Home PEx Lifestyle Health and Wellness
COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

Proton-Pump Inhibitors and High Protein Diet

I've been prescribed with Omeprazole due to my hyperacidity. One month course, and I'm on my 15th. I am also lifting weights and have increased my protein intake by eating plenty of lean meats and whey protein.

Questions: PPIs work by inhibiting the production of grastic juices in the stomach which are essential in protein digestion. Is my body absorbing less protein than I normally would without PPI? Im worried about the thought of my muscles not being nourished enough, lalo na during recovery/postworkout.

Nagtataka kasi ako, I've been searching on the web and none of the artix I've read so far warm about the effects of PPI to a high protein diet. Well, I had constipation a few days ago but it's fairly recent and I got rid of it just by eating veggies and fruits. No stomach cramps, indigestion, diarrhea, bloating, etc since the day I took PPIs.

Hope somebody answers here. Masyadong matipid sa explanation yung doctor na kinunsulta ko eh pag tinatanong ko, parang tinatamad na yata sa propesyon nya. But I will try to ask him once Im done with the course. And of course, a 2nd opinion is always better than none.

Comments

• LesLes PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    I've never read any literature mentioning that PPIs decrease the absorption of protein. Protein absorption in the intestines is not influenced by acidity (or lack of it) so it's unlikely that PPIs have any effect on protein absorption.
  • My take here is that if the stomach does not produce enough gastric acid to digest the proteins in meat, then the intestines will have less "ready to absorb" protein (ie when the food passes through the intestines, less of it has been processed for digestions due to lack of grastic acids). I just wanted to read it from somewhere, but none Ive read so far point to this so I could be missing out on some details.
  • LesLes PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    The gastric acid per se does not digest the proteins. It just converts pepsinogen to pepsin, which plays a role in digesting proteins in the stomach. Other enzymes like trypsin and chymotrypsin (in the intestines) also break down the protein into amino acids.

If PPIs actually caused significant protein malabsorption it would have been certainly documented in medical literature. As is, there is no such thing, so you're worrying unnecessarily over a trivial matter.
  • Wow thanks po Doc Les! That should clear my worries over PPIs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file