COMMUNITY NOTICE: Please send your reports, concerns and other inquiries to admin "pexer99". This account will handle all community functions for PinoyExchange. You can also email us at [email protected] For category related concerns, you can also send a message to one of our moderators. Check the updated list of moderators here.

CC | Kinakailangan Ba Talaga Na Magkaroon ng Credit Cards?

I encounter that every time I do online transactions all payment made by credit card. How come debit card cannot?

Comments

• hawaiiana808hawaiiana808 Member PExer
    im a visa card holder and i have to admit, it became one of my life essentials. self-control lang tlga. its most useful to me whenever i travel abroad. :)
  • LordVideoGameLordVideoGame Member PExer
    I have a checking card with a Visa logo which is very useful since it is accepted anywhere Visa is accepted and they simply take the amount from my bank account. It is very useful instead of bringing around cash.
  • clawed_outclawed_out Banned by Admin PExer
    why bring cash when you can bring your cards.

it is safer & convinient.
  • JENSIE_GJENSIE_G warm regards ✭✭✭
    pang-gasolina and grocery ko ang cards ko.

pero minsan nagagamit pag may emergency akong nagustuhan na 'luho' sa mall.

i never wanna run out of cash eh.

:teehee:
  • Squall_JapanSquall_Japan Member PExer
    Pag bili kang books/clothes online. Saka pag biling mga bagong appliances/gadgets na di mo mabayaran in one month...
  • geeksquadgeeksquad geek ng bayan! PExer
    i only use my mastercard for small purchases as of now such as food and gas, as well as for buying things online.

i still like the concept of keeping "utang" small.

:)
  • powerpuffpowerpuff AnGeL!cB!+cH PExer
    my credit cards r my life line! :glee: i can't leave the house without them. :D
  • bishopbishop amdg PExer
    Originally posted by clawed_out
    why bring cash when you can bring your cards.

why need a card when i've lots of cash?

:D
  • clawed_outclawed_out Banned by Admin PExer
    simple, cause if i get mugged they cant get anything from me. :)

having a plastic doesnt mean that you're broke & it doesn't mean na mangungutang ka.

it helps build your credit history. (besides they don't just give plastics to anyone- yung iba nga nagkakandarapa even faking their financial documents just to get one eh).
  • Ice BurnIce Burn Conflicting Karma ✭✭
    Necessity in the US. You can't get a loan, rent a nice place, buy a house, buy a car without a credit history.

There's a saying that having no credit history is the same as having a bad credit history.
  • jillpotjillpot globetrotter PExer
    cashless transactions. very convenient for me. plus i get to buy appliances and can pay them in monthly amortizations.
  • car728car728 :) PExer
    do any of you guys have an american express card? :)
  • angstangst Member PExer
    Originally posted by car728
    do any of you guys have an american express card? :)

I have one. It's a corporate card though. When I was assigned in the US, we were "required" to have one.
  • tennisacetennisace Der Kommissar ✭✭✭
    There are actually 3 types of cards:

Credit cards, like Visa and Mastercard
    Charge cards, like American Express
    Debit cards or check cards that are tied to your bank account

A credit card involves a revolving credit line. Meaning, you are given a set amount that you can borrow (or charge) against. A credit card allows you to keep a balance (with corresponding interest, of course). This, in my opinion, is the quickest way to get into a lifetime of debt. Credit cards are like a double-edged sword. It’s nice to have, but it can also kill you financially. You have to know when and how to use it wisely and properly.

A charge card does not allow you to keep a running balance. Whatever you charge, you have to pay in full when it is due.

When using a debit or check card, whatever you charge is automatically deducted from your bank account.

There is only one card that you should be wearing out, and that is American Express. Credit bureaus rank AMEX the highest, and having a great history with AMEX gets you some extra credit points. Of course, all your other financial obligations must also be current. Use AMEX to buy everything. Since you are obligated to pay the balance in full, you will be forced to watch out for your money and keep within budget.

You may keep one Visa or Mastercard (with no annual fee) but use it sparingly or only when the merchant does not accept Amex. If you use it, pay off the balance in full. I think it’s ridiculous to buy something with a Visa card and pay it off monthly with interest. No wonder these credit card companies are getting rich while you struggle with debt.

It would be financially wise to keep no more than two cards: one AMEX, and one Visa/Mastercard.

Debit or check cards may be convenient but I don’t advocate the use of it. Why? Let me explain.

One forumer asks, “why need a card when i've lots of cash?”

My answer to that is, “why use your own money when you can use other people’s money?” If you have lots of cash, then you should know the value and benefits of floating.

If I pay cash, I lose it immediately. If I use a debit card, it comes out of my bank account immediately. Same thing.
    If I use Visa/Mastercard, I have 25-30 days to pay for it (in full, of course).
    If I use American Express, I have 30-45 days to pay for it.

That means, with the two cards, my money has an extra 25-45 days to go to work for me. Meanwhile, I just used other people’s money to pay for my purchase. You pay cash or use a debit card, you’re kissing your own money goodbye at once. Paying cash especially in big amounts may impress people, but it is financially stupid. Let me tell you, though. If you like to impress people, nothing is more impressive than whipping out an American Express Platinum card.

One thing you should keep in mind if you’re a credit card user: If you can’t afford to pay for it in full, you can’t afford it, period.

Use credit wisely.
  • Ice BurnIce Burn Conflicting Karma ✭✭
    I have AMEX. Has the best protection against fraud.
  • ponsoponso Member PExer
    Just as what I said on the other thread: Credit Cards will give you a false sense of having something which you don't have...to spend on things which you really don't need...in order to please people which you really don't like!
  • DunedainDunedain NINJAneer gone Indie! ✭✭✭
    Oh, I don't know about the the false sense thingy, but I do enjoy the priveledge of purchasing stuff online when it's not available in stores. :D
  • ponsoponso Member PExer
    I guess the stuff online are really your "NEEDS" and not just things that are "NICE TO HAVE BUT NOT REALLY NEEDED" stuff. If then you are really priveledge. Sometimes us Pinoys have a little ability to distinguish our "NEEDS" from our "WANTS". Anyway, it's just me...Just want to purchase in cash.
  • roadrage23roadrage23 Scrutineer ✭✭
    I use my credit card for paying utilities, groceries and eating out with my family. Then I pay the amount in full on due date, just like a charge card. But like tennisace, I appreciate the cash float from prudent credit card use. :)
  • jazzyjazzy Eskapology.com PExer
    Mine mostly on online business and purchases. At times on emergency. I was once short of cash while in Boracay, luckily master card rescued me. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file