our PEx Olympics Quiz Night and win GCash prizes! 🏅

wall cracks in condo building

cityland megaplaza (ortigas). launched in 1996. presumably completed in 2000 = about 11 years old.

we inspected a resell unit for possible purchase. we saw some cracks in the alley walls (none inside the unit). not massive but visible and quite a number of them.

how worried should an owner or a potential buyer be with those cracks? are they 'natural'? 11 years is too young for a bldg to develop such, i think.

does that mean the building is very risky or will be f.cked up sooner than usual?
Edit/Delete Message

Comments

• cityland megaplaza (ortigas). launched in 1996. presumably completed in 2000 = about 11 years old.

we inspected a resell unit for possible purchase. we saw some cracks in the alley walls (none inside the unit). not massive but visible and quite a number of them.

how worried should an owner or a potential buyer be with those cracks? are they 'natural'? 11 years is too young for a bldg to develop such, i think.

does that mean the building is very risky or will be f.cked up sooner than usual?
    Edit/Delete Message

the cracks may just be superficial cracks. but still, if its aesthetics only, they should have it repaired immediately. bad sign for a buyer if i might add if maintenance is not regular.

if the building has a basement, it would have been important for you to check, if you are really keen on buying. cracks in basement walls would be a more telling sign.

but we don't know if they already have asked a structural engineer to look into the building's integrity. the structural engineer would assess if the cracks only need epoxy injection repair or portions of the structure need carbon fiber retrofitting.

good luck on your buying...
    hope this helps.
  • treefingerstreefingers PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    thanks! i think i have to probe better then. :)
    buildrite wrote: »
    the cracks may just be superficial cracks. but still, if its aesthetics only, they should have it repaired immediately. bad sign for a buyer if i might add if maintenance is not regular.

if the building has a basement, it would have been important for you to check, if you are really keen on buying. cracks in basement walls would be a more telling sign.

but we don't know if they already have asked a structural engineer to look into the building's integrity. the structural engineer would assess if the cracks only need epoxy injection repair or portions of the structure need carbon fiber retrofitting.

good luck on your buying...
    hope this helps.

hi, thanks for your reply.

1. the condo association said the admin told them d cracks are just superficial. the assoc has scheduled a repainting already. no cracks in the basement accdg to the assoc.

2. i still would like to check the inspection report for the bldg. i suppose theres a govt department that checks its condition annually. where should i go for this? cityhall? or from the assoc mismo?

3. someone is also pretty knowledgeable told me a it would take about 30 yrs for a typical bldg to develop cracks. megaplaza is only abt 15 yrs old so it must be caused by an earthquake or something. i dunno if he meant it to be good or not.

he also said if not properly maintained, it might be condemned in 15-20 yrs which i think is probable. what do you think?

we're pretty keen on d unit thats why we really wanna be sure
  • hi, thanks for your reply.

1. the condo association said the admin told them d cracks are just superficial. the assoc has scheduled a repainting already. no cracks in the basement accdg to the assoc.

2. i still would like to check the inspection report for the bldg. i suppose theres a govt department that checks its condition annually. where should i go for this? cityhall? or from the assoc mismo?

3. someone is also pretty knowledgeable told me a it would take about 30 yrs for a typical bldg to develop cracks. megaplaza is only abt 15 yrs old so it must be caused by an earthquake or something. i dunno if he meant it to be good or not.

he also said if not properly maintained, it might be condemned in 15-20 yrs which i think is probable. what do you think?

we're pretty keen on d unit thats why we really wanna be sure

1. ask around if you have a classmate or a relative or a friend who's a structural engineer, and then request for a look into.

2. no cracks in the basement according to the association? you didn't take a look?

3. would you trust a report from a city government? why, has corruption stopped already since pnoy?

4. if megaplaza is your typical building - then it should have been built according to a proper set of standards. question is, do superficial cracks appear if a building is built according to standard?

5. if the building is regularly and properly maintained, you shouldn't have anything to worry. if the association or the developer has money, retrofitting should be first in their minds before the building is condemned.

sorry if i sound at a loss myself.
    still, i hope this helps.
  • hi sir. are you into consultancy work or something?

we have a similar concern.
    sa amin naman kasi meron mga cracks pero hindi pa kami makakuha ng annual inspection report.

meron kaya services ang PICE para sa mga ganyang concerns?
  • stefan. wrote: »
    hi sir. are you into consultancy work or something?

we have a similar concern.
    sa amin naman kasi meron mga cracks pero hindi pa kami makakuha ng annual inspection report.

meron kaya services ang PICE para sa mga ganyang concerns?

i'm into resins, polymers, and cement powders used in building and construction, for the past 8years.

PICE would be a good source to connect with structural engineers. a couple of years back, NDC (national development company) was also doing structural analysis of government buildings. am not sure now if they still do the same type of work.

or you may contact an affiliate society of PICE. they have a listing at:
    http://www.pice.org.ph/aff_specialty.htm

from what i know, a structural engineer signs a report for a six-figure sum.
  • tholits1224tholits1224 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    cityland megaplaza (ortigas). launched in 1996. presumably completed in 2000 = about 11 years old.

Edit/Delete Message

There are various methods of classifying cracks in concrete. One primary way is to split them into two groups: structural and nonstructural. Structural cracking affects the integrity of the building. Cracking in support beams, columns, and load bearing areas is of particular concern.

Nonstructural cracks, on the other hand, are not detrimental to building integrity, though they may need to be addressed due to cosmetic reasons or to take proactive steps to prevent those cracks from growing over time and eventually reaching the structural stage. Tiny fractures also can lead to other challenges. “Small cracks in belowgrade foundation walls can allow water to migrate into the structure,”.

The size of the gap is another consideration. Hairline cracks generally are not a problem, but it depends on where they are. A high frequency of them could indicate an underlying stress issue that needs to be addressed. But as the size of openings increases, so should the concern. “As a rule of thumb, cracks larger than 0.015 inch or larger,” says Barlow, should be investigated. “The larger the width, the greater the likelihood you have lost aggregate interlock. But repairs can be done on cracks down to 0.005 inch.”

A third issue is location and orientation. Cracks in random directions are of lower priority than those in beams, columns, or other load-bearing areas. “If one side of the fracture is offset from the other, that is often a bad sign,”. “Other warning signs are closely spaced cracks or repetition of cracking at the same locations on each floor.”
    thanks for sharing, tolits, buildrite! :)
  • jlm0930 wrote: »
    Hi to all, please read my message below, pi-nost ko ito sa Experience with Profriends. I would appreciate any comments re this also for the benefit of everyone as well na nakakuha ng unit sa PFI...

Ano ba ang itsura ng fully-weld connection. Kase meron akong Architect and Civil Engineer friend dito sa Riyadh pinakita ko sa kanila yung mga pictures, connections ng mga winelding na bakal ng unit ko. Surprisingly, dismayado sila sa pinakita kong mga pictures kase ang ginawa lang daw ng contractor is spot welding lang which is hindi daw dapat ganon. Pinapunta ko yung sister and mother ko doon sa CWH para bisitahin ang unit at pinasabi ko na ayusin yung winelding nila sa mga connections. Unfortunately, hindi daw nila inayos at pinalitadahan lang ng cement yung mga connections. May babaeng Engineer silang kinausap (Jennelyn) sabi fully-weld daw yon kaya pinalitadahan na nila. Baket ganon? Pwede ba tayo makahingi ng connection details or construction details ng mga unit naten? Binigyan ba kayo? Enge naman ako ng copy please.

This is slightly OT. It's from another thread for homebuyers of Profriends. But it's about structural integrity as well. So could anyone comment on this? How concerned should we be? What actions can we take? TIA