COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance. Please update your email address.

Thanks,
pexer99

Petroleum Engineering Course - Mahirap ba?

part_timepart_time Member PEx Rookie ⭐
Hi..I did research Petroleum Engineering course and I found out that this course is quite in demand in Middle East. I think 2 state univ are offering this course, but im not sure if BSU is better than PSU in terms of quality/standard..Does anyone here knows about petroleum engineering..?

Comments

• DacsDacs Bummed bу Αdmin PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    It is in demand in Middle East and these guys normally get huge salaries for the work that they do.

And I think that these guys will be more in demand in the future when we need to explore more for potential sources of oil.

I can't (and I'm in no place to) say which of 2 schools is better, but I came to rub elbows from PSU more than BSU graduates (if it helps at all) in my field (which is also Oil and Gas, but downstream like Oil Refinery)

Good luck :)
  • TTJTTJ Web Shooter PExer
    Dacs,di ba may existing thread na dito where someone talked about PetChE? di ko na maalala kung anong thread yun.:lol: taga BSU ata yun tapos sabi nya may internship daw sya sa Australia ata.
  • I know for a fact that Petroleum Engineering ranks as the highest-paying job (with just a Bachelor's degree). understandably, it's also the hardest to finish.

http://www.payscale.com/best-colleges/degrees.asp

I can't say much on which university is better when it comes to PE. As far as I know, both schools boast the fact that they're the only schools which and can provide the program.
  • renwockrenwock Member PExer
    Batangas State University re-opened their Petroleum Engineering program only last 2009, while Palawan State University has been continuously offering it since 1995.

In BSU, they say that Petroleum Engineering is only a fall back course if you can't make it to Mechanical Engineering (we all know BSU is known for its ME program) while in PSU, Petroleum Engineering gets more attention from the school administration.

Also, PSU is recognized by the international organization Society of Petroleum Engineers as shown here:

http://www.energy4me.org/careerscholarships/petroleum-engineering-and-technology-schools/

For the record, two recipients of Star Scholarship awarded by Society of Petroleum Engineers in Asia Pacific region are from PSU. Each has been granted more than $2,500 for one whole year.

We are yet to have a forum with the Batangas counterpart, but it's probably going to happen next year as they plan to give Palawan State University a visit.
  • WillpowerWillpower _Schadenfreude_'s alternick PExer
    Ngayon ko lang nalaman yan... :hmm:
  • menlaermenlaer Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    meron pala nito sa pilipinas...ngayon ko lang din nalaman 'to.
  • TTJTTJ Web Shooter PExer
    renwock wrote: »
    Batangas State University re-opened their Petroleum Engineering program only last 2009, while Palawan State University has been continuously offering it since 1995.

In BSU, they say that Petroleum Engineering is only a fall back course if you can't make it to Mechanical Engineering (we all know BSU is known for its ME program) while in PSU, Petroleum Engineering gets more attention from the school administration.

Also, PSU is recognized by the international organization Society of Petroleum Engineers as shown here:

http://www.energy4me.org/careerscholarships/petroleum-engineering-and-technology-schools/

For the record, two recipients of Star Scholarship awarded by Society of Petroleum Engineers in Asia Pacific region are from PSU. Each has been granted more than $2,500 for one whole year.

We are yet to have a forum with the Batangas counterpart, but it's probably going to happen next year as they plan to give Palawan State University a visit.

post ka naman ng pics dun sa pinuntahan nyong international conference.
    TTJ wrote: »
    post ka naman ng pics dun sa pinuntahan nyong international conference.

sige sir, eto ang ilan sa mga photos during our trip:

320972_255710531139600_212053868838600_783317_749552123_n.jpg

upon our arrival at Soekarno-Hatta International Airport. A total of 19 students and one university faculty from Petroleum Engineering department

DSC_6674.jpg

exhibitors at Jakarta Convention Center

during Petrobowl Competition:

DSC_6792-1.jpg

these are the schools that competed for this year's Petrobowl.
    4 countries, 10 schools, 17 teams since some Indonesian and Thai universities sent more than two teams.

1. Universitas Pembangunan Nasional (Indonesia) - winner
    2. Chulalongkorn University (Thailand) - 1st place
    3. Palawan State University (Philippines) - 2nd place

DSC_6795.jpg

DSC_6851.jpg

this was the battle for second place.

Palawan State University (120 points) won against University of Western Australia (80 points) placing PSU on 2nd place.

For the past couple of years, PSU has been sending (own expenses) participants to Asia Pacific Oil and Gas Conference and Exhibition (APOGCE) to Indonesia (2009) and Australia (2010) but this was the first time a team from PSU joined the Petrobowl competition. We are happy that the large Philippine team went back to Palawan with a recognition from the committee and other student chapters from different parts of the world. Next year's event will take place in Perth, Australia.

Also, Palawan State and Batangas State University sent Petroleum Engineering students to China a week after this event was held. They attended international forum that was sponsored by a Chinese university.

okay, I'm going back to Travel and Leisure forum. :D
  • earlgerminaearlgermina Member PExer
    renwock wrote: »
    sige sir, eto ang ilan sa mga photos during our trip:

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l9/badong_01_2006/320972_255710531139600_212053868838600_783317_749552123_n.jpg

upon our arrival at Soekarno-Hatta International Airport. A total of 19 students and one university faculty from Petroleum Engineering department

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l9/badong_01_2006/DSC_6674.jpg

exhibitors at Jakarta Convention Center

during Petrobowl Competition:

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l9/badong_01_2006/DSC_6792-1.jpg

these are the schools that competed for this year's Petrobowl.
    4 countries, 10 schools, 17 teams since some Indonesian and Thai universities sent more than two teams.

1. Universitas Pembangunan Nasional (Indonesia) - winner
    2. Chulalongkorn University (Thailand) - 1st place
    3. Palawan State University (Philippines) - 2nd place

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l9/badong_01_2006/DSC_6795.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l9/badong_01_2006/DSC_6851.jpg

this was the battle for second place.

Palawan State University (120 points) won against University of Western Australia (80 points) placing PSU on 2nd place.

For the past couple of years, PSU has been sending (own expenses) participants to Asia Pacific Oil and Gas Conference and Exhibition (APOGCE) to Indonesia (2009) and Australia (2010) but this was the first time a team from PSU joined the Petrobowl competition. We are happy that the large Philippine team went back to Palawan with a recognition from the committee and other student chapters from different parts of the world. Next year's event will take place in Perth, Australia.

Also, Palawan State and Batangas State University sent Petroleum Engineering students to China a week after this event was held. They attended international forum that was sponsored by a Chinese university.

okay, I'm going back to Travel and Leisure forum. :D

How hard is Petroleum Engineering? I am a Freshman Comsci student from University of the Philippines, Los Banos and i'm planning on taking it as my course. me and my parents already went to Batangas State University to inquire :))
  • czeuthczeuth Member PExer
    How hard is Petroleum Engineering? I am a Freshman Comsci student from University of the Philippines, Los Banos and i'm planning on taking it as my course. me and my parents already went to Batangas State University to inquire :))

dapat UP meron din nito!!!
  • kelunjikelunji Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    czeuth wrote: »
    dapat UP meron din nito!!!

Its too specialized for a bachelor course. The closest in UP would be BS Geology, just take extra units in petroleum studies.
  • elbonitoelbonito Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    the best track would be to take geology or mining engineering and then get an MS in energy engineering in UP.

petroleum engineering is actually gradually being renamed to energy engineering in schools, since the curriculum is going beyond petroleum and into other energy resources, like renewables. UC Berkeley and Stanford have done this.
  • czeuthczeuth Member PExer
    kelunji wrote: »
    Its too specialized for a bachelor course. The closest in UP would be BS Geology, just take extra units in petroleum studies.

maraming salamat sa reply kelunji!

may I ask if you also are employed as petroleum professional there in japan right now?
  • kelunjikelunji Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    czeuth wrote: »
    maraming salamat sa reply kelunji!

may I ask if you also are employed as petroleum professional there in japan right now?

No, I'm studying geophysics (I suppose it can be applied to petroleum exploration as well as geothermals). My point is you have a lot of options when you finish geology than simply trying to fit into a single profession. There are a lot of geologists employed in the petroleum industry.
  • earlgerminaearlgermina Member PExer
    kelunji wrote: »
    No, I'm studying geophysics (I suppose it can be applied to petroleum exploration as well as geothermals). My point is you have a lot of options when you finish geology than simply trying to fit into a single profession. There are a lot of geologists employed in the petroleum industry.

If ever na makuha ko po yung True Copy of Grades ko tsaka GWA from the College Sec on November 5, we'll be going on BSU to inquire. :)
  • I am 35 years old and wish to study PET what do you think guys.
  • PolyphasePolyphase Member PExer
    I am 35 years old and wish to study PET what do you think guys.

Why not? Enrile was 27 when he pursued law.

But it would take you at least 3 years if you did not pursue an engineering degree in college.

You have to take a lot of math classes. Actually, every subject in engineering is a math class.

Electrical Engineer here.
    Franciswilson, follow your heart.

Earl, both schools are okay. Tignan mo na lang kung saan ka mas kumportable pag binisita mo sila parehas.

I graduated from Palawan State University (Petroleum Engineering) in April 2013 and now I'm working at drilling fluid segment of Schlumberger in Qatar.

Napawi din lahat ng paghihirap ko. Hehe
  • AngelicaJSAngelicaJS Member PExer
    Woow. Mahirap talaga sya? Ano po experiences o paghihirap na nadaanan nyo pag college?
  • hello guys!

im from batstate u, registered Electronics Engr. i have batchmates who studied pet eng there. pero parang gsto ko PSU *** maiba naman.. im currently working in UAE. pero parang gusto ko **** mag Pet Eng.

Share naman po *** mga transferee jan kun ilang years *** nagtake nito, *** mga ECEs din po.. nag iicp icp ako kc 26 na ako *****.. parang late na..

@renwock_hello! pde ba kita iadd sa facebook?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file