Home PEx Sports NBA

Joe Smith is back with the Wolves!

Smith made his return to the Minnesota Timberwolves official Monday, signing a six-year contract he agreed to last week.

The Wolves' negotiations with Smith last season were far more costly. NBA commissioner David Stern voided Smith's contract after he found the Timberwolves guilty of signing him to a series of illegal contracts. The Wolves were fined $3 million, stripped of four first-round draft picks. Team owner Glen Taylor and vice president Kevin McHale were also forced to temporarily leave the team.
Smith, who turned 26 Thursday, is hoping fans won't hold him responsible.
The decision to pursue Smith rather than bring back LaPhonso Ellis was a tough one, coach Flip Saunders said. Ellis, who averaged 9.4 points for the Wolves last season, signed Saturday with Miami.
Smith was a versatile sixth man during his term with the Wolves, but he said he hopes to start at power forward next season. Saunders said there might be times when small forward Wally Szczerbiak is moved to guard so that the 6-foot-10 Smith can play on a front line with a pair of 7-footers -- Garnett and either center Radoslav Nesterovic or Loren Woods. Oh yeah! I hope they can improve their winning percentage and get past the first round.

Comments

• bichbich PExer
    gustong gusto talaga ng wolves c joe smith... sana namn worth cya nung pera... #1 pick pa namn cya!!
  • ---->nah! no big news here....it'll just be the same old "dissapointing" wolves next season:down:
  • Originally posted by bich
    gustong gusto talaga ng wolves c joe smith... sana namn worth cya nung pera... #1 pick pa namn cya!!

---->quote taken from www.nba.com:

"I'm still the same guy out there, working hard to get wins," Smith said. "I'm still going to have the same smile and be the same Joe." - JOE SMITH

---->same joe??? lakas ng loob niyang sabihin to ah!:rolleyes: ...man, that is the least thing that he could have said! its like saying that they will get stuck in the 1st round again!:lol:....is he worth the $34 million salary??...uhhmmm nope.(sad but true.)....be realistic minnesota, loyalty cant win u any championships!(or even get u past the 1st round:lol: );)
  • --->yup! i believe that loyalty can be a factor in winning a championship:up:..but 2 bad this doesnt apply to the wolves....be loyal to joe smith??? hehe...they're juz wastin their time on this one...i mean u can get another player who's much better and definitely much more deserving in that $34 million salary...why go waste it on a player who cant even help minnesota get past the 1st round?:confused3: go figure! nuthin else 2 blame here but the wolves' management....unless they get their as*es fired, thats the only time we can see some improvements for minnesota.

"he is underpaid"---->???
  • Originally posted by sixxx
    --->yup! i believe that loyalty can be a factor in winning a championship:up:..but 2 bad this doesnt apply to the wolves....be loyal to joe smith??? hehe...they're juz wastin their time on this one...i mean u can get another player who's much better and definitely much more deserving in that $34 million salary...why go waste it on a player who cant even help minnesota get past the 1st round?:confused3: go figure! nuthin else 2 blame here but the wolves' management....unless they get their as*es fired, thats the only time we can see some improvements for minnesota.
    What do you expect from that kind of line-up? mahina naman talaga line-up ng Wolves eh. Kaya nga nila kinuha ulit si Joe Smith.
  • Joe Smith, underpaid?:mconfused: Are you mental? The man was already overpaid by the cheating of Kevin McHale and the Wolves' president, resulting in the team getting no first round draft picks for the next few years and he's underpaid? The man is an NBA joke! Webber is an All-Star who is one of the top 5 players in the game today, Houston at least has contributed to the Knicks playoff runs, even making the NBA Finals in 1999.

What the hell has Joe "Overrated" Smith done in his NBA career? Drafted number one by the Warriors, wore out his welcome and got himself traded to Philadelphia where he did absolutely nothing, went to Minnesota the first time and was an average player behind Garnett at best, and got caught for an under the table deal. Played for the Pistons last year and couldn't generate enough noise to make a wind chime move a few inches.

Puh-lease, get your eyes checked. Smith is just a utility player, an average player, the Wolves can do a lot better without this overpaid nobody.
  • minnesota is the team to beat in the west? are you out of your mind? what about the lakers who has improved by adding richmond, and the spurs, who has added bowen and smith, and the kings, who added bibby and the ever improving dallas who even got veteran danny manning? joe smith was with the wolves 2 seasons back but the same team never made it to the second round so what makes u think they will challenge for the title this year when most of the teams in the west has been getting additional firepower. joe smith may be an above-average forward but he's not going to be the messiah of this team that will lead them to the promised land. and he's not underpaid coz he hasn't proven anything yet!
  • Originally posted by Y2K-G_21
    What do you expect from that kind of line-up? mahina naman talaga line-up ng Wolves eh. Kaya nga nila kinuha ulit si Joe Smith.

--->yun nga problema...iniisip lang ng minnesota ay loyalty lang....o paano naman mag-iimprove ang wolves kung mga ganyang klaseng player ang kinukuha nila??? and not to mention wasting $34 million on him???....tsk tsk....

"Kaya nga nila kinuha ulit si Joe Smith."--->sorry 2 say but he wont make any improvements for the wolves...and that's a fact! they are juz gonna be the same old wolves who'll get ther as*es whipped during the playoffs.....

---->this is a kind of team we definitely wont watch out....and if ever na ganyan pa rin lineup nila, i doubt it kung makakaabot pa sila ng playoffs! juz watch while the clippers take their playoff spot:cool:
  • Team to beat in the West?:mconfused: Wait a minute, no offense to the Timberwolves fans, but has Minnesota even advanced to the second round of the playoffs in their entire history? Have they ever even won the Midwest Division? Wasn't their best finish always number 3 or 4 in the Midwest, behind powers like Utah, San Antonio, the old Rockets, and the new Mavs? The Rock hasn't even gotten to the Pacific Division where other powers like the Lakers, Kings, Suns, and Blazers reside, and Minnesota with little Joe Smith is the favorite in the West?:mconfused: Yeah right!:rolleyes:

You enjoy insulting people with all your ebonic talk, your little "Fine as?" comments, and you can't handle the smallest terminology in being "mental"? Sorry if you took offense to it, but there are times that your arguments just seem to be so out of whack that it becomes absolutely ridiculous.
  • I disagree about them being the team to beat in the West. obvious na Lakers, Spurs and Portland parin and malayo Wolves don. Pero sa sinasabi nyo na they will be the the same old lousy Wolves, I dont think so! Di nyo pa nga nakita maglaro yung Wolves this season eh! Eh kung yung Kings nga di gaano nagiba yung line-up naka lagpas sa first round tapos 3rd seed pa sila sa West! And I'm 105% sure na makakaabot sila sa playoffs. And Clippers reaching the playoffs? In the distinct future I suppose! in their dreams! :lol: "No Big news here?" ----> para sayo siguro! Sakin big news kasi team ko to. You guys can say whatever you want. I'm not swithcing teams. kasi LOYAL ako.

Peace :goon:
  • ---->uhm we dont have 2 see how the wolves would play next season...with the same lineup, we're seeing a repeat of last years' "woeful" wolves....it's basically predictable na!.....joe smith? not a threat to us:bigyawn:

---->comparing minnesota to sacramento???:lol:....lets see...sacramento has chris webber, divac, stojakovic(should be the most improved player!), and cge na nga, pati na rin si jason williams....most of them are rising stars!...and they got a big help from signing doug christie(now thats worth $34 million!)....wolves can possibly be like sacramento if ever joe smith would improve!(note: j. smith had already said that he's gonna be the sameold joe smith:rotfl: )....he better take some lessons from stojakovic if they ever want to advance to the 2nd round.;)

---->open ur eyes not as a minnesota fan, cause u'll definitely see the "big" chance that the clippers can beat your wolves:bleh:

--->oh ok cge....big news to para sayo, but not a big news for a non-minnesota fan....we juz pity the wolves for such a move, and wasting their time in this nonsense..thats all:shakehead:

"I'm not swithcing teams. kasi LOYAL ako."
    >gud 4 u!*okay*

---->open ur eyes not as a minnesota fan, cause u'll definitely see the "big" chance that the clippers can beat your wolves:bleh:
    Clippers?? As I said earlier, In the distinct future!
    You guys can say whatever you want. I'm not swithcing teams. kasi LOYAL ako.

Peace :goon:
    Buti ka pa, loyal till the end.:up:
    Clippers?? As I said earlier, In the distinct future!

---->yeah yeah....i cant blame u, loyal ka nga pala sa wolves mo...o cge na nga, kunwari makakapasok ang wolves sa playoffs at makaka-advance sa 2nd round:rolleyes:
  • Hehehe. Dapat sa Clippers mo sinasabi yan! :rotflmao:
  • --->hindi ko naman kelangan sabihin yun sa clippers....they would actually do it!:D ....ahhh ok gud lak nalang sa minnesota, hope they're doin the right thing....sayang naman kasi si Garnett:( ....i mean kung wala si garnett wala naman yung wolves...i hate those kind of team, yung 1 man team kumbaga....GO WOLVES!:lol::D
    --->hindi ko naman kelangan sabihin yun sa clippers....they would actually do it!:D
    oo naman kayang-kaya nila! hmmm... hintay ka mga...... 10 years :lol: :rotflmao:
    oo naman kayang-kaya nila! hmmm... hintay ka mga...... 10 years :lol: :rotflmao:

---->uhmmmm 10 years? eh wolves? 20 yrs pa from now bago pa mag-advance ng 1st round!:lol::rotfl::lol::rotfl:.....its true, its true....tsk tsk....

---->uhmmmm 10 years? eh wolves? 20 yrs pa from now bago pa mag-advance ng 1st round!:lol::rotfl::lol::rotfl:.....its true, its true....tsk tsk....
    20 yrs? hmm.... maging realistic ka naman kahit konti! :rotflmao: wag mo sabihing ralistic ka! grabe ka na! It's a shame na wala ka masyadong knowledge about basketball, Marian student ka pa naman! :rolleyes: tsk! tsk!

naaaah! i think the wolves will take at least 10 years to advance in the playoffs especially with joe 'overrated' smith! :lol: