Graphic Novels

Hi guys. I'm new here, and I must admit I have not backread the threads so if there's an existing one about this topic, please let me know.

I wanted to know if there's anybody here who's into graphic novels and/or comic books?

I like a few of the celebrated ones - The Sandman series, Y: The Last Man, The Walking Dead, and The Watchmen. I wonder if there are other kindred spirits out there who can share their faves, or recommend new ones.

Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• brrrrr!!!brrrrr!!! ice-cold PExer
    Maybe googling "pex graphic novels" or "pex comics" will bring up the older threads. Anyway, Y: The Last Man's my favorite. then again I havent read The Sandman. Here in Manila TRESE comics might interest you, available in NBs. Wala pang .CBR files sad to say.
  • feisty_viragofeisty_virago full-time freak PExer
    I'm a girl but I'm into those gory and bloody ones, haha.

Watchmen. Check. No wonder its the only graphic novel to end up in Time's 100 Best books of all time. And no wonder Tim Kring used it as an inspiration for the series Heroes.

Sandman is a staple. I am now a Neil Gaiman snob. The moment he became popular here late 1999 to early 2000 and the Sandman graphic novels became popular, I completely cut him off, haha. :lol:

I was also into The Preacher series. Gotta love that Jesse Custer preacher and the ***** Cassidy and their misadventures.

Hellblazer is another graphic novel I read before. The movie with Keanu Reeves was such a joke. So far from the original. i read this just for the dialogue. For a d!ck, Constantine spews out witty stuffs. =D

Manga: (also considered a graphic novel of the Japanese)

Try these:

1) Blade of the Immortal
    2) Shigurui
    3) Crying Freeman

I basically just read them for free online, hehe. :lol:
  • F-A SoldierF-A Soldier Your Personal Jesus PEx Rookie ⭐
    Japanese manga: Vagabond by T. Inoue. (Fictionalized Musashi Miyamoto)
  • dikyadikya nosce te ipsum PExer
    i started collecting batman trade paperback just recently. so far i have:
    The Killing Joke
    Batman: Year One
    Batman: Hush
    Batman: The Black Mirror
  • hethlerhethler Moderator PExer
    Naruto
    Bleach
    Fairty Tail
    Claymore
    D.Gray-man
  • ender_1111ender_1111 playa PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    hmm,,

watchmen and dark knight returns should be a given..

Y the last men, sandman and preacher for vertigo

mauz and walking dead for indies

and kingdom come.. gorgeous art
  • MONTO GAWEMONTO GAWE Primus Inter Pares Pares PExer
    I read them but hardly collect except for a few that my kid cajoles me to buy.

I also like Graphic versions of classic literature. I saw one of "The Alchemist"; "Dante's Inferno"; "Merchant of Venice" and the like.

They combine arresting visuals and profound ideas into one. San ka pa.
  • mistervontriermistervontrier The Antichrist PExer
    Preacher.
    The Boys.

Any garth ennis title is superb. Highly recommended. :)
  • flipreadsflipreads Member PExer
    For local titles, you can try Trese by Budjette Tan and Elmer by Gerry Alanguilan.

From the company I work for, we're also selling the eBooks of 12 by Manix Abrera (http://www.flipreads.com/book/12/) and High Society by Paolo Chikiamco (http://www.flipreads.com/book/high-society/).

For manga titles, if you're into sports, there's Eyeshield 21 and Slam Dunk.

Pluto, which is a retelling of Astroboy, was also enjoyable.

Uzumaki, which is a must-read for any horror fan.

For US comics, I haven't seen anyone mention the following yet:

Umbrella Academy by Gerard Way and Gabriel Ba
    Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis
    Locke and Key by Joe Hill
    Blankets by Craig Thompson

---
    Flipreads
    http://www.flipreads.com
  • quick_benquick_ben Primus Pullus PEx Rookie ⭐
    I've stopped reading comics after years and years of collecting.

I felt the writers are just recycling old stories and the focus has shifted to showcasing the talents of the pencilers/artists.

So, being more of a superhero-story type of collector and in more than 20 years of association with the medium, the ones that I could say that will forever leave a mark in the industry are:

1) Sandman (whole series) - Neil Gaiman and various artists
    2) Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - Frank Miller
    3) Batman: The Killing Joke - Alan Moore/Brian Bollard
    4) Batman: Year One - Frank Miller/David Mazzucchelli
    5) Kingdom Come - Mark Waid/Alex Ross
  • hitch22hitch22 Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Sandman
    V for Vendetta
    Sin City
    Dark Knight
    Ghost World
  • nosferatujoenosferatujoe Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Y The Last Man
    Pride of Baghdad
    100 Bullets
    Kurosaki Corpse Delivery Service (manga)
    20th Century Boys (manga)
    Demo (although collection siya ng mga one shot comics pero panalo)
    just snatched the complete sandman from demonoid. :D

now hooked on: morning glories. school campus dystopia/horror type. *okay*
    Kurosaki Corpse Delivery Service (manga)
    20th Century Boys (manga)

How are these two holding up for you?

My problem with Kurosaki Corpse Delivery Service is that it's still very episodic ten volumes in.

Si 20th Century Boys naman, kamusta? Hindi ka ba nabitin --> 21st Century Boys?

---
    Flipreads
  • nosferatujoenosferatujoe Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    na-enjoy ko naman ang kurosaki, though nasa volume 3 pa lang ako. medyo nahuli lang ang pagkakaset-up ng mas malaking arc dahil sa volume 2 pa lang lumalabas ang mga possible antagonist and allies nila. though nag-work naman ang volume 1 niya bilang episodic dahil sa idea naman ng introduction of the characters at ang nature ng business nila.

di rin ako nabitin, natuloy ko naman hanggang sa 21st century boys. at nagustuhan ko rin ang live action adaptation niya.
    na-enjoy ko naman ang kurosaki, though nasa volume 3 pa lang ako. medyo nahuli lang ang pagkakaset-up ng mas malaking arc dahil sa volume 2 pa lang lumalabas ang mga possible antagonist and allies nila. though nag-work naman ang volume 1 niya bilang episodic dahil sa idea naman ng introduction of the characters at ang nature ng business nila.

Hindi na kasi nila binalikan yung setup sa volume 2 eh...

---
    Flipreads
  • notiqunotiqu Member PExer
    Currently reading Oyasumi Punpun by Asano Inio - excellent set of characters and unique art style.
    just about done with Morning Glories, and it's just a torture waiting on serials of a work still in progress...
  • tintura_de_yodotintura_de_yodo IS ---- LOCKED PExer
    Pangarap ko mabuo yung Absolute Sandman. Pag nadadaan ako sa book store, napapatitig lang ako sa naka-display, sinasabi ko sa sarili ko, "Balang araw, mapapasaakin ka rin."

I'll try to start Y: The Last Man this year. Tagal ko na hawak to, pero hindi ko pa nababasa. Syet.

Anybody here heard of Locke and Key? It's supposed to be turned into a TV series, kaso no one picked it up for this season, the pilot is floating around on the interwebs if you want to see it And it's written by Joe Hill, son of Stephen King.
  • nozmailnozmail RAWR! PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Pangarap ko mabuo yung Absolute Sandman. Pag nadadaan ako sa book store, napapatitig lang ako sa naka-display, sinasabi ko sa sarili ko, "Balang araw, mapapasaakin ka rin."

I'll try to start Y: The Last Man this year. Tagal ko na hawak to, pero hindi ko pa nababasa. Syet.

Anybody here heard of Locke and Key? It's supposed to be turned into a TV series, kaso no one picked it up for this season, the pilot is floating around on the interwebs if you want to see it And it's written by Joe Hill, son of Stephen King.

joe hill, son of stephen king.

what a shame. :hiya: kung di ko pa mababasa to hindi ko pa malalaman.

i listened to his 20th century ghost and would like to read heart-shaped box.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file