FEATURE ADJUSTMENT: The Flag button is temporarily unavailable for members. We are doing certain system adjustments as of the moment to prevent some users from abusing this feature. For reports, please message the moderators or email us at [email protected]
PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at [email protected] Thank you!

La Salle set to name Gee Abanilla head coach

_Bahay_Kubo__Bahay_Kubo_ Banned by Admin PExer
La Salle set to name Gee Abanilla head coach
By Jasmine W. Payo
Philippine Daily Inquirer
10:10 pm | Thursday, October 20th, 2011

NHA TRANG, Vietnam—La Salle is set to turn over its senior basketball program to Gelacio “Gee” Abanilla as its head coach after over a decade with the Pumaren coaching brothers.

The appointment of Abanilla, an assistant coach of the Petron Blaze in the PBA, will be formally announced next week in a gathering of top school officials and team godfathers led by tycoon Danding Cojuangco, team sources said.

The Inquirer had earlier reported that Abanilla, a former playmaker for the Green Archers in the ’90s, had emerged as the frontrunner following the resignation of coach Dindo Pumaren last month.

Abanilla isn’t new to the La Salle bench as he also served as an assistant to Pumaren’s older brother Franz, who steered the Archers to five UAAP championships in 12 seasons starting in 1998.

Dindo took over in the last two years, but the Archers surprisingly struggled last season, finishing sixth place with a 5-9 win-loss record.

Derrick, the eldest of the Pumaren brothers, also called the shots for La Salle from 1986 to 1991, which was highlighted by title romps in 1989 and 1990.

Abanilla had been around the varsity scene, also mentoring La Salle’s sister team, St. Benilde, in the NCAA in 2008.

He also served as deputy coach for several PBA teams, including the Barako Bull and FedEx.

Comments

• PExkyPExky Member ✭✭
    Time to bring back home the crown in Taft. :naughty:
  • _Bahay_Kubo__Bahay_Kubo_ Banned by Admin PExer
    tjmanotoc TJ Manotoc

Finally confirmed from DLSU source: 100% final Gee Abanilla is new Archers Head Coach. Still to be finalized is Jong Uichico as Consultant
  • Ahura MazdaAhura Mazda Member ✭✭✭✭
    joey55villar Joey Villar
    Call Gee Abanilla as new head coach of La Salle and Jong Uichico as assistant!
    1 minute ago
  • TamunggoyTamunggoy Member PExer
    joey55villar Joey Villar
    Call Gee Abanilla as new head coach of La Salle and Jong Uichico as assistant!
    1 minute ago

Baka Consultant si Jong? Either way, he will be a valuable part of the coaching staff!
  • Ahura MazdaAhura Mazda Member ✭✭✭✭
    Ewan nga eh. According sa iba, consultant si Jong. Pero sabi niyan ni Joey Villar, assistant daw. Labo.

Baka "consultant" yung title niya pero assistant talaga siya. Parang sa Ginebra, co-coaches sila ni Siot on paper, pero sa hierarchy, assistant siya ni Siot.

EDIT: Scratch my earlier post.

NoliEala Noli Eala
    I think Jong is consultant. "@joey55villar: Call Gee Abanilla as new head coach of La Salle and Jong Uichico as assistant!"
    Gee Abanilla brings new philosophy to La Salle
    By Alder Almo (philstar.com) Updated October 24, 2011 02:32 PM

MANILA, Philippines – We might have seen the last of the Pumaren's patented full court press of La Salle in the UAAP this season.

With the impending appointment of Petron Blaze Boosters’ assistant coach Gee Abanilla as the new mentor of the Green Archers tomorrow, La Salle is heading towards a new direction.

“We will be announcing our new head coach officially tomorrow afternoon,” DLSU’s Director for Sports Development and UAAP Board representative Edwin Reyes told Philstar.com this morning via email that neither denied nor confirmed Abanilla’s appointment.

But a source privy to the details confirmed that the school had already picked Abanilla, replacing Dindo Pumaren, who resigned last month following La Salle’s dismal sixth place finish.

New philosophy

Abanilla, who was part of La Salle’s back-to-back championship teams in the UAAP in 1989-90, intends to veer away from the energy-zapping full court press and employ a system where he would maximize the players’ talents.

“As a coach, I believe in a balanced attack. I put premium on defense but at the same time kailangan may opensa din ako. Ang approach ko sa game is if we can get easy baskets, it’s ok. But one thing is for sure, I want to maximize the talents that I have,” Abanilla told Philstar.com in an exclusive interview after Petron’s 70-80 loss to Meralco in the PBA last night.

“What I envision for the team is to put the players in the position where they can succeed. I think I will focus on skills development and learning the strengths and weaknesses of each player. Then after learning that, I will utilize that to our advantage,” he added.

Full Circle

Abanilla first broke into the coaching scene in 1998 after La Salle hired him to assist Dindo’s younger brother Franz Pumaren, who led the school to five titles in 12 seasons, including a rare four-peat from 1998 to 2001. He later moved on to serve as deputy head coach to several PBA teams, including Red Bull, Fedex and currently Petron.

He also coached the College of St. Benilde Blazers to a 4-10 record in the NCAA in 2008 but left the coaching reins to current coach Richard del Rosario after just one season to concentrate more in the PBA.

With his impending return to La Salle, Abanilla’s coaching journey has come full circle.

“Definitely it’s an honor and it’s a privilege because La Salle gave me the break in coaching. Giving back something and teaching the kids, the younger players, is something I would love to do,” Abanilla said.

“First step sa akin is to get to know the players [kung sakaling maging official na ako na nga]. Nanggaling sila sa ibang sistema. Gusto ko mailatag ko sa kanila ang aking philosophy. Kailangang maintindihan nila ‘yun eh at konting panahon para magsama-sama. I’m optimistic na magiging ok naman ang team.”

Best option

La Salle forward Joshua Spider Webb, meanwhile, breathed an air of confidence with the looming change of environment in the team.

Webb, who watched his former coach Franz Pumaren in Shopinas.com’s fourth straight loss in the PBA – a 78-96 shellacking from Barako Bull – from the sidelines last Friday, welcomed the idea of Abanilla handling the squad.

“I’ve been hearing that stuff. With Coach Franz (Pumaren) coaching here [in the PBA], I guess that’s likely the best option,” Webb told Philstar.com.

“From what I’ve heard, coach Gee’s system is a lot different from what we’ve been doing in the past years in [La Salle],” Webb continued.

But only two months removed from the UAAP basketball season, Webb and the Archers have time on their side.

“We have six months to learn the [new] system. That’s a [pretty] long time to learn the system. Hopefully, we can do it by then.”

Then Webb, who battled injuries and was kept in La Salle’s doghouse for much part of this season, quickly held back and provided the swagger that the Archers will need to have to redeem themselves next season.

“I’m pretty confident that we can.”
    looks like we're going to have very good coaches. :)

Head Coach: Gee Abanilla
    Assistant Coaches: Jun Limpot, Tyrone Bautista plus two others
    Team Consultant: Jong Uichico
    Gee Abanilla formally named DLSU head coach
    abs-cbnNEWS.com
    Posted at 10/25/2011 8:04 PM | Updated as of 10/25/2011 11:04 PM

MANILA, Philippines - De La Salle University has officially announced the appointment of Gee Abanilla as the new head coach of the De La Salle Green Archers.

La Salle sports blog Go Archers confirmed that Abanilla has been hired as the head coach, with long-time PBA coach Jong Uichico as a team consultant.

Abanilla was a member of the Green Archers' back-to-back championship teams in 1989 and 1990 and became an assistant coach in La Salle under Franz Pumaren.

He will replace Dindo Pumaren, who resigned last month after the Green Archers sputtered to a 6th place finish in the UAAP Season 74.

InboundPass columnist Mike Abasolo said Abanilla will be a "welcome change" for the Green Archers.

"Gee will have big shoes to fill. He's filling in a legacy that has been glorified, the Pumaren family," Abasolo said in an interview with ANC's Top Story.

"I'm not saying Gee Abanilla is not a capable coach. He's been around, he's an excellent assistant. With the College of St. Benilde Blazers in the NCAA, he really performed well," Abasolo said.

Abanilla will most likely install major changes in the La Salle basketball system, which has been playing under the Pumaren style for several years now.

With Abanilla at the helm, the Green Archers will still be a defensive team but will no longer run the full-court pressure defense that has been their trademark.

"This will be a major change for the Green Archers," Abasolo said. "You will see a more different approach."

Abasolo acknowledged that La Salle may experience some difficulty as they will have to learn Abanilla's system of play, but "positive effects" can be expected from the team during next month's Philippine Collegiate Championship League.

Abanilla named Archers coach
    By Olmin Leyba (The Philippine Star) Updated October 26, 2011 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - Gee Abanilla was introduced to De La Salle University’s basketball supporters as the new head coach of the Green Archers yesterday, making his official appointment to the post all but a formality.

An official from the university’s sports office said DLSU Vice Chancellor for Lasallian Mission and Alumni Relations (VCLMAR) Bro. Bernie Oca told the DLSU “godfathers” of their choice of Abanilla as chief tactician during a consultation meeting at the Manila Polo Club.

Tycoon Danding Cojuangco, former PBA great Lim Eng Beng, former coach Franz Pumaren and broadcaster Mike Enriquez were among the DLSU “godfathers” and “elders” who attended the lunch-time gathering, according to the official.

The appointment of Abanilla, who was already introduced to the men’s basketball team earlier last week, will be formalized by today, said the source.

Also being considered in the new coaching staff are Jun Limpot, Juno Sauler and Tyrone Bautista.

Currently assistant at Petron Blaze in the PBA, Abanilla is set to take over the post vacated by Dindo Pumaren, who resigned after the Archers’ failure to reach the Final Four of the UAAP Season 74 men’s basketball tourney.

Abanilla played for La Salle-Zobel during his high school days and suited up for the Green Archers alongside Jun Limpot in back-to-back UAAP title romps in 1989 and 1990. He went to coaching after his playing years and served as lieutenant to Derrick Pumaren, Yeng Guiao, and now Ato Agustin at Petron.

He also handled DLSU’s sister school, College of St. Benilde in the NCAA in 2008.

The STAR sought Abanilla for comment but said he was in a meeting at presstime. In an earlier interview, he had expressed his desire to take the job, saying “it’s an honor to serve my alma mater and give back something to the school.”

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file