FEATURE ADJUSTMENT: The Flag button is temporarily unavailable for members. We are doing certain system adjustments as of the moment to prevent some users from abusing this feature. For reports, please message the moderators or email us at [email protected]
PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at [email protected] Thank you!

Philippines 2000: Nasaan Na??

Nung Panahon ni Dating Pangulong Fidel Ramos ay inasahan na magiging NIC ang Pilipinas sa Taong 2000, Pero 2001 na at mukhang Developing Country pa rin ang bansa natin. At dapat nga hindi na Developing Country itawag sa bansa natin kung hindi, "Not So Developing Country" :-) Lahat ng papuri na natanggap ng Pilipinas nung panahon ni Ramos ay naging mga panlalait na.

Dapat siguro ay Philippines 3000 na ang maging slogan ni Pangulong Gloria Macapagal Arroyo. Sa dami ng problema ng Pilipinas, sa dami ng utang, sa dami ng tao, sa dami ng bulok na opisyal, sa dami ng nakawan, bulsahan na nangyayari sa pamahalaan, sa dami ng kidnapping, sa dami ng kasong tambak tambak, sa dami ng bangayan at awayan at siraan ng pulitoko, at dahil sa kung ano ano pang kabulukan ng ating pamahalaan ay isang mirakulo lang ang puwede nating asahan para matawag na NIC ang bansa natin.

Kung dati nasa tuktok tayo ngayon ay unti unti nang nalulugmok ang bansa natin sa putikan. Kelan kaya makaka bangon ang Pilipinas at kunin muli ang kagalang kagalang na posisyon nito sa mundo?? May Pag-Asa pa ba o wala na??

Comments

• harley quinnharley quinn Member PExer
    Sabi nga nila, habang may buhay, may pag-asa!:wink:

But I certainly know what you mean---the magnitude of our nation's problems breaks hearts and backs. Able leadership is one of the major things we need to get us back on track. I certainly hope GMA's administration is it.
  • the antagonistthe antagonist Member PExer
    car plates.. reminds us how good our leaders are..
  • JuliusJulius Banned by Admin PExer
    Double Post...
    I was at the TV program D?bate again. The theme was, "Mga Pangako ni GMA, mapapako?" Will GMA's SONA promises fail? The negative panel was composed of the Left, Teddy Casi?o and co., and I. On the affirmative side were Cabinet secretaries Roxas, Defensor, Canlas and Boncodin, who argued that there's money and sincerity. The Left argued that "globalization" ensures GMA will deliver on her promises. They were all Edsa Dos forces against each other. I said I was not at Edsa Dos knowing it would not change things. I said that what this country needs is currency and capital controls like Malaysia.

Even if Boncodin and Canlas keep reiterating they have provided funds for the programs the pipsqueak acting President promised in her Sona, that budget will soon be cut down by more devaluation of the peso. That's what has been happening to all administrations starting 1962 when Mrs. Arroyo's father, Diosdado Macapagal, "decontrolled" the Philippine economy. Decontrol was the old name for "liberalization" and within weeks of Dadong Macapagal's takeover of Malaca?ang the peso devalued from P2 to the dollar down to P3.80.

Unless and until the sovereignty of the nation is restored over its currency and capital, we can be certain that the capacity of the budget set down for any program will be cut down by external forces in no time at all. Canlas and Boncodin know this, but particularly Mar Roxas who was also secretary of Trade under Estrada. Yet they insist on skirting the issue and continue trying to foist false hopes. Housing Secretary Mike Defensor can be excused, I don't think he knows anything much over and above the cute but irrelevant little generalities he dishes out. (probably makes sense only at Padi's Point)

What really got my ire that night was Roxas, for trying to palm off the worn arguments for "free enterprise," citing South Korea and Japan. He would have cited more if I had not interrupted and exposed his lie. All these countries were not "free enterprise" economies during their take-off, and even today they are fighting tooth and nail to push back the tide of Western-imposed "free trade." They were all protectionist like Malaysia today, the case that I chose to anchor my argument on. Malaysia imposed controls in 1998 to stem the tide of financial crisis and succeeded.

During the break that followed, my running battle with Roxas continued. He dared to pass off another piece of disinformation, saying that Malaysia had high unemployment. "Hellooo," I said, the Philippines has over 50,000 OFWs in Malaysia. He tried to wriggle himself out of that one by saying that Malaysia has a small population (ergo, he was trying to say, they need to import labor). I replied that the Philippines has a bigger internal market (like Japan) with 76.5 million people and should have a stronger economy. Roxas had no other arguments than to say, "But that was what Marcos did."

That last line again sent me into a rage. They (the Edsa I and Edsa Dos people) think everybody else is a nincompoop they can fool by using this boogeyman, Marcos, or alternately Estrada, when their arguments fail. I roared like a lion, "Not everything Marcos did was bad." In fact, I am willing to debate with anybody the case that Marcos did less damage to the nation than Dadong Macapagal, Cory and Ramos individually; and inversely, Marcos did more good than all three combined, although all of them had one common enemy ? the floating exchange rate and liberalized capital flows.

The difference between Marcos and the rest is that he fought it; the rest embraced it. Marcos worked on the Binondo Central Bank to save the peso in the wake of the 1983 Ninoy assassination crisis, but the Makati Business Club's Jobo Fernandez worked with the IMF to destroy the Philippine peso and economy. Marcos lost, and we've not recovered from that yet. But getting too far ahead of our title which is about lies and anger. When I got home my wife wasn't happy with my show of temper on the program, but I also got a long stream of "texts" saying "kudos" to my ire.

.... Marcos was such a brilliant mind. If only people will realize that media has brainwash them in hating the man so much....
  • reybeldereybelde zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz PExer
    It's gone kaput. Most of us know that the Philippines 2000 is actually the period of privitizations of government agencies and some sort of economic boom (credit that to Ramos na kung saan na-bail out tayo from being called the Sick Man of Asia). Problem is, nagpatali tayo sa mga dikta ng imperyalistang financial institutions ng US gaya ng IMF-WB at mga imperyalistang organisasyon tulad ng Apec at Gatt. Kung wala lang yang imperialist intervention eh naging maganda sana ang programang Philippines 2000. That's my 2 cents worth the issue.

*pexadik*
    By Jake Martin.

During the reign of then First Lady Imelda Romualdez Marcos, the Cultural Center of the Philippines (CCP), as center for culture and arts, had made possible the dreams of a number of artists who had aspired for excellence in their own fields.

We have Cecille Licad, the piano virtuoso, who, along with a number of prime ballet dancers, Alice Reyes and Nonoy Froilan, were given full support by Mrs. Marcos herself. They were sent to top art schools overseas to excel in their own fields and have proved their worth.

A lot of my friends who once worked at the CCP for Ballet Philippines and marketing department could attest to Imelda's "pampering" — allow me to use the term — of the workers there. When then President Corazon Aquino came in, most of the artists, to include personnel on the administrative side, were practically losing their enthusiasm to stay because, according to them, "they were dumped like garbage."

There were hardly any budget for the center's growth at that time, and if there was, it could barely meet the needs of the whole arts center.

I don't really care much about her Imeldific lifestyle, alright, but in all fairness, CCP, under Imelda's management, had provided the Filipinos with vivacious world-class performance and its artists with privileges those which were not enjoyed by others immediately after her guardianship.

The past three administrations had seen CCP's decay and the disappointments of its resident artists.

CCP, as it is now, I think, is going down the drain.

Yeah... it was a good life back then... hmmmm..... better just migrate to another country .... Philippines is hopeless....
  • irayairaya Member PExer
    I said that what this country needs is currency and capital controls like Malaysia.

Philippines is not Malaysia. The economy of Malaysia is strong enough that investors are willing to take the risk of investing in the country even if there is a one year hold period on their investments. Malaysia had no capital control prior to the 1998 financial crisis. In fact, its progress can be partly attributed to the liberalized capital flow. Foreign investments helped propel the Malaysian economy to where it is now. It imposed the control to protect its gains. What gain is there for us to protect?
    Marcos did less damage to the nation than Dadong Macapagal, Cory and Ramos individually; and inversely, Marcos did more good than all three combined, although all of them had one common enemy — the floating exchange rate and liberalized capital flows.

On who among the past presidents did more good than harm to this country is a matter of perception, a matter of which side of the political spectrum you belong or adhere. But what are the facts? The country had recessions after the Aquino assasination and the Gringo led coup attempts. These are political events that greatly affected our economy. Exchange rates and capital flows went to our disadvantage. Assuming these two events did not occur, would we be in a better position now? I think so. But since that is not the case, let's give GMA a chance. A year is a short period for her to deliver some of her promises. If she fails, then let's all join forces and demand explanation why she failed to deliver.
  • nibamasonibamaso Speak your mind PExer
    Kalokohan lang yan ni fvr para maloko niya ang mga tao! Maraming ngang nauto!
  • gwapsgwaps tulog ... PExer
    gimik lang ni Ramos 'to. parang EDSA 92 during his campaign trail. but I admit, the economy during the first three years of his term (that time na $1 = P25) was better than the previous two administrations.

alala ko pa, gumanda bigla Pinas during the APEC summit. kaso, ang style e tinago lang yung mga baho. imagine, lagyan ba naman ng pader yung mga eyesoar sa manila. tas yung mga pulubi e pinaalis sa lansangan ng ilang araw lang ...
  • in fairness to Ramos...mas umusbong naman ang ekonomiya natin kaysa sa panahon ni Cory...at siempre ni Erap. Yung Philippines 2000 ni Ramos..maganda sana ang mga programa..ngunit di naman binigyan ng pansin ni Erap after he succeeded him. Actually kung pagaaralan mo ang mga unang taon ng administrasyon ni Erap ..walang programa eh..walang medium term/long-term plans..puros short-term lamang. HIndi nya pinansin yung Phil 2000..sana mas napagaralan nya yung relevancy nito sa panahon.....pero wala eh....bobo talaga.
  • DarthScullyDarthScully StarWarsChick PExer
    Originally posted by Julius
    I replied that the Philippines has a bigger internal market (like Japan) with 76.5 million people and should have a stronger economy. Roxas had no other arguments than to say, "But that was what Marcos did."

That last line again sent me into a rage. They (the Edsa I and Edsa Dos people) think everybody else is a nincompoop they can fool by using this boogeyman, Marcos, or alternately Estrada, when their arguments fail. I roared like a lion, "Not everything Marcos did was bad." In fact, I am willing to debate with anybody the case that Marcos did less damage to the nation than Dadong Macapagal, Cory and Ramos individually; and inversely, Marcos did more good than all three combined, although all of them had one common enemy — the floating exchange rate and liberalized capital flows.

The difference between Marcos and the rest is that he fought it; the rest embraced it. Marcos worked on the Binondo Central Bank to save the peso in the wake of the 1983 Ninoy assassination crisis, but the Makati Business Club's Jobo Fernandez worked with the IMF to destroy the Philippine peso and economy. Marcos lost, and we've not recovered from that yet. But getting too far ahead of our title which is about lies and anger. When I got home my wife wasn't happy with my show of temper on the program, but I also got a long stream of "texts" saying "kudos" to my ire.

.... Marcos was such a brilliant mind. If only people will realize that media has brainwash them in hating the man so much....

my goodness Julius, we actually agree on something :)

i'm not that pro-Marcos, but i do remember the quality of life degenerated during the Aquino administration, and that angers and saddens me a lot. i mean this guy Marcos actually made the Philippines progress, roads, schools, bulidings, hospitals, institutions, government programs all those that is still in existence today (even if they were renamed) was atrributed to this guy. there are tangible results. i thought by the end of Ramos' term things were looking up, but then we all know what happened next....
  • gwapsgwaps tulog ... PExer
    Originally posted by cathartic_gigs
    in fairness to Ramos...mas umusbong naman ang ekonomiya natin kaysa sa panahon ni Cory...at siempre ni Erap. Yung Philippines 2000 ni Ramos..maganda sana ang mga programa..ngunit di naman binigyan ng pansin ni Erap after he succeeded him. Actually kung pagaaralan mo ang mga unang taon ng administrasyon ni Erap ..walang programa eh..walang medium term/long-term plans..puros short-term lamang. HIndi nya pinansin yung Phil 2000..sana mas napagaralan nya yung relevancy nito sa panahon.....pero wala eh....bobo talaga.

Ramos has his own share of scandals .... the FVR Megadike and Pampanga Expo to name a few. But yes sabi ko nga, I agree that the economy was far better during his term than that of Cory, Erap and GMA.

anyways i think nagkaroon ng rebidding on most of the projects that were already awarded to different contractors when Erap's administration started. And most projects completed during Erap's term was from Ramos' administration.

Example na lang yung expressway sa Batangas. Dati, puro Philippines 2000 nakalagay don. nagpalit lang ng presidente, puro Angat Pinoy 2004 na nakikita ko.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file