Home PEx Business and Careers The Working Filipino
Speak your mind, but mind what you post. Let's not spread disinformation and/or misinformation.

Paghahanapbuhay sa Tsina, Hong Kong, at Macau

prEttyInDistr3ssprEttyInDistr3ss PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
edited March 2019 in The Working Filipino #1
You probably wonder why most western people in the US or UK now flocking to the world's booming economy right now?

For them it's money and work. Being a blonde, speaks English they can fake their diploma and without any background check as long as they are blonde and speaks with an american or british accent they can get a job in less than 24 hrs. The teaching job here is 250-400rmb/hour. That is 1,700-2,720/hour or $40-65/ hour. With the unemployment soaring high in their country this is money for them...

Well, i recently found out that there are recruitment companies in Singapore recruiting filipino software developer to work in Shanghai. Salary ranging from 1-2 years experience start up of 12,000 rmb to 20,000rmb or more for those with higher years of experience.

I'm not a recruiter..duh! Im just saying right now jobs are in china, not in the US or Europe. And the best place to work right now is Shanghai.

There are benefits though working here..for one tax is so small, you can hardly care or even notice it. For 14krmb salary tax is only around 300 rmb. Rent for a furnish 1 bedroom apt (not studio) is only around 2-3krmb sometimes it can be less than 2krmb. Food And transpo will only cost 2k or less and you have so much left for shopping, money transfer and live a pretty good life...

Anyone working in shanghai right now and want to share your experience?

Comments

• You probably wonder why most western people in the US or UK now flocking to the world's booming economy right now?

For them it's money and work. Being a blonde, speaks English they can fake their diploma and without any background check as long as they are blonde and speaks with an american or british accent they can get a job in less than 24 hrs. The teaching job here is 250-400rmb/hour. That is 1,700-2,720/hour or $40-65/ hour. With the unemployment soaring high in their country this is money for them...

Well, i recently found out that there are recruitment companies in Singapore recruiting filipino software developer to work in Shanghai. Salary ranging from 1-2 years experience start up of 12,000 rmb to 20,000rmb or more for those with higher years of experience.

I'm not a recruiter..duh! Im just saying right now jobs are in china, not in the US or Europe. And the best place to work right now is Shanghai.

There are benefits though working here..for one tax is so small, you can hardly care or even notice it. For 14krmb salary tax is only around 300 rmb. Rent for a furnish 1 bedroom apt (not studio) is only around 2-3krmb sometimes it can be less than 2krmb. Food And transpo will only cost 2k or less and you have so much left for shopping, money transfer and live a pretty good life...

Hi sweety!

I replied to your post on the other thread but anyways since I found this post, I wanna reply here too! =)
    I'd love to work in Shanghai but not sure which one fits me perfectly. I'm currently working as a sales executive. So I need some points and things to take note of when applying a job in Shanghai. Thanks in advance for your help! =)

Pam
  • prEttyInDistr3ssprEttyInDistr3ss PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    repost ko lang.. actually I just replied there... :)

Hello Pam,

Happy New year!

Most demand jobs here is English teacher. However there are some stereotyping in this field. They want people who are white or western look. Pero if your college degree is in education field, you may easily land a job in teaching adults business English. Pero in schools like Elem or Universities, they prefer western teachers. Meron din ibang uni na meron Filipino Teachers that is those teachers are already experienced professor with degree in education.

Other job that is in demand will be IT mostly software developer. dyan maraming Pinoy sa field na yan. They look for people with experience. Kaya make sure you have at least 2 years experience. In China they don't look at your schools, what matter here is job experience coz they don't have time to train you.

Another in demand job is..hmm dunno kung ano tawag dun.. editorial yata. Meaning you need to edit company's documents and do a lot of writing in English. Kung magaling ka sa grammar, English writing maraming big company will hire you to do editorial writing.

As you know China is opening their door to the western countries. So many western companies here and people here lack English writing capability. English subjects is just new to the recent generation in schools and uni. Kaya kahit graduate sila, hindi pa rin sila kasing gling like Pinoys in English writing. They may speak English but not as fluently as the Filipinos. And I doubt these people can write straight English lalo na business materials.

kaya kung mag apply ka make sure to use your English as an edge, kasi yan ang malaking sweldo dito.

One last thing, make sure when you land a job the company will sponsor your work visa. Wag mag trabaho sa tourist visa ha...

Good Luck in job hunting.

PnD
  • Kent_210Kent_210 Member PEx Guru 🎖️🎖️
    Hi PND,

Is there any online jobsite (english) for Shanghai jobs?

• Another in demand job is..hmm dunno kung ano tawag dun.. editorial yata. Meaning you need to edit company's documents and do a lot of writing in English. Kung magaling ka sa grammar, English writing maraming big company will hire you to do editorial writing.

Really? Wow. Can you please list some websites to go to for people like me who would want to try their luck in China. Very much appreciated. Thanks a lot!
  • My first work was in a company owned by a chinese family. One thing I have for working with chinese owned companies is that they tend to be biased to "relatives" and to "chinese". I think it also applies to Shanghai companies.
  • Kent_210Kent_210 Member PEx Guru 🎖️🎖️
    ^I don't think so. Shanghai is a globalized city. Not all businesses are 100% Chinese owned.

As for english teachers, too bad, yung mga English native speaker lang yata ang gusto nila.
  • Ne0Ne0 PEx Rookie ⭐
    You probably wonder why most western people in the US or UK now flocking to the world's booming economy right now?

BAba naman ng Rate ng SD sa Shanghai pala, Shanghai is a very expensive city. on par sa Tokyo at London yan, if you are getting that kind of rate, better stay put ka na lang sa host country mo :bop:
    Kent_210 wrote: »
    Hi PND,

Is there any online jobsite (english) for Shanghai jobs?
    carshow wrote: »
    Really? Wow. Can you please list some websites to go to for people like me who would want to try their luck in China. Very much appreciated. Thanks a lot!

hmmm...

Actually it's best you come to Shanghai and then apply for the job.. Ok lang naman mag job hunting under tourist visa.. basta wag lang mag work under L visa (tourist)

here are some jobsites

http://jobs.shanghaiexpat.com/index.html
    http://enjoyshanghai.com/jobs/it/
    http://jobs.echinacities.com/searchjobs/?Key=&cn=shanghai
    http://www.51job.com/
    http://www.zhaopin.com/

hanap din kayo ng agencies in Manila hiring for Shanghai like jobsdb.com or jobstreet.com

Good Luck guys!!
    according to this source

http://www.ehow.com/info_7742326_average-salary-preschool-teachers-california.html
    Los Angeles and San Francisco

The BLS says preschool teachers in Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, California, make an average annual salary of $30,550, and their hourly mean wage is $14.69. The average annual salary of preschool teachers in San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont is $34,270, as of May 2009, and their hourly average wage is $16.47.

Santa Rosa

Santa Rosa-Petaluma preschool teachers can expect to make an annual salary of $30,780 and an hourly wage of $14.80, according to the BLS. Preschool teachers in Vallejo-Fairfield earn an average annual salary of $26,680. Their average hourly salary is $12.83.

Industries

Preschool teachers in elementary and secondary schools make an average annual salary in the United States of $38,640, the BLS states. If they teach in junior colleges, their annual average salary is $33,920. If they teach in a local government agency, they make $33,800 per year, on average. If they teach in some types of residential care facilities, their average annual salary is $33,060. If they teach in a childcare facility in a university, college or professional school, their annual average salary is $33,040.

In a country of 1.3billion Chinese and a large population of wanting to learn English. Pinakamababa hourly salary for a native English teacher is 200-250rmb/hr, in US dollar it's $30-39 per hour. Pero karamihan nagbabayad ng 300-400rmb/hr ($47-63)

The western people here sanay kasi sila sa bansa nila mag double job, kaya when they come to China wala pang 1 month full na yun teaching schedules nila. Ang dami kong kano kilala dito halos walang restdays, they also work on Sat and Sun.

Here is the proof on how much an English Teacher is earning in Shanghai

【Job Available】Earn 300RMB+/50 minutes as a professional SAT instructor for DK Education

Work Location:
    shanghai

Job Description:
    Qualifications:
    • Bachelor's degree or above from top American Universities
    • Applicants must be patient, outgoing, and comfortable teaching Chinese students
    • Applicants with SAT or other test prep experience will be given preference
    • Applicants with intermediate or advanced Mandarin will be given preference
    • Applicants with familiarity with the Chinese education system will be given preference

Remuneration and Support:
    • Teachers for full classes will receive a base pay of RMB 300/hour (and will be eligible for bonuses)
    • Teachers for private tutoring sessions will receive a base pay of RMB200/hour (and will be eligible for bonuses)
    • Teachers will receive training, on-line support, hour-to-hour syllabi, original books, and diagnostic materials.
    The position is best suited to Americans with a strong interest in education, entrepreneurship and business development. Any interested parties should contact Lucy at [email protected]

Shanghai Int'l school Positions ( Biology/Arts/Music/English)

Work Location:
    Shanghai

Job Description:
    Located in south-west of Shanghai, the school is one of the top international schools in the city. It has a large campus which gives students an environment that is both pleasant and inspiring.

The school offers four kinds of curriculum: a US-based program, the IB Diploma program, AP courses and the Chinese national program. It provides its students an individualized learning experience with a personal timetable and highly-selective courses.

We are looking for Qualified Music/Arts/Physical Education/ Biology/English Teachers for February 2012 positions.

Teaching Details:

Start Date: February 2012

Salary: $2,300- $2,500 USD/ mo; 20 classes/week (40 mins. each)

* Qualifications: native English speaker (US,UK, Canada) + Bachelor of Education (Physical Education)/ BA in Visual Arts/ Biology/English/Music + must have 1 year related teaching experience + can teach primary students+ have teaching certificate / TESL

* Annual Performance bonus

* Free Accommodation

* Full airfare reimbursement

* Working Visa

To Apply: Submit your resume;photo ; passport photopage; diploma;certificate; reference letter to [email protected]/ [email protected].

http://jobs.echinacities.com/showjob-137469.html
    A lot of people think China is low tech, pangit, madumi.. just come here to see for yourself how convenient life is.. If I want to deposit 50,000rmb hindi ko na kelangan pumila sa banko. I can go to to the ATM machine and deposit it by myself anytime of the day even on wee hours and it will reflect in my account within seconds.

This is Shanghai on 1990

pod0021-shanghai-1.jpg

This is Shanghai on 2010

pod0021-shanghai-2.jpg

Shanghai today....

shanghai-traffic-on-nanpu-bridge-by-night-thumb12542189.jpg

I cannot explain in words what a transformation Shanghai is today.. All I can say is come here and experience it yourself. For a lot of you guys who can't speak Chinese you may find yourself lost in translation as a newbie.. but as time flies, you'll eventually learn the language and you don't wanna leave anymore...
  • deleted ....
  • antok pa ata ako! dami mali sa post ko :bop:
    delete again!

eto lang naman gusto ko sabihin! very much polluted na ang China compared noong 1990
  • xBigoteAtBalbasxxBigoteAtBalbasx PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Tignan nyo ang alapaap, hindi na blue, gray na dahil sa pollution :lol:
    haaaay..... later na nga.. :rolleyes:

wala pa tulog ako... :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
  • ^
    ay mali :D
    erase..erase....

tulog muna ako.. later na lang ulit :rolleyes:
  • repost ko lang.. actually I just replied there... :)

Hello Pam,

Happy New year!

Most demand jobs here is English teacher. However there are some stereotyping in this field. They want people who are white or western look. Pero if your college degree is in education field, you may easily land a job in teaching adults business English. Pero in schools like Elem or Universities, they prefer western teachers. Meron din ibang uni na meron Filipino Teachers that is those teachers are already experienced professor with degree in education.

Other job that is in demand will be IT mostly software developer. dyan maraming Pinoy sa field na yan. They look for people with experience. Kaya make sure you have at least 2 years experience. In China they don't look at your schools, what matter here is job experience coz they don't have time to train you.

Another in demand job is..hmm dunno kung ano tawag dun.. editorial yata. Meaning you need to edit company's documents and do a lot of writing in English. Kung magaling ka sa grammar, English writing maraming big company will hire you to do editorial writing.

As you know China is opening their door to the western countries. So many western companies here and people here lack English writing capability. English subjects is just new to the recent generation in schools and uni. Kaya kahit graduate sila, hindi pa rin sila kasing gling like Pinoys in English writing. They may speak English but not as fluently as the Filipinos. And I doubt these people can write straight English lalo na business materials.

kaya kung mag apply ka make sure to use your English as an edge, kasi yan ang malaking sweldo dito.

One last thing, make sure when you land a job the company will sponsor your work visa. Wag mag trabaho sa tourist visa ha...

Good Luck in job hunting.

PnD

Hi Sis!

OMG!!! Tagal kong hindi nagreply! Hahaha! I always reply on the China visa post but I totally forgot to reply here.. Haha! I'm so sorry and Thanks a bunch for this information. I was looking at some sites for the past few weeks but no luck yet. I also applied in some agencies here in Manila (online application). I must say it's really difficult to find a job there. I don't know maybe I only have a few resources and stuff but I can't get all the employers to call me. I'm planning on coming back there by April or May but I really need to be productive or else I'll just come home disappointed. Haha! I'll read the other posts first and then reply if I have some questions. Thanks a lot again sis and hope to meet you when I get there. God Bless! =)
  • kiddo_1980kiddo_1980 PExer
    edited March 2019 #19
    Hello PEXERs,

I'm single and in my late twenties.. I got an offer to work for an American company in HongKong as an IT/SystemAdmin. I was told they are located in TaiKoo Shing. This will be my first time, if ever, to work outside our beloved PH.

Hopefully you can give some advice to a newbie like, things to consider and specially, the lifestyle over there.

1) I was told I'll have a salary in US Dollar. How much is the tax there in HK? Is there a different rate for foreign workers like me?

2) How much is the usual rent there? Here in the Philippines, condo-sharing(4 people) can amount to 6K while solo is 15K-20K a month in prime places like EDSA, Makati, The Fort, QC area. Small studio type here costs about 6-10K a month exluding electricity and water.

3) Ive read TaiKoo Shing is in Quary Bay. How is Quary bay and Taikoo Shing from your experience?
    4) Any racism against us Filipinos considering the West Philippine Sea issue? How are the people? How is it like? Yuppie culture? Old? Industrial? Office-like(makati), Im filtering through youtube videos now but Id like your own honest opinion.

4) How's the OFW presence here? I think I would appreciate seeing Filipinos around as I think it would add to familiarity and would remove homesickness.

5) Transportation? Heavy traffic? bike friendly?

I sure have other questions somewhere in my mind but this is what I can think of right now. Thank you for your time.
  • 1) 0 – 40,000 HKD 2%
    41,001 – 80,000 HKD 7%
    80,001 – 120,000 HKD 12%
    Above 120,001 HKD 17%

Income tax is low

2) rent is pricey, Hong Kong rental is third most expensive in the World. you can find reasonable rates in New territories. the price of electricity and water is low compared to the Philippines.

3) Quary bay is an industrial and residential area,
    4) I haven't encounter any racism yet but I heard rumors.

5) heavy traffic yes but not like in Manila. Transportation? well HK is a first world country, you can expect a first world transportation system. if you can handle Manila transpo system it will be really easy in HK. not bike friendly
  • @peternato9

Aren't you in the IT field as well? Here in the Phil, average salary of someone in IT is 20-30K. Some even go as 60-100,000K...How's in HK? Would 6,000HKD be be enough to pay for the rent, food, electricity, water? I know its relative depending on how we spend/budget out money.. Im just researching on what is fair enough for someone like me with 4 years of enterprise IT experience here in the Phil.

How's the hospital/dental/eye care here btw?