Home PEx International Entertainment International Movies

Movies you think people should watch!

We've all seen movies... a lot we liked... and probably a lot more we didn't...

Movies affect us in all sorts of ways.... u're either disturbed by it... stirred.... lifted up... or what....

Can u recommend some movies that we MUST see because it deeply affected u?

I'll start....

Cinema Paradiso - it's an italian film... very moving..

Comments

• SweetkaySweetkay PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    so true! Cinema Paradiso is really good.

umm. . . Patch Adams and Dead Poet Society. :)
  • Originally posted by Sweetkay
    so true! Cinema Paradiso is really good.

umm. . . Patch Adams and Dead Poet Society. :)

I'm glad some agrees w/ me... Life is Beautiful although quite tragic eh another good one....

these movies are not really life changing pero leaves u quite satisfied..... ine-emphasize lang what really matters in life....

how about six degrees of separation ?
  • my all-time fave movie is The Shawshank Redemption. i highly recommend this flick. it starred tim robbins and morgan freeman. based on a novel (a trilogy, i think) by stephen king, it's one hell of a movie that u don't just forget--ever. this was shown years ago in manila but they changed the title to "The Prisoner," :angry: obviously to rake in money. the movie bombed at the tills but i was lucky to see it before it ended its run.
  • Originally posted by nada
    my all-time fave movie is The Shawshank Redemption. i highly recommend this flick. it starred tim robbins and morgan freeman. based on a novel (a trilogy, i think) by stephen king, it's one hell of a movie that u don't just forget--ever. this was shown years ago in manila but they changed the title to "The Prisoner," :angry: obviously to rake in money. the movie bombed at the tills but i was lucky to see it before it ended its run.

shawshank redemption is good nga but not that popular.... for those of u out there available 'to sa video/dvd for u to enjoy!
  • AbominableAbominable PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    I agree that people should see Life is Beautiful and Dead Poets Society. Another film to watch is "King of the Hill". I see striking similarities with these three movies: all of them have something to say about how we should appreciate our life; how it is good to live. It allows us to not see supposedly ordinary things as plain as it seem; it make us ponder that we can see things in a different angle; view it in some other dimension and from that we realize how little things can bear significant meanings to us.
  • For starters, I think everyone should have a whiff of ELIZABETH if only to give a crash course on English monarchy and the history during that period. And also to remind people that Cate Blanchett's luminousity is a joy to watch.

Of all the classic films, BICYCLE THIEF should be watched for the realism of Mussolini-era Italy, but also for the tragedy faced by the common people during this time. This is not a happy-ending movie, but it deals with a lot of truth about human nature very rarely delved in the movies.

I feel that JESUS OF MONTREAL and CENTRAL STATION should be watched for the sheer beauty and inch-perfect acting by the lead actors. In the former, Lothaire Bluteau was fantastic as a leader of a theatre group who wants to stage the passion play. In the latter, Fernanda Montenegro's outstanding performance as a spinster giving life a second chance was harrowing and ultimately heartbreaking. They don't make films like these anymore. And if my agenda was to make people shed tears, its because its so beautiful one shouldn't hide one's feelings when shown films of this emotional scale.
  • Originally posted by Groucho
    For starters, I think everyone should have a whiff of ELIZABETH if only to give a crash course on English monarchy and the history during that period. And also to remind people that Cate Blanchett's luminousity is a joy to watch.

Of all the classic films, BICYCLE THIEF should be watched for the realism of Mussolini-era Italy, but also for the tragedy faced by the common people during this time. This is not a happy-ending movie, but it deals with a lot of truth about human nature very rarely delved in the movies.

I feel that JESUS OF MONTREAL and CENTRAL STATION should be watched for the sheer beauty and inch-perfect acting by the lead actors. In the former, Lothaire Bluteau was fantastic as a leader of a theatre group who wants to stage the passion play. In the latter, Fernanda Montenegro's outstanding performance as a spinster giving life a second chance was harrowing and ultimately heartbreaking. They don't make films like these anymore. And if my agenda was to make people shed tears, its because its so beautiful one shouldn't hide one's feelings when shown films of this emotional scale.

whoaa.... just like reading a professional film review.... baka naman u are a film reviewer nga Groucho... i suppose the nick you picked says a lot about your love for films....

i've seen only one of the four u've mentioned.... 'yong Jesus of Montreal lang.... i'll try to get a hold of the rest next time i borrow some videos... thanks bro/sis!
  • Originally posted by iSKOph
    I'm glad some agrees w/ me... Life is Beautiful although quite tragic eh another good one.... [/b]?

I agree with you too,,,, Life is Beautiful is a very good movie...tragic but love is very strong....

For the topic: L'Amant a french film (in english The Lover) nice movie... lot os lines and a very equisite theme... also Indo-Chine or Indo-China... Dead poets is a good one too... Dirty dancing hehehe! romantic, nice moves... Men of Honor, dignity and courage :bop: also Brave heart... freedommmmm!!!! :D
  • Todo Sobre Mi Madre
    Eat Drink Man Woman
    Xiu Xiu
    Himala
    Lucia
    Darna (with Vilma Santos plus Jaime Fabregas as one of the giants, or was that the version with Rio Locsin? help!)
    Ang Lalaki Sa Buhay Ni Selya

marami pa eh...pero hindi ko maisip ngayon....

whoaa.... just like reading a professional film review.... baka naman u are a film reviewer nga Groucho... i suppose the nick you picked says a lot about your love for films....

i've seen only one of the four u've mentioned.... 'yong Jesus of Montreal lang.... i'll try to get a hold of the rest next time i borrow some videos... thanks bro/sis!

Wow! Thanks for the kind words. :wink:

I dabbled in film review in some wholesome obscure international magazine but was terminated, pink-cashiered, fired, hit-the-road-Jack'ed because of "irreverence, potential-troublemaker propensities". And I thought I was just a Ferris Bueller out there having fun. So like Dex in THE TAO OF STEVE (watch it in Glorietta ArtFilm. Now!), I decided to follow Rule Number 2 (you've got to watch the film so you would know) and become a swimmer.

Groucho is an homage to misogynist and deadpan humor genius Groucho Marx (though I, like Robert Altman and Richard Strauss, loved women. Sometimes to a fault, but that's another story). :wink: And I am not a member of any organization that wants me as a member (if you catch my drift). Look under my name. :lol:

Yes, I love films did you enjoy DUDE, WHERE'S MY CAR? Kidding :lol:

I have a very clean VHS copy of CENTRAL STATION if you are interested to borrow it. Be warned though of copious tears that might embarrass you. Copies of ELIZABETH are found virtually in all cardinal points of the compass. Enjoy!

Incidentally, Glorietta 4 will finally show THREE SEASONS after THE TAO OF STEVE. Moviegoers should thank me for that. :wink:
  • neth_rowneth_row PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    i suggest you turn your pc off, head for the nearest theater, and see Moulin Rouge! *okay*
  • "metropolitan" by whit stillman (isama mo na rin ang "barcelona" niya) 1991(?) personal favorite. great ensemble acting by a bunch of talented newcomers(at that time?)

"freeway", yung movie ni reese witherspoon. it's so cool. :cool: naging malaking fan niya ako dahil sa performance niya dito sa film. 1996

kaya ko nire-recommend ito kasi sayang naman, feeling ko walang nakapanood ng mga magagandang palabas na ito. please give these films a chance... kung may mahanap pa kayo sa friendly video stores nyo diyan...
  • Movies people should watch...

1. American History X
    2. The Cider House Rules
    3. Traffic
    4. The Rocketman---very funny
    5. Dead Poets Society
    6. Life is Beautiful
    7. American Beauty
    8. Bridget Jones' s Diary--but the book is funnier
    9. Shawshank Redemption
    10. E.T.
  • Originally posted by Groucho

I dabbled in film review in some wholesome obscure international magazine but was terminated, pink-cashiered, fired, hit-the-road-Jack'ed because of "irreverence, potential-troublemaker propensities". And I thought I was just a Ferris Bueller out there having fun. So like Dex in THE TAO OF STEVE (watch it in Glorietta ArtFilm. Now!), I decided to follow Rule Number 2 (you've got to watch the film so you would know) and become a swimmer.

swerti ka, you're becoming steve na! ako, stu pa lang ;)

anyway, oks na oks si donal logue.

and the movie's okay...
  • Ditto on Cinema Paradiso *okay*
  • Shawshank Redemption is a very good movie...

I had a University President as a guest in my house five or four years ago and I do not know how he can spend the time while waiting for their return trip to the Philippines. He does not watch movie...and he warned me that he will still fall asleep if I try to get him to watch one of my collections...

He did not sleep a wink....

I like the King and I (Yul Bryner and Deborah Kerr film) not Jodie Foster and Chow Fat's version nor the older version of Rex Harrison.

Krove, eat your heart out...I got collections of old movies...Some of them were not even colorized...

These are just collection items...and to compare the movies done before and the new version...e.g. the Twelve Angry Men of Henry Fonda and the new one, which I did not bother to watch...

I got to watch recent movies in my pay per view but many of them are trash...I even preferred the animated How the Emperor Got His New Groove...

Nothing special about the award winning Crouching Tiger..or whatever it is...I will watch Brendan Fraser's the Mummy anytime and Miss Congeniality to learn proper walking and standing...
    (cotillion of State of Grace fame) than watch Cast Away of Tom Hanks....(They should have consulted our Aetas in Zambales on how to become survivors).
  • Agree on American History X
  • Schindler's List -- and learn the meaning of the word "transfixed".
  • Shawshank Redemption - really touching, great performance from Tim Robbins
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - great twist, funny and sentimental
    The Usual Suspects - galing ni Kevin Spacey
    Awakenings - galing din ni Robert De Niro, nakakaiyak sa huli when he became catatonic again
    Gone With the Wind - hay naku, absolute classic
    The Shining - Where's Johnny!
    And...
    Almost all movies of Edward Norton

:smokehead:
    We've all seen movies... a lot we liked... and probably a lot more we didn't...

Movies affect us in all sorts of ways.... u're either disturbed by it... stirred.... lifted up... or what....

Can u recommend some movies that we MUST see because it deeply affected u?

I'll start....

Cinema Paradiso - it's an italian film... very moving..

Movies which can affect people?
    Here's some of mine, not in particular order.

1. Shawshank Redemption is the most quintessential feel-good movie. Way deserving of the Oscar which it lost to Forrest Gump.

2. SCi-Fi: Star Wars, the trilogy. Gattaca, 2001:A Space Oddysey, Matrix, Alien,

3. Schindler's List, Apocalypse Now, Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, may be Saving Private Ryan and Thin Red Line

4. Drama, fIlm noir and the likes: Chinatown, Fargo, Midnight Cowboy, Vertigo, The Godfather series, A Clockwork Orange, Silence of the Lambs, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

5. Movies for your Mom: Terms of Endearment, Ordinary People, Kramer vs. Kramer, Casablanca, North by Northwest. It's a Wonderful Life, Sophie's Choice and any movie with Meryl Streep on it.

6. Comedy and Musicals: West Side Story, Singin' in the Rain, Annie Hall, Gold Rush, The Lion King, Amadeus, Sound of Music

7. Foreign (Not in English movies): Zhang Yimou's movies like To Live; Cinema Paradiso, Il Postino, Brocka's Bayan Ko:Kapit sa Patalim; and dozens of French movies (e.g. directed by Louis Malle, Trauffaut, Goddard). Japanese movies directed by the great Kurosawa.